Thread: Vegan Health Study

Lightbulb Vegan Health Study

Would you be interested in participating in a Health Study about Vegans? You can find out more at this link.

Interesting, but I'm still shocked that that no true vegan organization, or PETA, PCRM / other institution is doing a similar thing that is free. This one costs $675...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I found that unusual. They do give you the option to only take the questionnaire which means you don’t have to pay however that is really not an accurate way to do research since people might not be truthful about their eating habits. When I worked in Family Medicine (research HPV/Colposcopy research study) blood tests were mandatory and they also gave a questionnaire. If I decide to do it I will have the blood test. I did see that you could receive a tax write off if you opt for the test. I was surprised, as you, that Vegan organizations have not done this already. I decided to send a letter to a few Vegan organizations in regards to this. I imagine the funding could be costly however there could be options to raise the money to cover the blood tests.

I thought it was a bit odd you had to pay to be fully involved. All medical studies I've ever heard of are either free or pay the participants.

The results so far are fascinating, including the ability of vegans to get high blood cholesterol. A vegan friend recently had heart trouble which was a wake up call to remind us that a compassionate diet won't necessarily make one invulnerable to such things as stress, and it's impact on cardiovascular health. Happily she is doing very well but just taking it easy for the moment. I am sure though, that a vegan diet has made a world of difference as compared to the alternative.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Default Re: Vegan Health Study

There's a clinical summary of the study here:
    http://www.veganhealthstudy.org/ClinicalSummary.html

I suspect that the average health conditions for most are better than the results for those who participated in this study. Since they were willing to pay $675 for participating, there's a great chance that they felt a strong need for having their health status examined. Most people who feel that nothing is wrong with their health are probably not willing to pay that much for participating in such a program.

It seems that participating in the study now finally is free, because the article ends with "Tax-deductible contributions to support our research efforts are greatly appreciated." (If you know more about what the cost for participating in this project has been, and I'm wrong - please correct me! )

Default Vegan Health Study - by Dr. Michael Klaper

Thought this was interesting:

I was watching a news clip by Dr. Michael Klaper and he said that they are looking for thousands of vegans, vegetarians and omnivores to participate in a study to look at all the health aspects of lifestyle -- excerise, our food, our vitamins - but its mainly based on our diets.

Omnivores and vegetarians are going to be used as the control group while vegans will be the experimental group.

He also said that the people who participate in the survey will receive emails with tips on how to become healthier and what to add to our diets vegan diets.

Type into google: Vegan Health Study <-----------------its the first link
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 7th, 2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread