Thread: World Vegan Network

Default World Vegan Network

www.vegansworldnetwork.org

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk...5932703&ref=ts

Today was the first time I ever heard of this "world vegan network", has anyone else heard of it? I see a couple of my Facebook friends are members.

The name sounds good but after reading the website it seems to me that it's in no way a "world network" but appears to just revolve around one person, Bill Westerman and his personal opinions. (The main page of the website says quite authoritatively "Vaccination Isn't Vegan!" and then goes on to encourage people to refuse vaccinations.)

leedsveg

Default Re: World Vegan Network

Never heard of it before so I'll have a good read. I would have thought that a world vegan organisation would have been best set-up by the national societies, including the Vegan Society UK, whose logo they use?

lv

What About "Riding" Animals?

The subject of 'riding' animals been discussed extensively, over the years, which culminated in the view by Vegan World Network that the riding of any animal - buffalo, bulls, camels, cows, dogs, donkeys, elephants, goats, horses, mules, oxen, pigs, ponies, sheep, or any other animal - is regarded as "exploitation" of the animal, and so would be excluded as a Vegan activity. Therefore, a person engaged in or directly supporting the riding of animals would not be regarded, under Donald Watson's definition, above, as a Vegan. Similarly, a person engaged in or directly supporting the use of animals in hauling, carrying or pulling a load - sled, carriage, etc. - would not be regarded as a Vegan.
    http://www.vegansworldnetwork.org/about.php

So there you have it, the WORLD vegan network says people who go horse riding aren't vegan and since 'they' represent vegans globally 'they' must be right.

Quote Risker View Post
    http://www.vegansworldnetwork.org/about.php

So there you have it, the WORLD vegan network says people who go horse riding aren't vegan and since 'they' represent vegans globally 'they' must be right.
    'Lo Risker

I cannot see how horse riding (etc) can possibly fall outside of any definition of animal exploitation that hasn't simply been 'bent' to exclude horse riding (etc) from it.

If riding an animal is an 'exploitation' (it is definitely NOT in the nature of any animal to be ridden?) of that animal then riding animals does fall outside of Donald Ducksons definition of veganism.

Same rule applies to Bill Westerman as applies to everyone (I would imagine?). That being that if he got everything single thing, bar one single thing, in his entire life wrong that maketh not the one single thing he ever got right in his life owt other than right, so far as I can see.

A strong argument may arise that under prevailing circumstances vaccinations may fall under the exclusion of 'as far as reasonable'.

There is no reason on the face of the Earth for riding a horse other that to bend a horses 'nature' for the sole purpose of a totally unnecessary human 'pleasure'.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Cupid - My issue isn't with his opinions, it's that he's not portraying them as his own opinion but as official statements from a "world vegan network".

leedsveg

I've now read about the World Vegan Network and I'm not impressed.

lv

Quote Risker View Post
    Cupid - My issue isn't with his opinions, it's that he's not portraying them as his own opinion but as official statements from a "world vegan network".
    'Lo Risker

Do you not agree with him, that that should be a 'world wide' vegan view, then?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Like I said, that's not the point.