Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packed / School & College lunches / Dorm food

Di

Default Re: Vegan in College

Microwave frozen veg and sauce it up! Joanne Stepaniak's The Saucy Vegetarian is a great no-cook book that makes the most boring food appetizing. Also ready-made polenta that comes in those tubes is great for a starch, as well as whole wheat cous cous (microwave), whole grain breads, bagels, and tortillas, etc... Just get really familiar with the nearby natural foods store.

I make Fantastic Foods soy meals (taco, sloppy joes) in the microwave. They are pretty cheap (about 2 dollars), make A LOT, and have a lot of protien.

They are mainly fat free, but have a lot of salt...fairly good for a quick meal! www.fantasticfoods.com

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/catalo...getarian+Meals

Also, there are rice cooker cooking books like this -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155

Thanks a BILLION to everyone who has responded. I may just survive freshman year thanks to all of you!

Default Vegan at college

I just moved into James Madison University a few days ago, and have been searching for vegan things everywhere. Mostly, I've stuck to salads and fruits and stuff, but nonorganic foods make me really uneasy. I hate it! All the veggie patties they sell are either some offbrand company that uses nonvegan sugar, or boca burgers (which I assume also have nonvegan sugar, as when I asked them they replied: "In general, our products are analyzed for total sugars as opposed to specific types of sugar.").

Any other people in college here? What do you do? THere's a nice natural food store around here, it's just so expensive!
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 27th, 2006 at 11:45 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread.

Default College life and veganism

I am currently a sophmore in college and I was wondering if anyone else here is in college at the moment.

Is it hard for you to find things to eat during dinner (does your college have alot of vegan foods) or do you need to buy alot of your own food?
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: This was the 1st post in a similar thread.

Default Re: College life and veganism

im a junior in college! its definately tough - our dning hall is not vegan friendly at all. though hopefully if i get on a committee for SG this semester I can work to improve that. even my dietician agreed that they probably dont even understand what the word means. therefore i spend so much money off campus buying supplies. it sucks bc the dining hall is mandatory - meal plan is now - when it use to not be.

hows yours?
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

This guy at my college makes me a vegan baguette every day! We also have fruit salads, salads, sandwhiches and soy milk! And smoothies too..

i'm a senior. and the dining hall sucks. nothing is really vegan, and most vegetarian entrees come with cheese. so when i do go to the dining hall i eat basically salads, but i am fortunate to have a whole foods right near me so a lot of my food comes from there. yummy!

My dining hall is ok...has no soy milk though =/

It always had a salad station and a pasta station (but the pasta is not whole wheat). I bought organic peanut butter, soy milk, walnuts and apples to snack on though.

But like veggiejess said, ours have vegetarian entrees but they almost always have cheese or eggs in them =(

Default College "Cooking"

Ok... I'm in a bit of a predicament.

I had kicked around the idea of becoming vegetarian before, and this year when I went to college I ended up with a philosophy professor whose forte is ethics... especially animal and environmental ethics. So, I decided to give it a shot (and started an environmental group on the side) about 2 months ago. Then about 2 weeks ago I decided to go completely vegan after coming to the conclusion that I was still supporting the same industries by consuming dairy and eggs.

The cafeteria on campus had been pressured to start serving more vegetarian dishes... so being a vegetarian was easy. But they put milk and eggs in everything. I've come to the realization that I only have two choices most of the time... vegan burritos and the salad bar. That is becoming increasingly boring (not only that, but I'm afraid that I'm not getting enough variety in my diet).

The meal plan is mandatory for students living on campus like myself... but I'm planning on fighting them on it.

Now the problem is figuring out what I can eat. That's why I'm coming to you guys.

A communal microwave is the only appliance I have. I can get access to a mini refrigerator. I'm looking for meals that require little preparation (have only plastic forks, spoons, and knives that I've taken from the cafeteria), can be eaten without being cooked or by cooking in the microwave, are cheap and will last a long time without refrigeration if possible (especially bulk staples that don't require a stove/oven), and will provide all of the nutrition I need. I need to avoid expensive convenience foods when at all possible.

