Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Ah - the sacrifices you have to make (and want to make) for your children!!

At least it's comforting to know that they would have gone if they were yours. Your son sounds pretty restrained though! (Or are they in a very high up cupboard!?)

Yes, LOL I did believe you about the whippable cream! I was half joking and half just plain impatient and wondering if anyone else had tried it. These vegan store things are so 'precious' - it would be no fun to use them all up at once. You have to wait for the right moment.

Swedish glace choc ices sound great Gorilla. I have had other choc ices (no stick) and they were good, but Swedish glace is lovely. Will look out for them! Has anyone tries the mocha ripple (no idea if that is the correct name) swedish glace? Really nice.

Quote Purrpuss
    The new Alpro Raspberry and vanilla yogurts are absolutely yummy, and when mixed with a touch of icing sugar and poured in to lolly molds and frozen, are just out of the world
    wow i am doing that...
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

(Hi Purrpuss) Ooh - I used to get the alpro vanilla and raspberry things when I lived in Cambridge (from asda no less) and they were definitely my favourite dessert, but I haven't seen them anywhere since I moved.

I think maybe we should change our avatars catmogg! - I even confused myself for a second!

Quote cherry
    I think maybe we should change our avatars catmogg! - I even confused myself for a second!
    ok i'll change mine, its your name!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

AH, but I'm named after cherry blossom, so maybe I should go for that.

Or some apples, just to confuse people!

Cool. Like your strawbs

Purrpuss

Hi Cherry, I get mine from Lembas wholefood wholesale in Sheffield. They deliver free on orders over £120 (?). Nice to get lots of basics in bulk too

Has anyone tries the mocha ripple (no idea if that is the correct name) swedish glace? Really nice.[/QUOTE]

yep, its not all that, i prefer the caramel, which is also new and extremely delicious.

- Byron

Quote Purrpuss
    Hi Cherry, I get mine from Lembas wholefood wholesale in Sheffield. They deliver free on orders over £120 (?). Nice to get lots of basics in bulk too
    wow, you're from Sheffield!! I go to Lembas!!Will you be at the veggie roadshow???

- Byron

Oh - I first had the caramel a long time ago (great) but have only just tried the mocha one. I don't usually like coffee things but liked that, and the thing that impressed me was the toffee sauce effect. Felt like a new generation of vegan ice cream!! Still waiting for mint choc chip.

Thanks. I used to live in York - could have been handy (handier).

It's weird how these different products seem to hit different bits of the country at different times.

Purrpuss

Hi Catmogg, no I get deliveries as I live in Manchester. I didn't know you could actually go shopping there ! Might be worth a trip over

Quote cherry
    Oh - I first had the caramel a long time ago (great) but have only just tried the mocha one. I don't usually like coffee things but liked that, and the thing that impressed me was the toffee sauce effect. Felt like a new generation of vegan ice cream!! Still waiting for mint choc chip.

Thanks. I used to live in York - could have been handy (handier).

It's weird how these different products seem to hit different bits of the country at different times.
    Yeah, Swedish Glace need to take some hints and tips from ben and jerries and start introducing chunks, without the dairy, obviously.

Imagine..

toffe and walnut swirl

cherry and mallow delight

brazil nut vanilla and cardamon

- Byron

Quote Purrpuss
    Hi Catmogg, no I get deliveries as I live in Manchester. I didn't know you could actually go shopping there ! Might be worth a trip over
    Its rather a cold warehouse affair but they do sell certain things in singles- like booja booja choc's, etc...

