Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Quote Marrers
    Hi Soph! Some Sainsburys own brand Nan bread is vegan as well! (They are labelled - it's the 'normal' ones, not the 'Taste the Difference' ones.)
    They also do vegan garlic and coriander mini naan breads in Sainsbury's . Ooh, and some lovely currant buns too!
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

i'm not too impressed with Sainsbury's naan breads personally, too stodgy and doughy, but then i'm not really supposed to eat bread anyway

Redwood Thai fish cakes are quite good, i like them with rice, raw cucumber and sweet chilli sauce
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Lily
    They also do vegan garlic and coriander mini naan breads in Sainsbury's
    Yeah, I love those. I just pop mine in the toaster and they come up a treat.

I had a little chocolate spree last week. The new Organic stuff with rice syrup is a bit like milk chocloate I think (can't really remember), but it's WAAAAY too sweet for my taste....

On the other hand the Plamil sugar-free chcolate with hulled hemp seeds is great. Really quite like it, up there with some of the Montezuma stuff...

Cheers

Mike

Quote Michael Benis
    I had a little chocolate spree last week. The new Organic stuff with rice syrup is a bit like milk chocloate I think (can't really remember), but it's WAAAAY too sweet for my taste....
    Have a look at this thread MB.

VeganJohn

Quote oldsilverhead
    Yesterday I entered the realms of Redwoods Thai Fish Style Cakes and I can honestly say that to date they are the most thrillingly delicious thing I have eaten since becoming vegan!

Anyone else tried them?

oldsilverhead
    Yes!! I tried these on Friday for the first time. I enjoyed them, although found them a little spicier than I had expected. I had them with mushy peas and hummous, possibly not what they were intended to be served with lol!!

Quote oldsilverhead
    Yesterday I entered the realms of Redwoods Thai Fish Style Cakes and I can honestly say that to date they are the most thrillingly delicious thing I have eaten since becoming vegan!

Anyone else tried them?

oldsilverhead
    I got some of these the other day, not realising they were fish flavoured until I started to eat one. I thought they were falafel as the pack looked very similar to the falafel I'd bought once before, which was lovely. But I thought these were gross and imagined I was actually eating fish! Strange really, as I liked the vegan fishless fingers I've had before . Luckily they're not wasted though as my dog finds them very moreish!
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Crisp/snack fans, look out for new Kettle Crispy Bakes. I found them in the Co-op yesterday, tomato with basil and green peppercorns - Mmmm-Mmmmmmm! very tasty .

oldsilverhead

Discovered these a few weeks ago in Sainsburys.Yummy.

oldsilverhead

Yeah, found them, too. Forgot to get some more, though. Doh.
    Shame it's only the one vegan flavour

oldsilverhead

The yummiest-tasting snack in the solar system is a soya-based snack made by Kallo and is barbecue flavour.I exaggerate not.

http://www.kallofoods.com/products/h...s/ISO5077b.asp

oldsilverhead

I think these are the top two actually!
    Tamari Drenched Slow Roast Pumpkin & Sunflower Seeds
    and Wasabi Crusted Roast Cashews.
    http://www.terreaterre.co.uk/shop/cu...me.php?cat=257

Mmm.. they are lovely, very rich but very delicious!

Yes those Kettle tube things are well tasty! made with lentil flour i believe? on offer til March in Waitrose at 35p normal price 40p. Must get some next time im there.............

Alison

Quote Lily
    I got some of these the other day, not realising they were fish flavoured.....But I thought these were gross and imagined I was actually eating fish!
    Okay I take it back! I just ate a few more of these and they're not bad at all - guess it must have been the initial shock of the fish flavour that I hadn't been expecting that made me dislike the first one.

Quote Lily
    Crisp/snack fans, look out for new Kettle Crispy Bakes. I found them in the Co-op yesterday, tomato with basil and green peppercorns - Mmmm-Mmmmmmm! very tasty .
    MMM i found them in tesco. yum yum yum!

Quote Cloudy
    I like Sainsbury's "Free From" margarine. It's really the only dairy free margarine I can eat which doesn't taste bad to me.
    saindburys have one?!
    i've never seen any dairy free marg. in there but i have looked.

the m&s dairy free spread is yummy.have you tried it? i use that and the 'pure' stuff

The Sainsburys dairy free spread is really good, i use pure but my aunt gets the sainsburys one for me when im there!

Alison

I have started buying the Sainsburys one to support the fact that they are making an alternative to butter.
    All the vegan butters I've used have been exactly the same as butter for me, though the Organic Pure was a little too creamy for me, which is a shame because I like buying organic.

i really love RealEat frozen edamame at the moment - i can't stop eating them! they're so easy to prepare, only a couple of minutes in the microwave. i melt a bit of margarine over them and sprinkle with a little salt. if only they sold them in bigger bags!

i think Holland & Barrett sell them, plus other health food shops and possibly even places like Sainsburys.

