View Poll Results: How old were you when you became a vegan/vegetarian?

Voters
616. You may not vote on this poll
  • 13 years old or less (or raised veg*n)

90 14.61%
  • 14-17

173 28.08%
  • 18-23

205 33.28%
  • 24-31

85 13.80%
  • 32-40

40 6.49%
  • 41-50

19 3.08%
  • 51-60

4 0.65%
  • 61-70

0 0%
  • 71+

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How Old Were You....

Default Re: How Old Were You....

I chose '13 years or less', because the question asks when I became vegan/vegetarian. I made the step to (lacto-ovo) vegetarianism when I was 7, and became a vegan in June of this year.

I went veggie when I turned 15. I'm now 16 and vegan. I havn't been vegan long (just over 2 weeks I think) and my parents don't know yet, although they will find out tonight/tomorrow morning when they get back from their holiday (man they are going to love that . They didn't understand my vegetarianism (or my sisters thinking about it), there is no way they are not going to have a clue about veganism and why I have chosen it ) .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

On the Coast

I went veggie just before my 16th, then went Vegan at 20. Now I'm 31 and have never looked back, and have only dated one non Vegan in the last ten years (she was a veg - big mistake).................

I became vegetarian at 15 and I was a vegan from age 19-20 I wasnt ready for that kind of commitment yet.. Then I just recently became vegan again a few months ago and totally ready and I feel better than ever!

I went vegetarian in 2004 time so would have been...15 odd. Then I was around 16 went I went vegan...it was April/May time in 2005.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

What's crazy is that it seems most people become vegetarians pretty young in their life.

It'd be an interesting topic to study.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

Pilaf

I was 20..I'm 21 now. I went straight from Omni to Vegan. Well...since I haven't FULLY changed over my entire old wardrobe to animal free (shoes especially) I can't say I'm 100% Vegan yet, but my heart is in the right place and I'm taking small steps toward true Veganism.

sugarmouse

11 when i became vegetarian.i first went vegan at 16 but (and i am a little ashamed) didnt stick to it for varying reasons including a mixture of recovering from anorexia ( not an excuse i know but i was undereducated and daft) and also sheer laziness.

i became one again when i went to uni, and now dont eat any animal products.i stil own a few leather things.and i wear sharks teeth( that i found) around my neck, and have nature symbols (shells etc ) whichmay be classed as animal products, in my house and i use them when i am practising.this may mean i am technically not vegan.but i do my best and i live my life in a way that is guilt free, to me.
    i never kill anything ( obviously we all kill soem insects unknowingly though)

i see life as valuble no matter in what form ..i feel very spirituall close to nature and to animals..this faith is what keeps me happy.i may be less of a vegan than some of you lot..i think i get closer to being purer al the time..

i am afraid though..mooncups will not be part of my life from now on! dnt know if u saw my post!

Gave up red meat at 13, chicken and fish and leather at 15 and became vegan at 21. I am now 36. My mum was supportive (meat eating tho) but wouldn't let me go 'all the way' to vego at 13. I hadn't really heard of vegans until I was 21 and it made sense straight away. The whole family have accepted even veganism now. I have a completely vegan 3 year old child who's father is also vegan.

Quote avocado
    I have a completely vegan 3 year old child who's father is also vegan.
    Cool! You should post what your child eats in the What did your vegan child eat today? thread. I love reading what vegan children eat.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Went veggie at 9 years old then vegan at 17 years.

Vegetarian at 14 (nearly 15), lapsed when I was 17 (I'm not proud of it....), came to my senses again at 20 where I became vegetarian again, tried being vegan at this point too, but only lasted 3 weeks! Gave up eating eggs and things with eggs in when I turned 22. Decided on January 3rd 2003 that it was time to go vegan. Went vegan at age 26 (nearly 27).

Went vegetarian at 14. Went vegan just after my 21st birthday- Best prezzie I could have given myself!!!

First went veggie at 18. Relapsed then back to veggie last October. I went vegan 3 weeks ago at age 22.

I first became vegetarian 2 years ago then developed anorexia so I started eating meat again. Then last year I became vegan! Best decision ever. I no longer feel bad when I eat. Animals are so important to me.
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

I've had a vegan diet since I was 19, although I'm conflicted in saying that since I ate soy yoghurt that had its culture raised on a dairy protein base. I cut the yoghurt out last year finally (it kept being in the fridge and I kept eating it) so perhaps my vegan diet really began at 20?

I also began to swap all my makeup, haircare and skincare products over to vegan at 19/20. I also stopped buying wool, leather etc.

The only anomaly in this is when I buy sports shoes for running. I have problem feet and I have to be fitted well because of this. I never buy Nike anymore and I ask for the most synthetic shoe, but sometimes that isn't the case. I'm not going to get worked up about this because it's only one thing and other shoes I plan on buying vegan when I'm going to need them. So this probably makes me a strict vegetarian rather than vegan.

I've started to see the big picture on other things, I know I do not want to support sweatshops so I'm going to have to try to find another place to buy tracksuit pants (is there anything not run by a corporation though?) and I don't go and buy clothes constantly as someone my age does. I know that we overuse resources and material esp. plastics cannot break down fast enough in the environment. This also conflicts me as while it is not fair to make an animal suffer, it also sucks that I'm buying something less 'natural' and not aiding the planet in digesting our waste.

i was about 11/12 when i became veggie..16 i became vegan

when i 7 we went on a school trip to the local farm and I remember being shocked at how the animals were kept so i came back and said to my parents Im not going to eat meat, i didnt eat meat for about 4years then my doctor forced meat on me . But I became vegan at 18...too long I know. All the time i did eat meat i felt guilty over it though, i hate my parents for forcing it on me and my doctor even more...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men"

ph63228

bought up vegan by my parents, been 17 long years now and i have two lil brothers and a sis fully vegan as well

veggie at 9 much to parents horror then vegan at 20, causing them even more horrors.... am 28 now. And new here by the way, this is my first post

greenworlds

vegetarian 21,vegan 28.,
    It's never to early or ever too late!

