Thread: Favorite vegan dessert

Default Favorite vegan dessert

What's your favorite vegan dessert?
    Mine is (currently) apples baked with cinnamon and chopped almonds + Oatly vanilla sauce.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Favorite vegan dessert

That sounds good - haven't seen the vanilla sauce here but will keep eyes peeled.

We usually just eat fresh fruit for dessert but I'm partial to rhubarb and the plants I put in the garden have already started sprouting, so I'm looking forward to having some of that with soy custard. I just bake the rhubarb in the oven with a squeeze of orange juice, but no sugar as the custard is quite sweet.

Bananas and cold set custard.

Trifle.

Cold set custard rules.

eta - OK, am going to admit this. We were once so desperate for trifle, I made one using wheat biscuits (Weetabix) for the sponge base. Not bad, but I found out that you do have to add extra sugar and it turns out to be more of a wheaty jelly base.
    Last edited by pusskins; Feb 25th, 2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: trifle exploit
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

harpy - my rhubarb is srouting too! When do you normally start picking? I wasn't sure if picking them too young would be detrimental to the plant?

I can't say I have one particular favourite, I'm partial to most desserts. I am fond of fruit sorbets, particularly wild strawberry or raspberry. Pair a scoop of that with some vanilla Swedish Glace and some hot chocolate sauce and I'm pretty happy.

I imagine a wheatabix based trifle would be pretty good, actually. I do like a fresh raspberry trifle with homemade vanilla sponge, topped with custard and slivered almonds.

Better stop. I've just now got a parade of puddings marching through my head!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hmmm ..

Not a big dessert eater me, but!

Swedish Glace Vanilla Ice Cream with fresh berries (blueberries!) is my idea of something sweet and nice
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Probably just a bit of dark single origin chocolate, I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to chocolate.

Also, ice cream, at the moment I'm very much into maple ice cream, they sell it in the supermarket just around the corner, just a bit too easy to buy for me..

Rocket Queen

Coffee-a glass of wine and a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

im getting jealous hearing people mention ice cream!

The only things i really know how to whip up without a processor or oven are Peach crumble and soy YoGo/snackpack
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

Quote Festered View Post
    This. Ultimately with a shot or two of whiskey thrown into the coffee for good 'measure'.

Don't think I have ever turned my nose up at a Swedish Glace offering either. With some sort of fruit and crushed biscuit to boot......all the better.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote twinkle View Post
    When do you normally start picking? I wasn't sure if picking them too young would be detrimental to the plant?
    Good question - I didn't pick mine at all last year because you're not meant to in the first year they say, although the plants were pretty vigorous. I think you're meant to be careful in the second year as well. I have looked on the web and there is various advice e.g. http://www.ehow.com/how_4550149_when...k-rhubarb.html

I think I'll go ahead and pick some of mine once the plants have a reasonable number of stalks and leaves - i assume the main thing is not to pick the whole lot at once so that they can't photosynthesise. I might give them some compost as well to encourage them. My homemade compost is a bit repulsive though

My favourite dessert would have to be Worthenshaw's Freedom (as seen on Dragon's Den) as it tastes just like mini-milks, the packaging is recyclable and it can be easily picked up from my local supermarket. My pet omni also enjoys it and will happily eat my carton if I leave it in the freezer for too long (beats having to include ice cream on the shopping list).

http://www.worthenshaws-freedom.co.uk/

I do sometimes crave fruit but I have allergies so none of that for me =[

RubyDuby

Quote Festered View Post
    this is most often my dessert, sans coffee, but as far as my favorite that would have to be milkshakes! and there's a non-restaurant here that does mostly all vegan desserts and they are all delicious! I've had chai cheesecake, banana cake, ginger bread cake with candied ginger, chocolate mousse with cocoa nibs and fresh strawberries. I couldn't pick a favorite!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote pusskins View Post
    Trifle.

I *love* trifle, but only allow myself to eat it at Christmas. Mmmmmmmmm trifle. I also live cheesecake and I'm desperate to make a white chocolate one once Lent is over. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    this is most often my dessert, sans coffee, but as far as my favorite that would have to be milkshakes! and there's a non-restaurant here that does mostly all vegan desserts and they are all delicious! I've had chai cheesecake, banana cake, ginger bread cake with candied ginger, chocolate mousse with cocoa nibs and fresh strawberries. I couldn't pick a favorite!
    Where are you in Upstate New York? I'm from Syracuse, and I'm going to kick myself if they have a vegan cafe I never knew about!