Has anyone else noticed the change in Holland & Barrett's Porkless Pies? I used to love them....but then didn't have one for a few months, and the last one I had (about 4 months ago) was completely different.....less filling, more pastry.....the pastry was really stodgy instead of being quite crispy, and the filling wasn't as spicy.

Maybe I just got a bad one, but since then, every time I go in H & B I head straight for the Porkless Pies, but they just don't look how they used to about a year ago

i used to eat those porkless pies when i still lived at home..but havent eaten them in over a year & a half i think..kinda put off by the taste of meat..

I was looking at the pies and 'sausage' rolls in H&B, and they're labelled vegetarian, so I asked the assistant if they were vegan and she said no.
    Im confused now!
    Was it just an uneducated assistant?

saucyvegan

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I LOVE Plamil Mayonnaise.
    I tried this a couple of weeks ago and omg it is so nice. Better than the other one I was eating....which I cant remember the name of now.

saucyvegan

Anyone ever tried Frys sausages? I thought I was eating meat at 1st and spat it out while I read the ingredients. Just found this thread and will read more and post more tomorrow. Yummy I love talking food!

tabitha

I found a "pate" like spread in Holland and Barrett, called Tartex garlic yeast flavoured stuff. It reminds me of that Mattisons liver pate which I know is completely gross, but when I was about 10 I used to like it and my mum always put it in my packed lunch.

Quote Troutina
    I was looking at the pies and 'sausage' rolls in H&B, and they're labelled vegetarian, so I asked the assistant if they were vegan and she said no.
    Im confused now!
    Was it just an uneducated assistant?
    Well they were vegan last time I had one......so either an uneducated assistant, or they changed the ingredients....again.

Quote stef
    Well they were vegan last time I had one......so either an uneducated assistant, or they changed the ingredients....again.
    I'm pretty sure it was an uneducated assistant.
    Quite annoying though, because I would have bought one to try otherwise.

Quote gertvegan
    Zest vegan pesto.
    I think this is my favourite too. I also love Graffitti Tofu Terrine, Redwoods Cheezely, Marigold Engevita Nutitional Yeast Flakes, and Swedish Glace ice cream. I also love anything my Jeff cooks for me (he is on a pastry roll at the moment)! He has done an Almond and Leek tart and a Sausage and Tomato tart from Martin Shaw Cooks Veggie, available from Viva at
    http://www.viva.org.uk/shop/booksguides.htm
    I'm a lucky lady!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I absolutly love plamil mayo and eat it by teh bucket load with anything and everything, even dollop it on curries and chile, also on bread dipped in soup

veggiesosage

Frys make a really good slicing sausage called Polony or something. I should check whats its called cos I've got some in my fridge. Good for sarnies.

saucyvegan

Does anyone know how they make the fried bean curd they serve u in Thai restaurants? I absolutley love the stuff but not sure how its made and with what sort of tofu.

saucyvegan

Quote veganbikerboy
    I absolutly love plamil mayo and eat it by teh bucket load with anything and everything, even dollop it on curries and chile, also on bread dipped in soup
    MMMM just had two tortilla wraps with "cheeze", red peppers, spring onions and spinach covered in Plamil mayo...mmmmm. Sated here lol!!!

Im currently writing a list of all the food on here everyone likes and am going to buy it all. Apparently there is a new rice milk choccy bar that tastes really creamy. Not the bars u can get with the crackly stuff in it, this stuff u have to order from a vegan site. I shall post my verdict when I get some.

I love that mayo to. I have it in pittas with salad everyday. Its nice on toast with beans to or just sticking carrot in, yum.

i tried the frys hot dogs for the first time yesterday, they were the first hot dogs since ive had since becoming vegan. the tivall ones used to be nice when i could eat them but its been a long time and i couldnt believe how nice they were, from now on its hot dogs for tea each night until they are all gone

My favourite foods at the moment are:

Zed Foods banana, date, coconut and chocolate muffin. They are like a miracle to me vegan and gluten free.

Wizzers chocolate egg thingies

Erm..erm can't think of anything else at this minute...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i dont much like mayo..never have. so when i went vegan, it was one of those things that i wasnt able to eat, but didnt really care about. then when i heard there was a vegan mayo..i still didnt care. i havent tried it. i dont think i want to. i just dont like mayo :/ yuck..

i prefer humous for dipping things into.

and those fry's sausages... mmmm-mmmmm! delish!

