Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegusto

Default Re: Vegusto?

Vegan 3 years. Do miss cheese but haven't liked the ones I tried so far (redwoods, tofutti, bute island, cheezely and various attempts from uncheese cookbook)
    But vegusto, for me, hits the cheesy spot
    The texture is odd and I feel I can taste the potato, but it has the right umami savouriness.
    I tried piquant, mild and melty (which was reminiscent of dairy lea, which I didn't used to like, but I liked this)
    I didn't find any of them good cooked, but they were great on crackers, with salad ,in pitta etc. I ate one pack as just slices in a frenzy of 'ohmygodthisislikecheesebutdidntcausehorriblesuffe ring' stuffing!
    Mmmmm
    Will get more when they have their uk store set up

Same here, vegan for 3 years and never missed cheese (even though I once was one of those vegetarians who think they can't live without it).
    However, I order some Vegusto (melty and piquant) with my winter boots from Alternative Store because this thread got me curious and I was hoping to find something that would make my significant omnivore happy I loved both types. I made a Parmigiana (baked aubergines with tomato sauce and cheese, a dish I used to love and haven't eaten since) and I swear I couldn't tell the difference. It was quite the moving moment :P I also made a calzone pizza with it yesterday and was very happy with the result. My boyfriend admitted that the piquant one tastes quite like cheese, but for some reason he really hates the aftertaste.
    So yeah, it's an 8 out of 10 from me and probably a 4 for him, but it was an interesting experiment
    On a side note, Alternative Stores should change the delivery company they use. I'll try to remember to drop them a line about it!

Quote Loss View Post
    On a side note, Alternative Stores should change the delivery company they use.
    They should also start sending things in cold packaging - every time I order "cheese" it just comes in a Jiffy Envelope

Vegusto have now launched a UK website! http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/ Alongside the cheeses they also do some mock meats. I tried one of their "steaks" (not on offer at the moment in the UK, but more in keeping with a French diet) while living in Paris. It was pretty good. I imagine the rest of their stuff is probably also quite tasty. I am generally indifferent to mock meats; I mostly prefer other things, but do find them useful for making vegan food accessible to omnis. So I may order some of these at some point. If anyone tries anything from this store, let us know what's good!
    Live and let live

Ouch, I just spotted the shipping costs. Cheapest option is £7.19 for up to 30 kilos. So probably only worth it if you want a LOT of their stuff, or want to persuade your local healthfood store to start selling their products (ooh, that gives me an idea!)...
    Live and let live

Thanks for posting this, it would be good if you want to get 6 months supply or something, it does freeze well after all!

Thumbs up Vegusto UK

Has everyone seen the new Vegusto UK website?

Default Re: Vegusto UK

I have now thanks. Interesting but not the sort of Vegan food that I like, I've never been that keen on the alternatives to meat and cheese type products.

Wish I could say the same, I love processed stuff that's really bad for me, but I do stay away from it as much as possible. Might treat myself to some vegusto for Christmas!

Quote KayJay View Post
    Wish I could say the same, I love processed stuff that's really bad for me, but I do stay away from it as much as possible. Might treat myself to some vegusto for Christmas!
    I've been a Vegan for over twenty years so I don't miss what I haven't tasted for so longer in fact I try to avoid Vegan products that I think will have the texture or taste of their animal based equivalent although of course I now have very little memory of this now.

Quote KayJay View Post
    Might treat myself to some vegusto for Christmas!
    For Christmas, they have some special products, e.g. a "roast" that I had last year. It was not really cheap, but really good.

Best regards,
    Andy

Default Re: Vegusto

Having previously eaten healthy Vegan convenience food I've now gone back to preparing meals from the raw ingredients I reduce the time that this can take by making enough to last me over a number of days it costs less and it sure tastes better.

We do prepare most of our meals from first principles but (even after 17-18 years of being vegan) I sometimes like to have fake cheese etc for a change and I've found Vegusto as good as or better than most of its competitors - think it reflects its Swiss origins because it tastes a bit like Swiss cheese AFAICR. I don't need a hundredweight at a time though so I get it from Alternative Stores where the postage is a bit less.

They have a special offer on for vegan month - free shipping to UK mainland on orders over £30. Does anyone know if the products can be frozen?

Yep, they can be!

Awesome! May be worth investing for special occasions then!

It is a shame about the high price of the Vegusto cheeses. They are by far the best I have tried since going vegan, I was suprised how similar it tastes to dairy cheese. I had found other vegan cheeses to have quite an unpleasant after taste.

The piquant goes down very nicely with a glass of port

Out of curiosity, how do the prices compare with dairy cheese? (It's been a while since I bought that, it was probably about a groat back then )

BTW I think Vegusto have reduced the shipping costs on their UK website.

I took a look out of curiosity and cheap cheeses are about a fifth of the price and expensive ones about half the price.

Shame it's not more comparable. They did reduce their shipping costs. I asked them if they could do a bulk discount on a group order I was making. They offered 10% off for orders over £120 (alot of cheese)

Met the Vegusto guys at the Norwich Veggie Fayre last month and sampled ALL their cheeses and sausages. Apart from Vegusto making the best vegan cheese I've ever tried the guy's who came along where extremely friendly, helpful and a good laugh. The impression I got was this is a company to look out for, think "Innocent" as in smoothies but with more of a selection of products and just as chilled in their outlook and business manner. Good luck Vegusto and yes, I bought loads!!!

I had a bulk order of cheeses and slicing sausages etc a while back, and stuck them all in the freezer. They seem to freeze just fine without changing taste or texture.
    Now that I've had them all a few times I can say that I still think the cheeses are very good, but the sausage are a bit variable. Most of them are extremely rubbery unless you cook them, but then they improve a lot. I don't think I'll be buying them again though, as they seem to be rather plain compared (say) to the fry's polony (which I think is fantastic).
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

For those of you who may sometimes go to Birmingham the One Earth Vegan shop is now from yesterday stocking Vegusto - well a smaller range to begin with. They have 4 cheese products in - Piquant, Mildly Aromatic, Melty and the Cheese sauce, all around £4.99 each. They will get regular delivery but you can phone or message on facebook to pre order (you may need to pay in advance if not known to them) then your order will be saved in the fridge until you collect (saves a waster trip) Might be nice to combine with lunch at the Warehouse cafe? I got a few blocks yesterday and this will suit me as I'm in Brum every 2-3 weeks so can just get what I need and not have postage costs or the need for someone to be in to sign for a parcel!

I spoke to Vegusto yesterday, asking about cooking instructions for their roast.
    Basically it just needs to warm through, so 10-20 mins at 160c will do it. If you leave it longer it can be basted with olive oil or gravy to prevent it drying out.

Also, they are updating their website in the near future and will include instructional cooking videos.

That's good Grandall, thanks. I haven't tried their roast yet but maybe I will as I like their other stuff (though my cats weren't too struck with the cat food - have any other cats tried that?).

I think I once tried to watch some videos on their main website but they were in Swiss German which is quite hard to understand even if you know a bit of German - of course you could see roughly what they were doing though

Quote alisont View Post
    For those of you who may sometimes go to Birmingham the One Earth Vegan shop is now from yesterday stocking Vegusto - well a smaller range to begin with. They have 4 cheese products in - Piquant, Mildly Aromatic, Melty and the Cheese sauce, all around £4.99 each. They will get regular delivery but you can phone or message on facebook to pre order (you may need to pay in advance if not known to them) then your order will be saved in the fridge until you collect (saves a waster trip) Might be nice to combine with lunch at the Warehouse cafe? I got a few blocks yesterday and this will suit me as I'm in Brum every 2-3 weeks so can just get what I need and not have postage costs or the need for someone to be in to sign for a parcel!
    Cheers for that, handy to stop there on way back to Moor St Station after stocking up on Tofu, soy sauce etc at Day In (they have now started accepting debit cards as well)!

It's a pity the Health Food shop in Stourbridge doesn't stock Vegusto or Vegourmet.

Just been into the Health Food shop in Stourbridge (Victoria Passage) and had a chat with the nice lady that runs it.

She's hoping to start stocking Vegusto in the near future, but has to make quite a big order.
    She's also getting a freezer installed, so hopefully will be able to expand her stock.

So Stourbridge vegans won't have to go all the way to *that* Birmingham to stock up in future - hurrah!

Tell your chums and support this fine enterprise!

For anyone around Cambridge, "Arjuna" on Mill Rd, now have it. I didn't see the blue cheese version, quite a few of the others, meat slices, rude looking sausages etc. (also if you go a few shops down to the tiny booze shop on the corner you can get some nice Vegan Sam Smiths too)

Luuuurrrvvveee them two shops!

In fact, gotta love Mill Road.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

You can also buy load of Vegusto products at V Revolution in Manchester now - http://www.facebook.com/vrevolutionuk I think the 'cheeses' are pretty yum, and I'm a fan of anything vegan and yum! I've only tried the herbed sausages but they were also very yum....
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Hi,
    if you want to know what are the stores which sell vegusto products, just check here:

http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/stores

I tried the piquant cheese and the sausages and they were definitively delicious.

Hi folks! I bought a twin-pack of No-moo melty at the Animal Aid fayre last weekend and am hoping to use some of it on a pizza this weekend. The only problem is that I don't really know what to do, because I've never put cheese on a pizza before. (I've been vegan since I was a kid and never liked the other vegan cheeses enough to stick them on a pizza.) I'm guessing I just grate it over the pizza - is that right? I'm cooking for vegan friends and don't want to make a complete hash of it! Help!
    Live and let live

IMO it might be hard to grate because it's a bit sort of rubbery - I normally cut it into very thin slices and I suspect this would be a good approach for pizza. I would put it over the tomato sauce and under the other toppings - sorry if that's stating the obvious

Quote rainbow View Post
    I'm cooking for vegan friends and don't want to make a complete hash of it!
    Aye, you don't want to be doing that!!

How to lose friends 101
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I've found it grates fine (but can't advise on how it works best on pizza).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks for the advice all! (Except you Gwydion: no pizza for you if you carry on like that!!!)
    Live and let live

Using vegan cheese on Pizza - hmm, there's the "general advice" that often helps:

1) Put the tomato sauce on the dough
    2) grate the vegan cheese directly on the tomato sauce
    3) cover the vegan cheese with veggies - i.e. thinly sliced tomatoes work fine.

That way, it does not dry out and melts somehow. If you put the no-moo melty on top, it will become hard and dry instead of soft and melty.
    If you put it under the tomatoes, it melts nicely normally. Also the suggested way to use Wilmersburger Pizzaschmelz (The "German Daiya" ) and Teese.

Best regards,
    Andy

^ Thank you - that's really helpful advice. Otherwise I would have put the cheese on top, and the images I've seen show it looking rather dry, so that would have been a mistake. I'd offer you all a slice of pizza in gratitude if I could!
    Live and let live

Rainbow, enjoy your pizza! Too bad I am in Germany, otherwise I'd think about dropping by for the promised slice...

Another piece of advice ... when using no-moo cheese, I normally also grate a little bit of the "piquant" (which does not melt by itself, but when you mix it with the "melty") for taste...

And ... when you make not only one pizza, but maybe several, you might consider making also a "Calzone" as suggested earlier in this thread ... the vegan cheese might melt even better in there. Must try that once myself, I used to love vegetarian Calzone pizzas when I was still eating cheese. Funny I never thought of making one myself yet.

Best regards,
    Andy

Thanks all for the advice!
    I used small slices rather than grating it (it did seem too soft to grate, and the new packaging means that the tube is quite narrow which also makes grating harder). I added mushrooms, green peppers and Wheaty gran chorizo, and it was a big hit, even with the omnis! Putting the no-moo under rather than over the other toppings was a good tip - it retained its moisture and was delicious. So thanks folks - I'll be making this again soon!
    Andy T - as a first-timer, I didn't add any piquant (didn't have any) and didn't experiment with calzones, but these are definitely ideas to explore for future occasions!
    Live and let live

Sounds as if you cracked it rainbow! Glad it was popular.

I usually have pizza without any cheese, which is fine as long as you have plenty of other stuff on it, but I might give your idea a whirl.

Rainbow, great to hear your pizza worked out!

So, as you gave me the idea, I did the Calzone myself on the weekend, and - while I used some of the "Wilmersburger Pizzaschmelz", cheese is not really needed when you have a good recipe.

Best regards,
    Andy

I'm completely happy, there are selling vegusto products in a shop now in Exeter!!
    For those who live here, is in Seasons: http://www.seasons4food.co.uk/
    I've just had the blue cheese style in my salad and it was lush! and tonight, l'll have the sausages, what a pleasure

Blue cheese style Vegusto cheese? Which one do you mean? Haven't seen that one on the website.

I also had the No-Moo Due, the Fondue during the Christmas holiday, and it was wonderful.
    Yes, it was "thinner" than dairy fondue, but I found it delicious. As my family is omni, we actually had 2 fondues, the No-Moo vegan variety and the non-vegan.
    My poor big son preferred the dairy fondue, and he threw up viciously in the night (too much fat most likely).

Best regards,
    Andy

Hi, it was hard but l found a reference:

http://plantgoodness24.ie/categories...d/Vegusto.html

I think they manage to get the flavour really well, it is not as tasty as the real one, but of course l prefer this one instead! Hope you can try it, let me know.

Best wishes

Ah, thank you , Jara ... the one that your seller is referring to as "blue cheese" taste is actually the "classic" (mild) that I know well.

Be sure to also try out the "piquant/spicy/rezent" variety ... it tastes much stronger (and IMO better - if you like garlic) ... like a well-aged dairy cheese, e.g. Gruyere or Appenzell (a mature Cheddar would be a possible UK equivalent)

Best regards,
    Andy

I don't know if l understand very well... sorry! In the label it said "blue cheese", it is that aswell known as "classic"? I thought I've already tried the classic one, but I'm very scatered-minded so it could be another...
    And, yes!, l know the piquant, is scrumy Little by little l'll try all of them.
    All the best!