Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

[“These are our most popular biscuits . . . "
    I wonder if they have considered what percentage of the sales are from milk avoiders? I hope sales plummet.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

JC

my thoughts exactly! they are soooo gonna get an angry e-mail from me. they were the only custard creams i'd found that didn't have milk in. 'trufree', i don't think so. they should consider changing their name while they're at it...

thatnks for the info, by the way, gorilla. Not checked this thread for a while so only spotted it now. I'll keep my eyes peeled

Thanks JC for this info.

I've put it as an article entitled "Trufree tells dairy-free customers not to buy their biscuits!"

at:
    http://www.activeg.org/index.html
    - the vegan news & action website.

Cheers for that JC and SophieFP. I've mailed the company to enquire why they have done this and if there's a response I'll post it here.

interesting about the Trufree custard creams. i always thought they tasted funny anyway, but why change their most popular product? makes no sense dairy-free was obviously always just a coincidence as far as they were concerned
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thank you for pointing this out, I have just emailed them telling them exactly what I think of their decision.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

JC

''Thank you for your email with reference to the Trufree Custard Creams.

At Trufree we strive to produce great tasting gluten and wheat free products. In this instance the custard cream recipe has been improved as a result of complaints we have received about the taste and texture. Following consumer feedback about the recipe change we will be conducting a full review of the recipe change.

I would like to apologise for the disappointment this has caused and assure you that we do take our customers feedback extremely seriously. If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.''

how does adding milk improve the recipe?! that's a pathetic excuse!!
    i know it's not exactly the same, but when mars changed their recipe so it was no longer vegetarian, they got so many complaints that they changed it back again. maybe if everyone keeps complaining we'll get somewhere?

I liked those. I'll complain tomorrow.

Quote JC View Post
    i know it's not exactly the same, but when mars changed their recipe so it was no longer vegetarian, they got so many complaints that they changed it back again. maybe if everyone keeps complaining we'll get somewhere?
    aren't they going back to putting non-vegetarian whey in again? I'm sure i read that.
    Not that we're going to eat them anyway!

i bought a Trufree potato quick snack pot yesterday assuming it was still vegan, but then i noticed that the Vegan Society symbol has gone from the packaging so now i'm not sure even these are ok anymore. the ingredients look ok and the website says they're still 'vegan approved' but i'm suspicious. they obviously don't care about the vegan market at all.

i didn't bother emailing them about the custard creams because i didn't really like them anyway, but now i think i'll have to say something so they know how big their vegan customer base is, and hopefully they'll take note.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

JC

if anyone gets a reply from trufree, please post it on here so we can see if we're making any progress!

i've thought of another of my favourite things; softmints. vegan by default i think, but still really good!!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i bought a Trufree potato quick snack pot yesterday assuming it was still vegan, but then i noticed that the Vegan Society symbol has gone from the packaging so now i'm not sure even these are ok anymore. the ingredients look ok and the website says they're still 'vegan approved' but i'm suspicious. they obviously don't care about the vegan market at all.
    Hmm - that's worrying.. I quite often eat those, and keep a supply (and of the lentil ones) in my desk at work for emergency food.
    I'd be interested to see the response too.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Here is the reply I received about the custard creams, which looks hauntingly familiar. It looks like the fact that they were vegan friendly was purely coincidental.

Thank you for your email with reference to the Trufree Custard Creams.

At Trufree we strive to produce great tasting gluten and wheat free products. In this instance the custard cream recipe has been improved as a result of complaints we have received about the taste and texture. Following consumer feedback about the recipe change we will be conducting a full review of the recipe change.

I would like to apologise for the disappointment this has caused and assure you that we do take our customers feedback extremely seriously. If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Emma Pragnell
    Customer Services Manager

Nutrition Point Ltd
    Station Court
    442 Stockport Road
    Thelwall
    Warrington
    WA4 2GW
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

JC

omg, they must just issue an automatic reply to all angry vegan customers! hmf!

time to send them an email too. surely if they get lots of "customer feedback" they will consider otherwise?

JC

definately! oooh, we should do a petition!

i got exactly the same reply as Jiffy and JC, with a sentence added to say "With reference to your query about the Trufree quick snack pots, I can confirm that they are still suitable for vegans." as i had also mentioned these in my complaint.

