Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are Ikea restaurants full of meat?

tails4wagging

Default Why are Ikea restaurants full of meat?

Their buffet is laden with meat. It is impossible for a vegan to eat there. I have only visited their restaurant here in the UK once, that was enough.
    Do all Skandinavians eat alot of meat?.

Yes, they normally do.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I believe the Scandinavian diet is supposed to be the most animal-centered in the world. At least they aren't raiding their neighbors anymore.

I thought the Inuits had an even more meat centered diet?
    No Gods, No Masters.

At the Ikea restaurant here in Vancouver, I was able to get a couple of vegetable samosas and some baked vegetables. But that's all the choice that I had. Kinda sad really

Iceland is a fishing country...
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

I went to the Bristol one and sat and bought some water them proceeded to eat my vegan sandwhiches.......a manager approached me and said you are not supposed to eat your own food in here I pointed out that I am hungry I have just spent a small fortune in your store and it does not cater for my diet....he looked embarressed and left me alone.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

tails4wagging

Good idea Snaffler, but I cannot abide seeing all that dead flesh and people next to me eating it!

they do chips but how are they fried/cooked?

i've never been to an Ikea store before, but from what i've found with other large stores with restaurants, it's a similar experience pretty much everywhere. you might be able to get a jacket potato with beans and no butter if you're really lucky in these sorts of places.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: Why are Ikea restaurants full of meat?

Ikea's chips are cooked in vegetable oil, or oven chips, so technically vegan, although there will be risk of cross contamination. Their beans are okay as well last time I checked. They use cheap bulk bought beans, not HP, which are the only ones we know of in the UK that are not vegan. So if you are ever dining in a café and want to know about the beans, just ask. If HP, no! If anything else in the UK, you should be okay.

If any of you know any differently of beans, let us know so we can keep the is it vegan website up to date.

And again, good one Snaffler! Though I find the smell repulsive in there, so I know where T4W is coming from!

You know what, Neil and I are going to ring them up on Tuesday and ask them for everything they do that is vegan, and when they are likely to increase their range. There is one for vegan pester power!

Last time I went to ikea I just had a tea but they assured me the veggie bolognase was vegan - but when it arrived fro my daughter they had covered it with parmazan cheese.

Beans - thanks for the tip as I was unaware of HP not being vegan.
    Asda and Tesco keep changing theirs.
    The cheaper ones are better as I found the mid priced ones had much more sugar and added sweeteners than the basic range.

But lately the ingredients now contain "natural flavourings" and the staff cant tell me what they are.
    This seems to be cropping up in quite a few products lately.

Gibby

Quote Realfood Mary
    They use cheap bulk bought beans, not HP, which are the only ones we know of in the UK that are not vegan. So if you are ever dining in a café and want to know about the beans, just ask. If HP, no! If anything else in the UK, you should be okay.
    Waahhhhhhaaaaahh bugger me tell me about HP Mary please, I read some place less that 12 months ago that HP are fine for vegans, I read the tin at the time of buying them because I was getting fed up with eating cheap beans, I have looked on the tin again and see no obvious non-vegan thing is it a background process the are not obliged to state.

Keen to know about the score with HP please anyone.

Thanks

snaffler

realfood neil

HP Sauce is fine. HP beans have hidden milk products which they don't list on the tin. Don't trust them until they write to the Vegan Society begging apology!

Thanks Neil, filthy pigs thats not on at all, my diet is an ethical diet but what if a person is on the diet of no Dairy for allergy reasons it could have devistating effects, that is well out of order.

Thanks though, whats done is done for me I can get another bean, it just goes to show you can be an old hat vegan and still make mistakes, well I guess not intentional if H bloody damn P had done some correct labeling on the tins.

VeganJohn

I recall reading the label of an HP Beans tin, a very large one and to my dismay saw the words 'BUTTERMILK' staring out at me

sugarmouse

Quote snaffler
    I went to the Bristol one and sat and bought some water them proceeded to eat my vegan sandwhiches.......a manager approached me and said you are not supposed to eat your own food in here I pointed out that I am hungry I have just spent a small fortune in your store and it does not cater for my diet....he looked embarressed and left me alone.

lol you rock snaffler

tails4wagging

Shock Horror, about the beans!!. I use Heinz are they ok????

the beans issue threw me as the regular tin does not list them as having any animal stuff in them at all.

Coop beans and Sainsbury are OK some brands of Tesco, check out isitvegan database under FOOD/BAKED BEANS they have some listed.

VeganJohn

I am sure HP are the only unsuitable beans. I had some lovely barbecue ones once and they were OK from the packaging.

