Thread: Chicken Empathy

Default Chicken Empathy

Hi,

Just saw this in the journal Nature (one of the main science journals):

Quoted directly from the website:
    "Animal Behaviour: Chickens feel for each other. It seems that chickens might also display signs of empathy — an ability to share another's emotional state. If farm animals empathize more widely with their fellows, farmers may need to take extra measures to limit stress to animals during handling, transportation and slaughter.
    Joanne Edgar at the University of Bristol, UK, and her co-workers placed individual hens and their chicks in boxes, separating hen and chicks with a clear plastic sheet, and puffed the chicks with bursts of air. In response, the mothers' behaviour and physiology changed, with greater clucking and an increased heart beat."

Journal Nature, volume 471, page 268, published online 16.3.11 doi:10.1038/471268c

I know it's an obvious finding for us, and it's sad that they only see it as a sign that welfare should be improved, rather than that they shouldn't be imprisoned or eaten at all. But I think seeing studies like this published in major journals is good because it really can make a big difference to government policies and the general publics opinion when it gets re-published in a newspaper.

Default Re: Chicken Empathy

Yes, it has already had some mainstream media coverage e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9419477.stm

It's true that the focus of the recommendations are about improving husbandry, but I'm sure some people will think about whether they want to eat them as well.

That's good, yeah I hope it will. I know before I went vegetarian originally those kind of articles really made me think, and eventually led me to becoming vegan.

I also find animal behaviour fascinating. I study human infant psychology so I love to also find out more about animal psychology ( from research that doesn't actually harm the animals they are studying of course).

I hope it does make more people think. It is sad though the way humans assume that animals don't have feelings etc.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Thyme, have you read any of Marian Stamp Dawkins' books on animal behaviour? I read one once and found it quite interesting - think the type of research was a bit similar to this new study, finding out that hens would go through holes that they didn't normally like in order to get some company, and stuff like that. Think the one I read was "Through Our Eyes Only?: The Search for Animal Consciousness" but there are more recent ones.

Who is the interviewer is in that radio programme you posted Harpy, she doesn't sound very empathetic to chickens does she?
    It never ceases to amaze me the way humans like to believe that animals don't have feelings..............I think anyone who cannot show empathy to an animal probably isn't very empathetic to fellow humans either.
    (At least that's been my experience )

Just one of the cheeky chappies and chappesses on the R4 Today programme, I think, Sandra :-/

Thanks Harpy!
    I never listen to the radio so wouldn't know one interviewer from another.

Quote sandra View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me the way humans like to believe that animals don't have feelings.
    (At least that's been my experience )
    Ditto Sandra!

Yet another double standard.. in the same way that people smile and 'ahh' at their pets as they display 'human like 'characteristics or chuckle with affection at chimps cuddling and tending their young at the zoo. But manage to completely delude themselves into believing that the animals that will end up on their dinner plate have absoultely no feelings at all .

I have just rescued four battery hens and it is amazing to watch them grow. The findings in the research state the obvious that any chicken keeper knows. I have learned when mine are happy/nervous/alert/stressed/relaxed I know all their clucks individually and each one will come to the call of it's name. They are amazing birds and very rewarding to rehome. Please if you have the time and a nice sized safe garden do consider it. It is a little act to us but for them it is life or death...

That is really great you were able to rescue them! That's adorable that they all know their names.. do you have any pictures to post? How did you end up rescuing them?

I have pictures of them on Flickr at amazonpanak or on twitter at bigeye_thresher. I don't know how to put pics on here lol as only using an iPhone. I feel really lucky to have rescued them. I moved back from Ireland and registered with the British hen welfare trust and the next thing I knew they were on the phone saying the next rescue date is te next weekend and I'm booked in for hens. It was a rush to build the coop but all very exciting. They were rescued from the battery farm at 10.30 and u picked them up from the welfare trust at 12.30. There were hundreds in the big barn and I got my wonderful four girls. It was horrendous to see them. I cried even though I know exactly what they would be like they were even worse than pictures I had seen. Would you ever think of rescuing?

Awwww... so sweet The video of Chloe sunbathing was adorable.. so sad though how they look in the beginning pictures but you can tell they look better in the last ones. It was so cute to see her exploring in the grass.. rescuing is something I really want to do when I move eventually but where I live now there's only a patio in the back, not even enough room for a dog to run around.. so someday hopefully.. I wish you the best with them, they are little cuties!

Ah thank you glad you liked it. They are all wonderful and would encourage anyone to rescue. Let me know when you move and rescue yourself I would be very interested in your experiences with them as I am writing a book

I'm thinking that someday when I move out and have a big enough property that I'll rescue some hens. They're so lovely and it always makes me so sad about what happens to them
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Here you go - check-out Mary Britton Clouse and her Chicken Run Rescue:
    http://www.brittonclouse.com/chickenrunrescue/

Infact, check-out her whole website..
    http://www.brittonclouse.com/

Ok will let you know! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Chickens are such adorable creatures They can be very cuddly indeed and crave the company of others, even humans.