Thread: Working for a New Body

Cool Working for a New Body

If I went partially fruitarian (say, all my snacks were fruits) go on a 1500 calorie diet, exercise by doing parkour or freerunning for an hour and a half for one day a week and do 2-3 fifteen minute workout sessions almost every day, would I be able to lose weight and sculpt my body?

Also, I currently weigh 121 pounds and I am 5'4.

EVERYONE LOOK HERE THIS IS A NEW IDEA.

Alright, what if I was still a vegan, but went fruitarian for two days a week and fasted from dawn to dusk, or from the afternoon to bed-time (the fasting is done for spiritual reasons as well as health purposes, I feel great when I fast). I'll try to add exercise in here too of course. What do you all think about this?
    Last edited by Urban; Feb 13th, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: A REVISION IN THE DIET AND OVERALL LIFESTYLE.

Default Re: Working for a New Body

Lol, I would hope so Although freestyle walking isn't the safest exercise you could take part in. Definitely not the easiest on the joints I'm really happy with the way my workout is coming along. I do quite a bit of exercise over the day, but I eat about 2200-2500 calories a day. You need to eat enough if your hoping to put on some muscle. Your body wont waste its time repairing muscle tissue if it thinks you're not going to get enough energy to maintain it. I think the best method I've seen so far is to eat enough that you'll easily put on fat and muscle, then exercise enough that your body realizes it needs the muscles, and burns the fat. I'm about 2 months in so far and am extremely pleased with the results.

1500 calories on a day where you'd be exerting yourself for an hour and a half isn't nearly enough. I'd say 2000+ everyday if you're going to be active. Your body would end up breaking down muscle for energy.

Good idea! I know I went totally fruitarian for about two weeks and actually nearly passed out towards the end... I don't know if I should eat over 2000 calories since I'm not sure about how many calories the 15 minute rounds go, but I guess I'll have to experiment.

Yeah I just... free eat? If I feel hungry, I eat. And I try to let my body tell me what it needs. I just don't keep junk food in the house because it messes everything up

Yeah, for me, junk foods actually make me feel bad on the inside, and plus, their taste is less satisfying.

I eat junk food one day over the week I do really enjoy some of it, and for whatever reason it relieves alot of stress just watching a movie and stuffing your face one night a week Other than that, it's pretty much all healthy.

Quote Back-Space View Post
    I eat junk food one day over the week I do really enjoy some of it, and for whatever reason it relieves alot of stress just watching a movie and stuffing your face one night a week Other than that, it's pretty much all healthy.

I eat a little bit of junk food (say 2 oreos and some cashews) about everyday, but the rest of my diet is composed of fruits and veggies (and grains of course)lol

I'm no expert but I would say you would need more than 1.5k calories on such a regime especially if you are looking to put on some muscle. I have quite a bit of muscle, having a physical job and walking everywhere and am both heavier than you and 2 inches shorter. I can see my ribs at this stage and am slightly curious as to why you would want to lose more weight? not that it is any of my business of course

Quote vorpal View Post
    I'm no expert but I would say you would need more than 1.5k calories on such a regime especially if you are looking to put on some muscle. I have quite a bit of muscle, having a physical job and walking everywhere and am both heavier than you and 2 inches shorter. I can see my ribs at this stage and am slightly curious as to why you would want to lose more weight? not that it is any of my business of course

Well, it's not exactly weight loss, really, I'm targeting fat to get rid of. I don't get to go out a lot to workout (when I even get time to workout which is rare) since I'm a student, and I already have to keep up with school work, piano and a number of other things. I'm already at a healthy weight for someone of my age and height from what I've been told, but I'm not comfortable with my fat content. I'm just trying to figure out what's the best diet and exercise to do all of this (which needs to fit my schedule.)

Hi Urban,
    one question - are you male of female (important for the BMI)?

Another thing ... sign up to www.nutridiary.com or similar and start tracking your consumption there. At least for a week or so to find out what you are really eating in a day.

Also, consider picking up Dr. Doug Graham's '80/10/10 diet' book - it is exactly about a fruit-centered (raw) vegan, low-fat lifestyle and contains a lot of important information IMO.

