Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Must look out for the M&S one - more likely to get around to it that way. Think I'll give the profiterole sauce/chicken combo a miss, even though vegan substitutes can be found - yuck!

Quote sued View Post
    Oh now you're talking, mmm white choc buttons
    The tesco near me has recently started stocking the dairy free white buttons. Me and my vegan flatmate literally buy the whole case every time they stock up. Today I was so excited to see a whole shelf of them that I bought all 18 packets

Veganstore have some hair and skin products in stock from a company called Inecto (Coconut shampoo, conditioner, gloss spray, heat protection spray, smoothing serum, body oil, body butter & shower creme), if anyone's interested you can also buy these from Home bargains for the same price (I think) but without the delivery cost.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Veganstore have some hair and skin products in stock from a company called Inecto (Coconut shampoo, conditioner, gloss spray, heat protection spray, smoothing serum, body oil, body butter & shower creme), if anyone's interested you can also buy these from Home bargains for the same price (I think) but without the delivery cost.
    Thank you Firestorm
    I really like Home bargains, they seem to do a lot of vegan stuff

I emailed the company to check if all their products are vegan, this is the response:

"Dear Firestorm

Re: Animal Testing Policy

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Keyline Brands has a policy not to carry out animal testing on any products made and sold. All of our products are non-animal derived, we do not participate in any such activity to do with the use of animals.

To ensure our products are safe to use we send our products for microbiological testing, which is a 5 day test to ensure the product is not contaminated with bacteria, yeast and mould.

However we cannot say that all our products are suitable for vegans.

I trust the above information is of help.

Yours Sincerely"

They sound pretty Vegan to me!!

I found a couple of products this morning that seem Vegan - Barratts Fruit Frosties, I checked the label (Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Colours (Curcumin, Anthocyanins), Natural Flavouring, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates)) and it seems pretty vegan, it does of course say the old may contain traces of milk.

The most exiting find was new flavours of Oatso simple - Chocolate Brownie, White choc and raspberry, Fudge, Chocolate, Cream caramel, Mango and passion fruit, Raspberry & pomegranate, they all seem vegan (double checked on the Tesco website - to find them you have to search for "quaker oss") except for the words "natural flavourings" but I have contacted Quaker to confirm (I hope they are I have already got a box of the brownie ones).
    They also have a honey one that seems vegan as well

^ eh? Honey flavour with no honey? How curious :-s
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

With regards to the new Oatso simple range I got this reply from the company:
    "Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that all of the Oat So Simple range with the exception of Creamy Caramel and Chocolate Brownie are suitable for a vegetarian diet.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us and trust that you will enjoy Quaker Oat So Simple.

Regards

Kelly Bisla
    Customer Services"

I have emailed back to inform them that I wanted to know about Vegan suitability not Vegetarian. It may be that they just wrote Vegetarian instead of Vegan (meaning these 2 products are not Vegan - even with no animal derived ingredients or allergy warning on the label) but I want to make sure before I eat any more of them.

Reply - Finally:
    "Dear Mr Firetorm

Thank you for your further email and please accept my apologies for my error.

The new product suitable for vegans are:

Raspberry and Pomegranate
    Mango and Passion Fruit
    White Chocolate and Raspberry
    Chocolate
    Fudge

I hope that helps. Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Kelly Bisla
    Customer Services"

I found a couple of products this morning that seem Vegan - Barratts Fruit Frosties, I checked the label (Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Colours (Curcumin, Anthocyanins), Natural Flavouring, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates)) and it seems pretty vegan, it does of course say the old may contain traces of milk.

Nom. They are lush. So pleased when I can pop in to a 'local' newsagents and if there are no Fry's Peppermint Creams (win!), then I can always plump for these.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Woe betide you if Frosty stumbles across this thread.

^^ LOL

I just found in B&M Bargains what seems to be a vegan Parkin, the only slightly dodgy ingredients are e450 & e500 which are both vegan according to this site

I had a Trek cocoa brownie today (bought from Lakeside Ethical Treats. I thought that was quite good because it was vaguely chocolatey but not too sweet. Mind you the last thing I probably need at the moment is an energy bar, I need to get rid of some (human) lard

Barratts Fruit Frosties
    Wow, haven't had them since I was a kid!

vegan Parkin

Excuse my ignorance but what is parkin?

Houmous atá ann!

