Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Quote Marrers
    I've def seen those Whizzer speckled eggs in shops, though I can't remember where now. I will keep my eyes peeled and report back!
    I used to like them a lot but i'm trying to cut out foods with sugar so....................
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I got some of the Whizzers chocolate eggs from Morrisons last week - I think they were 59p
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

We try to keep a supply of "Organic Food Bar"s in the house as they are a fantistic travel meal, or breakfast. http://www.organicfoodbar.com/ I can particularly recommend the "Active Greens" one.
    The Get Real Organic Sutaki pies also have a permanent place in our freezer. (info) I think I fancy one tonight with some oven chips.. mm.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin
    The Get Real Organic Sutaki pies also have a permanent place in our freezer. (info) .
    They are delicious...............but a tad expensive!

Quote gogs67
    They are delicious...............but a tad expensive!
    This is true.. so we just treat ourselves once a week. The organic food bars are also v. pricey but they seem to be packed with stuff and really fill me up.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin
    We try to keep a supply of "Organic Food Bar"s in the house as they are a fantistic travel meal, or breakfast. http://www.organicfoodbar.com/ I can particularly recommend the "Active Greens" one.
    The Get Real Organic Sutaki pies also have a permanent place in our freezer. (info) I think I fancy one tonight with some oven chips.. mm.
    i've never seen either of these anywhere...

Morrisons sell Whizzers - and for 59p?! there's no Morrisons near me... they seem to have quite a few vegan products that are hard to find in some areas (although i don't really shop in supermarkets much anyway).

i've had the Veggiemaster vegan 'chicken breast' a couple of times and it's not bad - not to everyone's taste though as it's apparently quite a lot like real chicken. i don't know why i like it though as i always hated chicken, but it's pretty versatile.

another new treat from Veganstore is the liquorice allsorts - just munched my way through a whole bag (with a little help! )
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I bought a bottle of Yaoh hemp seed oil for the first time today. Roped in by that superfood aura I was Used some of it as a dressing and it was tasty. Just don't use it to fry stuff with

feral

lol @ the liquorice allsorts, I spent the afternoon munching through a bag til I felt sick

I also got the coffee whitener stuff, not bad at all.

too pure marge is very handy
    alpro soya dairy-free shakes

nice stuff

Quote feral
    lol @ the liquorice allsorts, I spent the afternoon munching through a bag til I felt sick

I also got the coffee whitener stuff, not bad at all.
    Licorice alsorts are vegan?!?! I love those but I have been avoiding them because I thought they weren't vegan. I've been buying these higher priced licorices instead...says vegan on the package. Would like the alsorts more though.

Quote Jane M
    Licorice alsorts are vegan?!?! I love those but I have been avoiding them because I thought they weren't vegan. I've been buying these higher priced licorices instead...says vegan on the package. Would like the alsorts more though.
    The ones from vegan store are vegan the actual licorish(sp) all sorts aren't I'm sure.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

yeah the liquorice allsorts i'm talking about are specifically vegan, from www.veganstore.co.uk i don't know where they get them from, they come in plain plastic bags. i doubt if many branded liquorice allsorts are vegan....

Quote feral
    LOL - i gave myself a bit of a tummy ache 'cos i ate them too quickly. ooops
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i hate liquorice allsorts...yeuch..just cant eat 'em!

feral

lol Gorilla, naughty vegans

lozza I feed my husband the black ones and have yet to find someone who likes the pink and blue beady ones... we were thinking of saving all the yuck ones up for six months and then selling them on e-bay, I'm sure second hand sweets would do well (not!). I ordered them to try and wean myself of the darn jelly babies but it doesn't appear to work

We discovered this week that Sainsbury's little multi seed loaf from the fresh bakery is vegan which is fantastic as it has to be my favourite bread

its weird. i used to eat liquorice allsorts all the time when i was a kid..cant stand em now!

Have we mentioned Henderson's Relish yet? Nice little addition to a toasted sarnie or a soup/stew

And made in sunny Sheffield!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Quote feral
    lozza I feed my husband the black ones and have yet to find someone who likes the pink and blue beady ones...
    you mean the ones with the jelly inside? they're yummy! i like them all.

Quote feral
    We discovered this week that Sainsbury's little multi seed loaf from the fresh bakery is vegan which is fantastic as it has to be my favourite bread
    my favourite supermarket bread has to be Co-op. they used to do a multigrain wholemeal bread which was lovely but they haven't had it in my local shop for ages (their supply of many things seems a bit hit and miss). they do some really nice soft white granary bread. i'm not supposed to eat bread though

Quote Cloudy
    Have we mentioned Henderson's Relish yet?
    never heard of that! i love relishes and pickles, i wonder if it's available down south?

