Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - USA

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - USA

I just had Silk smoothies for the first time this weekend. The strawberry was OK, but I really loved the peach flavor...if only they'd have chocolate I also ate some bread that I made in my bread machine--first loaf out of it--that was some good rye mix. I also love lots of Amy's vegan meals, especially the tofu scramble
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Oh, and Amy's Roasted Vegetables in a pocket sandwich...actually lots of Amy's vegan fare is scrumptuous
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

ConsciousCuisine

My daughter is close to becoming a teen and very interested in "party" food and stuff she can impress her friends with as being tasty "junky" food but vegan.

So, her latest favorite is non-hydrogenated Tofutti cream cheese spread on Tofurky thin slices with spinach leaves and sun dried tomato or basil pesto, all rolled up. *delicious* and the possibilities for fillings is endless!

Hum...I actually like Nayonaise--some of you apparently hate it I never liked mayo or miracle whip (even b4 my "conversion"), but I love a tomato sandwich smothered with Nayonaise. And the only fake cheese and cream cheese I've tried tasted nasty...I had to throw the fake cheese away (off the vegan burger I was eating) because it made me feel pretty sick I guess we all have our personal tastes

Oh, I also love Gardenburger meals (the vegan ones)...meatless chicken with vegetables, citrus meatless chicken with rice, etc

The best vegan foods are the ones in the produce section: lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, scallions, bell peppers, squashes, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, parsley, fruit of all kinds, etc. But, I do like the Publix brand soy milk (I suspect it is repackaged Silk at 10% lower cost) and Silk plain soy yogurt.

I agree that fresh produce is the best vegan food I love having a big "snack" salad in the middle of the day with cukes, bean sprouts, romaine/green lettuce (no iceberg), tomatoes...YUM! I have started using the dressing recipe in Becoming Vegan because it's very nutritious (nutritional yeast, flax seed oil, etc) at least every couple days...it's not all that tasty--not gross just not great (maybe it needs some more balsamic vinegar)--but I think I can tell a difference in how it makes me feel "nutritionized" I also love when I visit my mom and she makes collards--I don't like anyone else's collards though. Sometimes I also just throw together some tofu/tempeh and lots of fresh veggies (broc, mushrooms, bean sprouts, etc) with some sauce. I guess we are generally just talking about "convenience" foods on this list so far...'cause it's convenient

Talking about convenience foods...I just tried a couple types of Luna bars. I like the Key Lime and the choc pecan pie, but the "choc" seemed missing (it was sweet, just not chocolatey for such a chocoholic as me )

ConsciousCuisine

Quote marika5
    The best vegan foods are the ones in the produce section: lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, scallions, bell peppers, squashes, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, parsley, fruit of all kinds, etc. But, I do like the Publix brand soy milk (I suspect it is repackaged Silk at 10% lower cost) and Silk plain soy yogurt.

Agreed, but being that this is the vegan "products"-not "produce"-thread I am glad you were able to contribute with a processed soy product or two

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    ... I am glad you were able to contribute with a processed soy product or two

I haven't figured out a way to get rid of them. They are great in coffee or tea and in fruit salads respectively. I have experimented with nutmilks fresh from the shell but there's too much fat there.

ConsciousCuisine

I agree, especially about the fruit salad. I have used coconut milk but on special occasions because of the high fat content. Instead, I use just a little bit of good soy yogurt and it makes it taste so rich...it's a real treat

mango woman

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    My daughter is close to becoming a teen and very interested in "party" food and stuff she can impress her friends with as being tasty "junky" food but vegan.

So, her latest favorite is non-hydrogenated Tofutti cream cheese spread on Tofurky thin slices with spinach leaves and sun dried tomato or basil pesto, all rolled up. *delicious* and the possibilities for fillings is endless!

CC i just have to say that your daughter is one lucky girl!!! I would do ANYTHING for my parent to be that cool.. and vegan! I always enjoy reading your threads.

I'm not too into the meat/dairy substitutes.. never really have been. I do enjoy vegan cheese though. There's a realllllly good nacho cheese flavor that is exceptional in quesadillas, mini pizzas and goooood sandies.

