Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegusto

Default Vegusto

Has anyone tried this yet? They have some in at Vx in London, and I'm hoping to pick some up next week (assuming it's still in stock!)

Default Re: Vegusto?

I'd never heard of it before I read this! I guess from where you've put the message it's about the fake cheese though I see they also do fake meat (including pet food!)?

Please let us know what it's like if you get some.

If you can get it in the UK, by all means try it out!!!

Vegusto's 'No-Moo-Cheese' in the 'strong/spicy' variety is the ONLY vegan cheese I have tasted so far that was very close to 'real' cheese, and tasty one to that. It has a very nice garlic tang to it and I would compare the taste with a spicy 'Gruyere' or 'Appenzell' Swiss cheese. If you are a vampire or otherwise opposed to garlic, then it might not be for you, as the garlic is vital for that spicy taste. It does not melt and the consistency is a bit too hard (crumbles easily), but the taste is most amazing IMO.

It was among the first batch of vegan cheese alternative I tried out. The package contained 'Pural Cheezly', 'Bute Island Sheese' and the 'No-Moo spicy'. To make a long story short, half of the 'Cheezly' got thrown away, as it sat about a month in my refrigerator before it went moldy. The Sheese got eaten, because it was obviously not as delicate as the Cheezly, it also sat in my fridge for nearly a month. The 'No-Moo' was finished on the day the delivery arrived, even my omni wife (who was very sceptical about the idea of buying vegan cheese) devoured it.

I have since that also tried the 'normal' version of their cheese, it is ok, but very much like other run-of-the-mill vegan cheese alternatives, definitely not as good as the 'spicy'. That is really a special cheese IMO. They also have one called 'Melty' (you get the picture), but I have not tried that yet.

Best regards,
    Andy

OMG - they do Currywurst??!! And SO many other lovely things!! Thank you for posting about this
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I think it would actually be fairly easy to make one's own currywurst using vegan sausages such as those Taifun ones from Waitrose. I've had vegan currywurst in Germany a couple of times and it seemed to be ordinary vegan sausages with a sauce made out of curry powder and ketchup or something like that I'm sure Andy can tell us more!

I think I may have seen some of those Vegusto products in Wholefoods but there again I may be imagining it. Their full range looks quite impressive. They also have cookery videos in German which I ought to watch to improve my German but the one I tried was quite difficult.

I know - I just get excited about discovering new products I'll have a quick look in Wholefoods when I'm next that way.

Sorry, yes, it vegan cheese I'm interested in. They made some mock meats though as well (all vegan). Here's their UK page: http://www.vegusto.co.uk/

Will post back if I ever get to try some.

Quote harpy View Post
    I think it would actually be fairly easy to make one's own currywurst using vegan sausages such as those Taifun ones from Waitrose. I've had vegan currywurst in Germany a couple of times and it seemed to be ordinary vegan sausages with a sauce made out of curry powder and ketchup or something like that I'm sure Andy can tell us more!
    Haha, indeed. Although I am not sure I am the right person to comment on Currywurst, as I have only tasted the vegan version, never the 'real stuff'.

Basically it is fried sausage covered with a spicy ketchup sauce and curry powder. Rumour has it that it was invented by a creative Berlin snack restaurant owner who wanted to offer something to British and American officers after the war, so she put ketchup (for the Americans) and Curry (for the Brits) over the (German) sausage. Basically a great way to cover up the vegan-ness of the fake sausage ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

But, I would guess that homemade curry sausage (preparing the sausage and then adding homemade curry ketchup and powder) would be better than something that was in a tin/plastic bag for a long time. But again, I only know that one.

Thanks, Andy. I quite liked it when I had it but I'm not sure I would want to make a habit of it. I think it was actualy the sauce I had reservations about rather than the sausage, but as you say you can't really taste that

Yes a curried sausage would be a different proposition altogether. I wonder what a good way of serving that would be? Maybe they have a video recipe about that on their website too. (Am having trouble understanding their demonstrator, who I think is Swiss, so was pleased when a German teacher (from Germany) told me that she had trouble understanding Swiss German as well.)

