Thread: Have you ever eaten meat in your dreams since going vegan?

Question Have you ever eaten meat in your dreams since going vegan?

Hi all!
    I am a new vegan - approximately two weeks now - and to the forum too, but not to the idea of veganism. The veil was finally lifted rather recently and there's no turning back now

Tell me, has anyone else had this experience? I did not find a similar thread when I searched for it, but again, I'm new at this.

Last night I dreamed I was mindlessly eating a sausage until I it dawned on me halfway through munching that the sausage was meat! Eek! I was shocked that I had 'forgotten' that I do not eat animal products and immediately recognized what I was doing as gross and stopped eating. I know that I am committed to being a lifelong vegan, but my mindless eating dream startled me. It was the texture that bothered me most- large globules of fat from the 'breakfast sausage' in my mouth! Bleh! Have you had dreams of eating meat? I'm curious to hear about your experiences too.

Be well

Default Re: Have you ever eaten meat in your dreams since going vegan?

Lol Welcome to the forums

I've had 2 or 3 dreams about eating meat. Usually burgers. I'll be happily eating away then realize that burgers aren't vegan. I knew I was vegan but had somehow forgotten that meat wasn't. I'm surprised at how utterly stupid I am when I'm asleep I figured it's probably just cravings over the day that you don't really think about until you turn your brain off for the day.

hi! i'm sure i've read posts elsewhere or in a specific thread about this. might've been the dream thread?!
    i bet there's loads of us..it'll be really common.
    i dream occassioanally i'm eating meat. i'm distresed atm that i can't spell occassionally.
    the dreams are usually some kind of <<gack!>> moment. like in the dream i do it or don't realise it, then do and it's a comedy moment trying to scrape it off my tongue..yep, after having 'forgotten'. still have them now, so not sure its a 'new vegan' thing??
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

There's a bit about it in this (extremely long) thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...-Dreams/page19

I think with me it's a variant of other anxiety dreams, like the one where you have to take an exam you haven't revised for or the one where you can't find your car in the car park. A lot of people have anxiety dreams at this time of year, prompted by having to go back to work or school, I gather.

many (many!!) years ago when I first became veggie - it was about two weeks after - I dreamt I was eating a ham sandwich. I woke up in a cold sweat and had that awful feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you know you've done something awful. It took me a minute or so of waking up fully to realise it was just a dream and I hadn't actually done it and omg the relief when I realised! I think this kind of dream is probably quite common although I've never had another since.

I've never had a dream where I've eaten meat, at least not since I stopped eating it (8-9 years ago) but I have had numerous dreams where people around me are over indulging in greasy meats. I remember one dream involving me having a picnic with some friends and my boyfriend (who happened to be Ryan Reynolds *cough*) and my friend offered me a tub of big, fat sausages. I said I didn't want any and she started shoving them in her mouth and eating them with such gluttony that the grease running down her chin woke me up feeling nauseous.

I don't think I've dreamt about eating meat, but I did dream I was eating a big cream cake. I remember I was vaguely aware that it wasn't vegan and also I was relieved that it wasn't very nice, so I wasn't missing anything (so not an anxiety dream, more of a reassurance dream! )
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yeah, loads of times. I usually realise halfway through the burger/sausage/whatever I'm eating, freak out, and then wake up. It doesn't bother me really, I ate meat for twenty years, it was a part of my life and I often dream about things and people who used to be a part of my life.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I don't recall ever having had a dream where I've ate or drank anything! Even tho' frequently have quite vivid dreams and I know I've been in a cafe or a restaurant it's the people or other details that I remember!
    L'esprit de l'escargot

I had some similar experiences too. One day my mum was making burgers. She had prepared the meat and onions and all the spices. So, I said to her very politely, "Can you put no eggs, so I will be able to eat too." It took me some time to realize what I had just said. In my dreams I often see me eating meat and all dairy products. Its probably a subconsious thing. Your mind forgets that you are not eating those stuff anymore. :P :P

I cannot remember ever dreaming of such things myself, I had no idea it was so common though. Kind of surprised me..
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

No, lately I only dream that people are trying to get me to eat it again. Nightmare!
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

not a chef yet

I used to have them a lot more but now if I have a nightmare centred around meat, it's usually of having to watch animals being slaughtered and not being able to do anything while getting splattered with blood. Luckily, I hardly ever dream (that I remember), so I don't have dreams like this often at all. I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's not very nice, but it's a sign that you care and want to maintain your veganism. As you are so new to veganism, it's quite likely they'll become less and less frequent as veganism becomes more ingrained into your day-to-day life, and if they don't I'd just see them as a reminder of a phase of your life you really don't want to revisit.

