Thread: traveling being vegan...

Default traveling being vegan...

this is my first year being vegan, and for the summer vacation we are taking a plane trip to some island... since the past year, ive dropped 80lbs, and im still watching my weight and at the same time trying to stay constantly vegan and i know going on vacation will be very hard... i want to desinate a bag of luggage and pack all my diet/vegan foods when i go so i have my food for the week... does anyone knw if airports allow you to pack a luggage full of foods for travel? i was thinking some cans of food, meal bars, vacumed sealed box of almond milk, dry cerals etc. is this possible? i should be excited for the vacation and im more worried for the week of eating...

Default Re: traveling being vegan...

Travelling as a vegan can sometimes be a real pain in the bum. It really does depend where you're going though, 'some island' isn't a lot of info! In terms of bringing food, I've travelled from Asia to Europe with a few treats in my bag and it was no problem. Honestly though, wherever you're going, I think you're better off investigating the local food and seeing what can be veganised, or even what's already vegan! Obviously you need to bring a few things in case you get caught out, but for me, half the fun of travelling is tasting local food, and even if you are on a diet, you still need to enjoy your holiday.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Jamaica is very vegan friendly, for those planning on going there The all inclusive resorts are fantastic.

I am not as strict anymore as a vegan when I'm travellng like I used to be. That doesn't mean I go around ordering steaks and such. I still read labels if it's in a language i can understand. i still explain in restaurants what i want, use my common sense a lot, but don't ask the absolute pants of of everyone and everything which is what i do at home. i always bring a multi vitamin with me on travels, am packed on vegan snacks, but am very happy to eat really basic food, or not varied if need be. so far, ive found it pretty easy to be vegan in various countries, especially the westernized ones. almost everywhere you go on the planet people will have some frut or veg to eat.