Harpy, look here: Unfortunately not a video recipe:
    http://seitanismymotor.com/2010/03/05/curryw/

There was an interesting TV documentary a few months ago in Germany, where they were presenting (like always in recent time) vegan food to a wider audience. One of the pieces showed a fast food place, where they substituted the meat sausages with vegan sausages and the cook served them as currywurst to the patrons. They did not notice it, did not complain, and when they asked one of them specifically how the sausage was, he really praised it like 'THIS is how a currywurst needs to take, that is what I need to have every day ..."

(OK, I am a bit wary about TV 'documentary' producers scripting the 'unaides responses' of their participants, but still..)

Best regards,
    Andy

That looks lush, Andy_T. And, if you felt positive about that documentary, then that's good. Don't try to discredit it!

Going to try making me some currywurst soon

The stuff looks so good on that site. I'll be going to Vx soon - haven't been before - so I hope I can pick up a Vegusto treat or two!

I have made my own curry sausage (the second time I ever ate it) by putting the Branston hot chili and jalapeno relish (that was mentioned in the other thread just yesterday, what a coincidence) on some vegan fried sausages. Not the same (I did not even have curry), but quite nice (and quite spicy).

Best regards,
    Andy

Yay for spicy sausages, however they acquired their spiciness.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    One of the pieces showed a fast food place, where they substituted the meat sausages with vegan sausages and the cook served them as currywurst to the patrons. They did not notice it, did not complain, and when they asked one of them specifically how the sausage was, he really praised it like 'THIS is how a currywurst needs to take, that is what I need to have every day ..."
    Can you remember whether the told them that it was a vegan sausage at the end? If so, how did they react?

If its any use to anyone, Redwood sell Curry Sausages.
    You can get them from Goodnessdirect http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...ages_180g.html

You can also buy Viana Currywurst from Veggiestuff http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/...tofu_king.html

That's interesting Firestorm - will investigate those, though I am hoping to go to Germany again before too long so must be careful not to take the edge off my desire for currywurst

Ive just bought some No Moo cheese & it really tastes like really cheese. It melts too just like the real stuff.
    I did try to order it from vegusto but they send it from Switzerland and its very expensive on the shipping.

My partner found it available in the UK online and the delivery is standard price
    http://www.alternativestores.com/eth...e/cat_396.html

The piquant is my favourite but the herb cheese is also very nice. The melty is good too and if you leave it our of the fridge you can spread it on bread/toast/crackers

Very nice

That's an interesting link, jj, not only for the fake cheese. For example, I see they have vegan ballet shoes which is something I'm sure people have asked about before.

I got some of each from Alternative Stores and the Melty is amazing with crackers. The original is good too. In fact, none of it lasts long and the rescue chickens here had to have my remaining cheezly

I ordered some of this pseudo-cheese from Alternative Stores too - they didn't have all the kinds in stock (seem to have restocked now) so I ended up with 3 different ones, one of which I've given away.

Of the others I've tried the snack squares which I must say taste very authentic as far as I can remember after 17-odd cheese-free years! They are a bit sort of dried up though - like cheese rind? Maybe I shouldn't have ordered them during the heat wave Will report back when I've tried the remaining one.

jj thanks for that link. We just scored 3 kinds this week from Vx.

I thought the melty was gnarly, but the man liked in on his pizza and on bread. He thought it was fab.

The dezent (sorta mild) was the best tasting I thought, but the classic had a better texture. I really don't think anyone could distinguish the classic from a dairy cheese. Looking forward to trying some of the sharper varieties, as I loved orange cheese back in the day.

Oh good, I think the one I have left apart from the remaining "rind" squares is the "dezent" one. At the risk of re-opening old wounds how did you think the melty one compared with the melting versions of Cheezly? I see farplace likes this one better...

I think we've only had the melty Cheezly once maybe, and aside from the no-soya Cheezly, I didn't like any of them. This one was not completely repulsive, but I'd not buy it again if it weren't for the man. I'll have to give him a poke to come and post in here, as he's much more of a vegan cheese connoisseur than am I.

I'm not really a big fan of vegan "cheese" either refinnej - even though I quite liked this one, it mostly made me think "why am I bothering with this stuff instead of proper food"?

I do occasionally like to use the melty Cheezly in cooking though, e.g. slice thinly on top of leftover veg and pasta and shove in oven (not sure we should really dignify that process with the name "cooking" )

I quite like Vegan cheese and I really want to buy some of this, but my job situation is a bit dodgy and the moment and I cant afford to spend money on it (it is quite expensive compared to redwoods which doesn't taste great).