I know that some of the asda beans - did have milk in to pad them out.
    I havent checked lately as my good lady told me there was no difference in quality between the 3 price brands - smart price, normal and fancy label - as she used to work for the no so nice ppl.

I also found that some of the more expensive juices that were chilled were full of added sugar and other crap than the smart price juice - and really should have been labeled as "juice drink" not Juice.

all supermarkets have the same policy of different prices to get the most money out of each group.

I dont mind paying for stuff but its a bit sill when the more expensive stuff is the same or worse quailty than the cheap priced items.

Gibby

One thing that quite often differentiates canned foods like beans is the amount of salt added. I always used to go for the cheaper beans, but Heinz have the lowest salt content (of standard baked beans). Mixed beans in tomato or chilli sauce are generally the lowest in salt, though. Heinz also do a lower salt and sugar variety without sweetners (but they do taste bland unless you add some spices).

I had a hunkering for tinned spaghetti the other day (I know it has no nutritional value at all), but when I looked at the tins I wasn't sure if any were vegan (all had added vitamins, with no indication of source). Turns out that most are vegan. What I did find, though, was that Asda tinned spaghetti is ridiculously salty - 1 tin plus a couple of slices of toast would be your daily salt allowance.

I use Aldi's baked beans, they're very cheap but taste just as nice as the more expensive ones. I'm not impressed with Lidl's ones though.

Pink_princes

I have never heard of that Ikea restaurant until now

Geoff

If the Ikea restaurant was 'full of meat' (How gross) you wouldn't be able to get in anyway!

I have never been into the ikea restaurant. Every time I walk past it, I dry reach at the horrible stench it expels. So does my boyfriend. I would rather starve. They also promote their restaurant by displaying on a poster these awful looking swedish meatballs that look like my dog's shit.

They do salad plates so I normally have one of those with a bowl of chips.
    To be honest the stuff I eat when I'm out isn't that different to when I was veggie, cos virtually every veggie option has cheese in it which always made triggered my reflux.

It's sad but I can't remember the last time I ate out and had something other than chips, salad or jacket potato

Quote snaffler
    Just read this thread and that is a classic Snaffler made me giggle at your audacity but brilliant one all the same hehehe!!

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Quote tigerbabe
    They do salad plates so I normally have one of those with a bowl of chips.
    To be honest the stuff I eat when I'm out isn't that different to when I was veggie, cos virtually every veggie option has cheese in it which always made triggered my reflux.

It's sad but I can't remember the last time I ate out and had something other than chips, salad or jacket potato
    I find it very sad that sometimes those are the only vegan options at a restaurant.

Quote tigerbabe
    You need to get out more! Surrey boarders London, which has lots of vegetarian/vegan places. Brighton isn't too far either, it has plenty too.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    You need to get out more!
    True but that's a whole other thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct me if im wrong.Ikea is a big SWEDISH company and i believe the traditional swedish fare is mostly meat foods.

Eliana

Last year we wrote several mails to Ikea in Italy, but I think they keep in every country the same products.
    We were protesting against a carpet (rug?) made with the skin of a sheep. They never answered and I haven't had the chance to get to an Ikea store lately.
    I wonder if they still sell them...

In norway, they have some vegetarian, and some vegan dishes in ikea. Its alot of meat too, but in norway, cafès and resturants usually dont have vegan food at all.

Quote tails4wagging
    Their buffet is laden with meat. It is impossible for a vegan to eat there. I have only visited their restaurant here in the UK once, that was enough.
    Do all Skandinavians eat alot of meat?.
    Actually when I last visited a Swedish IKEA restaurant (which was a month ago or so) I was delighted to see their civilised menu. There was one or two vegetarian dishes plus a small vegetarian buffet. I was very pleased.

It suprises me a lot that the British IKEA menu was that poor, while the Swedish was great! I would expect it to be the other way around...

/Monika, vegetarian Scandinavian

According to this Norewegian article, 20 percent of all meals served at IKEA (in Norway) are vegetarian, and falafel has become a big hit after they added it to their menu...
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 1st, 2010 at 01:04 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Why are Ikea restaurants full of meat?

The IKEAs in America are slow to catch on to this trend. I found an article about a new IKEA opening in Portland, Oregon which has a huge vegan and vegetarian population but I was kind of saddened because the article states that the new store has just one vegetarian option. I'm not sure what the vegetarian option is but it's probably not even vegetarian. Most cheeses use animal rennet as a coagulant. Rennet is an enzyme that is scraped from a calf's stomach. So if you are reading this and thinking about going from vegetarian to vegan, here you go.

