Thread: UK: Reducing your grocery bill

Default UK: Reducing your grocery bill

Here in the uk the price of food is going through the roof and I'm interested to know how everyone is coping. Weve set a food budget for the first time and have made the following substitutions

Alpro uht soya milk - value soya milk
    Pure spread - Vitalite
    Cafe Direct organic ground coffee - regular own brand coffee
    Clipper organic tea - regular tea
    Green & Blacks chocolate - regular dark chocolate
    Heinz baked beans - own brand beans
    Epicure lentils, beans etc - own brand beans etc
    Organic veg from a supermarket - local farm shop who dont spray but arnt organic
    Organic fruit - anything that you peel changed for regular but items like apples, mangos etc kept organic

Weve also changed many "green" household items to regular or value. This has reduced our weekly bill by £30.

Default Re: Reducing your grocery bill

Our problem is that we had already done that - own brands, no more organic products except on the rare occasion. As a rule we are now having a lot less ready prepared foods eg redwoods and frys and eat a lot of pulse and vegetable based dishes. Which is not a bad thing. I'm trying to be more concious of waste and fortunately have a bit of a stockpile from when I shopped with Approved Foods - the days of stockpiling from Suma have long gone

Don't you peel your mangoes?

Have you seen the "dirty ten" and the "clean fifteen" lists for fruit and veg? They originated in the US, but since I suspect we get a lot of the same imported stuff probably apply here too - they had things like mangoes, pineapples, peas and onions on the clean list, so even if you don't get those organic you're not running too much risk of high levels of pesticides remaining, whereas things like strawberries and potatoes it pays to continue getting organic. I made a list which I take to the market (as the only thing you seem to be able to get organic there is the occasional banana).

I can't say I'm doing much different to what I'd been doing before, although I'm trying to cook more stuff at home from basic ingredients, but that's as much about making me feel good as helping my pocket I still want to support small businesses such as my local wholefood shop where I can, because if they're gone before the economy picks up we may not get them back for a long time!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yeah, i do peel them, silly me! I've been up since 2.30am with a teething baby and my heads just shot to pieces. I'll check out the dirty 10 and adjust accordingly but will always but organic potatoes and carrots as they taste so good.

When do you think food prices will stop rising? I reckon when oil prices slow down but thats not looking to hopeful either.......

To be honest, I already do all those things, and always have done. I've never routeing bought brand names as it's never seemed worth it. With a baby on the way, and about to go down to being a single income family we can't really afford the rise in food costs, but its something we just have to deal with.

There are some things I do, like making my own Tofu and soya yoghurt which work out a lot cheaper. I use 1 carton of soya milk to make a litre of soya yoghurt (which means it costs about 59p compared to about £2.60 for Alpro) and 2 Cartons of soya milk (£1.04) to make about 400g of tofu, which is more than a block of cauldron foods which normally cost well in excess of £2.

We also save money by using "Family Cloth" (using fabric/towelling scraps instead of toilet paper) cloth sanitary towels, fabric handkerchiefs, diluted washing powder and other such things. We did this for a mix of reasons, partly because we wanted to save the money when I between jobs a while back, and partly to reduce consumer waste. We are also planning on using cloth nappies when the baby gets here. It's not gross or unhygienic. The paper products you buy in the shops aren't in anyway sterilised, and as long as you are a bit sensible (like taking a break from using cloth wipes if you have a badly upset stomach) it's IMHO probably cleaner.

We also grow a tiny bit of food, not much at all, but have a small plot only a few meters wide in which we grow kale. This really takes no effort of my part and the Kale I seeded about a year ago is still producing enough leaves to have kale once or twice a week, which saves buying a bag of it, half of which normally goes off.

The other tip I have is really pay attention to the cost per weight/vol of items. For example, in Tesco it's actually cheaper to buy their organic virgin olive oil than their regular stuff. It's only a saving of a few pence, but it's still a saving. Some things are much more substantial, so for example it's quite often a lot cheaper to buy a big bag of spice from the world foods section than it is to buy things from the spice section. eg I bought a massive bag (several hundred grams) of fennel seeds, for £1.60, where as buying a small 68g pot of Sharwoods seeds would have been £1.58. So for another 2p I got enough fennel to last me until I finally die of fennel overdose.