What happened to sainsburys spicy bean burgers, they were nice. Last time I went shopping they weren't there and then when I checked the website they werent on it.

hmm..i didnt know they had any.. i havent seen much vegan friendly frozen foods in sainsburys..or somerfield for that matter (altho they do have some good stuff for veggies).

i get annoyed about that - supermarkets like asda and tesco as well, have tons of veggie food..but only 1 or 2 in the range is suitable for vegans.

I hope Sainsburys still do their bean burgers, they're amazing!
    Stupid Tescos put milk in theirs, like most things..

*grumble*grumble*

Wink Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Hi. I wasn't going to bring this up because I wanted to keep it all to myself! lol. But the veganstore has FANTASTIC new chocolate that tastes like a cross between galaxy and swiss milk chocolate. In fact it is the nicest chocolate I have ever tasted. Oh and they now have liqorice all-sorts too. I think Sainsbury's may have discontinued their bean burgers last time we went there seemed to be a distinct shortage
    Out of all the supermarkets at least Sainsbury's mark their food as vegan which does save a certain amount of label reading.

veggiesosage

Quote Troutina
    I hope Sainsburys still do their bean burgers, they're amazing!
    Stupid Tescos put milk in theirs, like most things..

*grumble*grumble*
    Hmmm. I've got one of Tescos left in the fridge and I just went to check the ingredients. I can't find anything milk related there, have I missed something?

tabitha

Actually I thought it was the other way around. I thought Tescos were ok and Sainsburys werent. If not thats another cock up ive made.

Quote saucyvegan
    Im currently writing a list of all the food on here everyone likes and am going to buy it all.
    If you fancied posting your list on here I could do with a shopping spree.

As for Sainsburys spicy bean burgers, I've noticed a distinct lack in my local too.

saucyvegan

Quote pookah
    Hi. I wasn't going to bring this up because I wanted to keep it all to myself! lol. But the veganstore has FANTASTIC new chocolate that tastes like a cross between galaxy and swiss milk chocolate. In fact it is the nicest chocolate I have ever tasted. Oh and they now have liqorice all-sorts too. I think Sainsbury's may have discontinued their bean burgers last time we went there seemed to be a distinct shortage
    Out of all the supermarkets at least Sainsbury's mark their food as vegan which does save a certain amount of label reading.
    OOh this is the one ive heard about. I think its made with rice milk to give it that creamy texture. Im going to do a mass shop on veganstore this weekend so will buy loads and get all fat.

Antonia....yes...ive still to look thro this whole thread but boy am I gonna shopppppppppppp!! FATVEGAN on da way!

Quote saucyvegan
    OOh this is the one ive heard about. I think its made with rice milk to give it that creamy texture. Im going to do a mass shop on veganstore this weekend so will buy loads and get all fat.
    See this thread for more.

saucyvegan

Quote gertvegan
    See this thread for more.
    LOL thanks Gert for helping me in both threads!!!

a didgeridoo

Quote lozza
    i dont much like mayo..never have. so when i went vegan, it was one of those things that i wasnt able to eat, but didnt really care about. then when i heard there was a vegan mayo..i still didnt care. i havent tried it. i dont think i want to. i just dont like mayo :/ yuck..

i prefer humous for dipping things into.

and those fry's sausages... mmmm-mmmmm! delish!
    D’you know, I always disliked mayo when I was veggie, but I tried some plamil today, and I like it!! Like you, Lozza, I’m a big hummus fan when it comes to stuff to dip things in – but I had your tortillas with plamil, peppers, spinach etc, Saucy, and they rock!! Mmmm I do luurve my food

Where do you get Fry’s sausages from, then? I haven’t tried them

veggiesosage

I'd never tried mayo before I was vegan, (we were dirt poor and working class see?) so only ever tried the soya version. Frankly, I can take or leave that.

saucyvegan

Quote Lex
    D’you know, I always disliked mayo when I was veggie, but I tried some plamil today, and I like it!! Like you, Lozza, I’m a big hummus fan when it comes to stuff to dip things in – but I had your tortillas with plamil, peppers, spinach etc, Saucy, and they rock!! Mmmm I do luurve my food

Where do you get Fry’s sausages from, then? I haven’t tried them
    Awwww lex...im chuffed u tried the wraps. I love my food too, I could easily be a fat vetgan u know, so I have to be careful lol. Frys sausages....hmmmm...well I get em in my local health food warehouse. They are the best. I consider myself a bit of a vegan food detective!! I expect they have a site somewhere with ur nearest stockist. Il have a look tomoz cos am going to bed in a mo! Yummy at Plamil tho yes?