Another issue is that the only store that is readily available is a regular run of the mill grocery store. I could make the long trip to a whole foods market about once a month or so for "specialty items" (tempeh and mock meats, vegannaise, or just about anything that's promoted as vegan), but for the most part I'm going to be out of luck.

Can you guys help me out?

Tonight I had an Uncle Ben's Garden Vegetable Ready Rice because I needed something quick and it didn't appear to have any animal products in it (although I'm not up-to-date on all of the hidden animal products). But it really wasn't that economical or filling. I got some tofu that I plan on mashing and adding a little mustard to (I'm really wishing I had some vegannaise to add to it) and putting on spinach tortillas to hold me over for the weekend.

Mostly, I just need to make a case for the fact that I can feed myself just fine without a meal plan as the only way they let students off the hook typically is if they have a more expensive room with a kitchen.

Anything else I could get to make it easier to live independently of the cafeteria would be nice as far as appliances and things go, but "due to electrical limitations and fire safety regulations halogen lamps, air conditioners, microwaves, toasters, toaster ovens, breadmakers, blenders,
    or any open-coil appliances are not allowed." If you guys can think of anything that they haven't banned and would make life easier (and wouldn't be too expensive) let me know.

Thanks!

Default Re: College "Cooking"

how about stuff like nuts and seeds? they'll provide you with some healthy fatty acids, and protein. and granola with soymilk? oatmeal can be made in the microwave. dried fruits and fresh fruits and veggies. don't you ever have access to a kitchen? i mean, even just once in a month, so you could do a lot of cooking (stuff like hummous, beanspread), and how about some yummy bread and some ready-made vegan spreads? like peanutbutter and jelly, tahini, and others? hope you'll figure something out

i went vegan two weeks before my first year of college, so i know how you're feeling (I was lucky enough to go to a very progressive college, though, so they had at least one prepared vegan meal in the cafeteria everyday)...but rice and salad still became the basis of my diet.

If you can get your hands on one of those tea makers (like a hot plate, which is generally forbidden in dorms, except that it's enclosed and shaped like a tea pot, but works the exact same way - just make sure you find one that has a detachable lid) then you can use that like a saucepan. My friend taught me to put canellini beans on couscous with salsa - super cheap and yummy. Definitely stock up on canned beans, which are less than a dollar each and you can add them to a lot of foods for protein. You can even make a semi-decent chilli just by mixing kidney, black, and garbanzo beans, a small can of tomato paste, and some cumin/chilli pepper. I've never microwaved it before, but I'm sure it would work, though you'd have to refrigerate the leftovers....

If you find vegan pasta, try heating peanutbutter and soysauce and mixing it all together. i know it sounds kind of strange, but people either really like it or hate it (in fact, I think I'll have that for lunch today!)

I really liked eating almond butter (expensive but oh so delicious) on whole wheat rice cakes. And while they're a little pricier, Luna Bars are yummy and nutritious and good on the run. And I agree with Smoothie - stock up on nuts and seeds to snack on.

I'm close enough to home that I coud go home about once a month and cook something... I baked some bread while I was home over Thanksgiving break, but none of it actually made its way back to campus.

I'm thinking about getting a rice cooker... since it's for more than just rice. And maybe a food dehydrator so I can make my fruits last.

Nuts and seeds would work... I could buy them in bulk to save a little money. Beans would also be good.

What do you guys think about the possibility of cooking seitan in a rice cooker? Or anything else that isn't rice?

What about sandwich ideas? I went to a restaurant a couple weeks ago called Veganopolis and had one that was a kind of artichoke/tomato pesto with some spinach on a ciabatta roll. It was amazing.

inkedmiss

Could you get a regular steamer ? That way you can steam veggies and rice and have a really nice meal in 15 mins.