The other thing is to sit down and plan meals each week, breakfast, lunch and dinner and just go buy those ingredients. It's a lot less tempting to think 'Sod it, I'll go get a cheeseless pizza from pizza hut' if you already have food in the cupboard which you know can be cooked in less time than it takes you to go out and get said pizza. If you can also include at least one dish each week that you can either use the leftovers for another meal, or freeze down and have one of those moments when you really, really don't feel up to cooking that can make a big difference.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Sorry, I should have said "dirty dozen" - I knew the ten didn't look quite right!

One interesting thing I did a while back was have a £100 challenge month, where I could not spend over that on food, clothes, travel, entertainment, etc. in a month. I thought it would be easier than it turned out to be, I didn't realise how much I seem to fritter away, but I did manage on the second attempt, and it was really useful for making me use up stuff I'd bought but not got round to doing anything with in my store cupboards! Things like chickpea flour and cornmeal I found very useful for bulking things out.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Wow, that must be pretty tough. I usually draw £100 a week for the same, and that is often not enough. :-/

May have to attemp it at some point.

Anyway, going out / luxuries aside - with food I get a bi-weekly veg box + fruit at about £20 a pop. I purposely dont check what I am going to be getting beforehand, and avoid turning to recipe books etc - just gotta make the most out of what I have got, and certain staples. This usually leads to a lot of soups, stews, stir fry's and curries - but can't whinge. I also always make enough for leftovers, both for lunch the next day, and a meal or two for the week following - usually eaten with a jacket spud or toast, where as the 'fresh' meal would have been with a grain of sorts. Works pretty well.

The rest mostly goes on beer
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Ok, once w'eve moved house and I've got my life back I'm going to try making my own tofu. Ms_Derious do you make your own cleaning products? Im gonna give this a go as I've always thought there a rip off. Making a list is also a good idea but sometimes its fun just not buying hardly anything and using up odds and sods in the cupboard (aka Twinkle). This week I have some Vianna products from veggiestuff to use up and then its onto 100% wholefoods with a meal plan in place. Gwydion, up to last week I'd spent £100+ a week for two adults, a toddler and a baby. Now I've cut back its £70 and hope to reduce that even further next week.

Most of the things i buy are saver brands anyway (esxcept for baked beans - they HAVE to be heinz!). I've also stopped making so many meals which involve meat replacements products like veggie sausages and mince. That does definitely seem to make a difference. Also, in Preston there's some really good vegetable stalls in the market, and that saves a fortune. Finally, I'd definitely agree with the planning the weeks menus and making a list before you go to the shop, you just have to stick to it! Oh, also, make full use of your freezer! bulk cooking is awesome, because then its like you have frozen homemade readymeals for you!

Ms_Derious, I'm awestruck by your family cloth ideas! I used cloth nappies myself, and have been toying with the idea of something like a mooncup, but i'm just not brave enough...

Twinkle: So is that £100 all you have to spend (apart from your bills?) for the entire month for everything?/ That's hardcore. I try and stick to about £60 a week (not so much out of choice but neccesity!) , and I really struggle with that. How do you do it?

Well, I did end up making some interesting meals out of things I found in the backs of cupboards, and did find I'd used a lot of my store-cupboard staples up by the time I'd finished, so I probably wouldn't manage it several months running... or maybe I would, maybe it would get easier to plan things out economically. I did standard things like check supermarkets to see if they had reduced things, shop at the market at the end of the day, use a lot of bulk stuff like lentils, chickpea flour and cornflour, took packed lunches and snacks out with me, or came home for lunch (my house is 10 minutes from work).

Quote veganvoo View Post
    Green & Blacks chocolate - regular dark chocolate
    Is this actually vegan again now? The website still says they list milk as an ingredient.

Can't say I've really noticed rising food prices.

We never buy organic unless it's at least the same price as normal (waste of money).
    Buy own brands where possible, especially budget lines (Tesco value, Asda smartprice, Sainsburys basics etc.)
    Get lots of fruit and veg from a local stall that is often cheaper than the supermarkets (just bought 2 pineapples for £1!).
    Pay close attention to cost per quantity.
    Use cashback websites such as quidco.
    Check money saving expert for discount codes.
    Use loyalty cards.

