Thread: Bill Clinton vegan?

andybuildz

Default Bill Clinton vegan?

I don't think the Youtube feature here is working for me so here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4hbV4RgzI8
    It's a pretty healthy debate for the most part.
    As a vegan that is also a macrobiotic practitioner I have to agree that we shouldn't need any supplements such as Omega fish oil supplements.
    I think people reach out to supplements more times than not simply because they're too lazy to do their homework.
    While Clinton doesn't seem to be 100% vegan he sure does seem to be on his way.
    I'm never impressed reading about different celebrities that have gone vegan but when people such as Clinton goes that route it says a lot to me b/c Clinton is by far more than just a celebrity. He has a brilliant mind and is an amazing humanitarian.
    Concerning the Omega 3's and fish oil myths, Gary Yourof"sky says it well.
    "Claims about omega fatty acids being found solely in fish are absolute lies. Some fish have omegas because they've eaten algae/seaweed or consumed other fish who have already eaten algae/seaweed. Every vitamin, mineral and nutrient comes from the earth in the form of fruits, vegetables (sea or land), nuts, seeds, grains and legumes. Animal products only contain trace amounts of vitamins, minerals and nutrients because animals eat plants (sea or land). Meat is, at best, a secondary source of essential elements.

Açaí (fruit), beans, black currant seed oil, blue-green algae, borage seed oil, cabbage, canola oil, flax (oil/seeds), chlorella, corn, green vegetables (leafy), hemp (oil/seed/powder/milk), pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, soy, sprouts (all), squash, vegetable oils, walnuts and wheat all contain omega fatty acids WITHOUT cholesterol, WITHOUT enormous amounts of saturated fat, WITHOUT trans-fatty acids, WITHOUT animal protein and, most importantly, WITHOUT cruelty!"

Recently I just purchased a three pound bag of Hemp Seeds on Amazon for about $30. Amazing whats packed into these little seeds!!..and they taste AWESOME!! http://www.ratical.com/renewables/hempseed1.html

leedsveg

Default Re: Bill Clinton, the President of the World has gone vegan!

Hi andy and welcome to the forum.

leedsveg

Realistically he's pescetarian.

If you wanted to say he was "almost" something, then he would be almost a strict vegetarian. Certainly not vegan though.

Quote andybuildz View Post
    I think people reach out to supplements more times than not simply because they're too lazy to do their homework.
    And because there are no reliable plant based sources of B12.

Quote Risker View Post
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...urate-language
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

It's like one of those 11+ questions......................
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

andybuildz

Quote Risker View Post
    Realistically he's pescetarian.

If you wanted to say he was "almost" something, then he would be almost a strict vegetarian. Certainly not vegan though.

Semantics..right but as I said about myself when I was a vegetarian... Thats where I started until I evolved further. It actually did take me several step to get there.
    For myself...I was vegetarian until I grew(up) and then became vegan. Not everyone wakes to see the afternoon sunlight..some of us need to see the mo(u)rning first.
    Some never do but I tend to have hope for people willing to take a step at a time

I was anemic for many years. I I had to take B-12 shots once a month. My doctor told me that most folks stay anemic and learn how to do deal with it as I was doing.
    Over the course of time I felt as though my health was all that I had so I added from a vegetarian diet...a macrobiotic lifestyle/diet which I studied for many years in the late 70's. Over a course of a year or so I stopped the use of ALL supplements, ALL processed foods and went to being a vegan as well.
    I went for a yearly physical and my doctor told me all my levels were perfect! I told him that I stopped the B-12 shots many months prior to the exam. I think he was kind of shocked...and oh yeh...I stopped my high blood pressure med as well (Atenol).
    He asked me what I was doing differently. I told him I went vegan and macro. He had no clue what macrobiotics was but told me to keep doing whatever it was that I was doing.
    Now I have no proof that using macrobiotics and balancing my foods through the process of Yin/Yang http://macrobiotics.co.uk/yin.htm and eating what grows in my seasonal climate at the right times had anything to do with it..but it's just a hunch that my hard work at paying attention to my lifestyle and dietary needs might just have had a little something to do with it.
    Be well
    andy

The reason I suggested that he wasn't nearly vegan was that Bill Clinton's diet is as I recall entirely for health reasons rather than ethical (I could be wrong about this).

With regards to B12, as the body can store the vitamin for many years a blood test just shows that your B12 levels are okay at the time of the test and not an indication that you're regularly getting enough. Unfortunately I think this catches many people out who wrongly assume they're getting sufficient B12 from their diet when in fact they're just running off of reserve stores and it eventually catches up with them.

