View Poll Results: How old were you when you became a vegan/vegetarian?

Voters
616. You may not vote on this poll
  • 13 years old or less (or raised veg*n)

90 14.61%
  • 14-17

173 28.08%
  • 18-23

205 33.28%
  • 24-31

85 13.80%
  • 32-40

40 6.49%
  • 41-50

19 3.08%
  • 51-60

4 0.65%
  • 61-70

0 0%
  • 71+

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How Old Were You....

Default Re: How Old Were You....

I remember as a child I would absolutely refuse to eat meat on the bone. It wasn't an conscious, intellectual thing, I just couldn't bring myself to do it - it was so disgusting. My mum said that when I was about 7, I picked up a chicken leg off my plate, saying "You mean this is the leg of a dead chicken!?". She's veggie now, and says she'd have let me go veggie then if she'd known better!

I still happily chomped down meat that didn't bear too much of a resemblence to an animal's corpse until around my 17th birthday. I decided to become a Buddhist around that time, which made me think about vegetarianism - and when I started thinking about it, well...

Just before my 19th birthday, I read "Animal Liberation" and was vegan within about 3 weeks. That was nearly 6 years ago, and there's no going back for me (I honestly can't understand how people can "lapse" - I don't mean that critically, I just can't get my head round it...)

Yes, I don't get the 'lapse' thing either!

i think i was about 19, or 20 years old at the time meat made me feel sick so i stopped eating it and i went lacto oval vegetarian, after a year or so i went vegetarian and after 15 years roughly i went vegan ,then i went fruitarian 100% raw food april 3rd 2005

I went vegetarian at 10/11, my parents were not happy about it, it took me a year to convince them it's what I really wanted. Over a year ago I started looking into Veganism (until then I thought Vegans were crazy for not eating cheese ) and six months ago I officially went vegan. It feels like a lot longer though.
    "Everybody has a heart. Except some people." -Bette Davis

I became Vegetarian when I was 16 then, after many false starts, finally became Vegan when I was 23.
    Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends. George Bernard Shaw

Hi all! I became a vegetarian when I was 12 once I realised what meat actually was!! (I saw lamb brains on a supermarket shelf) After almost 9 years of that, I decided to explore veganism as it came up alot on vege sites and the amount of further exploitation of animals such as cows for dairy products was shocking! I immediately became vegan then when i was 20.

PS: NONE of my family/friends are/were vegan/vegetarian (there's alot of slashes there...sorry). My family were against it from the word 'go', and so far my efforts to convert any member of my family have been fruitless - WHY DON'T PEOPLE CARE?? It boggles my mind...
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

I was 12 when I first decided to become veggie. It was actually my Dad who influenced me in that direction, despite him being a big meat eater back then. He was very honest with me about what meat was and where it came from when I started to question it. I think my family initially thought it was just a phase But I'm still here, over 10 years on and now a vegan (for about 4 years I think)!
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

I went veggie at around 13/14 years old,then made the logical progression to Vegan 6years ago! I can honestly say it's the best thing I ever did, i only wish I'd done it sooner, but hey, 6years and counting and I couldn't be happier! (Well okay, I'd be happier if all animal cruelty was eradicated such that there was no longer even any need for the word vegan, but until then...)

VeganLiz

Veggie at 15 then vegan at 20 years.

Liz X

I went vegan at the age of 18, when my parents weren't legally allowed to control what I ate. I was vegetarian about 4 years before that, but even BEFORE that I have never been able to eat meat without someone forcing me to. My parents just brushed it off as being a whiney, picky kid, and I think they still do that.

I turned vegetarian at 6 years old. Everyone said it was just a phase that I'd forget about, but I didn't. I simply came to the conclusion that if you love animals then you don't eat them. A few days after I turned vegetarian my mum made me some pre-made pasta thingy that had ham in it, but the pieces of ham were so tiny that my mum thought I wouldn't notice. However I did notice and became really upset, and so she's never done anything like that since.

I became vegan when I turned 16 after I picked up some "Go vegan" leaflets from a vegan stall in my local town. I never knew the cruelty of dairy until then, and once I did know I couldn't ignore my conscience.

It's so messed up that something I realised when I was only 6 years old, most people never realise in their entire lives.
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."

That is so right GreenEnvy, good on you for going veggie at 6, that's the age my little daughter became veggie too! Now her and my son are both vegan!

Veggy at 13, vegan at 16 I believe , 18 now

I was vegetarian at age 16 and vegan since age 17.

pavotrouge

I went fully vegetarian when I was 18, but vegan only three months later after years of being on- and off both trains.

Veggie at 38, vegan at 40.

I got extremely upset at seeing a dead pig hanging up in a butcher's window when I was a small child, but my parents were evasive about what it was doing there, so the connection with meat didn't burst upon me. My uneasiness at eating animals just grew gradually over the years. It took me an awfully long time to grow up.

Our whole family went vegan when I was 8. That lasted for 3 years. I went vegetarian when I was 15, fell off at 17, back at 20, vegan at 21.
    Super thrilling. I know. Actually, veganism *is* great.

Jjt

I tried to go vegetarian when I was in my teens but my dad's freind discouraged me and I went back to eating meat. I became vegan when I was living on my own I think right around the beginning of 20, so I've been vegan for about two years.

It's interesting because I used to have a bad attitude about vegans and looked down on them. One of my bosses was a vegan and wasn't as understanding as I would be now, but I still tried to assure my boss I cared about animals. Then one of my co-workers was vegan and I didn't have the best attitude toward that person about veganism either.