I think we actually make a huge saving by shopping online, although you have to pay a delivery fee there are advantages; You have plenty of time to compare products and the information such as £/kg is readily available. In shops similar products are often put in different places at very different prices, this doesn't happen online, if you search for rice you get all the rice products listed. Finally, you can complain about home shopping - If you buy a scraggy lettuce in store it's your own fault but if someone picks one for you then you can complain about it. I don't think of myself as a complainer as such but I do report to them when there have been problems with my order, this usually results in at least a refund of the product there's a problem with and quite often more than that.

Quote Risker View Post
    Is this actually vegan again now? The website still says they list milk as an ingredient.
    G&B's Chocolate isn't vegan, at least not in Canada. Better off with that store brand! Their packages are hard to read though, at first I thought they were vegan too :/
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

To reduce my grocery bill I have a list of all my foods (frozen, fresh, refrigerated, tinned) and I will sit down about once a fortnight and plan meals etc for the next 2-4 weeks including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I probably have enough food stocked up to last a month so yesterday I wrote my food plan for the next 3 weeks and will only need to buy things like fresh fruit, veg and soya milk until the end of July.

Quote Risker View Post
    Its becoming vegan again in the uk, this thread explains all.

Quote Risker View Post
    The maya gold is vegan. I'll be so sad if it isn't!

Default Re: UK: Reducing your grocery bill

Sorry my last post went a bit wrong - ended up writing in Riskers quote! It should have said:
    Its becoming vegan again in the uk, this thread explains all.

I had the unhappy but highly 'educational' experience of being totally skint with 3 kiddies to feed a few years back.

A few tricks our family used to keep the bills down ...

1. Different shops seemed to be cheaper for different kinds of food. Farm Foods for frozen stuff and biscuits and Nettos for tinned stuff, from memory.

With five mouths to feed the savings made going to different outweighed the travel cost, we found.

2. Closing time at the local market; The grocers there would sell stuff off at absolutely silly prices if we haggled a bit rather than throw it away.

Quite fun finding recipes that would dispose of half a hundred weight of green beans, or whatever we ended up with, it was!

3. Dal and chappatti flour; Common with Indian familes - We kept a pot of dal permanently on the go with homemade chappatti always in the fridge for everyone to snack on when they got peckish.

Cheap as chips and actualy a very good meal being in the 'beans over grains' style. A chutney of fried tomatos with onions, garlic and ginger went well with that btw.

4. Leftovers; Always used to find a way to get any leftovers from one day into the next days food - Virtualy anything can be boiled and blended and added to fresh ingredient to make the next days stew or soup.

5. Making up stupid names for bizarre mish-mash meals so the kids would still eat them thinking they were something exotic or 'kewl'; Down to the imagination that one! lol
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Firestorm View Post
    To reduce my grocery bill I have a list of all my foods (frozen, fresh, refrigerated, tinned) and I will sit down about once a fortnight and plan meals etc for the next 2-4 weeks including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I probably have enough food stocked up to last a month so yesterday I wrote my food plan for the next 3 weeks and will only need to buy things like fresh fruit, veg and soya milk until the end of July.
    This is a fantastic idea and I wish I had the discipline to do this. I cook all the time anyway, but it's kind of a spur of the moment thing - I'll fancy some food in the morning, buy ingredients after work and cook it that night. If I planned it like this I'd probably be able to do it much more healthily and cheaper though, and with fewer individual shopping trips.

For my part I think when it comes to food the problem is much less organic/standard and branded/own brand than exactly what you're eating. It's much more expensive to get protein from tofu than dried pulses, or eat strawberries instead of apples, asparagus instead of broccoli etc. Of course if you restrict yourself to cheaper things it can get very boring, but sometimes little substitutions in meals can work wonders.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Oh and the main thing I wanted to post is that the Co-op is amazing for cheap vegan cosmetics/household products. Everything vegan and not tested on animals and standard own-brand supermarket prices. Saves a fortune on the kind of stuff health food shops and the like sell.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

The couple of times I've been in a Tesco in the last few years (not through choice!) I am usually flabbergasted by the amount of money that's being rung up on tills per customer - hundreds and hundreds of euro, often for a just single trolleyfull.

Stuff like 'star-shaped barbecue chicken bites', mounds of white bread, shedloads of water, I dunno, shíte wrapped in plastic mainly. They pay all this money for packaging then pay to have that packaging taken away!

A vegan diet of fresh fruit and veggies with the absolute minimum of factory food should be - and I find it is - the cheapest and healthiest diet around; I would find it hard to cut our grocery bill because it's already far lower than many Te$con customers' bills, even during the blue months when we're not growing much.