You can steam veggies in the rice cookers I was looking at... they have a little basket that sits in the top or something.

you can get a lot of different cooking equipments you just plug into the wall, and voila! no problemo with the cooking although, you'd have to break a few rules.. but what a vegan won't do for her vegan food..

If you assert yourself and lobby for more vegan food in the canteen you won't have to pay extra for it and more people will benefit.
    Make an appointment to see your ethics `Prof to discuss how you can get the menu changed. Point out that omnis, vegggies, and vegans can all eat vegan food, but it doesn't work the other way round. Also vegan food is Halal and Kosher.
    Get a vegan catering pack sent to the chef or catering manager, maybe PETA can supply one, or a veggie charity.
    No doubt Prof will have more influence than you over the chef.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Oh, I assert myself... and I find it almost hilarious how most people on campus know my name, even if they don't have a face to go with it.

The prof and myself are trying to arrange a meeting with the head of food service within the next couple of weeks. We're going to push them for other people's sakes at least. But I'm more offended by the fact that they steal money from students than that they don't offer enough vegan options.

I also wrote a letter to the president in response to an essay he published about the supposed sustainability of campus dining. I don't know if it was lies on his part or ignorance. But I did what you said... mentioned the fact that anyone can eat vegan foods, and that if he was really concerned about sustainability, than veganism is a step towards it (and so the cafeteria should cater to vegans).

We'll see what we can manage...

Vegan Traveler

How about an electric crock-pot?
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Veggie mayo is easy to make by gently heating soya milk (you could do this in the microwave) then blending in oil and vinegar - maybe you could just whisk it with a fork instead of using a blender. I'll post the recipe if you like.

could you post the recipe? I would love to try it!
    Piggy

Lightbulb Poor college mom needs thrifty vegan meal ideas!

Hi, I'm new here, so hi! I'm a wife, mother of a 1-year old, and my huband and I are both in college. Needless to say we're quite budget-limited. I'm looking for ideas for bulk or simple but nutritious meals to make. I'm not talking boca burgers, but like simple lentil stews. What ingredients should I stock up on to make thrifty meals? Let's just say that I have about $60 to spend on food for the next couple weeks (and even that is due to a grocery gift card we were given) and I need some really good ideas! My daughter is currently living on peas and cheerios (she is SO picky--she won't even try a cracker with cashew butter (she's allergic to peanuts)) and hopefully she will adapt soon to what I regularly make. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 6th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Poor college mom needs thrifty vegan meal ideas!

Learn to cook from scratch, processed food is where the budget fails.
    Bulk buy porridge (plain unadulterated oatmeal) will be a lot cheaper than cheerios. It is nice with soya milk and tinned fruit.
    Bulk buy brown rice (much healthier than white) to have with home made lentil dahl, curries and stews are healthy and cheap, recipes plentiful on the net. Buy dried beans and pulses rather than tinned... they are much cheaper (except maybe tinned baked beans, which are inexpensive and a good protien source). Ethnic food shops often sell dried beans and pulses at very low cost. Do they have them where you live?
    Fresh fruit and veg is usually cheaper when sold loose. Some markets have special cheap days where they selll off the fresh fruit and veg if it has been on the shelf for a few days. Find out about seasonal produce for your area, it is usually cheaper and fresher than imported. Dried fruit and nuts are good snacks for kids.
    Kids like baked potatoes, which can be cooked in the oven and a lot of toppings added, such as home made hummus.
    Tap water and fruit concentrate rather than ready made soft drinks.
    Bottled water is a waste of money except in places where tap water is unsafe. Most tap water is OK once boiled or filtered.
    If you drink tea, loose leaves are much better value for money than bags.
    Get together with freinds in a similar position to do a shared meal every week or so, it gives you a break from cooking.