I had to go to wikipedia for this, I "know" instinctively what it is, but could not put it into words:

"Parkin or Perkin is a soft cake traditionally made of oatmeal and molasses,[1] which originated in Northern England. Often associated with Yorkshire, particularly the Leeds area,[2] its precise origins are unclear, and it is very widespread and popular in other areas, such as Lancashire. Parkin is generally moist and even sometimes sticky. In Hull and East Yorkshire, it has a drier, more biscuit-like texture than in other areas. Parkin is traditionally eaten on Bonfire Night,[3] but is also enjoyed year-round. It is baked commercially throughout Yorkshire, but is a mainly domestic product in other areas."

Parkin is delicious - and I think some versions of it are "naturally" vegan or am I imagining that? ETA well I guess the one you found may be a case in point!

Kahan's Individual Coffee Creamer Sachets from Vegan Store. Brilliant - no curdling, no splitting and tastes good!

Food Doctor have launched some Pot Noodle style meals (they appear a lot healthier than pot noodles -Low salt etc) and they are all vegan, just bought 2 from Tesco: http://www.thefooddoctor.com/cid/QQO...nt-Pots-CPOTS/

I just bought some American Wild Berry Skittles in Wigan, and they are vegan!

I just went to Booths and found some products from a company called Adam's Very Clever, they are all vegan and look really good

This may be old news?
    but I have just found out that the Sainsbury's basics apple pie is vegan
    It is £1.50 and very good

ref: http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdon...tember2012.pdf
    - 07260626 0000001722017 Basics Apple Pie 530gram

I guess its relevent to post here as they're available in the UK too, I haven't been able to find Humdinger Sweet William white chocolate buttons anywhere for the last couple of months, both health food shops and Tesco seemed to have stopped doing them. Is there just a local white chocolate button blackspot around where I live or are they also unavailable elsewhere?
    Houmous atá ann!

I think they were discontinued - the VeganStore sent an email a while ago, but they have recently reappeared in my local Tesco so it may have been temporary. I may contact them to find out

I think they were discontinued - the VeganStore sent an email a while ago, but they have recently reappeared in my local Tesco so it may have been temporary. I may contact them to find out
    Hopefully they'll be back soon as it's my favourite vegan chocolate
    Houmous atá ann!

I have sent them an email and will repost when I get a response, but Tesco still have it available for delivery as well

I have sent them an email and will repost when I get a response, but Tesco still have it available for delivery as well
    Ta Firestorm . The fact that it's available somewhere is encouraging!
    Houmous atá ann!

I have had no response yet, but have just been to Tesco and they still have them so fingers crossed.

Finally got a response. This is the contents of the reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry

Dairy Free Buttons are back !!
    Available in Tesco stores from 1st July
    "

Finally got a response. This is the contents of the reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry

Dairy Free Buttons are back !!
    Available in Tesco stores from 1st July
    "
    1st of July last? That's great news anyway
    Houmous atá ann!

Yep, it appears that came back in July

9Bar have finally launched the Vegan Peanut bar:http://www.9bar.com/shop/9bar-single...ars-duplicate/

9Bar have finally launched the Vegan Peanut bar:http://www.9bar.com/shop/9bar-single...ars-duplicate/
    Yes, finally. They told me about this AAAAAAAAGES ago. Thank you for posting this I'll keep an eye on our shelves at work.

ETA: WHAAAAAT??? No carob topping??? Bugger that. I won't be buying it in quantity then Just another peanut bar.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

excuse my ignorance if i'm wrong but i'm sure it was 9bar i looked at in asda, bought, eat, thinking it was vegan but then noticed honey in the ingredients?

^The new one is honey free. They made it that way so it will be vegan

Quote dxt1 View Post
    excuse my ignorance if i'm wrong but i'm sure it was 9bar i looked at in asda, bought, eat, thinking it was vegan but then noticed honey in the ingredients?
    There is a range of 9bars with different nuts and seeds, all with honey except for this new peanut vegan one
    Houmous atá ann!