At the moment, I mix some soya yogurt with nutritional yeast and grated Cheezly or Sheese and this fulfills my cravings.

I thought the walnut vegusto was very tasty although as it is almost 20 years since I've had dairy cheese I can't say how convincingly cheese-like it is - but my veggie cheese-loving o/h thought it tasted like dairy cheese. I got mine from Vx and I think it was £5.20 or something like that so if you are buying enough to make the postage worth it it is cheaper online.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I just bought a roll of Vegusto Melty at Vx yesterday. Can't wait to try it!

how good is it? its going to come to almost £15 for two cheeses delivered, im not sure i miss cheese that much, or at all really....

Im told your local health food store can get it it all trade from Alt Stores as they are bringing it all into the UK now & supplying selected firms
    Im really getting addicted to vegusto no moo now, it really tastes so good and about to try the vegan meats

Could this be the big thing to help veggies go vegan?

I have had a steady supply of No Moo cheese from the Loving Hut in Paris for the past few months, and was panicking about what to do once I got back to the UK - thank goodness for this thread! I was going to beg Vx to stock it but it appears they are already doing so, although at the rate I wish to eat it, getting it from Alternative Stores or maybe even direct might be a better plan. I have never much cared for vegan cheese - in fact, I've always said that it was one of the few things you couldn't get a decent vegan alternative to (along with meringue). I never much cared for Cheezly, melted vegan cheese makes me feel a bit sick, and I'll happily eat a bit of Sheese now and then but find it isn't quite nice enough to justify the fat content.
    But the No Moo cheese from Vegusto is a whole different ball game. It is delicious! Whereas with other vegan "cheeses" I might put them in a sandwich or similar, No Moo is so good that I eat it all by itself. I get through about a packet a week, which is unheard of for me. I love it. I can't recommend it highly enough. My favourite by a long way is the Classic. I bought the herb one once when they didn't have the classic - it was quite good, but as soon as I could get more classic I went back to that and never finished the herb one. I also bought the piquant one for my brother, which had a great taste but a rather crumbly texture. I would be keen to try the melty and squares versions.
    So happy that Vegusto has made it to the UK and that this amazing discovery can become a permanent feature of my life!
    Live and let live

Wow, if that's not a praising review, I don't know what is.

Must get around to sampling some of this stuff!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Hel View Post
    how good is it? its going to come to almost £15 for two cheeses delivered, im not sure i miss cheese that much, or at all really....
    It really is that good.
    Its a bit daft just buying two blocks & paying the delivery charge. Much better to either get quite abit for the price or go for the free delivery option.
    Im told the stuff does freeze perfectly but it nerv lasts that long in our house

Considering its a "cool" delivery the price ain't bad. We pay much higher courier costs for our business

jj

Must admit I did like the Dezent one - reminded me a bit of Emmenthaler (sp) or something like that?

Am not sure about re-ordering from Alternative Stores in warm weather as they just sent it in an ordinary padded envelope, which may have contributed to the dried-up-ness of the squares. Might have to venture north of the river to Vx.

Yes the squares are a bit funny and are a bit dry though.

Perhaps I will just skip the squares...the other one was fine.

It says on the packet that it can survive up to 48 hours without refrigeration - not that I'm recommending it, but it isn't comparable to dairy cheese in terms of how perishable it is.
    Live and let live

I have caved in and ordered some (Piquant and Original, along with some liquor sweets, choc peanuts, sosamix and trainers). Now I'll just have to wait for them to arrive...

'lo Firestorm,

keep us updated! My guess is that you will like them...

Best regards,
    Andy

Thanks for that link JJ! I thought I'd try a couple of types...but the basket price just kept going up and up and up (various cheese, marshmallows - can never resist those!) and in the end I thought I'd better just keep myself in check and wait until I next visit Vx!

What did you make of the piquant one, Firestorm?

I only received the order yesterday (not alternative stores fault - I ordered shoes at the same time, which means it takes them longer to dispatch the parcel) so I haven't tried either of them yet, but they will probably be gone in the next month (I've got a ton of other food to get through first, but I'm itching to open these) so will post my thoughts soon.