Nutritional yeast!!!!! I like it so much. I tried eating a tsp of it plain once and it stuck to my teeth really bad. It was a strange experience.

hummus on anything...including a spoon.
    veggie sushi rolls
    beans. beans beans beans beans beans
    Hemp granola cereal
    homemade bread [especially when still warm ]
    Fruit leather, bumblebars, CLIF bars, vegan chocolate

oh there are so many others..

Quote nubilous
    My absolute favorite brand of vegan cookies - alternative baking company!!! If you haven't tried them you definitely should! (Especially the pumpkin spice cookie...)

!! I had one a few weeks ago! Like $2/cookie, but it was good!!!

Soy Cream's coffee ice cream w/ chocolate swirls and almonds
    Tofutti Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches
    Veganaise
    Health is Wealth chicken patties (i made one last night and my omni-BF was like - "wow, what is that? it smells really good!")
    Chocolate Peppermint stick Luna bars
    Homemade hummus
    This great eggplant pilaf recipe I got from “Fast Vegetarian Food” by Matthew Drennan (it's just like broth, eggplant, bulgur and onion - SO GOOD!)
    NY
    Falafel

"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Talking Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - USA

hmmmm got to say Tofutti cream cheese...like that on a lot of things. Oh yeah the Tofutti Cuties...chocolate of course.

I've started ordering chocolates from Pangea...the ones they have made especially for them. (Some are called "vegan sweets.") I LOVE chocolate and having vegan chocolate that is really yummy just makes me more certain that veganism has its rewards

Quote vaderesque
    I've started ordering chocolates from Pangea...the ones they have made especially for them. (Some are called "vegan sweets.") I LOVE chocolate and having vegan chocolate that is really yummy just makes me more certain that veganism has its rewards
    Mmmmm, chocolate Vegan chocolate is a ten thousand times better than regular chocolate. Before I was a vegan, I used to buy the organic vegan dark chocolates on special occassions only (because of the price). Now that I'm vegan, I get to buy only those delicious vegan organic chocolates and my taste buds are very happy! I love the rich, smooth taste of organic shade-grown cocoa!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I've been eating Simply Asia noodle bowls for lunch about half the week and I love them, mainly the soy ginger noodle bowl I also love ABC cookies, though they're so sweet I can't eat a whole one w/o making myself sick. I especially love the Pumpkin Spice and Lemon Poppyseed.

anybody know the difference between earth balance and smart balance?? is it just marketing? they look exactly the same.

Quote Kelzie
    Okay I have to complain a little here. I LOVE earth balance. But I couldn't find any at the store, so I got this other vegan stuff, figuring "it's all the same, right?" No! This stuff is weird. It doesn't melt, and it's all rubbery. It's called Spectrum Natural Spreads. NEVER get it!!!
    OMG, I know! I totally agree, stay away from Spectrum. My favorite vegan butter is Willow's Run. I'm not a big butter fan, but when you want butter, it's the best.

Smart Balance is NOT vegan. I emailed the company to find out if there were many difference and they replied that Earth Balance is the same as one of the Smart Balance spreads, but Earth Balance is vegan and none of the Smart Balance spreads are.

I emailed them because first, I was worried that they might stop making Earth Balance (as now their whole website just has one "page" about Earth Balance and everything else discusses Smart Balance). Second, I was annoyed about how much marketing Smart Balance was getting as I thought that Earth Balance could fill that "niche" (healthy spread) just as well but would be more appropritate for people who are vegan or who have allergies (such as one of the Smart Balance that has whey, which would not be appropriate for people with dairy allergies). They basically said, "most grocery stores would not want such a product, but we will continue to make Earth Balance for specialty groceries and natural health food stores." I've noticed that some mainstream groceries do now stock Earth Balance, so I think they're totally full of crap.