Quote feral
    have yet to find someone who likes the pink and blue beady ones...
    They're the best ones!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just been to look on the vegan store website. Every time I look they're out of stock for one of the things I want, and so I put off ordering and then when I go back again a few weeks later there's something ELSE out of stock

i've had that problem with Veganstore too Cherry. sometimes i email them to ask when a product is going to be back in stock, so i know whether to order without it or wait a while. they've stopped selling quite a few products i liked recently too, i loved their Danish butter-style cookies!

Gorilla, have you ever bought the cheesecake mix from veganstore? I made it and it came out all lumpy.

no, i don't think i've ever tried that. it's one of their American imports isn't it? i don't find those very good value for money to be honest. i tried a couple of the other cake mixes, i think i bought the chocolate sponge and the donut holes and they turned out ok, but a bit expensive for the amount of cake they make IMHO.

Yeah, they ship them over from the States. You're right, they're not cheap, but I got really excited when I first found the veganstore (forgive me, I'm fairly new at this) and bought a bunch of stuff. I've got their brownie mix in the cupboard, but after the cheesecake experience it's put me off from making them.

well i think the brownie was the one i bought (i said chocolate sponge, but now brownie actually sounds more familiar) and it wasn't bad. i handed it out at work and they seemed to enjoy it

Quote Cherry
    Every time I look they're out of stock for one of the things I want, and so I put off ordering and then when I go back again a few weeks later there's something ELSE out of stock
    Same here! I'm desperate for Peanut Chews - shame the recipe has changed as I prefered the old ones but they are still very nice. I'd also like some more Luna bars.
    Didn't know about the allsorts, would like to try them as well. (Looks like you have found a couple of takers for your unwanted ones feral!)
    Quote Gorilla
    sometimes i email them to ask when a product is going to be back in stock, so i know whether to order without it or wait a while.
    So do they get back to you? I must try this, need to know when the chews are returning so I can ration current supplies - but somehow I reckon I'll be in New York before they get them in, so will be able to stock up myself!

i love those peanut chews too, but yeah they've been out of stock forever! they usually get back to me but on the odd occasion (probably when they were really busy) they didn't reply to my email.

pick up some chews for me when you're in New York won't you LOL

Out of all the vegan food products that I have come across Hall's Vegetarian Haggis tops the lot so far.

You can cut it into whatever portions sizes you want and freeze it which is really handy when only one of you likes to eat it.

Morrison's is the only company I know of who get it for the Cleveland (UK) area and it costs £1:87p

Quote Gorilla
    i've had that problem with Veganstore too Cherry. sometimes i email them to ask when a product is going to be back in stock, so i know whether to order without it or wait a while. they've stopped selling quite a few products i liked recently too, i loved their Danish butter-style cookies!
    I just went on Vegan Store and nearly everything it seems to be out of stock. It is weird you'd think they'd make more of an effort. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I'm a big fan of crispy mock duck with pancakes, cucumber, spring onions and some kind of sauce.

The pancakes are hard to find, but I found that Morrisons stocks them with the Chinese foods, so bought a stock of them.

All I've got to find now is a nice sauce to go on them. None of the plum or hoi-sin sauces you can buy taste anything like the stuff they serve up in Chinese restaurants I overheard someone in Morrisons saying the same thing.

Didn't even think to look for veggie Haggis in there I will get some sometime this year.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Rob(QG)
    I'm a big fan of crispy mock duck with pancakes, cucumber, spring onions and some kind of sauce.

The pancakes are hard to find, but I found that Morrisons stocks them with the Chinese foods, so bought a stock of them.

All I've got to find now is a nice sauce to go on them. None of the plum or hoi-sin sauces you can buy taste anything like the stuff they serve up in Chinese restaurants I overheard someone in Morrisons saying the same thing.

Didn't even think to look for veggie Haggis in there I will get some sometime this year.
    I like the same, but I like the hoi sin sauce, I think the one I've got at the moment is blue dragon.

Had some today in fact, with some spring rolls.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Did anyone try a cake from Blue Lotus? They look great and I'm thinking of splashing out for my birthday, since it's my 40th and I want to impress everyone at my 'do' with how tasty vegan food can be!

Quote Gal
    Out of all the vegan food products that I have come across Hall's Vegetarian Haggis tops the lot so far.

You can cut it into whatever portions sizes you want and freeze it which is really handy when only one of you likes to eat it.

Morrison's is the only company I know of who get it for the Cleveland (UK) area and it costs £1:87p
    Hellll yes. I love that stuff =]

Also Linda McCartney (I think) Country Slices are great.

