Thread: Recipes that use blackstrap molasses

Default Recipes that use blackstrap molasses

I recently bought a big jar of organic blackstrap molasses, as it's meant to be a good source of calcium and iron. I stirred a spoonful into some lemon yoghurt. It was okay but not something I really want to repeat.

I intend to try Ruby Duby's 'molasses in hot water with lemon juice' drink, but does anyone have any other ideas or favourite recipes? Otherwise I can see that jar sitting in my cupboard for a very long time!

Thanks!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Recipes that use blackstrap molasses

I think I have had a jar sitting in my cupboard for a very long time, but I guess you could use it in things like flapjacks or toffee, that call for treacle or golden syrup? I don't know whether it would affect the nutritional value to cook it though.

I did use to stir a spoonful into a glass of orange juice sometimes which isn't too bad provided you use enough orange juice It's meant to be good to have it with vitamin C to help with the iron absorption, isn't it?

Harpy, that's true. I can't say I fancy orange juice and molasses somehow, but I won't knock it until I've tried it.

I had porridge this morning made with half a cup of oats, 2 cups water and a dessertspoon of molasses and a pinch of mixed spice. It was quite nice, will add in some lemon juice when I make it again.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

My favourite way to use it is to make the 'Full meal muffins' from the Vegan Lunch box blog. http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2007...l-muffins.html.
    I make them all the time! They freeze really well and make nice quick healthy snacks, expecially warmed with a little bit of almond butter
    Houmous atá ann!

i have molasses, but use it rarely..was thinking maybe some a little more often especially after the floaty blood incident the other night. would a teaspoon stirred into a bean chilli be vile do you think?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I should think it would be okay, although even 2 teaspoons is only about 15% of your recommended iron, I think? All adds up though, of course.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    My favourite way to use it is to make the 'Full meal muffins' from the Vegan Lunch box blog. http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2007...l-muffins.html.
    I make them all the time! They freeze really well and make nice quick healthy snacks, expecially warmed with a little bit of almond butter
    Thanks for this, will check them out!

A couple of the 'vegan cupcakes take over the world' recipes use molasses, like 's'mores and peanut butter cupcakes. I tend to find it's nicer in baking than drinks.

I'm sure Whalespace is/was big into this stuff, may be worth sending him a pm.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

RubyDuby

good for potassium too! I'd definitely be interested in learning some more creative ways too add it to my diet... liking the cupcake idea
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.