Quote JC View Post
    omg, they must just issue an automatic reply to all angry vegan customers! hmf!
    Quote JC View Post
    definately! oooh, we should do a petition!
    Stock replies are standard practice for this kinda thing unfortunately. I think asking is about the best thing you can do, petitions are generally worthless.

JC

so next week, i'm having my french penpal come to stay. she says she wants to eat what i normally do, but that would be soooo boring. can people recommend products i can buy to show her that being vegan is the best lifestyle ever! i've already got some maple frosted cornflakes in for breakfast i'm also gonna get some alpro soya shakes and desserts, swedish glace and maybe some maya gold g&b's. so i'm fine for snacks, but i'm struggling for ideas when it comes to dinner. i figured we'd be out most of the time for lunch, so that's not a problem. but i won't really have time to cook something amazing for dinner. i was looking in the health food shop at amy's enchiladas and realeat schnitzels - anyone tried them? those are the kind of things i'm looking for, something i can just shove in the oven. i don't know if they're any good though, help please!!!

Those enchiladas are pretty bad. Waaaay too salty. the schnitzels are good though. You could do a chilli or bolognaise using frozen mince, couldn't you? That wouldn't be too time-consuming or expensive.

Good sperm

Fry's Schnitzels, burgers and sausages are AWESOME. Sausages + sweet potato wedges + guacamole would be a great easy dinner. Or burgers with wedges and relish? Schnitzels with mash, veg and gravy?

damn you amf - I really want guac now!

How about pasta? Some sacla sauces are so tasty and it only takes 10 mins to cook that. Plus good salad

I discovered a snack I've never seen before and it was very tasty! The range is Tyrrells Alternatives and they are called Habas Fritas (lightly spiced cooked broad beans).

I found them in Infinity Foods health food shop in Brighton.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

cheezly, cheezly, and more cheezly................cheezly is my downfall

The soy yoghurt I had in London (bought it at Tesco) was really, really good. I wish I could just like that in Canada.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

Quote cobweb View Post
    cheezly, cheezly, and more cheezly................cheezly is my downfall

Mine too Cobweb!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Plamil egg free organic mayo is the dogs! Im lost without it. Tescos sell a great mexican chilli bean spread thats great in a sarnie with avocado.

Hey everyone, I have some family in the UK at the moment who will be returning in a few weeks just wondering if you can suggest anything they could bring me back? And also where to get them?
    Thanks!

So, non refrigerated stuff then... erm... Plamil mayonaisse, Marigold Vegan Boullion can get both from health food shops.

Not sure what we have you can't get. Holland & Barrett are quite a common health food store that do alot of vegan stuff.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Primal Strips - Vegan Jerky

from

www.primalsnacks.com

Veganstore are now selling Yagga products in their online shop.

I'm having trouble getting hold of RealEat Veggie mince at the moment (apparently they had a production problem). So I'm looking for alternatives.
    I see Morrisons have a meat-free mince, which from the ingredients looks a possible, but I wanted to know if anyone has verified it's veganity.
    Anyone ever managed to get some info from Morrrrrissssons ?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I haven't, I keep meaning to phone them about their sliced bread though. FYI their customer service number closes at 6:30PM, tried calling them the other day at 6 and was kept in a queue till 6:40 when their office was closed, think they went home early.

I do eat morrisons mince sometimes so I hope it's ok, I certainly couldn't see anything non-vegan in it when I checked last time.

We have frys mince and sainsburys in stock at the mo, ive not had the sainsburys one not checked the ingredients list yet, have made meals for mum with it and she liked it.

Il make a cottage pie at the weekend, tried the frys cottage pie tonight, good protein levels but cant say i was impressed but am often like that with convienience meals, it was a tad dry, salty and the potato was dry.

Asda also do a veggie mince weve brought it for the veggie students to use in college for cookery as very cheap, i did ring asda who said it was ok for vegans.