Vegetarian 17
    Vegan 33

went straight from omni to vegan when i was 21.

i was half way through a bacon, sausage and egg sarnie from a roadside cafe. made the decesion halfway through chucked the rest away and never looked back.

i went vegetarian at 12, more or less, and vegan last year. i still sometimes slip up, though
    Piggy

tabitha

I was vegetarian at 40 and then went vegan at 42.

feral

Vegetarian at 12/13 much to the dismay of my farming family.
    Vegan at 34, much to the dismay of my vegetarian mum who's worried about my calcium intake lol.

Quote feral
    Vegetarian at 12/13 much to the dismay of my farming family.
    Vegan at 34, much to the dismay of my vegetarian mum who's worried about my calcium intake lol.
    Hi feral

Eat plenty of dark green vegetables....Kale, spinach, brocolli....tofu, almonds, fresh figs, seeds.......and you'll never have to worry about your calcium intake

love
    stef

feral

Thanks stef, luckly I do lurve me dark green veg etc.

saucyvegan

Oh I thort this was going to be a rude thread!!!!

Erm ive been veggie for 20 years and vegan for 18 months only im afraid....but I got there in the end!

Became a vegetarian at 14 and vegan at 21.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I was never a vegetarian. I went vegan at age 30 during the lunar new year last year.

veggiesosage

Quote saucyvegan
    Oh I thort this was going to be a rude thread!!!!
    You've got a one track mind woman

saucyvegan

Quote veggiesosage
    You've got a one track mind woman
    Choo choo!!

I thought it was gonna be a naughty thread too. I'm sure I had a disappointed look on my face when seeing what it really was.

Talking Re: How Old Were You....

i do have to say that i was also thinking this.... errrr..... ummmm...

one track mind for sure... especially with some vodka in my veins...

wheres that damned drunk thread when you need it??!?!?

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Pescaterian from birth.
    Gave up fish when I was about 11.
    Vegan at 15.

Yst

I went vegetarian for about two weeks at the age of 19 before going vegan subsequently. I guess it didn't take me long to lose faith in the idea that merely not eating meat was morally sufficent. Have been vegan for the somewhere over five years since.

I became vegetarian at the age of 9. I was and have always been very strict but i have only been vegan for just over a year. It took me that long to realise i was vegetarian and the next logical step was to become vegan. After all, vegetarians are just vegans in waiting!

Mostly vegetarian since I was 14 or so. I decided to make the transition to vegan about half a year ago (shortly before turning 22).
    Om Shanti
    I've got a blog (wait, now I've got another blog)

I volentarily stopped eating meat at age 9, when I really made the connection that it was a dead animal.
    I never liked it anyway. I hated the taste and texture but my mom made me eat it. Then eventually she just gave up trying, I guess.
    From 9 to 15 I was basically meatless with the exception of shrimp or tuna a couple times a year, and at 15 I decided to become 100% vegan.
    I'm now almost 17 and have been going strong since.

I just made the transition to vegan and I am 27.

I went vegetarian at 13, shortly after we bought chicken patties which turned out to be veal. I tried to go lacto-only at 15 or so. My concerned parents had me read up on vegetarianism and I read about how chickens are debeaked. My mom put me down for it in the middle of Giant and I cried. I guess I forgot about it after that because I don't remember having any qualms about eating eggs or anything later Oh shoot, actually I ate clams until my ex-boyfriend told me that they would escape predators; I was somwhere between 16-18. I became vegan at 18 after reading Susan Powter's "Food". Fruitarian at 19 in delight that I would not have to kill ANYTHING. Raw foodsish, then anorexic at 20. I moved back in with my dad, and at my depleted state made the decision to go back to omni. I actually thought it through and remembered that I never felt well and maybe I should eat meat. I occasionaly couldn't eat stuff with bones in it but for the most part I was happy to be part of the crowd. After 3 years of that I still didn't feel well. I thought about going on a diet one day and figured I should eat a veg diet. I was afraid because I associated that with my anorexia. Then one day my fiance and I were eating some farm fresh eggs and one had a "rooster's mark" on it. I felt so bad for that little chick who never got to live. I decided to give it a try and have been vegan since last August.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I went vegetarian by myself when I was 9, lapsed for a year when I was 12, then became vegetarian again. Am now vegan (aged 16).
    You say animal rights extremist like it's a bad thing.

I decided to be a vegeterian when I was 6, but my carnibore parents were against it and since a 6 year old doesn't really cook for herself I just avoided whatever I knew was meat. They didn't tell me Tuna was a fish =/ so by the time I was 8, 9 I was completely vegeterian.
    I am 16 now, and recently decided to go vegan. it's been 38 days
    "I think, therefore I'm vegan"

Vegan at 38. It's never too late to change.

PygmyGoat

Is that a new word in Kalia's post - 'Carni-bore' ?? . I like it! .

officially went vegan on my 21st birthday, which was, well, last monday.

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    Is that a new word in Kalia's post - 'Carni-bore' ?? . I like it! .
    lol it's not a new word
    carnibore = meat eaters
    I use this word all the time
    "I think, therefore I'm vegan"

went vegan at 15 but went veggie at 10