Thread: Any vegans in Regina, Saskatchewan?

Question Any vegans in Regina, Saskatchewan?

Are there any vegans living in Regina on this message board? The Regina Vegetarian Society appears to be defunct. It gets kind of lonely not having any vegan friends.

Default Re: Any vegans in Regina, Saskatchewan?

Hey, another Canadian vegan Welcome to the forums. I'm a few hours west of you, having the same problem in my area

How far is Calgary from Bow Valley? My dad lives there, so I visit Calgary often.

About an hour I'm in Calgary almost once a week now. And have been meaning to go to Edmonton but still haven't gotten around to it

I'm from Regina!

I noticed that the Regina Vegetarian Society was all lame and inactive and was wondering how I could do something about it. It'd be great to be connected to an offline vegan community that extends beyond my boyfriend. :P

Hooray! Nice to meet you Allysia. I last heard from someone from the RVS almost a year ago saying that they were not defunct, that they would having events soon and asking if I would like to help. I said yes, of course but haven't heard anything back. :-(

I think it would nice to meet some fellow vegans (in person). Maybe have some potlucks or something.

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Nicole
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Mahatma Gandhi

Potlucks would be super sweet! I remember way back in the day when the Regina Vegetarian Society was still actually doing stuff, and my then-boyfriend would always go but I never got around to it! That was a good 4-5 years ago though. Myself and my (current) boyfriend aside, I really don't know any other vegans in the city (aside from you now!). I'm sure they exist...Do you have any vegan peeps in Regina? I could always drop the RVS a line too, not that I think that would make much of a difference. But maybe if people keep bugging them We could always try to gather a group ourselves as well!

Hi Allysia

No I don't have any vegan friends here. It's all I can do to get my friends to admit that eating vegan isn't bizzare. Have you ever seen Veggin Out on Access 7? It's a vegan cooking show made in Regina! I met one of the hosts once at a peta protest. They don't make the cooking show anymore but she also co-hosts the Regina Humane Society's pet catalogue show on Access 7 (she's the one with all the awesome tattoos). So that makes 4 of us. We could try contacting RVS again. I certainly don't mind helping out. Our own group would be fun to start too. Have you read any of Sarah Kramer's cookbooks? She's got fun vegan party idea like a clothing swamp party, dinner party, and my fav - a cocktail party! As it is, I would like to meet you. Do you have any St. Patty's days plans?
    Nicole
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Mahatma Gandhi

If you guys ever get a protest or something planned out, let me know. I've just been site seeing around Canada and wouldn't mind driving over to join in

That would be awesome BS, cause I'm thinking of organzing a protest the next summer when the Shrine Circus comes.
    Nicole

Quote mrsmozart View Post
    That would be awesome BS, cause I'm thinking of organzing a protest the next summer when the Shrine Circus comes.
    Count me in It's amazing how much time I have on my hands without a job. Pretty nice actually

Hey!

I'm from Regina and the lack of anything vegan is terrible! My husband and I are new vegans and were excited when we found the Regina Vegetarian Society then disapointed to see it is rather dead. Nice to know there are others out there, we had a guy at Taco Del Mar say to us "I've always wanted to meet a vegan! Do you have super powers...can you guys lift sh*t with your mind?" HA! Apparently it's a joke from a movie, but goes to show how few vegans are in Regina!

Peace and Love,

Nicole

That makes for two Nicoles, ha ha!

And that joke is from the Scott Pilgrim movie. I was actually kind of happy to see veganism referenced in a popular movie - that's how mainstream it's getting! But the vegan character was a big dummy, alas. I think it's hilarious that someone actually said that to you guys though!

Yay for new vegans! That's awesome you and your husband are both vegan. I was talking to another lady in town who is vegan and has a very omnivorous husband...I know some people can roll with it and I admire that, but I think I would struggle with it a lot!

Thirteenth ave coffee house has the best (and yummiest) selection for vegan food, and if you ask if something is vegan they actually know what you're talking about, which is nice. They make a vegan cookie and a vegan mousse! And Nature's Best (the health food store) makes vegan avocado sandwiches and soups. And smoothies and juice. And a lot of their desserts (cookies, brownies, etc) are vegan. Drool. Their hummus is unbelievably yummy, I don't know how they make it so good. And then there's the Green Spot too. Though Logan's not a fan because they use a lot of mushrooms in their cooking and he's very anti-mushroom. What a weirdo. :P But yeah. Regina's not great, but it's not completely hopeless at least. Too bad Beetroot closed (anyone remember that place?), it was all vegan and super yum. I'm pretty sure Regina is better than Saskatoon on the restaurant options, though I haven't the slightest idea as to why.

