Thread: Pester Power / UK

Exclamation Pester Power / UK

I just had the shock of my week.... Tesco have just rung to ask why I don't shop there anymore. So I told them.....
    I won't go into all that I said but needless to say they now have sore ears due to the appling treatment of we vegans. Then to add insult to injury I told them that I now shop at sainburys ( LIE it's the coop ) the big rival.

I can't believe that they bothered... I'm in shock.
    Come to the darkside, we have cookies!

Please tell me what have tesco done to you I am being nosey now
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Big brother watching you hey! Only thing I like about Tesco is that they have started selling Redwoods cheese here and that's very useful when I can't get to the Health store. I much prefer the Coop too, it's much cheaper and lots more of their goods are animal friendly.

Aurora, as we only live a mile apart ( I can't believe it ) then I guess we must use the same one, I have never seen Redwoods in there but if they start selling that I will be close to shopping there again...

Wink

Quote snaffler
    Please tell me what have tesco done to you I am being nosey now

Just the bad labeling poor organic choice in my local one and the total lack of consideration at Xmas when the health food gets moved to a dark dusty corner to make way for easter eggs......LOL

Big Brother is here.

They'd better not try ringing me - I go ape over cold calling.

Must be the same Tescos and Coop! Can't believe it either, I thought all my friends from the forum lived miles away!

Aurora xx

PinkFluffyCloud

There have been a lot of demos against Tesco, too, recently, due to a case of mass cruelty exposed in one of their Pig farms.
    I wrote to them about it, and (amongst other crap), they wrote back that Farrowing Crates are used at their farms to 'minimise injuries' to the Piglets. Huh!!

I HATE Supermarkets, I aim never to use them again once I start growing my own crops!

Hey, how good is that - Aurora and Boomer, 1 mile apart! Lucky you two!

Yep great in a couple of weeks after me hols, tea and sticky choccy cake for us.

Agree about Tesco.......but can't grow mangos and bananas in Essex! Do grow most of our own veg and salad stuff and also managed to grow 4 melons last year! Good hey that Boomer and I live so near to each other......spooky!

PinkFluffyCloud

Yeah, I NEED Mangoes now that I have discovered what lovely juice they make!!!
    But I will find a small Greengrocer instead of a Multi-National craphouse!

When I find a good greengrocer......... Do buy my apples from a local health food shop though and they are so good!

When I lived in Hereford I used to work at an Organic Marketing company and used to take a whole box of stuff home every week. There were even farm shops on the side of the road selling organics. Now I live in Essex I am hard pushed to find any fresh organic goods

PinkFluffyCloud

My local greengrocer sells Mangoes half the price of Tesco's (39p each!!), and they are usually ripe, unlike Tesco's.
    I only use Tesco for things like Tofu (which I plan to make myself soon, anyway), and Green 'n' Blacks, which I am trying to give up now, due to my Food Problems. (I am feeling so much better now, I think I am winning at last!!).

PinkFluffyCloud

Ha, I was just thinking, what WOULD freak Boomer out is if a spokesperson from Tesco turned up here to post their side!!

We could all use this thread to share Tesco gripes, and then collectively let them know using THIS link.

My gripe would be labeling, and would mention that Co op and Sainsburys now label.

Quote gertvegan
    We could all use this thread to share Tesco gripes, and then collectively let them know using THIS link.

My gripe would be labeling, and would mention that Co op and Sainsburys now label.
    That was my main gripe, that and the poor choice for vegans in my local one, the shelves did once have Tru free on, but that was a passing phase. They did say they would send me a £5 voucher as a thankyou for moaning about them. How sweet.

PinkFluffyCloud

On the 'plus' side, they mailed me a very extensive Vegan list (of their items) once.

I got that off there WWW but the naan bread now has milk in so can you trust it, what else have they changed.

But the list can change, as and when they decide to change ingredients, for whatever reason, another gripe to let em know perhaps.

PinkFluffyCloud

Ha, they will be so glad to hear from us!!!

I used to use this list with some caution, but I don't even need it now, because I mainly eat fruit, veg, homous, home-grown 'sprouts' and mushrooms. Hell, I don't need Tesco, either!!

I don't use Tesco or any other supermarket unless I really have to, but I'm up for pestering them.

Do you think we should set up a 'Pester Power' thread on here too??
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Use this one me thinks Ivy.

Just for Tesco, or if we have any ideas on other companies who might need a gentle nudge too??

Happy to nag any company that rules us out as customers or abuses animals for profit and those that are being mean to the planet. But we could start with one and build.

PinkFluffyCloud

The Vegan Whingers!!!
    A Formidable Force!!

Okay, so we're going to try some Pester Power

This thread will be used for suggesting companies to contact via phone, post and e-mail regarding whether their products are suitable for vegan use, or to encourage better labelling, to complain if previously vegan products get 'improved' and end up non-vegan.

Companies tend to be much more likely to respond to multiple contacts coming from all over the country (hopefully even world) rather than just an individual enquiry.

Have renamed the thread to Pester Power.

