Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

VeganJohn

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Swedish Glace has got to be the best vegan product. Covered with Alpro choc custard and served with strawberries.

Swedish soft vegan cream cheese is nice but I haven't had it for ages as my local Tescos stopped selling it.

Linda Mcartneys veggie sausages
    Wild Mushroom Yeast Pate
    Cheatin Beef

tails4wagging

Holland and barratts Porkless porkpie.
    Cheatin Ham.
    Toffuti cheating beef roast.

Quote DoveInGreyClothing
    Tofutti Rock'n'Roll cones are delicious.
    Damn stright.

Problem is, has anyone else noticed a horrible inconsistancy with Holland and Barratt?

I can only get those cones if I go to to the Chesterfield one, and they also had cornish pasties. Why not the Nottingham one? The Nottingham one has sage and onion slice things for sandwiches, but I've not seen them anywhere else, it's not fair!
    There's loads of stuff like that.

If I buy those ice cream cones they would have melted by the time I drove home, so I've have to eat all four outside the shop, and I'm just not woman enough to manage that.

I like the Just So orange carob bar with raisins, and without Swedish Glace, I would have gone quite mad by now.

I'm completely addicted to tofutti (or some brand with a similar name i forget) cream cheese with herbs and chives. bloomin luscious on pitta. I never ate real cream cheese though so as a 'fake' I have no idea of its quality, but ah who cares anyway its yummy! I'm gunna have to try me some of those ice cream cones. i've just had dinner and now Im hungry again. d'oh!
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

Redwoods products are great, and they are also very supportive of helping promote grassroots veganism. For example, they sent a sampler of vegan foods up to a school in Dudley a couple of weeks ago for a cooking demonstration that I was doing, including fishless fingers, stuff to make pizza with, etc etc.

Also I have just discovered that, despite the fact many wholesalers don't sell their stuff to local shops and the like, they will deliver one on one to places like corner shops and so on. My local corner shop has just agreed to stock their products, and to make "vegan butties" with a green sticker on it for people to try. Paul will probably call them "veggie" though rather than vegan, as he is not too sure of how people will react to the big v word!

However, whatever he calls them they will be vegan, and this of course is great news, not only because my son and I won't have to walk all the way into town to get our Redwoods goodies, but also because I think Paul is going to be surprised at how quickly these products march off the shop. Once he has them in I am going to plug it on the local radio, along with Sukhi's Savouries, a "Pure Vegetarian" curry van run by a life long veggie, thinking of going vegan Hindu lady.

If you are ever in Wolverhampton go to the open market and try out her grub. Only one product contains paneer - she has phased out ghee, and uses olive oil instead.

Bit rambling this one, but back on topic. (Finally!) Redwoods melting cheezes. Top stuff.

My son is making a vegan pizza at school tomorrow, and is really looking forward to it. So are the other kids!

How about people getting their local shops, pubs etc to contact Redwoods and get in their vegan options? That would be a nice campaign.
    Mary

found a dee-lish new snack in a shop in town today, it's a hazelnut, nougat and dark chocolate bar (sort of sweet and chewy), seems to be by a company called vegan organica or something. you know you want one.

Mozbee

Quote Tofu Monster
    found a dee-lish new snack in a shop in town today, it's a hazelnut, nougat and dark chocolate bar (sort of sweet and chewy), seems to be by a company called vegan organica or something. you know you want one.
    Yes they're the ones who do the vegan answer to the Bounty bar too - scrumptious.

Has anyone heard who ones Holland & Barrett now? The latest name I've been told is an exceedingly (no not Mr Kipling) unethical sugar brand 'Tate & Lyle'.
    Is this true?

I usually change what my favourite food is weekly, i am on a "cut down because your eating to much chocolate and your going to centerParcs in 2 weeks and you have to be seen in a swimming costume" diet My fav things usually are
    Swedish glace (any flavour)
    Any vegan chocolate
    Redwoods sausages
    Alpro milk shakes

Mozbee

There are similarities in our taste Puffin but no way could I be seen in a swimming cosy, I've even got a back up excuse - I can't swim!

I could save myself from drowning, thats about it
    I know i said i was on a cut down diet, well the swedish glace called me from the freezer

Mozbee

Was it the great new Caramel flavour one?

No it wasnt, and to be honest i didnt even know there was such a delight out there. Wow i must look out for that ummmmmmmm Caramel

Mozbee

Quote puffin
    No it wasnt, and to be honest i didnt even know there was such a delight out there. Wow i must look out for that ummmmmmmm Caramel
    It's the chocolate flavour that I feel lurring me most as I walk past the H&B freezer cabinet!