Anyway, nice to (kind of) meet you! It's good to know that there are more than just a few of us in the city

Hi Nicole

So nice to hear from you! I think Allysia gave you a very good low-down on Regina vegan places. Dad's and Old Fashioned Foods are also good health food stores for vegan stuff. So what made you and your husband decide to become vegans? For me, it was the animals. Allysia and I would like to get together a little vegan group. Interested? I was thinking pot-lucks and drinks and getting together with people who actually get veganism.
    Nicole

Thanks for the info on the restraunts and cafes guys! I'm pretty familiar with the health food stores but that's about it. We decided to go vegan because of the animals as well. I had always wanted to go vegetarian when I was younger but living at home on a farm if I didn't eat meat I wouldn't be eating at all! When I got married we talked about becoming vegetarians, and after doing research not eating meat but eating other animal products didn't make sense so we decided to go vegan. It's been three months now and we are loving it! I think it'd be fun to get together with some like minded people sometime! Let me know what you guys are thinking

Peace and Love,

Nicole

NoWheyJose!!!

There are other vegans here?!?!?! I'm only kidding, I know of three . . . I think? I can't believe I didn't see this post before!!!! This is fabulous!!! Sometimes it's tough finding veggie people in the prairie farmlands. There are still lots of great places to eat though, such as the locations that Allysia suggested (and Taco Del Mar too!). There is also Selam on Broad Street, Extreme Pita has some vegan friendly options ( http://www.veganeatingout.com/extreme-pita-e-mail) and Mongolie Grill on Quance.

=)

I love your screen name (no whey jose). I wish I was that clever. :P So who are you then? As in, what's your name and etc?

Yeah, I have quite a few vegan friends who live nowhere remotely close to us (as in other parts of the world), so it's always been just me and Logan. We're the weirdos. :P Man it's a treat when we visit those friends, though! The kitchen is a super happy place and there aren't any interrogation sessions. Love it.

Are the other three people you know your friends? Random acquaintances? Because due to the awesome power of the internet it looks like there's a wee little group of us now and I'm sure it would be easy enough to find other people as well. Who needs the RVS?

And I've never been to Taco Del Mar! But I definitely love Selam and I haven't been to Extreme Pita, but Pita Pit clearly mentions what's vegan on their menus which is nice. So does Wok Box!

I am also a vegan who lives in Regina! My name is Pam, and I've been a vegan since the beginning of December in 2009, but a strict vegetarian since around 1993-1994. I grew up on a farm, so for me it was because of the animals as well. I actually met Allysia on Happy Cow in the past month or so; she sent me a message. She also appraised me of the existence of this thread.

By the way, I ate at Wok Box a couple of weeks ago (in the North end), and it was awesome. I had the Sichuan Pepper sauce with rice, veggies, and tofu. I would definitely go back there. The vegan stuff isn't listed on their menu boards, but near the till there is a paper that shows which ones can be made vegan. I don't eat out very often, because of the cross-contamination issues. But I know that I'll be a better vegan if I help show that there's a demand for vegan food items on menus.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the vegan reference on Scott Pilgrim - got it on Blu-ray. The Vegan Police were great. I need to watch it again sometime.

I'd be interested in joining the little gang you're recruiting for, I guess. You all might need to be a bit patient with me though. I'm rather nerdy, bordering on geeky, and shy (until I get to know people). Besides work, I don't really get out much. I think the shyness might be a symptom of being considered a weirdo for the majority of my life, because of what I eat, or what I don't eat. It might actually be nice to feel normal with a group of people for awhile.

Anyways, gotta go make muffins.

Hello everyone!

It is so great to meet you Pam and NoWheyJose. I hope we can meet in person soon. I'm glad there's actually a few of us in Regina.
    Nicole

Hey everyone!

Not that this isn't a great place to chat but I know for myself anyways that facebook is a bit more convenient, I created the Facebook group Vegans of Regina this morning and currently there are only 3 members so search it on Facebook and join! It would be nice to put faces to names and make it a bit easier to arrange events and whatnot.

Peace and Love,

Nicole

Make sure to join Friends of Vegan! I'm hosting a potluck on May 14 for members! If you're not on facebook, private message me for info.
    Nicole

Jumping in a little late!
    Yes, vegan super powers indeed. I enjoy the Scott Pilgrim reference, too.
    Joined this forum to make myself known. My partner and I have been vegan for more than three years. I know one other vegan other than my partner, but she recently moved to Toronto. Boo.
    It would be awesome to perhaps attend a vegan potluck in the future.

Pam: we're both very shy and very geeky as well! You're not the only self-professed vegan geek. There's at least three of us!

Hi Nenni!

Welcome. If you are on facebook, you can join our group https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...204245009&ap=1
    Nicole

Hi Nenni!

Logan (my boyfriend) is half geeky, so that makes three and a half geeky people. He lost some nerd points over the last few years which is why he's only half. But he can still pwn at a few games, and he's a reservoir of random facts about animals and science. So he still maintains nerd status

One of these days we'll have to get together for another dinner date/potluck! Always nice to meet new people

Hi Nenni,

W00t for vegan nerds...welcome to the group.

I'm from Regina and am vegan! My spouse is too. I suppose my 8 month old son willl be as well. We started a little over a month ago, I started watching some documentaries and doing some research and fortunately actually managed to stop being ignorant to the way things are. Needless to say, I feel great! I do physical labour so was a little worried about not getting enough calories, but so far so good. Also for the first time in 5 years Beki (my spouse) actually cooks for me haha. Good to know there are a couple of you out there! LETS OPEN A RESTAURANT!

What are your Favorite foods?