-- "Play Big and Eat Big (If You're Little!) - Balloon artists, entertainment and face-painting for kids will take place at IKEA Portland from July 25 through July 29. They also can enjoy a macaroni-and-cheese meal with a fountain drink for 99 cents.

No Need to Shop on an Empty Stomach at IKEA Portland...

-- Beginning July 30, the IKEA Restaurant will start opening one-half hour earlier than the store for a full hot breakfast, including scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon for 99 cents.

-- The 250-seat restaurant also offers lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert, with a diverse menu, including traditional Swedish specialties such as the popular IKEA Swedish meatballs, shrimp sandwiches, salmon platters, and American dishes such as pasta, chicken and a vegetarian option.

-- Menu choices for kids include a child's portion of Swedish meatballs or macaroni and cheese, while baby food, bottle warmers and bibs are available for even younger visitors.

-- A Bistro near the store's exit serves hot dogs, cinnamon buns, frozen yogurt and beverages.

-- The Swedish Foodmarket offers Swedish delicacies, treats, and even frozen Swedish meatballs (the same ones served in the store's Restaurant) to purchase and then prepare at home."

--quote taken directly from the IKEA website.

Quote Eliana View Post
    We were protesting against a carpet (rug?) made with the skin of a sheep. They never answered and I haven't had the chance to get to an Ikea store lately.
    I wonder if they still sell them...
    I just visited an IKEA in East Palo Alto, California (near Stanford Univ.) and they are still selling the sheep skin rugs. I actually petted one hoping that it could feel that it was loved. *wimper*

It does have loads of meat, but the few times that I did eat there (when I still ate eggs/dairy), I don't think I liked the food very much anyway...
    I remember reading somewhere that IKEA does sell very good vegan cookies in their store, though. I haven't looked for those yet.

We ate at Ikea last time we were there because we were starving, and it's one of those places you get stuck in!
    We asked and the chips were ok. I ended up having plain pasta with a tomato sauce (which I grilled the chef about, turned out it was pretty much just plain passata - tasted very boring). And that pasta meal was on the kid's menu so I had to make a fuss to be served it. It's so ridiculous!
    They were the only veggie things there, let alone vegan.

I ate at Ikea a month ago. They actually had a veggie soup that was vegan. It was soup of the day. I had fresh fruit with it.

I go there and eat french fries, and that's about it.
    context is everything

Went to ikea yesterday and got a nice bean stew with couscous- the first guy we asked about vegan food was useless, but then a girl came out with these allergy sheets and they actually had a bit on whether each meal was vegetarian/ vegan and what the risk of contamination was, I was impressed! Apparently the chips (fries) were done in the same oil as hash browns so she couldn't guarantee they were vegan as the hash browns had milk (?) but the couscous stew was nice. I'd not actively go there to eat but was pleasantly surprised that there was something available!

patientia

Wow! I once tried to eat at the Ikea restaurant in Graz, Austria. After explaining that I don't eat meat, dairy or eggs, the cook asked me if I ate fish

Quote patientia View Post
    Wow! I once tried to eat at the Ikea restaurant in Graz, Austria. After explaining that I don't eat meat, dairy or eggs, the cook asked me if I ate fish
    gggrrr! Let me go & find a wall to bang my head against!! Why are some folks too dim for words!!! TBH, after reading through this thread, I for one will be giving this company a very cold shoulder!!

I don't usually find it amazingly difficult to get something to eat in Ikea. It's not the sort of place I'd go to expecting to have a vegan three course meal, but ask kiki mentioned, if you ask they do have an allergy sheet in the kitchen. The soup is often vegan.

I don't even try to eat in places like Ikea

There's a health food store that does takeaway pasties/pies a couple of minutes walk from the Coventry one.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I once asked the question on the 'Friends of Ikea' forum why they have so few offerings for vegans.

Their reply was basically that I should tell them a family-oriented restaurant that has more vegan options.
    Of course, if you compare them to McD and BK they are most likely fine :-(

I went for the salad with balsamico dressing and the cous-cous (minus the cream that usually goes with it). and I got myself a hotdog minus the sausage at the hotdog place and loaded it to the brim with pickles, onions and mustard....

Best regards,
    Andy

Whenever I am in Ikea restaurant I have boiled potatoes and nothing else. The last time even potatoes were tasteless and a little bit eww, so I guess it's better to buy a banana at a supermarket if you are hungry.

Quote Mystic View Post
    I have never been into the ikea restaurant. Every time I walk past it, I dry reach at the horrible stench it expels. So does my boyfriend. I would rather starve. They also promote their restaurant by displaying on a poster these awful looking swedish meatballs that look like my dog's shit.
    Hahahah, how I looove to hate Ikea! I have never set my foot in there, and this gives me yet another reason not to.