Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Quote Chey
    sainsbury's 'free from' soya chocolate!
    Yum yum i will agree with that. I dont go to sainsburys very often but went with my friend on saturday so stocked up on 1 or 5 bars

Chey

Hell Yeah! it rocks!!!!!!

Oh I didn't like that very much, I thought it tasted like plastic.
    Like Advent Calendar choccy!
    Though Sainsburys makes shopping 100 times easier.

Cauldron Golden marinated tofu pieces are soooooooooo good! And Fry's peppermint cream bars. And Greene and Blacks Maya Gold. I've scoffed all three of the aforementioned today. GET IN!

Chey

I must be the only vegan on the planet who doent like tofu. i dont know what it is... its just weird... mabye it will grow on me with time?

Quote mew_76
    Cauldron Golden marinated tofu pieces are soooooooooo good! And Fry's peppermint cream bars. And Greene and Blacks Maya Gold. I've scoffed all three of the aforementioned today. GET IN!

Ooh yeah those pieces are good, had some last night!
    But a little pricey, I think £2 a pack.

Quote Troutina
    Ooh yeah those pieces are good, had some last night!
    But a little pricey, I think £2 a pack.
    I like these too, and they usually last me for two or three meals.

Quote Chey
    I must be the only vegan on the planet who doent like tofu. i dont know what it is... its just weird... mabye it will grow on me with time?
    It depends what type you use and how it's cooked. A lot of people are put off when they try and cook unmarinated silken tofu it like chicken breast and it ends up disgusting. It's definately something you get more enjoyment from as you get better at preparing it. The marinated once mentioned above, which there was some discussion on a few weeks ago are indeed quite tasty, but overpriced (you can make it yourself half the price) and a bit boring if you have it too much.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Yogini

Quote Chey
    I must be the only vegan on the planet who doent like tofu.
    I often feel like the only vegan who doesn't like eggplant. Vegetarian Times' holiday issue features a collection of vegan recipes and one of the main ingredients of the cashew roast is eggplant. Otherwise, it sounded pretty good.

Love,
    Anna

Chey

Quote Yogini
    I often feel like the only vegan who doesn't like eggplant. Vegetarian Times' holiday issue features a collection of vegan recipes and one of the main ingredients of the cashew roast is eggplant. Otherwise, it sounded pretty good.

Love,
    Anna
    i see... i didnt think that much when i first tried it. its good fried but in in large amounts. my dad can eat it all day but i couldnt! its nice to know im not th eonly one who dislikes something that is such a big part of a vegan diet!

I don't understand that silken tofu. I bought some and it scares me. It looked at me funny and my friend told me its mainly used for desserts. I might google some recipes though and crack it open later...

Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I spent ages making this stir fry once, well for me it was ages, I've never done so much chopping in my life but I forgot to wash the spinach and it was covered in sand so it ruined the whole dish. I fear the silken tofu will have the same effect.

Quote mew_76
    I don't understand that silken tofu. I bought some and it scares me. It looked at me funny and my friend told me its mainly used for desserts.
    You can deep fry it and use it in savoury dishes, but it's best used completely whisked up and added to things. Make sure when you do use it in a dessert that you use an electric blender, it's very hard to completely puree it to a smooth texture by hand. It has a beany taste, so make sure what you're adding it to either has strong flavours or that you only use enough tofu to get the texture you want, as opposed to as a bulking agent. The main thing I use it for is making mouse, which if stuck in an oven for just over an hour will let some of the moisture come out leaving a more baked cheesecake like consistancy.

Has anyone noticed that Sainsbury's have "new and improved" their chiller section samosas and they're now vegan again after about a year of being "new and improved" with milk.

Personally I think they were really nice originally, and I don't think these are an improvement but they're alright and since I've only tried one batch I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Samosas are always an emergency supermarket food for me, so I was really peeved with Sainsbury's when they changed the recipe and I'm glad they've made them okay again. I actually physically jumped for joy and gave a little squeal when I saw them today

Quote Yogini
    ...the main ingredients of the cashew roast is eggplant...
    Euuurgh! I don't really like eggplant, and I call cashew's 'the devil's toenails'.

I'm really not a fussy eater, but I really don't like either of those things at all! In fact, those and okra are about the only things that I don't like.

Yogini

I adore cashews, but I'm a bit allergic and can't really eat more than a handful.

Quote twinkle
    Has anyone noticed that Sainsbury's have "new and improved" their chiller section samosas and they're now vegan again after about a year of being "new and improved" with milk.

