Thread: Can certain medications cause allergies?

Default Can certain medications cause allergies?

This year I have developed allergies to chamomile, nuts and a severe caffiene intolerance. I realised that I was taking a very strong (and nasty) drug when these things started happening. Does anyone know if there may be a correlation?

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, drugs can definitely have nasty side-effects and cause general sensitivity, Banana.
    I can't take Aspirin because it causes my chest to tighten (not that I want to take it, luckily), and a couple of over-the-counter medicines give me really bad Hives.
    Why don't you research your medication on the net?

Anything can do anything.

Research your drugs on the net like PFC suggested. You might even find a discussion board dedicated to talking about the side-effects that never get mentioned by a doctor (I've found a few like that myself).

Something else to seriously watch out for, is taking herbs whilst on certain medications. They often cause problems, particularly, eg, st johns wort.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

I don't think Herbs *cause* problems, but there is often an intereaction with medicines, yes.
    Personally I always check everything out before it goes near my mouth!

Just been reading an article that quotes Dr Roses, vic-president of genetics at GSK (Glaxo), and he said at a conference that over 90 percent of all drugs work for only 30 to 50 percent of pateints. Cancer drugs work for only 25percent of patients. The most efficient are analgesics which work for up to 80 percent. Someone there said that what Roses says will surprise the public but not his colleages.

There's a book called 'Secrets of the Drugs Industry' that lifts the lid. The book is advertised at http://www.wddty.co.uk (wddty stands for 'what the doctors don't tell you).
    Eve

Just been reading an article that quotes Dr Roses, vic-president of genetics at GSK (Glaxo), and he said at a conference that over 90 percent of all drugs work for only 30 to 50 percent of pateints. Cancer drugs work for only 25 percent of patients. The most efficient are analgesics which work for up to 80 percent. Someone there said that what Roses says will surprise the public but not his colleagues.

There's a book called 'Secrets of the Drugs Industry' that lifts the lid. The book is advertised at http://www.wddty.co.uk (wddty stands for 'what the doctors don't tell you).
    Eve