Yeh now your talking, i do love the vanilla though with lots of vegan chocolate on top

Mozbee

I like 'Nut Cutlets' too made by Realfoods, although they have recently changed the recipe and claim they are "New Improved".
    These "improvements" involve - less nuts, more veg as well as the removal of rice, rusk, garlic & tomato from the ingredients.

They are still nice, but I reckon they could have lowered the price with those changes!

sionthebard

Quote Glen
    Linda Mcartneys veggie sausages
    Wild Mushroom Yeast Pate
    Cheatin Beef

I thought that none of the Linda Mcs range had been vegan for about 3 years or so as they have a dairy product in them now even tho' it isn't listed on the packet?

But anyway, my fav food varies from one week to another. A couple of days ago I had money in my bank account just for once so as well as my normal food shopping I bought some vanilla Swedish Glace. When I arrived back home I scooped half of it into a bowl, poured some pecan halves over it and then covered the lucious white mounds with a smoothfully gorgeous golden brown maple syrup. I then sat out in the back garden where I lovingly, teasingly, tantalisingly, one teaspoon at a time, devoured the oh so naughty but pleasurable mixture until my soul was almost satified. Then hungry for more of the wickedness and temptation that had been placed in my path, I repeated the experience... Mhmh food can be sooooooo good at times...

Mozbee

Sounds divine Sion!

I know what you mean about the Linda Mc range I leave it for the vegetarians!

LM range was mentioned in the Animal aid magazine Outrage, it says
    "we are delighted to learn that some of Linda McCartneys products are now suitable for vegans, including Deep Country Pies, Cocktail Sausage Rolls, Sausage Rolls, Vegetable Slices, Sausages and sundried Tomato Sausages"
    Hope that helps

Mozbee

It's nice to know Glen's safe & sound.
    Thanks Puffin

Quote Mozbee
    I like 'Nut Cutlets' too made by Realfoods, although they have recently changed the recipe and claim they are "New Improved".
    These "improvements" involve - less nuts, more veg as well as the removal of rice, rusk, garlic & tomato from the ingredients.

They are still nice, but I reckon they could have lowered the price with those changes!
    i really like those nut cutlets too, and felt a little dubious when i saw their claim that they were 'new and improved' (which is an oxymoron by the way!). it usually means they've changed something good and made it rubbish. but they're still nice and i like the extra veg. i also like their organic frozen veggie burgers.

has anyone tried the Tofutti Rock & Roll vienetta-type thing? i bought some the other weekend as a treat and it didn't last very long!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Mozbee
    Has anyone heard who ones Holland & Barrett now? The latest name I've been told is an exceedingly (no not Mr Kipling) unethical sugar brand 'Tate & Lyle'.
    Is this true?
    i didn't know Holland & Barrett was being bought out?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Mozbee

H&B I heard was owned buy a big, brace yourselves, butchers aargh! yuch! help us! I don't know what firm it was, I knew they'd been bought out, but not by who. Then this friend with knowledgable adult offspring said T&L.

Quote Mozbee
    It's nice to know Glen's safe & sound.
    Thanks Puffin
    I would'n have eaten it if it wasn't alright!

Quote Glen
    I would'n have eaten it if it wasn't alright!
    I just think there has been a little bit of a debate lately if they were vegan or not, i rang their advice line about 6 months ago and they said that non of their products were vegan, but other people have heard different, i think its just nice to read from a pretty reliable source that they are now vegan for sure.

i forgot to mention that i really like Cauldron's soya bean and herb pate. i think it's the only one of their pates which is vegan unfortunately, but it's lovely on rice cakes with sprouted beans

VeganJohn

I keep meaning to buy this. It's a shame more of Cauldron's products aren't vegan.

Thankfully we have Redwood Foods, although I can usually only find their stuff in health food shops.

You can order Redwoods food delivery free in the UK! Or bring their details into your local corner shop, and get them to stock it. Redwoods will deliver anywhere in the UK. Think of ourselves as their agents, and emmisaries for world veganism!

VeganJohn

Thanks for the info Mary! A veggie cafe near me does Redwood sausages and my meat eating parents think they are amazing.

Did they ever do a vegan Feta cheese? I am sure I saw it on their website once but have never been able to locate it.