-Spagetti with tvp cooked in sauce!! Spagetti is cheap and nutritious (especially if it is whole wheat), and you can get a lot of meals out of a bag of tvp.

there are some great suggestions here! I don't really have any proper advice though - apart from, try to do a menu plan for the week, so that you don't overbuy perishable things like fruit and veg. Whenever I don't do a plan, we always end up wasting loads of stuff that just goes bad (well, actually usually they can look ok but when we see the 'best before' date was a month ago, we decide it's better to compost them!!).

Smile Re: Poor college mom needs thrifty vegan meal ideas!

Thank you all for your ideas! I'm definitely going to buy lots of lentils and bagged beans and see what I can make. I hope they have TVP at target (gift card :P) ... I'm inspired by a lady I read about who cut their grocery budget to 100/month -- vegan style. That's my goal!

1)dhal - it's the best, most filling food, served with rice.

2)make your own bread - all you need is flour, yeast and water, which is quite inexpensive. carry two or three different kind of flours, so you can get some variation, and fill up with grinded flax seed, sunflower seeds, nuts and other nice, healthy protein-stuff

3)make your own spreads - like hommous, black-bean spread, vegeanaise and other things, you need for eating bread.

4)if you think it's too much of a pain in the ***, to buy dried beans insted of canned, use a day to cook loads - and freeze them in serving-sizes.

5)use vinegar, bakingsoda and lemon as cleaners, insted of all the fancy, exepensive cleaners out there.

6) an easy way of saving some money is to mix soap with water, whn the container is 1/3 empty - soap is mostly too consentrated to dose correctly anyway.

7)live from whatever is in season - buy the seasonal veggies and fruits, they're the cheapest.

8)cook double-up, and freeze half. then, when you're to busy/tired/sick/lazy to cook, you won't feel tempted to buy a pizza, 'cause you'll have nice, easy and quick foods in the freezer.

9)live of the cheap foods, like potatoes, carrots, apples, onions, rice, pasta, dried beans, lentils, porridge, muesli and then add whatever is cheap.

10)always have the basics - like the ones i mentioned in number 9 + vinegars, oils, spices, garlic, mustard and whatever you like.

besides from that - RE-BILD, RE-USE AND RECYCLE. go to the recycling stores for everything.. who says you need to buy fancy furniture/clothing, when you can buy recycled, and re-decorate?

herbwormwood and Smoothie made great suggestions. i don't know if you would be willing to spend money on a cookbook, but if you're interested, i've heard good things about Student's Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond. It's written specifically with a tight budget in mind.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

and take a look on www.freecycle.org for getting some things for free like furniture etc - read all the info to see how it works. It might help for things like kids clothes especially, I often see them on my local one where people are bagging up stuff their child has grown out of and offering them on it.

Remember (for when your gift cards run out!) that supermarkets aren't always the cheapest places for some stuff. I found some chocolate soy milk for nearly half the price of the supermarkets - it was a different brand though, I think imported from the continent, and in a shop called Lidls which has a bit of a reputation (lol!) for being a bit 'lower-class' (to put it politely!). And I've heard fruit and veg stalls are often cheaper because they have loose produce instead of prepackaged, and use the next class of veg down from the supermarkets.

I suppose it's just all down to investigating though - maybe you can do more research on the net if you have time/access, as well as 'cheap vegan' things, you might have luck with 'budget student living' or even just meagre living in general - I'm sure there must be lots of people out there who want to spend as little money as possible. You might find details of places where you can buy things like lentils and dried beans in bulk, or even just everything in bulk (toilet paper etc). I recommend that mostly for things that aren't very perishable. I bought a whole box of packs of crisps once and now they've gone out of date and I still have about 6-8 packs to throw away now (I think there was 40, so I did OK! lol).

Quote DancingWillow View Post
    herbwormwood and Smoothie made great suggestions. i don't know if you would be willing to spend money on a cookbook, but if you're interested, i've heard good things about Student's Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond. It's written specifically with a tight budget in mind.

I forgot to add: join your local public library! Then you can borrow all the recipe books you need... free! Many libraries will obtain the books you want if they don't already carry them.

good point herb
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

here are some more sheap meal ideas:

-pancakes with lentil/veggie stuffing.
    -pastabakes and lasagnas (cause you can put whatever veggies into it, as you please)
    -carrot-lasagna! very nice and healthy - just grate some carrots, fry the suckers with some curry, and use this as you would a tomatosauce..
    -hommous
    -burgers, like rice/lentil burgers, beanburgers and so on.. served with some mashed potato!
    -chilis
    -currys
    -ovenroasted roots, like potato, carrot, beets and some onion, with a lot of spices, and some oil
    -also stuff like musakka'a, which is made from eggplant, chichpeas, onion and canned tomato
    -baba ganoush, which is a spread, made from aubergine
    -lentilsalads
    -potatosalads
    -beansalads
    -pastasalads

soups are really cheap too.
    try to learn from the places in the world, where people haven't the luxury of our countries - like mexico, marocco, india and the alikes - they usually know how to make, healthy, tasty food, without spending the world.
    you can sprout too, too get some realy nice, healthy (and usually exepensive) veggies. it's easy, cheap and tastes fantastic in salad

I'm definitely learning more about this. I got a book called "miserly moms" that advises moms on ways to cut down on the grocery budget. The basic theme seems to be "make in advance, make it yourself." Rather than buying oatmeal in a box or lots of fancy cereals, make a ton of pancakes on day and freeze them to pop int e microwave as you wish. also make your own maple syrup using extract!
    I'm excited about the lentil/rice/bean ideas too! Dhals sound so good. Last night I picked up like ten bags of dried beans and lentils for 7 bucks. Not too bad huh? I'm also going to try shopping at the ethnic (Indian or Asian) grocery stores for deals on beans and tofu . . .
    I'm limited on soymilk ideas since I live in a place with limited grocery options . . . I'll check it out online . . . maybe you can bulk buy soymilk online for cheap?

You can buy powdered soymilk, which is cheaper. One kind I saw was about $10, and it had lots of servings in the container (maybe 50??).

yeah. i think it's a lot cheaper making it myself, but it does require a big, exepensive soymilkmaker. and the other way of doing it, is not worth the time, if you ask me..
    did you think about sewing your own dipers and pads? that's A LOT cheaper, more environmentally friendly and very nice, when you get into it.

my recommendation is to shell out a bit of money to stock your spice rack, and then you will have a variety of flavors to spice cheap foods like beans and rice. it doesn't become as boring that way. also, if there is an Aldi store by you (and I have no idea how ethical the corporation is) they have really cheap produce (far from organic, though).

Arrow Simple Recipes for the College Student

So here's a thread to post simple recipes (or ask for) recipes that college students can use when really busy, working with limited ingredients, or lacking in cooking skills!

Does anyone have a good recipe I can take to a campus club vegan potluck? I was thinking about making a food-processor "salad"/ "salsa". Maybe mixing some baby arugala, tomatoes, baby carrots, zucchini, garlic, and Bragg's in a processor until the pieces are the size of oats (small, but not a paste). Then serve with crackers. This seems so plain! Should I add anything else? More veggies or spices?
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 6th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Default Re: Simple Recipes for the College Student

vinegar or lemon juice goes well in salsa.

just thought i'd throw my twopenne'th in

RubyDuby

salsa sounds good. or u could make a snack mix, or fruit salad, potato salad, pasta salad, egg salad with tofu instead of eggs, tuna salad with chickpeas and kelp powder/lemon juice instead of tuna... I have some recipes if ur interested pm me.

another idea for college student meals- canned soup on microwaved potato. Its really good, hot filling and super easy.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I would also be interested in any recipes anyone has. I have been subsisting on faux chicken salsa soup and faux egg/ham wraps from the local vegan place, hummus pitas and cereal in soy milk for the last two semesters. I'm working with REALLY limited resources in the apt. (no oven, no freezer and a fridge the size of a large hamper) but would totally LOVE a little change of pace. Not only are those few listed vegan meals (while good) getting repetitive, but buying food out daily is rapidly eating away at my miniscule college budget.

