Thread: The wonders of sleep after becoming a vegan

Question The wonders of sleep after becoming a vegan

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this :
    Before I was a vegan, I slept horrible. I would wake up in the middle of the night, sometimes not being able to go back to bed, or even not be able to fall asleep at all. So, long story short, I slept horrible
    But once I became a vegan, I am sleeping wonderful! I no longer wake up in the middle of the night (if i do its to use the bathroom and I fall right back to sleep) I easily fall asleep when its that bed time, and I sleep so soundly
    Anyone know the reason for this? I'm thinking its cause of all the toxins that we get from animal fats that cause us horrible sleep ?

Default Re: The wonders of sleep after becoming a vegan

Glad to hear you've noticed a positive effect! Can't say I noticed much change myself, but I was a student at the time so I spent most of the day in bed anyway
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Has your coffee - tea or chocolate consumption differed? Wondering if it is due to a lack of caffeine? If it is - other aspects of your health will improve as well.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Really interesting to hear, but I haven't noticed this difference myself. I have heard before that what you eat and at what times can influence how you sleep. I don't sleep well after a heavy dinner for instance. Vegan food tends to be lighter easier to digest which might help. Also, maybe you had a food intolerance. I wasn't good with lactose dairy or meats (only realised when after stopped), I used to think feeling sick every other day was just going to be part of the rest of my life. Good point about the caffeine. Are you also exercising more or having less stress? These things are also big factors when it comes to our quality of sleep.

I have noticed this and it has only been one week that I am back to veganism. I notice that when I cut out soy it is even better- which is why I am aiming to be a soy-free vegan I used to suffer from insomnia but not anymore.

I've noticed this too. I sleep better and feel more rested when I wake up. Before going vegan I used to wake up still tired.

Can't say that I've noticed for myself, but there again sleep patterns are controlled by so many things - food, drink, work patterns, family demands, whatever worries are cooking at that time, the local environment, general health etc., etc. - but great for you if you have noticed this.

5 years ago I took early retirement from a working lifetime of shift work. Even 5 years on, no amount of anything will convince my body to think night is night and day is day. Which is why it is 1.45am as I write this and there is still no sign of Mr. Nod.
    "Nostalgia is not what it used to be"

I used to have the worst freaking sleep problems ever (I mean I wouldn't ever sleep before 6-7am, ruined an entire year of college for me, and nearly took my health with it in my pre-vegan days :\ ) and I agree, going vegan has helped-- though I also have done other things to improve my sleep health (get out for walks early in the morning, no caffeine ever in the afternoon, no alcohol, shut off computer and TV by 8 pm)... But I have done all those things before and it hasn't helped as much as it does now, for sure, so I think going vegan may have been a factor indeed. Either way I get to sleep by 11 pm often and it's like a miracle! Hopefully this isnt a fluke and it remains this way for me