Talking Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

Okay! I'll hold my hands up, I think I must of bought all the goodies from the VeganStore this month... did 2 orders because my sister ate all my sweeties when she visited

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY!

Mind you they never have 'Shells & Chreese' which my boyfriend could quite happily exist on! But I did get the red thai paste and it was very nice.
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 4th, 2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Haggis posts are now in http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3443

feral

Heeee I'm so happy, managed to find vegan potato bread, staple diet of the Northern Irish, mmmmmmmm vegan ulster frys *drool*

Quote feral
    Heeee I'm so happy, managed to find vegan potato bread, staple diet of the Northern Irish, mmmmmmmm vegan ulster frys *drool*
    Is that the same as potato scones?
    Get them in Scotland and i think they're nearly all vegan!

Mmmmm - I like potato bread. And dulce. And stout.

Can I be an honorary Irishman?

I just stick the potato bread in the toaster and then munch on it dry

Quote Rob(QG)

What stout is vegan?

feral

Don't know about Scotland but the potato bread I've got in England is nowhere near as nice as ours. I have to say the Irish in general love their bread, unfortunately I've yet to discover vegan wheaten or soda farls (nothing like the soda bread sold in England) . I'll have to find out about treacle bread now *drools some more*

And Rob toasting it is actually a criminal offence in NI under section 98 of the tho will not healthify our tasty grub ordinance, you'll never be granted your honorary Irishman status if you put that down on your application form.

Tatty bread should be fried up with some button mushrooms (well salted) and loads of fried tomato, all well done to bring the flavours out

Gogs,

Samual Smiths "Extra Stout" is vegan. YUMMY!!!
    x

Quote Clara
    Gogs,

Samual Smiths "Extra Stout" is vegan. YUMMY!!!
    x
    Cheers..........not a huge 'stout' drinker but it's handy to know!

I haven't had any since being vegan. But I know that there are a couple of brands that are vegan, and I do love the stuff.

Quote Rob(QG)

Rob, might let you be an honoury Irishman as you know an Irishwoman - will have to bring back loadsa potato bread, vegan boxty & yellowman next time & put you to the test
    I miss treacle bread

Doves Farm Digestive Biscuits.

Quote Nadine
    Rob, might let you be an honoury Irishman as you know an Irishwoman - will have to bring back loadsa potato bread, vegan boxty & yellowman next time & put you to the test
    I miss treacle bread
    Not tried boxty or yellowman (though that sounds like cinder toffee). Is treacle bread not veganisable?

Quote Rob(QG)
    Nakd and Trek bars are yummy. www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk
    The Nakd bars are raw.

I just had a cocoa brownie trek bar for brekkie with a blood orange and banana.
    i had one of those cocoa brownie bars this afternoon. at first i was disappointed that it tasted of dates and not chocolate (as often seems to be the way with vegan chocolate cake/brownies for some reason). but then i realised the more you eat, the more chocolatey it tastes

Quote Gorilla
    i had one of those cocoa brownie bars this afternoon. at first i was disappointed that it tasted of dates and not chocolate (as often seems to be the way with vegan chocolate cake/brownies for some reason). but then i realised the more you eat, the more chocolatey it tastes
    I find a lot of vegan treats try to be too healthy. Sometimes I just want a chocolate cake with thick icing...no gluten free sugarless stuff.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Catie
    What happened to sainsburys spicy bean burgers, they were nice. Last time I went shopping they weren't there and then when I checked the website they werent on it.
    They're back! They disappeared from my local for a while too. Now they're back with new packaging. An orange box rather than green. They're fantastic in a large wholemeal bap, with melted tofutti cheese, spicy relish and some sliced gerkin. mmmm.........

Quote Tigerlily
    I find a lot of vegan treats try to be too healthy. Sometimes I just want a chocolate cake with thick icing...
    I'm making one of those for Easter

Quote Antonia
    They're back! They disappeared from my local for a while too. Now they're back with new packaging. An orange box rather than green. They're fantastic in a large wholemeal bap, with melted tofutti cheese, spicy relish and some sliced gerkin. mmmm.........
    Yayyyy!!!
    I have been saving the last 7 I have in my freezer, but if they're back I shall bask in the bean-ness of burgers once more!

Quote Lily
    Crisp/snack fans, look out for new Kettle Crispy Bakes. I found them in the Co-op yesterday, tomato with basil and green peppercorns - Mmmm-Mmmmmmm! very tasty .
    i've only just been able to find these, until now i'd only ever seen the non-vegan flavours. they're really nice and on special offer in Sainsburys at the moment - three bags for £1.

I eat loads of them

They're like penne pasta in a bag