Thread: Healthy/Low-Fat Vegan Food

Default Healthy/Low-Fat Vegan Food

I have decided I need to lose some weight, not loads, but say half a stone or so. I eat vegan junk food constantly. The problem is that fruit and veg on its own doesn't satisfy my appetite and I crave food with more fat in it. I'm very picky so hate a lot of food - I hate rice, tofu, mushrooms, nuts... and I hate all asian and indian food. And am not really a fan of raw vegan food.

So was wondering if people can suggest some low-fat or healthy vegan food - preferably ready meals/convenience food as I am too busy to slave away in the kitchen! Preferably in the UK too.

Also, it seems like everything has so much fat in it. For example, I was looking in my cupboards to see what I had that might be healthy. Even looking on a can on lentil & vegetable casserole which I'd assume would have heaps of fat I discovered it has more fat than a packet of crisps! And I think the cottage pie that I had last week had lots of fat in too. I eat loads of crisps, cream cheese on toast and stuff like that - but thinking I need to find replacements that have less fat in - but taste as good.

Default Re: Healthy/Low-Fat Vegan Food

Do you eat beans and lentils from a can? Veggie burgers? just eat them with the fruits and veg and then you will feel satisfied. I can't eat a bunch of raw veg and feel full either. I have to eat protein with them.

I don't know how much fat is in the things you listed, but it's really more important to worry about overall calories and saturated fats. Fat is good as it keeps you feeling full for longer. If you reduce overall calories you will lose weight. try counting them up and see how many calories you eat today and then start eating 500 less.

Thanks for the tip. The only beans I eat are baked beans - usually on toast - or with hash browns, veggie sausage & meat free fingers. I know the baked beans are healthy and low fat but there's only so many baked beans I can eat! Had them on Tuesday with chips lol. I go through phases where I'll like a certain food and eat it loads and then get bored of it. I'm not on a big baked beans on toast kick at the moment. :-/ I have never had lentils on their own in a can... don't think I'd like them on their own.

I do eat veggie burgers and spicy bean burgers (the only 'spicy' thing I like... but it's not that spicy) - maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks at the moment. Maybe I can try with some veg...

I do have some fruit most days and I've been trying to eat it in the evenings, I tried to stop eating unhealthy food after 9pm - but I've slacked since Xmas! (Just opened some popcorn after seeing someone else mention it in a different thread... It's 2.30am and I need to sleep now!).

I would suggest fruit in the morning. It's high in carbs which is energy that will be stored as fat for later use, if not used up. So eating lots of carbs before bed isn't the best for weight loss. The high sugar content is also great to start the day off. Lentils are loaded with salt so I love them I usually put them in a pan with some peas, corn(minimal), sometimes some other mixed vegetables as a dinner. The whole meal contains maybe 3 grams of fat at the most... It's loaded with protein and fiber to make you feel full I've also been looking for vegan breakfast cereals as they're usually fortified with nutrients and are low in calories.

I would recommend A protein smoothie, if you buy some plant based protein powder, mix it in the blender with almond milk, frozen berries, a banana and whatever else you like it makes you feel amazing and tastes like it should be 1000 calories. The protein will make you feel satisfied and really cuts down on cravings for carbs and what not.
    Also, if you enjoy eating what you normally are eating just add some exercise into your day...it can even be light exercise like going for a walk with your music, and it makes a difference after some time. Not only will you notice yourself losing weight, but a night time walk to your favorite music kicks ass.
    All the best!
    If to live we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain

Pity you don't like nuts - they are the best appetite depressant ever!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Pity you don't like nuts - they are the best appetite depressant ever!
    Hehe, and they are about 50% fat.

I'd suggest trying out 80/10/10 (80 % of your calories from carbs, and maximum 10% from fat and max 10% from protein). This can mean eating only fruits and vegetables, and about as much as you like of it. While the vegetables and salad supply you with nutrients, fresh fruit supplies you with the required energy in form of sugar.

However, reading your *somehow peculiar* eating habits, I hope that you can find a lot of things that you really like.

Best regards,
    Andy

Much as I hate cooking I'd say preparing your own vegetable casseroles and soups is the way to go. You can make a big batch and eat it for days (or freeze some), and you don't have to put anything in it you don't like - or any fat. Even things like shepherd's/cottage pie can be made with little or no fat.

Commercial convenience foods tend to contain a lot of fat, sugar etc, because those things are cheap, and also because they make foods palatable, so you may need to re-educate your palate a bit (and experiment with different seasonings such as lemon juice) before you enjoy the healthier versions.

Quote kmacbeth View Post
    I would recommend A protein smoothie, if you buy some plant based protein powder, mix it in the blender with almond milk, frozen berries, a banana and whatever else you like it makes you feel amazing and tastes like it should be 1000 calories. The protein will make you feel satisfied and really cuts down on cravings for carbs and what not.
    Also, if you enjoy eating what you normally are eating just add some exercise into your day...it can even be light exercise like going for a walk with your music, and it makes a difference after some time. Not only will you notice yourself losing weight, but a night time walk to your favorite music kicks ass.
    All the best!
    Is a protein smoothie much different to a normal smoothie? I have drank smoothies before and still ate as much as usual. Liquid foods never really fill me. For example, I don't really have soup often because it doesn't feel like a meal, it doesn't feel substantial enough.

I do wish I had more time to exercise - but with having a dayjob, then producing a magazine in my spare time, and then if I have any extra time other than that, I do SaveAScream.com, I'm always piled high with work (I have a list of band interviewed I need to research for for my mag). Last night I didn't get to bed till 2.30am because I was so busy - would have liked to have gone to bed at midnight as I was so tired from no sleep the night before, but... time flew by so fast - with no time for exercise. This is also why I prefer convenience/fast food - as I don't have time to really waste in the kitchen. The only thing I really cook is a soya cheese pizza and I hate that it takes me over 10mins!

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions so far. I will look into some of them. If anyone else has any more, please post!

The protein powder in a protein smoothie is what fills you up and satisfies that hunger feeling. If I just have a regular smoothie I'm hungry half an hour later. With the protein I can last for at least 4 hours before I want to eat again. Protein Powder is expensive, I'm not sure what it's like in the uk and the variety plant based ones are offered there, but in Canada it can range from $40 to $70 dollars for a big tub of it. A scoop is plenty to give you your daily intake. Let me know how you like it if you give it a try!
    If to live we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain

I timed myself making veg and lentil soup and it took under 10 mins (before cooking) - confirming my suspicion that "inconvenience foods" aren't necessarily that much slower to prepare than convenience foods, you just need to think ahead a bit more. This made several portions too.

What's more the soup is really good - and I don't take any credit for that, it's just that with fresh vegetables the flavours "sing" in a way that might surprise you if you usually drink ready-made soup </Heston Blumenthal>.

The other thing I like about this sort of cooking is that there's no packaging at all apart from the lentil bag - just a bit of peel and a few manky leaves which can go in the compost.

Quote harpy View Post
    I timed myself making veg and lentil soup and it took under 10 mins (before cooking) - confirming my suspicion that "inconvenience foods" aren't necessarily that much slower to prepare than convenience foods, you just need to think ahead a bit more. This made several portions too.
    I just find soup boring and unfilling. To me it's like a drink. It only fills you up if you eat loads of bread with it, and even then it's not too appetising.

But as I said, I'm picky...

Still really looking for different low-fat/cal food that I really like... I suppose this could take a while! LOL.

Haven't tried the protein powder yet. I see Goodness Direct do have some Pulsin protein powder for sale - maybe next time I order from them I'll try that.