Well, that's my e-mail to Tesco sent! As well as pointing out their poor labelling policy, poor selection of vegan goodies etc, I also pointed out just how many vegans they were potentially ostracising (300,000 in the UK and growing) from their stores by not having a decent labelling policy compared to their rivals Sainsburys and Co-op

i'd rather shop at the co-op, given the choice, but there just isn't one round here. i do my shopping at sainsbury's and rarely use tesco. mainly cos they are much better at labelling, and it's only quarter of a mile down the road so handy for nipping down there on me bike.

Quote Tofu Monster
    i do my shopping at sainsbury's and rarely use tesco. mainly cos they are much better at labelling,
    Exactly!!

Which is one of the reasons we are gonna Pester Power 'em!!!

Well done Ivy, with a few pesters in a small time they may get the hint.

i'm all for pestering companies but find on my own it doesn't do a lot of good. perhaps if we all do it they'll start listening to us.

we have a big Tesco's in Hove which i have been to just once - i found their "Free From" section was about as good as that in Sainsbury's or Co-op, and their own brand products in that range were labelled as being vegan, perhaps that's a Brighton thing though. i don't think any of their other food was labelled vegan. BTW i don't shop in supermarkets much anymore as i prefer to support small local business. if i need a supermarket i use the Co-op, but their shops round here aren't great and often don't have what i need anyway.

but yes we should pester away as they won't know we're here otherwise, when i read that Tesco are the biggest company in the UK now and making huge profits it's obviously not being affected by the fact that i don't shop there is it
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Pizza Express

Some of you might recall the National Vegan Pizza Express Party , that was cancelled. Well I spoke to Redwoods (who were going to supply the melting vegan cheezly etc) today. They are in talks with pizza express regarding the use of their goodies.

What would be great is if you could send pizza express an email or letter explaining how disappointed you were to learn the parties were cancelled last year, and how much you would appreciate a company like pizza express in the introduction of producing a vegan pizza. Maybe mention the volume of lactose intolerant people who would also be interested in visiting a pizza express, not just vegan. Positive and polite is the key here though.

The address is PizzaExpress Ltd, 1 Union Business Park, Florence Way, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 2LS. And the email is enquiries@pizzaexpress.com

Thanks National Vegan Pizza Express Party

Pizza Express - Done

Also had a reply back from Tesco, along the lines of thank you for your input, your suggestion has been forwarded to the relevant department for consideration at their next meeting, but we cannot guarantee that any suggestions will be implemented.

Grrr

Thanks Ivy.

Red face

For fear of being terribly hated...
    being a poor student who found it hard to get a job...
    I work part time at Tesco.

I DO hate it, and at the moment i'm trying to get a job at a vegan restaurant. Tesco suck. They pay wages regularly though.

They have inspired some of my novel i'm writing, as i work for a section called 'replenishment' or shelf stacking. I write about how each time i (my character in my book) goes to work in replenishment (not shelf stacking in my book) a small part of his soul gets left there.

My son also worked at Tesco while he was at college taking his 'A' levels, but then left when he went to University, so I couldn't possible hate you now could I? Mind you, he didn't like it either!

tails4wagging

Lucy, you are in a good position to be able to open tesco's eyes to the variety that they could stock. Can you make a list of vegan goodies that can be obtained then present it to the management and pester them!!

Quote Tofu Monster
    i'd rather shop at the co-op, given the choice, but there just isn't one round here.
    There's a co-op superstore where I live, but it has the most pitiful fruit and veg section you've ever seen, and the veggie and vegan range is pretty poor for such a large store. Half of the store is taken up with electrical goods and clothing, so you can't buy any decent organic veg, but you can buy a washing machine and a pair of jeans A couple of things in the co-op's favour are the clear labeling of products that are suitable for vegans and a good fair trade range.

They're not too bad considering its only a small Tesco. They stock soya milk and tofu, veggie mince and soya 'dream', also vegan yogurt and they have quite a wide range in their frozen veggie/quorn section.
    I think there's more chance getting the bigger stores to stock variety. Smaller ones just go for basics.

Default Asda - non veggie 'veggie' goods

asda (uk) have goods labeled
    suitable for veggies but they contain caramine = crushed beetles

despite many groups complaining they promised to stop this but no changes have been made.

also they state bakery products are veggie but some have smarties
    on them - also non veggie.

pll are buying these thinking they are veggie but they are not

please email them to complain

thanks

Gibby

Default Re: Asda - non veggie 'veggie' goods

To be honest i would avoid ASDA at all costs! They are ownwd by 'Wall Mart', a USA based company that constantly violates human rights issues (such as minimum wage etc) as well as other international laws. Whilst they may have a good selecton of 'cheap' organic vegetables & fruit and a 'so-called' range of vegan friendly food items they are cleraly not in the business of fostering trust with their shoppers.
    Remember this: To ASDA you are porofit and nothing else. Never trust anything they say unless you see it with your own eyes (and there are manty testifying to say they wish they hadn't)!!
    Also, they are actively driving down the cost of organic produce so we will soon see competition between unethical marketed/produced organic food and 'true' food as we know it - something I never thought i'sd see in my lifetime, let alone my daughters!!!!!!!