Thread: Every office should have one...

Default Every office should have one...

Further to all my previous posts bragging on other threads about the utter wonderfulness of our staff restaurant at work ...could I prehaps brag a little more?

We have returned from the Christmas break to find that the restaurant has been completely re-vamped. And pride of place? Two ovens and two hobs. One for Veggie food and one for meat . The cook explained that she thought it was disrespectful to Veggies to cook meat in the same oven as meat so she had specifically requested two ovens! She also religiously washes her hands when switching from any meat orientated task to any Veggie one even if it is only to lift cutlery, in order she says to retain respect for Veggies beliefs.

If I didnt know better I would think that all this clean activity was rubbing off on staff...twice today I have been party to conversations in which meat eaters offered a choice between veggie meat balls and meat ones have shrugged their shoulders and said 'I dont mind they both look nice -g/ive me either'! Also, several of my meat eating workmates have Veggie days and dinner parties at home.

As my workplace has a higher than normal percentage of Veggies and an odd smattering of Vegans on staff I am wondering if the interaction of working and lunching with Veggies is helping to break down prejudices? Could it be that by viewing Vegans behaving perfectly normally (except for the fact that they eat superior meat balls) instead of being viewed as 'sandal wearing hippies' there is a realisation that being Vegan is not akin to joining a religious order but in fact just a healthy, easily maintainable lifestyle?

Is it just that Vegans become 'normal' when every office has one?

Or is it indicative of a general trend away from the idea that a meal without meat just isnt a meal; and you have been shortchanged without a slab of animal buried in your veg?

Default Re: Every office should have one...

That does sound nice... Canada isn't moving ahead as fast as I'd like it to My kitchen is vegan though. All the utensils, pans, fridge

cobweb

That's really great!.
    I'd forgotten what a pain it can be as luckily I work in a health food shop and am therefore 'acceptable' as a vegan.
    You'll have them all cutting right back on their animal products soon, brilliant!.

That's great to hear!
    The cook sounds like a really nice person too.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    That's great to hear!
    The cook sounds like a really nice person too.
    She is.. and whats more she is totally efficient . She runs the whole show alone apart from two kids from the local MacIntyre project who she treats with the same respect and compassion . A real treasure.

OMG...I want to work there! The only things vegan in my work break room are free fruit (usually 3 kinds) and peanuts you can buy in the vending machine. That's it.
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote TXvegan View Post
    OMG...I want to work there! ...
    Me too! our catering staff don't even seem to be aware of what vegan means!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

leedsveg

I understand my old office of 1000 people, has now closed the staff restaurant and provided the statutory minimum number of microwave ovens.

lv

That's an amazing result, Alice! What type of organisation is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Sounds awesome. I'd say in my work place they are very open about it and I have even managed to get soya milk delivered (as well as the usual dairy stuff)... but 2 ovens is VERY impressive and a cook that avoids cross contamination!!!

I agree, every office should have a vegan we make vegan sound normal (mostly... )

Quote harpy View Post
    That's an amazing result, Alice! What type of organisation is it, if you don't mind my asking?
    I work for Macmillan doing outreach at the Bucks hospitals but I am based at Citizens Advice Bureau,(thats where I keep my pens and pot plant ).

We are situated in a building which houses many of the local voluntary agencies ie. Rape crisis, Disability rights group, Prison rehab groups, Welfare rights, etc etc.

Really consider myself lucky to be part of such a diverse crowd ... leads to many interesting conversations around the photo-copier!!! lol

Also the cheif executive there is a Veggie...soon to be a Vegan if I can corner her for a few more chats about the diary industry!!!!!

Managed to intercept a conversation she was having at the Christmas party where she was saying ' For me its more a case of why NOT be a Vegetarian when its so easy not to eat meat.' I cut in with ' For me its a case of why NOT be Vegan if you are already Vegetarian ?' Which lead to a very interesting conversation in which she decided to think seriously about cutting out dairy after being armed with more facts.

Slack

That must be a nice organisation to work for - glad to hear their compassion extends to animals too. Bet any vegetarian or vegan patients that they do outreach to get their "special" meals as well for once!

Sounds like a great place and wonderful cafeteria.

I can't complain myself ... though the daily vegetarian dish served at my cafeteria is normally not for me (dairy), there is always the choice of pasta with vegan sauce and for myself a huge plate of vegetables (meat-eaters side dishes) and salads. Actually the cheapest dish on the menu

Best regards,
    Andy

WOW! Lucky you! SlackAlice! would love to work in the same place as you! Although I have to say I'm lucky enough to have a boss who cares and every Christmas gives my husband and myself (husband is vegan too) vegan chocolates and wine and if we have a party he makes sure to organise vegan catering. Also at Easter he finds vegan Easter Eggs which is really nice of him, given the fact that some of our colleagues make fun of us all the time, just because they are ignorant! I'm glad that there are organisations out there and people that do care about what they put in their mouths and what they do to animals and the environment!

Oh my, now THAT sounds like a real treasure of a job!

Whatever you do; don't let it go
    Or, if you decide to do just that: give me a tip and I'll be sure to replace you
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

That sounds fab. My office doesn't even recycle, they refuse to pay for it so I end up taking paper and plastic home to put in my recycling boxes. And when I went to the office Xmas party for the first time in 5 years they didn't know what a "vegan" was - I got an email from my HR manager asking "what vegans eat"!

Haha, I work at a Subway - the fast-food sandwich restaurant, that is.
    So food is rarely an issue for me : D

Though serving annoyed people intensely meaty sandwiches all day can get pretty frustrating.

Quote Rakel View Post
    Haha, I work at a Subway - the fast-food sandwich restaurant, that is.
    So food is rarely an issue for me : D

Though serving annoyed people intensely meaty sandwiches all day can get pretty frustrating.
    B

Hi Rakel
    Yes I bet that is frustrating especially when the veggie patties are so yummy.. They don't know what they are missing!!

Slack.

Even today, Sunflowers, people have to ask?!

Next time I hear the question, I reckon my response will be a slightly sarcastic, "well, there's this thing called Google which will give you 10,000 answers".

Just did. Got a list of nice food, sarcasm optional.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote SlackAlice View Post
    Hi Rakel
    Yes I bet that is frustrating especially when the veggie patties are so yummy.. They don't know what they are missing!!

Slack.
    But veggie patties have milk and eggs in = BLEH. That said, if it was between that and steak, it's probably the more favourable option. My OH eats them like a life source....
    EDIT: http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/subs/cl...ie-patty-.aspx (should've backed that up sorry)

I am sooo envious of your place of work, sounds like a real feel good job and you're clearly well catered for

OMG!!!!!!!
    I didnt know that!!!
    Now I feel sick
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I was disappointed about the patties too. A staff member kindly brought out the packet with ingredient list.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.