RubyDuby

They do! It's only been open a few years though. Strong Hearts Cafe is one of my favorites!
    Unfortunately I'm an hour and a half away, in Rochester. The Owl House makes those desserts.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

The chocolate torte in Rose Ellliots Vegan Feasts is fantastic especially with soya whippy cream and some of the vegan white chocolate grated over the top. Also wonderful is a baked tofu cheesecake served with soya whippy cream, raspberry coulis and alpro cream and a partly sliced open strawberry on the side, sometimes I even sprinkle a little bit of icing sugar over the top. Then there is cranberry muffins which I adapted from the Leicestershire Veggie site online (their blueberry muffin recipe) but I substituted cranberries and sprinkled a bit of brown sugar over the top and serve with vanilla swedish glace. Date flapjacks with a layer of vegan chocolate served with soya whippy cream. The chocolate mousse topping in the Vegan cupcakes take over world book is lovely as individual chocolate mousses. Trifle topped with soya whippy cream and hundreds and thousands! and the pancake mix from Vegan with A Vengeance is lovely with tinned peaches, soya whippy cream and maple syrup. I make too many puddings - thank goodness its Lent!

Give me some good chocolate chip cookies with a cup of black tea and I am happy. Also like any cake or cupcake with LOTS of frosting. I love cheesecakes but for some reason only make them at the holidays. That needs to change.

200g Frozen bananas
    300-400g Ice cubes
    30g Pea/rice protein powder
    150-200g Water
    6g Ground cinnamon
    About 1 grain of rice worth of Stevia

Add to high speed blender and blend until smooth.

It's not quite ice cream, but close enough for me.

a vegan chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting and soya cream

(i like chocolate a LOT.)

or stewed apples for something simple and healthier.

failing that an alpro soya yogurt (preferably raspberry) and some dark chocolate. raspberries+chocolate is an awesome combination.

A ripe, juicy persimmon!

Alpro yogurt (vanilla!) and vegan dark chocolate also rock.

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote veganosie View Post
    (i like chocolate a LOT.)
    I'm with you on that one. The local vegan restaurant in the city where I currently reside sells these chocolate cupcakes that are sooooo good. The only downside is that they use vegetable shortening in their frosting. I thrive on the low-fat vegan diet so these are occasional little treats.

My favorite dessert is a mint chocolate mocha frapp I prepare at home using my magic bullet.

1 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    1 tsp coffee (instant)
    lots of ice
    unsweetened almond milk (35 cals for a cup)
    unsweetened vegan chocolate chips
    candy cane crumbles
    stevia (to taste)

Sinfully chocolatey deliciousness in under 100 cals!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

ooooh yum! i had a soy mocha for the first time today from starbucks and it was sooo sweet and chocolatey that it satisfied my sweet tooth for about four hours! unheard of. i wish i could have one for dessert every day but i'm too lazy to make my own, plus i don't own the chocolate syrup they use.

My absolute favourite has to be the healthiest, I peel and freeze over-ripe bananas, then when I 'need' a sugar fix, I swizz them in the blender until smooth (may need a few drops of liquid- water is fine, but I'm sure a milk substitute would work)... It is like soft ice-cream, or pop it back in the freezer for a firmer consistency... I'm sure cocoa powder, vanilla, berries etc would make nice variations, but it is more that satisfactory with just one ingredient (make sure the bananas are really ripe - turning brown!), for variety and crunch, sprinkle with pecans/other nuts/crushed vegan ginger biscuits/grated chocolate etc etc according to what you fancy.

I also make vegan cupcakes/celebration cakes (cupcakes are easier to get the texture right) for family and friends (even had a few comissions, but didn't enjoy the -self inflicted- pressure for perfection!).

As a former chocoholic, I do love a bit of dark chocolate, and am extremely pleased at how easy it is to pace myself, and put the rest of the bar back in the cupboard after a couple of pieces (something I could never do with cadbury's dairy milk)! The alpro soya 'yogurts' with cultures - plain and fruit are very nice, as are the alpro soya deserts (vanilla!), I'm planning on making a vegan apple crumble and custard for my omnivorous husband to stop him from feeling 'deprived', and 'milk' shakes for my kids.

ooh i also like a good christmas pudding although it is VERY dense and calorific. also anything with custard - fruit crumble, baked apples, sponge cake etc etc. although i rarely have things like this i do like to dream about them.

