Thread: Vegan-to-fruitarian transition is easy

Default Vegan-to-fruitarian transition is easy

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm a fruitarian which they say is a subset of vegan so I hope I'm in the right place. I browsed the board for other threads about fruitarianism and there's quite a bit of info, but as it stands there don't seem to be a lot of long-term practicing fruities here. I don't profess to be any sort of grand poobah on the subject, but for what it's worth I've been a fruitarian for 7 years (with an occasional transgression if someone puts garlic or spices in the meal--I don't make a big deal over it anymore).

What I mainly wanted to say, if anyone is considering going fruity, is that the transition from vegan to fruitarian is pretty easy, much easier than the transition from vegetarian to vegan (I still occasionally crave cheese, but I don't miss onions). Something you can bear in mind is that you don't have to become a RAW fruitarian all at once. If your goal is simply to subsist on a diet that doesn't kill the plant, a bowl of steamed rice is fruitarian. Throw in some stir fried tofu, bell peppers, zucchini, acorn squash & olive oil, and you have a lovely meal that didn't kill any plants. (Yeah, I realize commercial harvesting often kills the plant anyway, but I'm just emphasizing the diet itself for now.)

Ideally, the fruitarian diet is raw and that's when you really start to feel the benefits, but there's no law that says fruitarians must always eat 100% raw (just as there is no law that says vegans must always eat 100% raw). Eventually I think you'll gravitate toward raw meals, but in a pinch you can always have a no-cheese pizza with sun dried tomatoes, olives & peppers. Pasta marinara, pasta faggiole, bean burritoes, fajitas ...these are all fruitarian meals if you exclude the garlic & onions. So you see, a [cooked] fruitarian meal aint a whole lot different from a vegan meal.

Oh, I also wanted to let you know that the fruitarian diet does NOT cause...
    -diarrhea
    -rotten teeth
    -muscle wasting
    -the plague
    -etc

At least I haven't been hit by any of those yet.

If anyone wants to chime in with their experiences, questions, concerns, etc, please do. I'd love to hear what others think about the whole thing, dietary aspects, philosophical aspects, etc. Cheers!

Default Re: Vegan-to-fruitarian transition is easy

Hi Spacey, welcome.

Wow, first time I have ever heard the fruitarian diet described as such.

Anyway, just thought that I'd chime in with why I think there aren't an awful lot of frutarians around these parts, or at least not a large number that have stuck around. Obviously being Vegan in the true sense of the word involves and element of ethics - so including non-testing, clothes etc. Whereas Fruitarian and sometimes raw can often be more about health.... So sometimes a conflict of interest at play

IMO obviously - so could be totally off-base!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Default Re: Vegan-to-fruitarian transition is easy

Hey Gwydion, thanks for the welcome!

You're totally ON base. I've joined a few fruitarian forums and noticed that their primary goal is generally health, so discussions usually center around exercise, diet & spiritual discipline which are all great, but I'm in it for the ethics foremost. That's why I like vegans communities which seem to be driven by compassion, philosophy and complex issues of morality. Not to offend any lurking fruities out there, but I like hanging out with vegans a lot more

This raises the 2nd issue which totally goes against my original statement that "vegan-to-fruitarian transition is easy"... if you take fruitarianism as a way of life, i.e. stop using all plant products, that's where it gets really difficult. I tell myself that cotton is ok since it surrounds the fruit of the cotton plant (yeah that's a stretch) so clothes aren't a big issue. But it's really hard to get through life avoiding wood & paper. But as with everything, nobody's going to get it right immediately. I think the idea of a fruitarian lifestyle ("frugan"? lol) is more of an effort to reduce consumption of plants rather than eliminate them 100%. But you never know, maybe someone can figure it out.