Someone on another message board mentioned Alison's Gourmet Chocolates. Do any of you know where the website is for that chocolate manufacturer? (I used to be able to find it, but now I can't )

Quote eclectic_one
    Smart Balance is NOT vegan. I emailed the company to find out if there were many difference and they replied that Earth Balance is the same as one of the Smart Balance spreads, but Earth Balance is vegan and none of the Smart Balance spreads are.

that's odd- maybe they just changed the smart balance to vegan-
    the tub i have says 100% vegan on it.

i did check out their web site and it had nothing on it about smart balance being a vegan product. hmm.

Smart Balance Light is vegan. no whey.
    Natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola, flax seed and olive oils) contains less than 2% of salt, vegetable monoglycerides and sorbitan ester of fatty acids, natural and artificial flavors, soybean lecithin, potassium sorbate, calcium disodiium EDTA, TBHQ Vitamin e acetate and vitamin a palmitate and beta-carotene color.
    When i emailed about the natural and artificial flavors they said they are from all vegetable sources, no animal. I can't get earth balance here, have to go an hour south to Austin and although I do frequently I was out of margarine one day and needed it for something I was making. This was all I could find and it is actually pretty good and lower in fat. It comes only in two small tubs from what I can find. The kinds in the larger tubs have lactic acid or whey.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote mophoto
    anybody know the difference between earth balance and smart balance?? is it just marketing? they look exactly the same.
    They taste different. Earth Balance is more buttery and salty. Smart Balance is more milky/watery and not as good.

Smart Balance is NOT vegan anyway (as others mentioned), so I would stick to EB anyway.

Smart Balance Light IS vegan, and is not nearly as good as Earth Balance for a rich taste, but is has half the fat/calories. I use Smart Balance Light w/Flax Seed Oil (this one spreads great) for daily toast and save EB for baking cookies. You are not supposed to bake with SBL anyway, it is too watery and will make your cookies "run" a bit.

So,

Smart Balance = NOT vegan
    Earth Balance = vegan
    Smart Balance Light = vegan (and less fat/calories)
    Smart Balance Light with Flax Seed Oil = vegan (spreads better than regular Smart Balance Light and still has less fat/calories).

Smart Balance Light does come in a bigger tub too, that is the one I get with Flax Seed Oil. They sell this stuff everywhere where I live here, so I guess I am lucky. Earth Balance is a little harder to find.

Oh, the other great thing is that none of them contain hydrogenated oils of any kind, one of the most important things when chosing a margarine (after being vegan of course).

All I can say is that they emailed me that none of the Smart Balance spreads are vegan. Perhaps one is now vegan (I'd like to know which had "100% vegan" label on it in case I ever need to get some) or maybe it is because the vitamin A palmitate they use is from fish oil?

Ew...I hope not! I didn't know vitamin A palmitate could be fish!!!!!! yuckers.

mine doesn't say 100% vegan, but next to nothing I use does.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I really like Earth Balance, and if you're looking for a lighter version (although neglibly so, I have to admit) you can get the Earth Balance Whipped, which is very good
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote assilembob
    Ew...I hope not! I didn't know vitamin A palmitate could be fish!!!!!! yuckers.

mine doesn't say 100% vegan, but next to nothing I use does.
    Actually, I was kinda glad to find out there was vegan Vitamin A Palmitate as a Joanne Stepanek book I was reading listed it as always having fish oil involved. So I was worried that even Silk soymilk wasn't vegan. Then I looked it up and found that Vitamin A Palmitate can be vegan, but sometimes it's not. I'm afraid I've gotten to the point if an ingredient can be vegan, I assume it is--though I know it's not always the case--except when I email a company and they tell me something isn't vegan.

I have just started eating ployes...my uncle sent me some ployes mix from Maine...it's like pancakes, but the mix only calls for water instead of milk or eggs. They're pretty good to me

I just found Temptation soy frozen dessert at Earth Fare near my parents' house when I visited...it has the closest texture to ice cream of any soy dessert I've tried. It was wonderful

Quote eclectic_one
    I just found Temptation soy frozen dessert at Earth Fare near my parents' house when I visited...it has the closest texture to ice cream of any soy dessert I've tried. It was wonderful
    what flavor did u get? the chocolate chip cookie dough is to die for.

Talking Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - USA

as far as junk food goes, I think my fav is soy delicious ice "cream" and health valley sandwich cookies. i also like uncle eddies cookies (a local brand) which is really good.
    and as for non-processed, non-junk food, name it and i'll probably like it
    Peace Love Surf.

They only had a few flavors, but I got chocolate and strawberry. When I get back to that store (it'll be a while ), I'll probably get a ton more because it's super yummy I definitely like it more than soy delicious, at least the texture is much better

do you think so? wow, then it must be really good 'cause I love soy delicious. a really good one is from double rainbow, the chocolate chip cherry kind mmmm
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote moochbabe
    as far as junk food goes, I think my fav is soy delicious ice "cream" and health valley sandwich cookies. i also like uncle eddies cookies (a local brand) which is really good.
    and as for non-processed, non-junk food, name it and i'll probably like it
    we get uncle eddie's out here too... that edward knows what he's doing!

uncle eddie's trail mix cookies are my undoing. (I just ate an entire bag today)
    ~Mel

Quote moochbabe
    do you think so? wow, then it must be really good 'cause I love soy delicious. a really good one is from double rainbow, the chocolate chip cherry kind mmmm
    Well, the "plain" soy ice cream I thought was better and I still like Soy Delight. I just had a soy delight vanilla almond "bars/popsicle" covered in chocolate and it was just as yummy

I still solute ABC double chocolate decadence cookies. I am still having withdrawal from 9 months ago when I was in America. Oh God let it rain down these cookies

Limey

I have no idea what these are and I live here.

our ghetto Kroger has the ABC cookies, but I've never bought them.

Limey

I hate Kroger, but only because I used to work with this really disgusting, annoying, old guy who worked for them and all he ever did was tell Kroger stories. I decided right then and there I would be a Kroger-Hater for life. So far it's worked out really well for me.

Some vegan on-line stores (like Pangea) have a few flavors of ABC cookies. I've bought them at Earth Fare too.

Limey

Ohh, I shop at Earth Fare. Are we talking the Newman's ones or something else? I was thinking ABC was the brand. Oh, I dunno, I'm so

Talia:
    look here... http://www.alternativebaking.com/

they have pictures of the wrappers and the kinds they have. They have them at whole foods, krogers, trader joes, and at some smaller stores (Food for Thought in Wichita, Ks., wheatsville in Austin, Tx. and Sundance Natural Foods in Eugene, Or. are some places that I have found them)
    They are ubber fabulous.
    ~Mel

Limey

They sound scrumptious, and stupid me, I was just at Earth Fare and forgot to look. Oh well. Next time around. Like I really need to be eating cookies.

Quote Talia
    They sound scrumptious, and stupid me, I was just at Earth Fare and forgot to look. Oh well. Next time around. Like I really need to be eating cookies.
    You do need to be eating these cookies

I love Tree Huggin' Treats...mainly the Peppermint Phatty bar

mmm Soy Delicious Decadence soy ice cream...Chunky Mint Madness!!

Amy's California veggie burgers. Yum!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

-ABC cookies (all, esp. pumpkin and choc. chip) and Boston cookies (I've only tried choc. chip)
    -Earth Balance
    -Fantastic Foods falafel mix and tofu scramble mix
    -Soy Delicious, esp. the cookies 'n creme kind the chocolate brownie kind, and butter pecan
    -Tofurkey slices
    -Wild Garden hummus dips, esp. the raosted red pepper and the olive kinds
    -Tofutti chocolate ice cream and cream cheese
    -WholeSoy and Co.'s Creme Caramel soy frozen yogurt and all of their regular (nonfrozen) soy yogurts, especially lemon
    -Z-Bars (I like the peanut butter and the choc. brownie ones)
    -Amy's products, especially the no cheese pizza, the vegetable sandwich pockets, and the shepard's pie.
    -Soy Boy tofu ravioli and low fat 5-grain tempeh
    -Newman's dairy free fig newtons and pretzels
    -Silk soymilk and chai flavor drink
    -Thai Garden pad Thai

The ABC cookies can be purchased online in bundles of five with no shipping fees

And I would argue that these cookies are the best tasting EVER!