Thread: New European study confirms fruits and vegetables help prevent heart disease

Default New European study confirms fruits and vegetables help prevent heart disease

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: New European study confirms fruits and vegetables help prevent heart disease

That's an amazing article. Korn,did you also happen to see BBC news yesterday which said a recent study showed that five a day is not enough and should be more like 8 a day, but that was unachievable so a balanced diet was recommended instead?! I looked for a link but couldn't find one anywhere.

ETA: Just found this... in Daily Mail so probably a load of rubbish! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...t-veg-day.html
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Default Re: New European study confirms fruits and vegetables help prevent heart disease

Quote Blueberry View Post
    That's an amazing article. Korn,did you also happen to see BBC news yesterday which said a recent study showed that five a day is not enough and should be more like 8 a day, but that was unachievable so a balanced diet was recommended instead?! I looked for a link but couldn't find one anywhere.

ETA: Just found this... in Daily Mail so probably a load of rubbish! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...t-veg-day.html
    I've heared the same things before that you really need more like 8 a day. The 5 a day is the bare minimum of what you should have, 8 is much better. Most people find it very difficult to get to even 5 a day though.

There was another article on the Mail's website about how fruit and veg are useless and how fibre isn't necessary. Written by a Zoe somebody. I refuse to look at the Mail anymore, they pander to the lowest demoninator and are desperately trying to push buttons in order to increase their readership.

On a funnier note, when I first heard the 5 a day rule, I thought it was 5 fruits and 5 vegetables. I tried really hard to do it too, until of course I realised it was 5 fruit and veg combined.
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

I read the exact same article on the daily mail and got really annoyed so I put a response in. After I checked 20 minutes later I had 50 red arrows and someone saying I had a closed mind lol! The only thing I said was that the article was a load of nonsense and I wondered if anyone was stupid enough to believe what was said, well I guess they did! After this I decided to stay away from this website, I think they mostly cater to morons (sorry for the language)

The Mail isn't trying to attract intelligent readers just help justify the lifestyles of it's reader base. I never bought the Mail and never will. I might use it to put under my wet boots though to keep my floors clean and dry though!
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

The Daily Mail is a vile piece of polemic and it makes me sad that it is even in print

I like the way those Daily Mail readers are getting all indignant at the idea of eating 8 portions of fruit and veg, as if it was 8 kilos. A portion is a very modest amount according to the govt guidelines with their "three heaped tablespoons of stewed fruit" and so on.

I read before that the govt recommended 5 portions here because 8 was so much beyond what most people have that it was too ambitious a target - and the Daily Mail discussion seems to bear that out

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Korn,did you also happen to see BBC news yesterday which said a recent study showed that five a day is not enough and should be more like 8 a day, but that was unachievable so a balanced diet was recommended instead?!
    Hi,
    No - I didn't... but I generally think that whole 'x a day is' is simplified and can be very misleading. You can't just eat 5 or 8 day and feel safe that you get the nutrients you need, because it all depends on what those X a day contain in terms of minerals, vitamins and so on.

Many vegans probably eat around 12-15 different plant types a day - or more.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

veggiesaurus

doesnt everyone know that already?