Thread: I need a tonic... Flu, laryngitis, period trouble

Default I need a tonic... Flu, laryngitis, period trouble

Hi Everyone.

I have had a cold since the week before Christmas. That has steadily got worse, and so I eventually dragged myself to the Doctor on Friday to be told I have flu, and laryngitis. I feel dreadful. Also, I am moving house on Friday as our landlord returns from Sweden and wants his house back, and as yet I have no home to go to, with two kids and five cats... you could say, I am a little bit stressed...

Also, my periods are now mega heavy compared to what they were a year ago, and I was prescribed Mefanamic Acid but haven't taken it. My GP on Friday also said I am pale and "look anaemic"... I've never been anaemic in my life and have been a regular blood donor.

I've been vegan for a year this week. What am I missing? I don't like nuts, I eat lots of spinach and vegetables, avoid junk food, lots of beans and lentils of various types.

Can anyone suggest something I can make/buy to make me feel a bit chirpier this week? I am so run down right now. And I have masses to do before the weekend on very little energy.

Thank you.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

cobweb

Default Re: I need a tonic....Flu, laryngitis, period trouble

aw, poor you.
    I had Flu and Laryngitis aswell a few weeks back, no voice atall for several days!.
    When i feel run down and anaemic (I have heavy periods aswell) I take Spatone in orange juice for a few days. It's a natural source of iron occuring in Welsh spa water, it comes in sachets and I can really recommend it. It even tastes nice!.

I read in a raw food book that eating a lot of raw carrots can lighten or eliminate periods, also that lemon juice is good. I'm not sure how accurate the info is, read it in a book called Raw Energy by Leslie and Susannah Kenton.

If you like garlic and onions they're meant to be good purifiers and helpful for combating infection, and you could also try some echinacea tea, you can also get fruit flavour echinacea sweeties which might serve a double purpose if you've got a sore throat. If you can't find them where you are and want to try them PM me a contact address and I will send you some
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

It seems a bit irresponsible of your doc to say you look anaemic if they didn't do a blood test? It *is* the middle of winter, so a lot of folks are looking pale!

Have you looked at something like the Vegetarian Society or Vegan Society's 'sources of iron' pages? You could pick all the things which you don't dislike but haven't eaten much or recently and give them a whirl!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks lovely people... I'll try the Spatone, where is it available? And I eat lots of onions and garlic but might hav a go at some raw tomorrow! I'm feeling worse today than I did before and haven't had a chance to rest until now.

I never gave the Vegan Society a thought but I'll do it now and make myself an iron banquet tomorrow! Thank you x
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

cobweb

Default Re: I need a tonic... Flu, laryngitis, period trouble

I get Spatone from Tesco but you can get it in most pharmacies and health food shops aswell. I just had some today, I love the taste of it!.

Thanks, 'll try and get some tomorrow from the HFS... I'm allergic to Tesco! They want to build a massive distribution centre in our town and anyone seen supporting them goes into the town stocks...

cobweb

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Thanks, 'll try and get some tomorrow from the HFS... I'm allergic to Tesco! They want to build a massive distribution centre in our town and anyone seen supporting them goes into the town stocks...
    Quite right too
    I use them because I'm lazy and live just up the road from one .