Is your doctor a dietician? Most regular doctors have terrible training in nutrition and really shouldn't be relied upon for such matters.

andybuildz

I agree Risker..about clinton and how he's doing it for health reasons but thats how I too started until...like I said...I evolved. I think more times than not..especially if you're an intelligent person you start to get it. Sometimes. It's just kind of shocking to me that Clinton who I really respect a lot for all the good he does in this world is even a vegetarian....so to speak...I know, I know.
    It's also true what you say about B-12 but it works both ways as well. I know how I feel in comparison to how I felt which to me is a great indicator b/c more times than not in so many instances you're your own best doctor. Not always...but a lot of the time.
    The macrobiotic lifestyle coupled with being vegan makes total sense to me in all it's philosophies.
    My energy levels have probably doubled with no exaggeration since I changed my diet to MB..and vegan. could be a coinky dinky..who knows?

I agree it's good news, but perhaps we could get the thread heading changed, if he hasn't actually gone vegan yet? (also, he isn't technically the president of the world )

andybuildz

You're right..the title heading should change but it won't let me do that. I used that false statement because I in part copied the title of that youtube video. funny thing too was I had in my head to end the title with a question mark but never put it there.

Thanks for pointing out the sources of omega 3.. I'm glad I saw this post because I know I don't get enough of those and after seeing that I looked up some vegan food sources like walnuts and will add in some...

I wouldn't say anyone who takes a supplement is lazy though.... Ideally, you would want to get your nutrients completely from food, however not everyone's diet is perfect, so not everyone gets 100% of everything they need every single day.. I think the problem arises when you eat a junk food diet and then take a vitamin thinking that makes your diet okay.... and what about for new vegans who are just learning about nutrition, everyone has to start somewhere.. i could definately think of worse things dietwise than taking a vitamin.. and what about whole food supplements or greens drinks, those are good and aren't "synthetic" vitamins.

In the case of B12 there's really no choice because if a person ends up deficient, there's no other way to fix it than take b12. Or in the case of anemia, if a doctor prescribes iron supplements I think it would be a bad idea to not take those, at least to get your blood back to normal and then try to eat good sources of iron from that point on. One thing I definitely don't like is when I see info that says people need massive amounts of this and mega amounts of that, like as in way more than what you would get in nature.

andybuildz

Quote snowflower View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the sources of omega 3.. I'm glad I saw this post because I know I don't get enough of those and after seeing that I looked up some vegan food sources like walnuts and will add in some...

I wouldn't say anyone who takes a supplement is lazy though....
    I never said that...I said that I thought "more times than not" people are lazy....not always.

If you look at my first post I left a link where you can buy hemp seeds at a real good price. Great quality too! There's an amazing source of all kinda goodies in those seeds. Google, "hemp seeds" and see for yourself.
    I agree toptally that you need to start somewhere...I did. I didn't start right off the bat vegan or for that matter balancing my foods correctly but I really put the pedal to the metal and read everything I could get my hands on as well as joining different forums to see what others had to say.
    "For me"..the single best source that put me on the right track was studying all that I could about macrobiotics. I probably bought a dozen or more books from top macro authors as well such as George Ohswa's, You are all Sanpaku. Here's a copy at a good price http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Sanpak.../dp/0806507284 I recognize that some of these books and info may be dated so I take what makes sense to me and just think about the rest and maybe leave parts behind. I don't take everything I hear as gospel. I do have my own mind. Another very good book for beginners in MB's is "The hip chicks guide to macrobiotics" http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Chicks-Gui.../dp/1583332057 and you don't need to be a chick to love this book like I do.

For me MB's helped me more than anything to understand the natural flow in keeping my body in tune using food as a tool surrounding a specific lifestyle. This lifestyle in MB';s is something you can pretty much cater to "your" needs. There's many levels in MB's..there's even room for meat eaters. ..which is nice b/c that allows everyone in the door..and once youre in...it just starts making sense to you the things you should be doing and shouldn't.
    May not be for you but it sure worked for me!!
    Good luck and stay well
    Namaste'
    andy
    PS...I copied the hemp seed source I use link for you... http://www.ratical.com/renewables/hempseed1.html

and a little blurb b/4 you Google for yourself.... http://www.ratical.com/renewables/hempseed1.html
    Last edited by andybuildz; Feb 20th, 2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: cuz I always wanted to be an editor : )

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    I agree it's good news, but perhaps we could get the thread heading changed, if he hasn't actually gone vegan yet? (also, he isn't technically the president of the world )
    I thought exactly the same thing harpy but when I post stuff like that, it's "Leedsveg is stirring again". So I didn't.

Leedsveg

me three
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

"Live dangerously" - that's my middle name. (Two middle names really.)