I've dreamt of it before and i was panicking when i woke up but i found out that it was only a dream. I felt relief after i woke up.
    Carrot!

I've had nightmares where I've eaten a food in the dream and then suddenly realised it's got animal products in. Usually then I wake up and panic as sometimes I think I've actually eaten it :P I have to then reassure myself that it was just a dream haha
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Sigh... I just had a dream last night that I bit into a pepper and there was all of this rotten meat inside of it oozing out and then a turtle (yes, a turtle) ran out of it in fear while I ran after it... It was very, very sad, but at least it was just a dream

Ick, how horrid Winkleplum. To look on the bright side, with dreams like that staying vegan doesn't take much effort!

Lol Winkleplum!

I've not had many meat eating dreams. I know I had a few when I just turned vegan, but can't remember having any of these for years and years. I do dream every now and then that I'm binging on very non-vegan looking chocolate cakes filled with cream, bonbons, well basically anything with chocolate and looking really unhealthy. I think it's just my body telling me to eat more chocolate you need it!

Yes, very important to keep one's chocolate levels up

Can't say I remember any of my dreams having featured eating or drinking. Those that might have done are more likely to have involved ME being the menu, which, actually, is why I am up at 2.40 am writing this.
    "Nostalgia is not what it used to be"

I have them all the time. I always feel really sick in the dream and then upon waking. I really hate those...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I had a horrible nightmare a few months ago where I had forgotten I was vegan and was eating meat, when suddenly I found out (a little fuzzy on the details here) that I had been eating my cat all along! The rest of the dream consisted of me sobbing and trying to put my cat back together *shudder*. I gave him a big hug when I woke up.
    "You keep using that word; I don't think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya

I have had a few dreams of eating meat. The first one was startling. I think I may have been iron deficient at the time. I dreamt I was eating a really rare steak that wouldn't stop bleeding down my face and clothes. The blood from the plate was dripping onto the floor, making a huge puddle. I couldn't stop eating it, even though I was disgusted. I've had a couple more, very vague, involving meat and milk. My 11 year old daughter just now (as I'm writing this) told me of a dream she had where her friend forced her to eat meat. I think its pretty reasonable to have these dreams as a new herbivore. Eventually you don't have to think about it, and the dreams stop. Congratulations on your new healthy and responsible lifestyle!

A couple weeks ago, I had a dream that I was picking up some pastry/burrito/thing (not sure exactly what it was), and I ate about half of it before realizing that it was filled with meat. For a couple minutes after I woke up, I was actually convinced that I had really eaten the meat in real life, and I was freaking out, until I finally realized that it was just a dream. It was pretty bad.

Aahhhrrrgg, meatmare!!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

JustSittingHere

Only in the ones where I'm a zombie

leedsveg

Not meat but last night I dreamt that I was preparing burgers made out of peas. I almost bought some peas in the supermarket this morning to be able to do that very thing but decided to give the ingredients a bit more thought first.

Leedsveg

Yes, just peas on their own might be a bit strange...Idea has potential though, lv

Your could use mushy peas and add a thickener of some sort? These look nice but are not vegan

leedsveg

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Your could use mushy peas and add a thickener of some sort? These look nice but are not vegan
    Think I'll have a try with some of the Lockwood ingredients. Wonder if I'll be experimenting and tasting in my dreams tonight? I'm normally ok about having a little pea but not in bed....

Lv

Not about meat, but about animal products. 3 or 4 weeks ago I dreamt that I was having dinner out with my mom and she ordered scrambled eggs. I felt kind of threatened and I was forced to eat in order to not argue and fight with her. I ate a little and then I began to scream and argue with her because she made me do it. I guess this dream has to do with the fact that in that period I was afraid that my mom would get mad because of my way of eating and the others and we really had some discussions then.
    Another dream, more recent: I was at my grandparents and we only had meat on the table. I said that I can't eat anything and they got mad and we began to fight and argue in a bad way. When I dreamt this I was going to go to their house in the countryside and I was afraid that I might argue with them regarding my veganism. But I was worried for nothing because we got along, except the so usually and annoying questions about veganism...
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

Once or twice. If I have ever have such dreams, I'm very glad when I wake up and see it wasn't true. These are just dreams...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

No, but I've frequently dreamed of liberating cows I see in trucks on the freeway here in Texas!
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

I've just dreamed (again) something about eating meat and stuff like this. It was my mom again who was screaming at me to eat the scrambled eggs with bacon . And I was afraid of arguing with her so I ate just the scrambled eggs and avoided the bacon. But fortunately it was just a dream.
    I just can't figure out where are those coming from, because my mom understands more and more veganism lately and the things related to it. I guess I'm not already used to it.
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

I don't think I have any control of my dream as I let it happen. XD

Oh yeah, a few times.

