Thread: How do you do the 80-10-10 Diet?

Default How do you do the 80-10-10 Diet?

I am currently interested in going raw (or at least semi-raw) but I want to do it safely and a lot of people were recommending Dr. Doug Graham's 80-10-10 diet book.

I just want to know some of the basics and essentials on how to perform this diet so that I won't have to go out and buy the book.

Has anyone tried the diet, or at least know how it works? By the way, I went online to research it a little myself.

Thanks all!
    :

leedsveg

Default Re: How do you do the 80-10-10 Diet?

Sorry U but not heard of it so unable to help.

Leedsveg

right, yeah... you're here to mess around with me aren't you?

No Leedsveg is not - I hadn't heard of it until I googled it yesterday. I thought the site was interesting but the joining regulations were prohibitive. They insist that you add a photo to your profile and also that you don't join until you have read his book. Sounds like a scam to me - although I am sure there would be lots of peeps that would argue otherwise. Such a 'shame' as the concept is v interesting and the over strict rules means that the message isn't getting to where it so easily could. As an aside things that are well known in the states are not automatically well known in the rest of the world Urban.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Urban, I suspect lv was probably just answering your message because it didn't hadn't had an answer - that sometimes annoys people as well and even unhelpful answers increase the chance that someone who can help will respond because it "bumps" the thread to the top of the "new" list.

I hope you'll hear from someone who has the book, though as you already know there is a lot about it elsewhere online.

Oh dear... my apologies everyone! I never noticed that to be honest with you all. I apologize for sounding harsh earlier.

Eh? Harsh? Where? Don't be daft.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote vava View Post
    No Leedsveg is not - I hadn't heard of it until I googled it yesterday. I thought the site was interesting but the joining regulations were prohibitive. They insist that you add a photo to your profile and also that you don't join until you have read his book. Sounds like a scam to me - although I am sure there would be lots of peeps that would argue otherwise. Such a 'shame' as the concept is v interesting and the over strict rules means that the message isn't getting to where it so easily could. As an aside things that are well known in the states are not automatically well known in the rest of the world Urban.
    ooh that's a bit of a red flag, isn't it? I can sort of understand wanting people to have read the book since they probably don't want to deal with having to answer the same questions over and over again but the picture requirement is odd. Sounds rather cultish. I did skim through the book a while ago at the local library but, since I probably don't eat four pounds of raw fruit a week, let alone at one meal, I doubt I'd be a viable candidate for this type of eating plan. I could never be a fruititarian.

I've not read the book but have read and heard quite a lot about it.
    From what I've gathered the idea is to eat at least 80% of your calories from carbohydrates, and up to 10% protein and 10% fat. Its a raw diet but i think in the book it advises to get these ratios on cooked food first then gradually transition into eating mostly sweet fruit, veges and plenty of greens, with a small amount of nuts/seeds/avocado for fats. I think they only use fats right from the plant, not oils.
    I think they really really emphasise making sure you get plenty of calories so you get enough of everything and also to do lots of exercise. Its crazy the amount of fruit people on the diet seem to eat though - 30+ bananas in a day or more.
    People who are actually on the diet seem to rave about it..I can imagine you would feel quite good eating this way but I think it would be a very empty hyperactive sort of energy from all the simple carbohydrates, I can't imagine it would make you feel at all grounded or peaceful.
    Anyway I think its mainly aimed at athletic/very active types, also I think all that fruit would make you quite yin and spacey and also could lead to blood sugar problems. To me it does not sound like a balanced diet for the body mind and spirit.
    But if you're wanting to try it, the general idea is eat all your calories in fruit, get plenty of greens in and a little bit of avocado and seeds and do lots of exercise.
    Hope that helps.

I'd be very wary of any diet that suggests their method is the way people "should" eat. People need different diets, you can't generalise a diet for everyone with a simple ratio.