I don't remember how the revelation came about, but it involved reading that book called "mad cowboy". It was about this guy who used to be a cattle rancher but now he's a vegan. Anyway I know something happened before that, because I went to go get the book because I felt convicted about it i think.

Anyways I think that God made me vegan to teach me a lesson and because it's defenitely good to be vegan anyway.

veggie at 15 and vegan at 16, almost 17 now lol. i idolize all of you in this forum, you are amazing <3

I idolize you Vegan630! I wish I'd been vegan at 16!

cobweb

I went veggie at 14, vegan at 21.

I was raised veggie and I turned vegan at 13, two months before my 14th though, so if that changes it.....
    Last edited by BassPixie; May 30th, 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: too many numbers in a row.....

I went veggie at 15 and vegan at 17.

Quote BassPixie View Post
    Last edited by BassPixie : May 30th, 2007 at 21:57. Reason: too many numbers in a row.....
    LOL kiddo. You rule.

I was 16 when I went veggie, and 24 when I turned vegan.
    I like football. And potatoes.

BlackCats

I became veggie at 17 after a few lame attempts.
    I became vegan last year when I was 30 (after one lame attempt earlier in the year.)

I was never a Vegetarian, went Vegan at age 20.

It was a long process for me: gave up red meat at 15, chicken and turkey at 20, fish at 22, and finally went vegan at 25. Am now 27.

I went veggie at 15 and then attempted veganism at 17. When back to being a veggie and then finally succeeded at being vegan aged 20. I'm 21...almost 22 now so yay!!! (I envy those of you raised vegetarian and those of you who went from being omni to vegan....I praise you cuz it seems like an impossible task!!!)
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Finally managed to persuade my parents to let me turn vegetarian at 13.

Turned vegan at 28 in April

I think I hated meat from the day I was born! Definitely born to be vegan, just took me a while to get around to it

I'm 13 and I just went vegan. My mom's going crazy, she thinks I'm going to kill myself. How did your parents react when you went vegan?

Well both my parents are vegetarian and although they won't go vegan themselves, were pretty supportive of my move into veganism.
    I think the best thing to do is get some information on Vegan nutrition for her and show her that being animal free is a good thing. Viva is a pretty good resource for this, especially their UK site. Good luck and if you need any advice please don't hesitate to ask!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I went veggie at 6 and was supported by non veggie parents mum went veggie when i was 12. I went vegan 2 years ago when i was 32, mums now 90% vegan dad omi but will eat vegan food and eat out at veggie cafes.

Dads quite use to me now knows i will stay vegan now and has got use to checking ingredients lists!

went veggie when i was just 16, and vegan just before turning 17!, my mums supportive, but my friends think I'm mental...
    guess they're sort of right,but not cause of that!

i was raised eating alot of meat
    and when i was 12 i decided to go vegetarian.
    this was my own decision, and i got no support from family at first, but now my parents are ok with it.

i feel quite proud that i made that decision on my own at a very young age

same with me, i was raised to eat meat, then at age 12 i decided to stop eating meat, and 1 or 2 months later i even stopped eating animal-products in general

First went veggie at 15 after years of talking my parents in to it, went vegan at 20 but went back to eating meat at 25. Back to being vegan now so I voted 27.

Vegetarian at 19, vegan at 21
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Vegetarian at 21, vegan at 27.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I was an Omnivore until age 17, when within 24 hours in September, I went vegan.

I am now 30.
    context is everything

Vegetarian at 15 then vegan a couple of months later after my 16th.

LuVegan15

I was 7 when I first became vegetarian becasue I knew somehow it was the right thing to do. However, I had no support whatsoever from my fully-carni family. My mum used to almost force feed me meat, but i diddn't take it becuase it wasn't the right thing to do. Sadly, i did start eating it again when she was looking as i had to, but behind her back i never did. I was then an on/off veg for the next 5 years all from my own drive to not hurt animals, still having no support from any of my relatives or friends, as they viewed not eating meat as 'un-natural'. Finally, when I turned 12 I became a full vegetarian, and decided to just ignore everyone.. which came at a high price. I became very thin but still refused to eat meat, even with all my peirs laughing at me for doing what I believe in. Luckily, my mum gave up trying to make me eat meat soon after i became thin and let me be vegetarian. Ever since being vege, I wanted to be vegan, and finally took that step about 1 month and a half ago - so when I was 14, and I'm 15 in less than a week. I'm so proud to be vegan, if I had the choice I would have loved to have been vegan from birth as I have never felt so healthy. For me, veganism has improved my health alot and completely cured my depression (well not depression, but I had a very hard childhood to say the least), and has just been a complete eye-opener to the world. I will always be vegan, even with my family working against me and my friends getting annoyed with my constant talk about animals and the enviroment

Good on ya! Keep to your morals and nothing will get you down!

I was a Vegetarian for, like, two weeks in early October.
    Then, around the 20th, I couldn't take it anymore and went Vegan.
    Thankfully, my dad went along with it. [:

pavotrouge

wow. great dad you've got!

Haha, yes.
    Even though he still doesn't really like me being so "different" from the rest of my family [we're Hispanic, and deeply rooted in tradition = meat dishes], he deals with it. :]

I went straight from omni to vegan when I was 55. So I'm one of only 2 in the "51-60" bracket.
    I've been through all 8 pages of this thread, but everybody who's posted is much younger!
    So who is the other one in my bracket? Own up, don't be ashamed!

veggie 17
    vegan 19

I was 17 when I became vegetarian, and half I year later (then I was 18 ) I became vegan.

I was 11 when I became a vegetarian and 16 when I fist became vegan!