Personally I think they were really nice originally, and I don't think these are an improvement but they're alright and since I've only tried one batch I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Samosas are always an emergency supermarket food for me, so I was really peeved with Sainsbury's when they changed the recipe and I'm glad they've made them okay again. I actually physically jumped for joy and gave a little squeal when I saw them today
    I did the same and bought some and they are utter crap. The pastry tastes of cack. The filling is pretty much just potatoes. Bleeuuurghh!!! I had them warm, mind. Maybe cold they would be less offensive.

I don't get how they got them so wrong.

i don't think i've tried Sainsbury's chilled samosas, but i do like their frozen onion bhajis and samosas. they don't seem to have had any for a while though

have i mentioned their chilled vegetable dhansak is really nice? quite spicy with lots of veggies and lentils, goes great with Alpro plain yoghurt.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Chey
    I must be the only vegan on the planet who doent like tofu.

No you're not!!!

I know it's lunchtime but you've all got me obssessing about food!!! I love the Cauldron Marinated Tofu!

On the sweetie side, NOTHING beats Tooty Frooties I was so excited when I saw them in the new Animal Free Shopper.

When did Sainsbury's change their Samosa's? The last ones I bought from their online shopping had milk in them - despite saying on the website they were vegan

It was only very recently (as in last week or two). They are labelled vegan on the packet.

Cheers Rob(QG), doing Sainsbury's shop tonight so will have to have a snoop!

Hope you like them better than I did.

Quote pookah
    I know it's lunchtime but you've all got me obssessing about food!!! I love the Cauldron Marinated Tofu!

On the sweetie side, NOTHING beats Tooty Frooties I was so excited when I saw them in the new Animal Free Shopper.

When did Sainsbury's change their Samosa's? The last ones I bought from their online shopping had milk in them - despite saying on the website they were vegan
    tooty frooties are vegan?!!!!!!! am i thinking of the right sweets. are they the little square chewy sweets? they were so so good as a kid. im running to the newsagents NOW !!!

Chey

hey, marmite kid? i take it you like marmite!
    so do i, i love the stuff! if it wasnt vegan i dont kniw what i'd do! he he

Quote Gorilla
    i don't think i've tried Sainsbury's chilled samosas, but i do like their frozen onion bhajis and samosas. they don't seem to have had any for a while though
    Gorilla - they discontinued the frozen ones about 6 months ago round here - I bought a load that were reduced and had the red sticker of doom (i.e. discontinuation).

I'm pretty sure that the frozen samosas and bhajis you get in Morrisons, which are double the size of the Sainsbury's packs and cost £3 for 2 packets, are exactly the same thing though - so they are better value and you get more of them! (even though you have to go to stinky morrisons to get them )

unfortunately there's no Morrisons for miles around here. oh well!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Mmm I just had some Dutch Apple Cake- its £1.89 and I bought it from Waitrose, it's in the Free From section. Yummy!

And for anyone in Brighton- I didn't really know where to post this, and didn't want to start a whole thread about it! But---- the ketchup at Albion Kebabs by the station isn't vegan. It says on the side it has egg in.
    Unless they stick the ketchup in an old bottle of mayo?
    I was disappointed. And slightly worried about ketchup now!!

Albion Kebabs?!! personally i wouldn't eat in a kebab place anyway - they never seem the most vegan-frienly of places! what do you get in there that's vegan??? sounds strange that they'd have ketchup made with egg, but who knows....

Haha yeah I'm a dirty kebab eater!
    Chip kebab with salad- probably the best food after a drink.
    I used to have 1000 island sauce, but now I have to run home and make it if I can be bothered haha.

I've just remembered I've got a Sainsbury's vegan apple strudel in the freezer, and I've also got Alpro custard I'd forgotten about!

Wow! A dream come true on a cold and frosty night. 'Scuse me while I go and switch the oven on... .

Mh, that apple strudel is gorgeous, I had it with some vanilla swedish glace... I'm glad I stocked up on apple strudel when it was BOGOF not long ago!
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Damn I missed out there!

Something else I love is a quick and easy crumble I sometimes make using tinned apricots and Co-op vegan crumble mix. It's proper yummy.

Something I yearn for is a toffee sauce to pour over the fruit. Mmmm... toffee apple crumble...

i'll have to look out for that Co-op vegan crumble mix sounds yummy Lily.

i love Sainsburys frozen breaded onion rings. N.B. the BREADED ones are vegan, the BATTERED ones are NOT vegan. they're in very similar packets but make sure you get the right ones. they're gorgeous and as i'm too lazy to make my own onion rings they make a naughty-but-nice snack or side dish.

Ooooooh I LOVE onion rings! Thankyou for mentioning that, Gorilla. I've not had any for ages so they will be a real treat . Anyway life's too short to faff about making them!