I have been trying to follow the 80/10/10 principle (min. 80 % of calories from carbs, max 10% from fat and max 10% from protein, which basically means eschewing most kinds of oils and fats as well as animal products) since I read 'The China study' in October 2010 and have since lost ~20 lb (going from 95 kgs to 85 kgs at 185 cm body weight - male).

I try to eat lots of fruits during the day and as snacks, and a large (really large) plate of cooked vegetables and salads for lunch in the company restaurant (and of course not to stay hungry at any times) every day, so for me it has worked out so far (and will most likely continue to, as I do not plan to change that lifestyle anytime soon). Ah yes, I also get up no at 5:30 in the morning for a little morning run (about 2 miles) and some push-ups/sit-ups before preparing breakfast (muesli/green smoothie) for my family...

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Hi Urban,
    one question - are you male of female (important for the BMI)?

Another thing ... sign up to www.nutridiary.com or similar and start tracking your consumption there. At least for a week or so to find out what you are really eating in a day.

Also, consider picking up Dr. Doug Graham's '80/10/10 diet' book - it is exactly about a fruit-centered (raw) vegan, low-fat lifestyle and contains a lot of important information IMO.

I have been trying to follow the 80/10/10 principle (min. 80 % of calories from carbs, max 10% from fat and max 10% from protein, which basically means eschewing most kinds of oils and fats as well as animal products) since I read 'The China study' in October 2010 and have since lost ~20 lb (going from 95 kgs to 85 kgs at 185 cm body weight - male).

I try to eat lots of fruits during the day and as snacks, and a large (really large) plate of cooked vegetables and salads for lunch in the company restaurant (and of course not to stay hungry at any times) every day, so for me it has worked out so far (and will most likely continue to, as I do not plan to change that lifestyle anytime soon). Ah yes, I also get up no at 5:30 in the morning for a little morning run (about 2 miles) and some push-ups/sit-ups before preparing breakfast (muesli/green smoothie) for my family...

Best regards,
    Andy

Oh dear, it seems that I've totally forgot to add that bit of info. Well, I'm female. I'm trying not to limit my calorie intake too much so that I don't exhaust myself because I need to do some 'all-nighters' at times when I have too much work from school. I've attempted fruitarianism, but I quit mainly after hearing how people could develop gastric bypass and thyroid issues... I don't know how to get past that issue.

1500 calories is not enough for an active person and especially not enough to gain muscle. If your diet is based entirely on unprocessed plant foods, you may not be getting enough protein either which is crucial in repairing muscles.

This is an extreme comparison, but I train regularly for bike racing and even on rest days I have to consume at least 2500 calories just to keep weight on my skinny 153 pound frame. On a day where I do a long ride I can easily consume 4,000 calories in a day (I take in 250 calories in every hour during exercise). The easiest way to eat is to eat when you're hungry and eat whole foods if you're active enough gaining weight shouldn't be an issue.

In your case, the goal of losing fat you should probably reduce your fat intake and eat plenty of complex carbs. Bear in mind extra protein things such as powders, bars etc... things with high protein content should be looked to repair muscles after exercise. The body does not store protein so it's unneeded the body turns it into carbohydrates and fats.

Aerobic exercise is the best way to shed fat period, although running doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think.

well, I don't know, what if I went switched from vegan to fruitarian... by alternating on a day to day basis, would I get anywhere? Is it healthy?

I always thought there was no way that people could pull off a healthy fruitarian diet, but that's the way I felt about veganism a year ago People are doing it...

EVERYONE LOOK HERE THIS IS A NEW IDEA.

Alright, what if I was still a vegan, but went fruitarian for two days a week and fasted from dawn to dusk, or from the afternoon to bed-time (the fasting is done for spiritual reasons as well as health purposes, I feel great when I fast). I'll try to add exercise in here too of course. What do you all think about this?

RubyDuby

Urban- you should join this thread.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Urban- you should join this thread.

Wow, that was really good! At least my issues with protein intake is solved!