VeganJohn

Just been browsing the isitvegan site - didn't realise Marks and Spencer's doughnuts are vegan! Haven't had a doughnut since turning vegan

M&S vegan doughnuts????? Really! WOW!!! I am getting myself down there asap!!!!! Have been meaning to buy myself a doughnut baking tray but haven't gotten round to it, maybe I still will, but just being able to buy them is a real treat!!! Thank you for the tip!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

I have just scoffed loads of Swedish Glace Caramel ice cream - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I prefer the vanilla one though, but it's nice to have the option. I think it's also Tofutti who do the choc chip cookies one that comes in a carton-like tub, which is my favourite but my local health food store hardly ever has it in stock. Have also had the Tofutti Vienetta and the Tofutti Cones, HEAVEN! I haven't had ice cream in such a long long time, I was doing fine without it, but it's great to have it now if I want it. I also like Whizzers/Allergy Care Chocolate Footballs, Speckled Eggs and Smarties!
    And Tofutti Cream Cheese Spread, they have French Onion, one with bits of pepper, one with Chives, and Garlic and Herbs. They may do more, I shall have to go shopping!!!!!
    Nut Cutlets.............YUM! With Plamil Garlic Mayo, in a bun, with a slice of vegan cheese.
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Quote mememe
    I also like Whizzers/Allergy Care Chocolate Footballs
    Gorilla sent me some of these in one of my vegan care package last year. I loved to pop them in my mouth and suck them!! (It made them last longer )

tails4wagging

Asdas doughnuts used to be vegan but not anymore!!.

Good news M&S doughnuts are ok, I will spread the word!!

Quote Roxy
    Gorilla sent me some of these in one of my vegan care package last year. I loved to pop them in my mouth and suck them!! (It made them last longer )
    Yeah, and having to take off all that fiddly foil also makes them last longer. I prefer the eggs and smarties as you can just shovel them in!!!

John, help, I went to M&S today and couldn't find any doughnuts apart from the ones they have fresh from the bakery, i.e. with no ingredient listings on them. Are these the ones you meant, if not, what kind of packet are they in (can you scan a picture in so I know what to look for please?!) As you can see, I am desperate for doughnuts!!!!!

I have just eaten some Cheezly herb and garlic cheese, fabulous!!! (by Redwoods).

Granny Ann's Premier biscuits are also good, they come plain or topped with chocolate! I go for the chocolate version every time!!!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Ooh I got some of those Granny Ann's chocolate topped biscuits as a free sample in my order from Goodness Direct. They were lovely

Quote mememe

Granny Ann's Premier biscuits are also good, they come plain or topped with chocolate! I go for the chocolate version every time!!!
    I love them biscuits, i think the choc ones are the best to

Quote puffin
    I love them biscuits, i think the choc ones are the best to
    Flaming expensive though, even with my GNC Gold Card.
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Quote mememe
    Flaming expensive though, even with my GNC Gold Card.
    Yeh they are about £2 a packet, i am trying to eat cheaply at the mo so non for me for a while

Mozbee

Traidcraft's Brazil Nut cookies are lovely (on the bickie subject )

I forgot about this thread and actually posted about this product on another.
    Has anyone else tried Zedz Foods muffins? They are to die for!!! Most of the range is vegan, they make them the day after you order and then deliver. All delivery costs are included in the price on their website. The coconut, banana and date one is lovely. Chocolate tastes a bit synthetic (although it's not). Have just ordered coffee and walnut and can't wait to get them.
    Make great breakfast food!

Quote Mozbee
    I tried these for the first time the other day. I bought them from a Fair Trade shop here in Vancouver. You're right - they are delicious! (Fattening though )

Mozbee

I have a packet handy right now for after tea-time!

VeganJohn

Zedz banana and chocolate muffins are great - quite filling though I find.

Anyone tried M + S doughnuts yet?

No, but last night I dreamt that I ate a donut and then had a panic in case it wasn't vegan

i too love those Granny Ann biscuits, but yeah they're sooo expensive it's not fair!!

i tried a Zedz muffin at the Bristol vegan fayre last year but found it too dry and crumbly. the taste was good though.

glad you liked the choc footballs Roxy! i like the mini-eggs they make too but i can't find them in any of the shops near me.

Quote Mozbee
    They sound lovely, i love brazil nuts. I have never heard of them. Where do you get yours from?

Traidcraft products are sold in many Oxfam shops, some healthfood shops and online at www.traidcraft.co.uk. it would be good if they marked on their website which of their products are vegan, and i don't think they mention it on the packaging either, so i haven't tried most of their food.

Quote Gorilla
    Traidcraft products are sold in many Oxfam shops, some healthfood shops and online at www.traidcraft.co.uk. it would be good if they marked on their website which of their products are vegan, and i don't think they mention it on the packaging either, so i haven't tried most of their food.
    Thanks Gorilla i shall have a look in my local Oxfam. Come to think of it, dont Traidcraft do a vegan dark chocolate that they sell at Oxfam?

Mozbee

Quote puffin
    They sound lovely, i love brazil nuts. I have never heard of them. Where do you get yours from?
    We've got a fairtrade shop in my 'locality' to see where your nearest is the website is here. It might give you a clue!

U know who