- Byron

I think you should email Swedish Glace with your suggestions Catmogg!!!!
    Sound good.

yes they are fantastic - very very nice

my daughter loves em

I love them too and Im not really a fan of sweet stuff

Gibby

Mozbee

What about a Swedish Glace extra chocolatey flavour!
    It could have plain choccie drops & choc sauce in - ahhh...divine

Quote Mozbee
    What about a Swedish Glace extra chocolatey flavour!
    It could have plain choccie drops & choc sauce in - ahhh...divine
    Go Mozbee...

what about...

appple and cinnamon swirl (with apple sauce)

toffe and macadamia supreme (with tofee swirls )

white chocolate and raspberry mallow (with white choccy drops, raspberries and marsh mallows )

marzipan munch (with marzipan and bits of christmas pudding)

My heaven

- Byron

Mozbee

All served up by your ideal date complete with spatula and disposable sheets!

Well..... - I was thinking that the chocolate one sounded like the Haagen Daazs (sp?) I used to get.

Perhaps you two should go into business designing new vegan ice creams.

Mozbee

Haagen Daaz blurg! They've got fluid flesh in too I think aswell as moo-baby food.

Oh don't go making me feel guilty. I was young and un-enlightened!

Obviously the thought of eating it now is totally gross, but vegans may as well pinch all the good flavour ideas, and I'd love a vegan Belgian chocolate chip ice cream.

Mozbee

Quote Mozbee
    All served up by your ideal date complete with spatula and disposable sheets!

Please no, my knees are beginning to go wobbly...

- Byron

Recently I've been eating a lot of sainsbury's own brand tinned vegetable chili. I'm not sure quoting a tinned food as one of my current favourite foods won't help give me a good reputation, but it's cheap, fast, and IMHO delicious. I much prefer it to the otherwise similar Stagg's tinned vegetable chili. Both are marked vegan on the tin.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Bad reputation, I LOVE Sainsbury's vegetable chilli. I think it is fantatic, and like you said, quick and easy!

Kevster

Had some amaaaaazzing cake today, chocolate and orange cake. I'm definitely not into the whole marriage thing but could make an exception in this case.

'But he only loves me for my cake...'

It's a start.

So Kevster, you intend to marry a cake?

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    So Kevster, you intend to marry a cake?
    Ha HA!! I was never really a cake person. But I get too influenced by people around me. These days me and Kev compete in cake gobbling. I am on par with him these days.

Hey Catmogg, I bet I can compete with you in Chocolate gobbling. Do you dare to have a go at the London vegan festival? Somehow I have started liking chocolates. I buy loads from Benos these days.

Quote VeganJohn
    Swedish soft vegan cream cheese is nice but I haven't had it for ages as my local Tescos stopped selling it.
    My local veggie group is getting some Swedish Soft in to taste test - Winner seem to be relaunching it and it should be available in Tesco's and Asda again any day now, and Sainsbury's by the end of the month.

For your own sakes, go out and try some as soon as possible! - this stuff tastes better than tofutti cream cheese, and is cheaper. I don't want to see it disappear again! If you don't want to support these supermarkets I'm sure the small healthfood stores will be able to get it too, they could last time.

Sainsbury do really nice mini naan breads that are vegan. That's the first vegan naan-breads I've seen and they are damn fine.

I dunno if all branches stock them as I've only seen them in one of the 2 branches I shop at.

The SO range has quite a few organic vegan foods, too.

Quote Rob(QG)
    That's the first vegan naan-breads I've seen and they are damn fine.
    Naan bread is interesting, because in the past year a lot of supermarkets have started selling vegan stuff (first tesco, then sainsburys, now morrisons). I have a feeling they probably buy it (or at least the dough) wholesale from a single supplier, whose just started omitting yoghurt for cheapness. I have almost perfected making vegans myself from scratch however and fresh is better than anything from a packet
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    I have almost perfected making vegans myself from scratch however and fresh is better than anything from a packet

Could you post the recipe??? I never did like those packet vegans!

I used to love garlic and coriander naan dipped in my veggie stew (with dumplings, of course), does anyone out there know of any vegan ones?

Well DUR, I could just sprinkle some plain ones with garlic and coriander I s'pose!

don't take my word for it, but the garlic and corriander stuff i've seen in sainsburys and morrisons recently in the freshish bread section (ie not made in store, but not long life stuff) looks good.