The crumble mix should be in the home baking section. Co-op also have some tinned fruit pie fillings which are vegan, not sure which flavours. Not really fond of them myself but just in case you might like them with your crumble .

what's in a crumble mix?

Crumble (2:2:1 flour:sugar:marg) is one of the quickest/easiest things to make.

Quote Gorilla
    ... N.B. the BREADED ones are vegan, the BATTERED ones are NOT vegan. they're in very similar packets but make sure you get the right ones. they're gorgeous and as i'm too lazy to make my own onion rings they make a naughty-but-nice snack or side dish.
    Unless they've changed the recipe back again, both breaded and battered onion rings are now vegan - just check the front of the packet.

Quote Gorilla
    i'll have to look out for that Co-op vegan crumble mix sounds yummy Lily.

i love Sainsburys frozen breaded onion rings. N.B. the BREADED ones are vegan, the BATTERED ones are NOT vegan. they're in very similar packets but make sure you get the right ones. they're gorgeous and as i'm too lazy to make my own onion rings they make a naughty-but-nice snack or side dish.
    The battered ones are vegan- I ate some tonight!
    It definetly says they're vegan on them, cos I was shocked!!

You guys are lucky.

The end.

*sigh*
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Troutina
    The battered ones are vegan- I ate some tonight!
    It definetly says they're vegan on them, cos I was shocked!!
    maybe they've got old stock in my Sainsbury's, cos the last time i checked the battered ones were definitely not vegan.

Oh no!!
    I hope that all the new ones are vegan, rather than the other way round!!
    Though my boyfriend made me home made onion rings and they were good!!
    The batter was something like water, flour, salt, sugar and pepper, than really chunky rings of red onion. Cover the rings in flour and dunk them in the batter, then put the into a pan of hot oil. They were amazing!!

i don't know whether it's the new ones that are vegan or the old ones, maybe their customer service people would know but they're not usually much help...

i'm sure home-made onion rings are miles better of course i'm just not really sure about the whole deep-frying thing - it scares me! plus i have a really bad reaction to fresh onions, the juice makes my eyes so sore i can't see, so if i do use fresh onions i just hack them up as quickly as possible and shove them in sauce or whatever, if i tried to cut them into neat rings suitable for battering i'd be in agony!

*EXCITEMENT!!!*

In Infinity Foods in Brighton I found vegan COLA BOTTLES!!!
    Those chewy little sweets, they're exactly the same and are soooo nice!!
    And organic haha!
    About £1.60 for a tiny bag but so worth it!

And I found a sort of vegan bounty, but much nicer than Bounty, much moister.

I love Infinity Foods!!
    Must go to the cafe and try their choccy cake.
    Can anyone recommend something I should try there?
    Usually the temptation of RedVeg is too much and I run off and have a chilli burger!!

those cola bottles are good, they're available on Veganstore too.

Red Veg is yummy but the food in Infinity Cafe is much healthier their menu changes quite a lot so i can't really recommend anything in particular, the salads are good though, and their cakes are great

BTW i checked the onion rings in Sainsburys and they had some battered ones that were vegan, so looks like it's a new recipe. had to buy a pack to sample them of course

I bought not one but three boxes of redwood sage and majoram sausages on Sunday

(One box has gone already )

Those cola bottles are great too

Blueshark

Quote cherry
    I bought not one but three boxes of redwood sage and majoram sausages on Sunday
    They sound good - will have to try them.

Mmm RedVeg is soooo good.
    I saw a Vegan Chocolate Chilli cake when I was looking at the Infinity Foods Cafe menu which sounds... interesting!!
    I LOVE those battered onion rings, they're soooo nice!!

i love the jelly babies from Veganstore at the moment. i haven't found any vegan jelly babies anywhere else which is a shame as they're one of the few things Veganstore sell that i can't get in a local shop (as far as i know).

SOunds like lots of you like Indian food, so how about this:

vegan Naan bread - always hard to find! In restaurants it tends to have some milk porduct in it, and in the shops too. I like chapatis and roti, which tend to be vegan, but not nearly so much as naan.

But we found a brand with ingredients list that's vegan in one of those late night Indian shops in London (in North End Rd - very near the excellent new vegan restaurant called 222). The make is:

Barbari Naan Bread, tel/fax 020 8795 2637

Good luck finding it!

Hi Soph! Some Sainsburys own brand Nan bread is vegan as well! (They are labelled - it's the 'normal' ones, not the 'Taste the Difference' ones.)

oldsilverhead

Yesterday I entered the realms of Redwoods Thai Fish Style Cakes and I can honestly say that to date they are the most thrillingly delicious thing I have eaten since becoming vegan!

Anyone else tried them?

oldsilverhead