Quote Cumin View Post
    I'm having trouble getting hold of RealEat Veggie mince at the moment (apparently they had a production problem). So I'm looking for alternatives.
    I see Morrisons have a meat-free mince, which from the ingredients looks a possible, but I wanted to know if anyone has verified it's veganity.
    A number of years ago, ASDA's veggie mince was on their vegan list. But in recent years I've been unable to get any information, or even a response, from them concerning which products of theirs are vegan.

Quote alisont View Post
    Asda also do a veggie mince weve brought it for the veggie students to use in college for cookery as very cheap, i did ring asda who said it was ok for vegans.
    Whoops! I must read more carefully before posting. Can you tell me which number you rang for ASDA? The contact us number from their website?

It was the one from their website I rang, but I never seem to find info instore or the asda vegan list must admit I always thought the own brands veggie mince was vegan, if i eat any veggie mince it seems to cause me stomach ache/bloating so its mainly brought for mum here whos veggie not vegan.

Has anyone out there seen Vegebanger? These have been unobtainable anywhere in the UK for around 3/4 months. I read somewhere that the product is being reformulated to exclude the hydrogenated vegetable fat, and also that the company making them has changed hands/gone into liquidation.

I've got loads of it, I do wish they would stop reformulating products to remove hydrogenated fat though, it's tasty and whenever they do it the product is never as nice as it was.

cobweb

i bought some today

Quote Risker View Post
    I've got loads of it, I do wish they would stop reformulating products to remove hydrogenated fat though, it's tasty and whenever they do it the product is never as nice as it was.
    Well I value my health over palate, so I appreciate.

Yeah, I know there's a reason for it and that alot of people want it out of their diet - not me though

veganstore are selling primal strips too now.. you probably all knew that anyway
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote Risker View Post
    Yeah, I know there's a reason for it and that alot of people want it out of their diet - not me though
    I agree. I'd like to have the choice of putting my consumption of artificial hydrogenated fat over the purchase of palm oil (for example) which is often the replacement. Also, the advice on the health effects of thesr various fat types has changed so many times over the years, that I think moderation of all is a better choice.

Jam, jam, jam.

Meridian 100% fruit organic spreads - mainly cherry and the cherry and berries. Oh and their cranberry sauce!
    If i remember correctly, paxo stuffing is vegan? (still?) and I love sage and onion stuffing!

Quote Cumin View Post
    i havent 'asked' anyone from morrisons about their meat-free mince but it does say on the packet that its vegan so ive trusting that.i buy it pretty regular as morrisons is my local supermarket,its slightly salty i find,but a good alternative if your struggling to get anything else

Quote Pob View Post
    Sainsbury do really nice mini naan breads that are vegan. That's the first vegan naan-breads I've seen and they are damn fine.

I dunno if all branches stock them as I've only seen them in one of the 2 branches I shop at.

The SO range has quite a few organic vegan foods, too.
    Sainsbury's do a pack of two large naan breads which are vegan too. You need to watch out for the "Taste the Difference" ones, though, as these are not vegan. The vegan ones are really delicious doused in water, toasted and spread with a small amount of "Pure" or other vegan spread. Don't know how the animally ones can taste any better!

All of Sainsbury's current range of Organic Soups are vegan. My favourite is "Winter Vegetable", which I eat all seasons of the year (and several times a week) as I think it is made in heaven, especially when topped with a small amount of Engevita.

Having said all that I have to add that my local branch of Sainsbury's is really CRAP for frozen vegan savouries. They stock a very large range of "Quorn" which vegans can't eat, plus Grassington's, ditto. All I am able to get is Linda McCartney sausages which I do like and are 100% vegan, and Vegemince, also a favourite. How I wish they would stock some Redwood Foods products and also have some chilled food suitable for vegans.

Quote Yogini View Post
    I often feel like the only vegan who doesn't like eggplant. Vegetarian Times' holiday issue features a collection of vegan recipes and one of the main ingredients of the cashew roast is eggplant. Otherwise, it sounded pretty good.

Love,
    Anna
    I feel much the same. Somehow I don't like its spongy texture, but I have just got my new copy of Veganomicon and there are some good recipes there with it as an ingredient, so I might get some baby aubergines/eggplants and see if that makes a difference.

Another food I have tried and failed to like is tempeh. Anyone else hate it? By the way I love tofu and seitan.