Quote JaneSky View Post
    I peel and freeze over-ripe bananas, then when I 'need' a sugar fix, I swizz them in the blender until smooth (may need a few drops of liquid- water is fine, but I'm sure a milk substitute would work)... It is like soft ice-cream..
    I do that too! I like to add cocoa powder, raspberries or blueberries, and I use Alpro vanilla milk to get it to blend smoothly.

There are so many desserts, it's hard to choose a favourite!

- Swedish glace ice cream
    - Lemon sorbet
    - Alpro vanilla pots (on their own or with choc spread, specloos, nuts, frozen fruit and/or crushed-up biscuits)
    - Tofu mousse
    - Frozen banana ice cream
    - White chocolate buttons
    - Apple crumble (heated or not, with alpro vanilla pot)
    - Biscuits and tea/coffee
    - Dark chocolate squares
    - Glass of Alpro vanilla milk
    - Milkshakes (peanut butter, specloos or fruit)

Alpro Soya Dessert, one a day from a four-pack; though to be pedantic any piece of fruit could count as a vegan dessert.

Chocolate chip bread pudding.

Right now, chocolate chia seed pudding.

Pretty much anything to do with chocolate is my favourite kind of dessert, except I don't like chocolate with fruit and nuts, just give me chocolate!

Aside from chocolate, I am partial to banana cake, cookies, cake (especially chocolate) and vegan cheesecakes. And muffins. Love muffins.

I am quite fond of Christmas Pudding or trifle, but I think my favourite is probably cake. Any kind of cake.

Oooh! I just thought of another favourite dessert! Rice pudding! I forgot how much I liked it until my mum made some tonight
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

I love dark chocolate, especially right after it's been heated, but in any form. Chocolate cake sounds good right now as does dark chocolate pudding. I also like banana bread and sugar cookies too.

I have another! Armenian nutmeg slice! Made it today so my mum had something to take out to her nieces' hens night. It's been a while since I've had it, and it's very easy to make and tastes great, despite what my sister says about it now being 'veganised.'

lyndabay06

Mine is vegan frozen yogurt! the best!

oh my god, the strawberry cheesecake you can buy in the freezer at H&B, can't remember the make....but it's sooooo moreish!!

and chocolate brownies, recipe from Another Dinner is Possible, made them last week, ate far too many! oops....

x

hedgehoglovely

^ i find the brownies from another dinner is possible way too sugary! i'm not a big chocolate lover (gives me a headache) but made them for my friends birthday and even she complained that eating one put her into a state of 'sugar coma'... if i ever made them again i'd put half the amount of sugar or even less.
    Last edited by hedgehoglovely; Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quote hedgehoglovely View Post
    ^ i find the brownies from another dinner is possible way too sugary! i'm not a big chocolate lover (gives me a headache) but made them for my friends birthday and even she complained that eating one put her into a state of 'sugar coma'... if i ever made them again i'd put half the amount of sugar or even less.
    hi, yes I had the same issue with the sugar! I put in less than what is says.

hedgehoglovely

^ thanks will do next time. That cookbook does so many lovely (but very sugary) deserts. I made the berry marble cake from it yesterday which was very nice but I kinda failed with the marble effect!

As tradition at my place of work we are supposed to bring a treat on our birthday. Well, mine is next week and I am trying to decide what to make. I was thinking of either a lemon yogurt bundt cake or the vanilla bean chocolate ganache cupcake recipe (both from Isa Chandra Moskowitz). Nothing too fancy as I am limited on time with school studies. Has anyone tried a version of these two? Any other ideas are welcome too, any recipe you have made and were very successful with. I better get looking through this thread too!

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! The both of those sound wonderful! I would totally help you bake them if I lived anywhere remotely near you! Argh! Never personally tried to make those two cakes, but if you're short on time, you could take something small, like these cookies. I've baked them probably more than twenty times and I've always been successful with them, even when I've made them gluten free for my sister and mum.

When I want to bake something chocolatey, I often just buy a vegan cake mix from my supermarket who are surprisingly good with selling vegan/veggie/allergy free foods.

MoonDance, the cookie recipe looks pretty good. I will have to keep that one in mind!

lyndabay06

My favorite dessert is Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts! It really makes my mouth water... a lot!