The stuff I was on about was not long life and tasted as good as the real thing from a curry house.

Thanks, I looked in Sainsburys a while ago but couldn't find any garlic and coriander ones. I'll have another look next time I'm in there. I don't know where my nearest Morrisons is but am gonna look them up now! (Think I read somewhere they do a good range of vegan foods)

Morrisons honestly suck for vegan food compared to sainsburys/tescos/waitrose, but they're seriously cheap for most things and I buy a lot of general ingrediants there. The decor is nausiating!

I looked them up but I won't bother then! Nearest one is 12 miles away anyway, and it said BP Morrisons which I think might mean it's one of those small shops with a petrol station. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Mr Flibble
    Morrisons honestly suck for vegan food compared to sainsburys/tescos/waitrose, but they're seriously cheap for most things and I buy a lot of general ingrediants there. The decor is nausiating!
    I was back home in Coventry for a couple of months earlier this year, and I found the opposite to be true - the Morrisons on Holyhead Road always had quite a lot of vegan stuff, whereas the Tescos on Cannon Park had not nearly as much - most annoyingly they always had an empty shelf where the Alpro Choc Soy milk should have been. Never went to Sainsburys or Waitrose.
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

There's a big morrisons in binley behind the business park where i work. They arn't bad, but I still think sainsburys has the edge. Waitrose sucks for vegans, but they have good quality ingrediants and products that are vegan because they are naturally like interesting breads, i.e. not pumped full of non vegan crap to make them cheaper/last longer etc. The nearest one is solihull, and part of the reason I'm learning to drive

LittleNellColumbia

Im not from the UK sorry guys, but i was curious, has anyone tried tofutti pizza pizzazz? is it good? I was a complete pizza luver before my vegan switch

Quote happycow
    Im not from the UK sorry guys, but i was curious, has anyone tried tofutti pizza pizzazz? is it good? I was a complete pizza luver before my vegan switch
    no, but I'd like to try it. There was free pizza at a staff meeting here a couple of weeks ago, and a colleague asked me why I wasn't getting stuck in. When I told him he snorted something about my diet not 'being fun'.

tofutti cuties are the best I don't think I'll ever get tired of those little beauties

Quote Mr Flibble
    The nearest one is solihull, and part of the reason I'm learning to drive
    There's a really good shop in Earlsdon too, on the high street. Can't remember what it's called, but they have lots of stuff for a small corner shop, plus a little cafe out the back.

Doves Farm Tasty Bars - they really are tasty - gooey chocolate rice crispy cake with chocolate chips.

I just got a packet of 5 bars for £1.70 from Waitrose, which I don't think is too bad considering they're organic.

I had some of the easy bars last week, they werent that easy to eat. Nearly lost a filling trying to munch my way through it The choc ones are lovely though

Hmm I dunno too many...I think the shops need to sell more though to make it easy for me I have to go in like 8 different shops to get different things lol. I need to find 1 really decent vegan shop or website i think lol

Alpro choc milk is the best they stopped selling it in ASDA though which sucks tut and rasperry and vanilla soya yogurts!! Only flavour I like but ASDA have always run out. And err vegan mayonaise...and... too many things! vegan cookies whatever flavour

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote twinkle
    My local veggie group is getting some Swedish Soft in to taste test - Winner seem to be relaunching it and it should be available in Tesco's and Asda again any day now, and Sainsbury's by the end of the month.

For your own sakes, go out and try some as soon as possible! - this stuff tastes better than tofutti cream cheese, and is cheaper. I don't want to see it disappear again! If you don't want to support these supermarkets I'm sure the small healthfood stores will be able to get it too, they could last time.
    this still doesn't seem to have materialised in any shops round here....

i've recently tried Lyme Regis Seven Seeds & Nut bars with cranberry and orange. i don't know if it's a new flavour, i like the plain ones but these are even nicer, very festive
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Chey

sainsbury's 'free from' soya chocolate!