Also, when I first went vegetarian, I got up in the middle of the night for a snack and saw some pizza in the fridge, I took a huge bite and then halfway through chewing realised I was veggie and it had meat on it! It went in the bin!

I think its only natural to dream of things like that, it was something that was part of your life before and doesnt necessarily mean you miss meat, at least not in my opinion.

Yes, I actually had a dream in which I knew I had eaten meat (although not really remembered eating any) and then tried to puke but nothing happened and I woke up very grateful that it was a dream.

I had another dream in which I have actually eaten meat , not just animal products. I was sitting with a friend on the stairs from my grandparent's house and we were eating a sandwich with cheese and bacon. I after I've eaten it all, I felt guilty, but I knew that there was meat in it! It was frustrating, because I was conscientious that that was bacon! Anyway, I felt so delighted when I woke up that it was just a bad dream .

I used to dream about eating meat every time I ovulated. If I find meat appealing at all in the daytime it is generally when I haven't been eating very well(rarely).
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I had a dream last night that I ate a snickers bar and then I was thinking well since I ate that why not a burger or cheese. I woke up freaked out and so happy it was a dream. I'm taking this notice to re read a couple of animal rights books and to listen to vegan podcasts.

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

@TXvegan: I thought I was going insane when I saw cows inside trucks on the roads. That is the strangest thing. Horses and cows inside trucks on the roads in San Antonio is so strange! What part of the city do you work at?

I've have never had a dream about eating meat before. I am usually munching away on oatmeal or brown/white rice in my dreams. I've gone through periods (especially when I'm preparing for a marathon) that I think about rice and oatmeal most of the day...it's not really possible to eat too much of it because both are so darn nutritious dense and filling! I have a theory that the body signals to the brain what it is lacking and therefore needs.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

@veganathelete
    I wish I was as health inclined in my dreams, its all me fighting like Xena and eating junk food

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Ahhh I <3 Xena!!! I bought a couple of episodes on iTunes. :P Do you wake up to find out you are actually doing the munching/chewing motion?! When I dream about eating I wake up and realize I am actually chewing...needless to say my jaw hurts a little when I wake up.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Quote VeganAthlete View Post
    Ahhh I <3 Xena!!! I bought a couple of episodes on iTunes. :P Do you wake up to find out you are actually doing the munching/chewing motion?! When I dream about eating I wake up and realize I am actually chewing...needless to say my jaw hurts a little when I wake up.
    usually my dream eating happens in the middle of the dream so by the time I wake its all over. I also grind my teeth so that could be hiding and munching lol

I miss xena

LG

I'm a teeth grinder as well. :P That very well could be munching. I hadn't really paid attention to my dream until I realized I would wake up munching. Some mornings I wake up and I'm frazzled by the thought of having eaten so late...then I realize it was just a dream.

I seriously miss xena...they should make a comeback...xena and gabriel and maybe throw some fierce sexy seductress in the mix to cause more trouble

I woke up all freaked out that I ate dairy (snickers bar dream) then spent the next hour trying to figure out how to make a vegan snickers lol.

I would like to see Xena and Gabriel get married and then Cupid (played by Karl Urban of course) and Hades will join them and they will all live happily ever after together.....yeah that's sweet

LG

I've had the odd meat/dairy nightmare - usually about people force feeding me it.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    then spent the next hour trying to figure out how to make a vegan snickers lol.
    Have you tried Jokerz bars?

I had a dream recently that I was eating a veggie burger and it turned out to be a dead chicken burger, I woke up really distuigsted and upset, not pleasant!!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I've had the odd meat/dairy nightmare - usually about people force feeding me it.

Have you tried Jokerz bars?
    No I have not, I'm in Canada and now looking them up...mmmmm they look so good. I hope I can find them here.

LG

They are extremely expensive but I can assure you they are worth every penny