If you are a member of Viva, Alternative stores give you a 20% discount on all orders over £30 (excluding certain shoes), I forgot to use it this time but I wont be forgetting next time.

I just opened the original, to be quite honest I wasn't that impressed. It was a bit Garlicky and tasted like a weaker version of Redwoods Blue style (which is a lot cheaper).
    I dont think that I would buy this one again, but I am going to try it in scones, cold lasagna and something hot as well so I may change my mind if one of them turns out well

I tried these at the vegfest in Bristol last weekend. I thought they were halfway between Sheese (Bute Island stuff) and redwoods. I like the Sheese but not the redwoods (too fake tasting). In all a very interesting taste. The aromatic was probably the favourite I tried - like a medium cheddar (as far as I recall).
    When I can get my hands on some, I will be buying it.
    I note from their website that they do loads of good stuff (sausages etc) in europe, but very little in the UK yet.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Firestorm, how did you like the 'Spicy/Rezent' one?

I guess if you don't like garlic, it will be a challenge, otherwise for me it is really the best vegan cheese substitute thing I have come across. (even better than Daiya)

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote Andy_T View Post

I guess if you don't like garlic, it will be a challenge, otherwise for me it is really the best vegan cheese substitute thing I have come across. (even better than Daiya)

Best regards,
    Andy
    I haven't tried the Spicy one yet (is that also known as the Piquant one?), I'm opening the piquant next Friday or Saturday. I know this is sad but because I have so much food in the house (I get big deliveries online to save money) I have had to start planning what I am going to eat weeks in advance so nothing goes off.

I did like the classic (I love garlic - that was supposed to be a plus point for it!!), I just found it expensive when there is something that taste similar cheaper.
    What I can say is that I tried freezing it - last week I made a Knish using 3 different frozen soya cheeses and the Vegusto was the one that survived the freezer best.

If anyone is interested in the Saturated Fat content/salt content of their cheeses I did email them and got a polite, but not really useful reply.

It looks like there are more proper vegan cheeses coming to the UK very shortly.
    I got a sneak sample of some english vegan cheeses which Im told will go live before the end of the year.
    The ones I tried were a chedder, which was very nice and similar to the vegusto cheese in texture & feel. From what I remember it tasted like proper dairy chedder & Im told it will melt & can be used for cooking.
    There was also a soft spreadable cheese that will come in a few flavours & it was better than the toffuti.
    There was another, a very crumbly white cheese. Im not sure what it was supposed to be as its so long but very nice too.
    There are also others in the pipeline to match edam, a proper blue cheese, a liquid cheese etc

We do need more choice in vegan cheese in the UK & I think these guys have got it right

Quote Andy_T View Post

Best regards,
    Andy
    I opened the piquant this morning and I loved it, I think it tastes just like strong mature cheddar (bit like Cathedral City).
    Its now one of my favourite vegan cheeses.

Hello Chris,

I am really glad you liked it !

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote jj View Post
    It looks like there are more proper vegan cheeses coming to the UK very shortly.
    I got a sneak sample of some english vegan cheeses which Im told will go live before the end of the year.
    The ones I tried were a chedder, which was very nice and similar to the vegusto cheese in texture & feel. From what I remember it tasted like proper dairy chedder & Im told it will melt & can be used for cooking.
    There was also a soft spreadable cheese that will come in a few flavours & it was better than the toffuti.
    There was another, a very crumbly white cheese. Im not sure what it was supposed to be as its so long but very nice too.
    There are also others in the pipeline to match edam, a proper blue cheese, a liquid cheese etc

We do need more choice in vegan cheese in the UK & I think these guys have got it right
    JJ, that sounds really interesting!

Wow, a real vegan blue cheese, that would be something...

Best regards,
    Andy

Hello everyone, I just got an email from Alternative stores with a message regarding Vegusto:

"Sadly the price of Vegusto Vegan Cheese is rising by a min of 15%.
    Once the current stock is gone the increase will take place.
    We do apologise about this but it is out of our control due to rising costs.
    Order yours now before the price increase."

Boooooooooo. Thanks for the heads-up Firestorm.
    Live and let live

Well, most likely the UK pound going down against the Swiss Franc, possibly the last stable currency in Europe ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy