Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - Canada

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - Canada

I can get it in PEI but only at one grocery store here in town and only the mozzarella flavour.

If you are in Ottawa, I'm sure you can get it.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Thanks Tigerlily!

I actually brought some home from Victoria over Christmas, using an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack. I wanted to put it on a pizza for my sister, who's omni but allergic to cheese. And she loved it! She was sad when I told her she wouldn't be able to find it in Kitchener. But now I'll tell her to keep an eye out for it

P.S. On my way from Quebec City to Toronto, they almost made me throw out the ice pack that was keeping the cheese cold, because they thought it was a liquid/gel! And I had already brought it all the way from Victoria, I was so close! Eventually they said that because it was frozen, they'd let it slide.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

LOL, you're so funny! I can also get Tofutti slices too, but Vegan Gourmet is better. My mom (non-vegan) likes it too and she made a large pizza using it. And she likes it uncooked on sandwiches (which I find gross ).

I can't even find the Tofutti slices out here! Now I'm really looking forward to moving to Ottawa .

My sister is notorious for being "psyched" into thinking she doesn't like something, even though it's perfectly fine. Last year I made her a tofutti cheesecake which was literally indistinguishable from dairy cheesecake, but she said it didn't taste like cheese at all, it was more like custard. But I know it's because she knew it was made from soy. I think most people's minds are like that (like if a restaurant is expensive we assume the food will taste great, or if a cheesecake is made of soy people assume it will taste bad). So I was so worried about giving her the Follow Your Heart that I wouldn't even let her look at the raw block because it would look like a block of tofu to her and scare her LOL. But she loved it!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

My brothers are like that. They won't even try foods that are naturally vegan like dark chocolate or something.

I bought the Hemp Maple ice cream today, and it's to DIE FOR. Best ice cream of my life.

I like gardein products, especially chik'n breast in dijon marinade.

The first 'veggie' product I ever tried was Yves sausage patties when I was still an omni, and I liked those. I use their lunch meats when I have no other easy protein source at that meal. I actually haven't had any Yves stuff that I dislike.

That's about it.
    I tried to get my mom to try gardein chik'n today...haha, she wouldn't.

Hey fellow Ottawan's, do you know where one can purchase seitan?
    Never mind found it, Rainbow Foods or the Herb and Spice, thanks!

any product from Sweets From the Earth... their chocolate fudge cake tastes better than a regular cake baked with milk and eggs.

Not Canadian but found in Canada.....My fave ice creme is by Turtle Mountain, lots of their products are made with coconut milk! Love it because it's a great way to cut down your soy while still having ice creme! They even have coconut milk yogurt, Yay! They also have soy products, the only bummer is that i've never found a place in Vancouver that stocks more than just some of the ice creme (West Valley produce in the West End has it). I'd love to try the coconut creamers (french vanilla and hazelnut!!!!)

Thought it would be a great place to mention...i've started a section on my blog called Vegan Spotted where people can email me tips on vegan stuff they see to share with everyone. The blog is Vancouver based but people from all over Canada read it and i would LOVE for Vegan Spotted to be a helpful resource. Check it out at vanchick.wordpress.com

This one really simple....... take 1 jar of pickled onions with fork!! I always get to the bottom of the jar pretty quick!!! MMMM!

Kimberlily1983

Oh, my, I adore pickled onions as well (the sweet ones). A jar does not last long in my house, either...

Here are some of my vegan products we use: Yves Veggie Cuisine meat substitutes (especially their bacon, mmmm!), Tofurkey sausages (sun-dried tomato), Earth Balance (spread on some freshly baked bread, yum!), Becel Vegan, Purely Decadent/Soy Delicious/So Delicious non-dairy frozen desserts...

I'm looking forward to trying Tofurkey, with the dressing.

Haha...glad to see it's not only a English fad then!!

Vegan World Tr

Thanks to everyone for posting advice!! I will be visiting Montreal for first time in over 12 years!! Back then I was vegetarian. Now I am vegan.

Kimberlily1983

Quote MariaTrekker View Post
    Thanks to everyone for posting advice!! I will be visiting Montreal for first time in over 12 years!! Back then I was vegetarian. Now I am vegan.
    I went to Montreal a few years ago; was vegetarian back then as well. Since going vegan I passed through twice, but that was quick, didn't really do anything there. Would love to hear about any vegan restaurants, stores, etc. you encounter, for my next visit!

Kimberlily1983

Quote Dawny View Post
    Haha...glad to see it's not only a English fad then!!
    Come to think of it, I was first served pickled onions as part of a veggie platter - by my partner's parents, who are Scottish! Heehee, so maybe it did kind of come from over there.

i went to Ottowa a few weeks ago (from Quebec City), I loved the variety of products you can buy there, lots of oriental shops, I immediately stumbled over a health food store in Bank street where I bought a delicious chocolate cake thingy. There are a few shops around Quebec City as well, but I do miss the ethnic diversity of Ottowa, everyone was so nice as well!

This is going kind of off-topic but has any tried the Green Beaver line of bath & beauty products. No animal testing or ingredients and 100% Canadian. I've tried the peppermint toothpaste, grapefruit face wash and the mosturizer. Didn't like the moisturizer but it would be great for those with oily skin.
    Nicole
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Mahatma Gandhi