The Trashcos of this world don't sell food cheap (why on earth would they?) - they sell cheap food (why on earth wouldn't they?)
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I've just started to buy things in bulk to try to save money, I ordered washing liquid and washing up liquid from ethical superstore and a sack of wholemeal bread flour from Shipton Mill. They should keep me going for a few months. I've got a big bag of gluten flour to make seitan as it's much cheaper than buying it from the healthfood shop. I went to a PYO farm and stocked up on fruit and put it in the freezer. I'm trying to think of as many things as possible to save money. I'm making ginger beer today.

I've also started making birthday presents, I've made my Mother in law some bunting to put in her sunroom. I make birthday cards for people as well as they cost such a lot.

^ I bought a load of flour when it was on offer, not sure it was a great idea though since it gives an increased risk of weevils and if they do appear there's a lot more flour to lose.

I also bought a large stockpot recently to make some foods in bulk but without a large freezer to store it in we can only keep a couple of different foods at a time. Could get a freezer from freecycle but I think it's energy usage would outweigh the savings made by bulk cooking.

Yes Risker I am a little concerned about how well the flour will keep but I'm going to give it a go and see, ideally it would be good if I could share it with someone. I might put some in the freezer as apparently that works well to keep it fresh.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    I've just started to buy things in bulk to try to save money
    Yes, that's a great way of reducing both expense and packaging. Have you tried Suma for bulk deals? Much of their stuff is organic to boot.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    I've also started making birthday presents, I've made my Mother in law some bunting to put in her sunroom. I make birthday cards for people as well as they cost such a lot.

Cards are pointlessly dear, true. We try to recycle cards as much as possible. We don't give Christmas presents but instead give a decent-sized donation to HIPPO.

Birthday presents? Who wants to celebrate getting older?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm not mad about birthday presents, but I'm all for celebrating getting older (as opposed to the alternative ).

I haven't done the sums but I think I save a bit by making bread, as the posh stuff is quite expensive to buy.

I was 21 when I celebrated my last birthday.

Quote ZoeP View Post
    Oh, also, make full use of your freezer! bulk cooking is awesome, because then its like you have frozen homemade readymeals for you!
    Yes! I did this the other day, bag of potatoes, brocolli and peas, and a pack of Jus-Roll pastry, and I now have 12 veggie pasties in my freezer! I've saved almost £100 this month by bulk cooking and then freezing, because I'm not throwing stuff out!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Thanks DavidT I'll have a look at Suma's website.

We try not to buy christmas presents but the problem is only half the family is happy with the idea. So it gets a bit silly sometimes. We are buying presents for some people and not others.

The other thing I've been doing to save money is growing lots of herbs on my window sills, I've just planted some rocket in a pot as well not sure how well that will work. I think you can really brighten up a meal just by adding a few tasty herbs.

Have you ever tried the 'secret santa' method of Christmas present buying? Basically, a limit is set for each person to spend, say £25 or £40 for instance. Each person in the group says what they want up to that value. One person collects all their preferences and distributes them around the participants.

Each person thus receives a note saying, "You're buying a (whatever) or alternatively a (whatever) for your uncle Joe (or whoever)".

Good system when it works - the OH's family has used it for years. Only one present to buy and send and a cap on the money. And everyone gets something they really want! A different person each year does the organising.

Quote DavidT View Post
    I was 21 when I celebrated my last birthday.
    Does that mean you get to stay 21 permanently?

Quote harpy View Post
    That's the plan.

I'm never going to stop celebrating my birthday, I just had a lovely one for my 36th! We had a picnic in the park on Saturday and everyone brought something to contribute, including a huge load of delicious roasted vegetables from my friend's allotment. Not expensive at all and a very nice time.

Quote harpy View Post
    You should be whatever age you want to be - I've been 25 for 3 years and now I am starting to go backwards.
    With regards to Christmas and Birthdays - my family spend most of the year being careful with money and trying to watch what we spend, but at Christmas and on Birthdays we spoil each other rotten (there is only 5-6 of us at the moment and Life sucks most of the time - if you cant spoil your loved ones once or twice a year then its a poor do).
    Although we do recycle old Christmas cards to make gift tags for next year (and I sneakily try to rescue the paper for next year as well).

@Twinkle - Glad to hear you had a lovely birthday!

My chronological age is fine, it's just that most other people haven't caught up with me yet