Hi,
    does anyone know if the palm oil used in L. McCartney products is sustainable? I asked in the shop where I use to buy and they told me that labels must have this information when it is not, but I have never seen any label which says "non sustainable palm oil" (even in junk cookies) which, moreover, would be very bad from a commercial point of view.
    Last edited by Jara; Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

The straight palm component used in Linda McCartney ingredients is RSPO certified sustainable. However, the straight palm is mixed with something called palm fractions to form the ingredient that we use in some of our products. Due to a much smaller world demand for palm fractions, it's far more difficult to segregate out sustainable palm fractions from non sustainable which means the final ingredient isn't currently guaranteed completely sustainable. The UK food industry is moving to achieve RSPO certified fractions by 2015 which in turn would mean a fully sustainable palm ingredient. The Linda McCartney Foods brand is actively driving this target through our suppliers to ensure that we are able to use sustainably sourced ingredients in all of our food products. This issue is enormously important to us, likewise to our customers as well and we are constantly working with suppliers on this matter.
    https://www.facebook.com/LindaMcCartneyFoods/posts/343320022357623

Their products were much nicer when they used hydrogenated fat IMHO.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

You're really kind, Risker, thank you. If we do care about animals' health we must care also about other peoples' life, and palm oil exploitation affects them heavily.

The new flavours from Oat so simple are both vegan - Strawberry, Vanilla & Honey (I checked and they use fake honey flavouring

The new flavours from Oat so simple are both vegan - Strawberry, Vanilla & Honey (I checked and they use fake honey flavouring
    Mmm vanilla and honey sounds nice! I think I still have some of the white chocolate and raspberry flavour (I bought alot and don't eat it very often). Any idea what ever happened to it? Haven't seen it in shops in Ireland in ages!
    Houmous atá ann!

I think the white choc raspberry has been discontinued

I think the white choc raspberry has been discontinued
    Oh well, life goes on! When I'm home for Christmas I'll look out for the vanilla & honey one
    Houmous atá ann!

The strawberry one was really good I tried it yesterday

I pretty much lived off of Trek bars for a while. they had them 50p each in Morrisons so i ended up buying multiple boxes worth. The ultimate food for a trek (hence the name), fits in your pocket and pretty filling, 11g of protein each. Chocolate are the best, i found the fruit ones a bit too sickly to even finish a bar but they taste great for a few bites. Peanut & oat are good too. I prefer Trek to the Nakd bars, better chocolate flavour and nicer texture. I don't buy them much now, because they are quite pricey but they are the ultimate emergency food.

- - - Updated - - -

My main addiction for a while though, was Conscious raw chocolate. The best texture and flavour of any raw chocolate i've found. The coconut & goji berry ones are like heaven. Unfortunately they cost far too much, so they are now a rare treat for me.
    I think the ultimate vegan meal is a curry i invented which i call Morvah Gold. Coconut, naga chillies, lemon, ginger, fenugreek, corriander, bay leaves and other stuff, goes great with a nice mango or banana dhal on the side. i started experimenting with different techniques to try and master the texture and the end result is the best food i ever ate. I might give you people a recipe one day if anyone likes spicey food. It doesn't work without nagas though, or a chilli paste that contains nagas. they have a very unique kind of fruity heat. Until recently the hottest chilli on the market (1.2 million schovilles), but the flavour is so fruity and sweet that used in moderation they beat any other chilli. the combination of that heat balance by the coconut is mouth watering.

Quote Kian View Post
    My main addiction for a while though, was Conscious raw chocolate. The best texture and flavour of any raw chocolate i've found. The coconut & goji berry ones are like heaven. Unfortunately they cost far too much, so they are now a rare treat for me.
    Oh, that stuff is so good! My OH bought me some last Christmas and it went so quickly that I ended up ordering some more from their website. Which also went too quickly! I liked the nutty one best; I love chocolate with "bits" in it.

I've been eating Florida's Natural Nuggets at the moment, they are delicious and labelled Vegan. Got them in Morrisons for £1.49:
    http://www.floridasnatural.com.au/

So much to choose from, Taifun basil tofu and sesame and smoked almond one. Frys peppermint creams, and Taifun organic tofu sausages... Though having just decided to go back to being raw vegan, I've just provided myself with a reminder of all the things I won't be able to eat again, dammit!

I tried the peanut 9 bar recently. It was okay but I felt like it could do with something else. It was just a barely held-together clump of peanuts and seeds!
    Houmous atá ann!

Suma baked beans and Meridan cashew nut butter, just divine. The list is endless though.

Quote herbert View Post
    Meridan cashew nut butter, just divine.
    I also love Meridian cashew butter
    Houmous atá ann!