HELP VEGANS!

Quote Russell View Post
    Not only are those few listed vegan meals (while good) getting repetitive, but buying food out daily is rapidly eating away at my miniscule college budget.
    Although I'm not much help, could you try to find a farmer's market near you for veggies? I know of a vege market held from around april through august near my campus. And I think PA is great with farming, maybe you could join a coop and work a couple hours for a vege box each week? I've found one in my area for their next season (fall through spring).

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    salsa sounds good. or u could make a snack mix, or fruit salad, potato salad, pasta salad, egg salad with tofu instead of eggs, tuna salad with chickpeas and kelp powder/lemon juice instead of tuna... I have some recipes if ur interested pm me.
    oohhh the snack mix sounds good and really easy.

I really wanted to make some chocolate cookies. I'm not sure I have the time really, got like five or so hours of studying to do tonight and the potluck is tomorrow after class. I'm terrible at planning meals!! What do you think I'd need to make cookies? Chocolate/ carob chips, oats, baking powder (?), what else?

Maybe I can buy some pre-made mixes or get some nuts, seeds, and dried fruit in bulk and mix it? Not too creative.. I was hoping to impress with this one...oh well.

i have a book called Students Go Vegan Cookbook
    I haven't had a chance to really look through it, but i skimmed though it and the recipe's look pretty good.

"Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, And Tasty Vegan Recipes."
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Ooo that book sounds cool. I'll have to look into it. Thanks PxS.

no problem
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

JC

i have that book, it's ok, but i think the recipes are actually a bit too extravagent to be useful for students! plus i have problems converting the measurements from cups into grams. that said, the recipe for the granola is amazing! (although i leave out the cinnamon because i don't like it)

here's a good (and good for you) lunch that i had the other day while i was still trapped in paper-writing hell:

take a cup of quinoa, and cook as per usual, but in slightly less water because you want them to be a bit undercooked when the water is gone.

when all the water is gone, add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin of gungo/pigeon peas and maybe a dash more water. simmer for five/ten mins to finish off the quinoa.

i seasoned mine with chilli and fresh grated ginger, but garlic and onion is nice too.

tastes awesome

amanda

Ohhh that sounds good!! I just bought some quinoa a couple days ago and haven't been up for cooking, but now I think I'll have to make this! How long do you cook the quinoa and in how much water?

JC

i love cooking quinoa in vegetable stock. mmm.

One of the best quick meals is steamed vegetables (I love zucchini) over a quick grain like quinoa or couscous, but I use rice whenever I have time. Quinoa is 2:1 ratio water to grain, and it's usually only 8-10 minutes cooking (sometimes 15) which makes it great for limited time. Couscous is about the same. (The Green Kitchen Handbook is a good book to have on hand for references like this, and learning to cook new natural foods)

Tabouli from a mix can be really good. I think Fantastic or casbah make one, that you just add hot water and tomatoes, and put it in the fridge for an hour. Study or read, then you have a MASSIVE filling snack. Yum.

Stirfries from frozen or fresh veggies take no time at all. This is what we always make when we both had class, and worked until 9. If you use oil to fry, use grape seed oil as it's the healthiest to heat up, produces few harmful fumes because it has such a high burning temperature. However, it you don't want to use heated oil as all, just use some Bragg aminos (or soy sauce) and/or your favorite vinegar for it to cook in, then spice anyway you want. 10minutes max, and delicious. (I never get sick of stirfries, I can always make it mediteranian with extra vinegar, asian with extra soy sauce, or spicy with cayenne, hot sauce, and barbeque sauce!)