Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with using dairy products?

There is a poster up at the food court at the hospital I work at - it is on a board that is supposed to provide nutritional information. It says "Women need three serves of dairy a day" or something like that, and every time I walk past it, I just want to tear it down. It makes my mad that something sponsored by dairy corporations would be hung up in a hospital as "nutritional information"!!!

PinkFluffyCloud

I would have to sneak in and graffiti an extra line or two in addition to that message, Cranky!

julieruble

See The Horrors of Dairy thread to see why dairy does harm animals.

Quote animalsvoice
    Neither do I.. But why do people ("vegetarians") keep drinking milk etc? Most people think this article is a joke or something, and we need lots of calcium... I don't think so, but I don't know either. I just find what they're saying in the article very probable.
    It's the millions of dollars spent each year by the dairy industry that keep people drinking milk. Honestly, people are brainwashed!

Quote phillip888
    Well, the 'protein' isn't really the reason, it's a pH imbalance (although dairy and dead animals have all sorts of other negative health issues). The human digestive system can't deal with the acidic nature of dairy or dead animal flesh. It's not discussed often, but the human stomach and digestive system is only good at neutralizing plant acids, and the human body has a pH in line with other fruit and succulent vegetable consuming herbivores (7.4). When you eat a highly acidic diet like one with animal products, grains, and refined sugar, your body spends massive amounts of calcium trying to equalize your blood pH. This never really stops with people who consume dialy meals with animal products, so osteoporosis is a result. If you eat a highly acidic vegetarian diet (say tons of sugars and grains), then you will not only suffer a similar fate, but will also suffer from malnutrition like most dead animal eaters. Of course it's impossible to eat an alkaline cadaver and pus dominated diet, where it's really easy to eat an alkaline plant based diet.

Anyway...

I've heard that salt and soda and lots of proteins are causes of bone loss, but I've never heard about grains and refined sugar. Can you explain?

I do not think there is any reason that humans should or can legitmise the drinking of milk BUT I thin fully skimmed milk is not unhealthy and is indeed a good source of protein BUT the milk industry has hyped it up into this amazing health product which it isnt. There are no health benefits that milk provides that cant be obtained from other sources and milk is not perfect for human consumption as it is designed for cows. Thus nutritionally as part of healthy and varied diet it does no harm but it should not be relied upon exclusively. The vegan alternatives are way healthier and whats more ethical and seldom lead to allergies...

PinkFluffyCloud

I think Cow's milk is unhealthy for anyone but a Cow!

lol @ cowpie
    I'm wondering the same thing too.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote julieruble
    See The Horrors of Dairy thread to see why dairy does harm animals.
    Doesn't that make *you* wanna go Vegan, then , Julie???????????

Quote GwynneVeg
    I've heard that salt and soda and lots of proteins are causes of bone loss, but I've never heard about grains and refined sugar. Can you explain?
    It sounds to me like the acidic/alkaline diet he's talking about. It's a nice concept, but I'm not going to eat eggs or whey just because they're alkaline.

I posted this once before and I'll post it again. Here's a chart of acidic/alkaline foods incase anyone's interested.

Default Re: Cow milk

I think that if one has a house, some land and a cow, and is and looking after that cow with love and protection (until that cow dies of a natural death) and the owner of the cow decides that he or she wants milk and is willing to look after the calf as well as the cow threw sickness and health then one should take some milk for his endeavor. The cows should not be treated like machines and killed at the age of 4. If you want milk then treat the cow like your mother and protect her tell she dies naturally. Don't take the cheap way out and buy dairy from the store. Produce milk from your own protected cow.
    This is not a vegan diet , but a good start for vegetarians . Note to all vegetarians consider going conditional vegan (wich means to only have milk from protected cows. Because if one just gets dairy from the store then one is associated with the killing of that cow, as 100% of dairy cows are killed for beef). Im just saying that not all people are going to give up all milk and dairy products. A good step for all those who have gone vegetarian would be to only take milk from protected cows this is a great start. Other wise one should question why one is vegetarian.

Cow's milk has no place in the vegan diet.

Or any diet for that matter.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Quote vegancrusaders
    I think that if one has a house, some land and a cow, and is and looking after that cow with love and protection (until that cow dies of a natural death) and the owner of the cow decides that he or she wants milk and is willing to look after the calf as well as the cow threw sickness and health then one should take some milk for his endeavor

If you want milk then treat the cow like your mother and protect her tell she dies naturally. Don't take the cheap way out and buy dairy from the store. Produce milk from your own protected cow.
    Its still exploitation vegancrusaders.

Follow the vegan diet.
    Don't you mean vegetarian diet ??

Why do I have that rescued hens eggs feeling

Suzulan

I did not visit this forum for least 2-3 months but today I checked message of Vegancrusaders, KivaDancer.
    Yes, if people are calling themselves humane and civilized, these people have no business of keep eating dairy(and eggs of course).
    If cows are kept as companion animal and calves are kept until they die from old age, I don't get too upset but there are very few people who have this kind of love and respect for farm animals.
    You will never guess how I get angry with dairy eaters who are eating these products with or without knowing DIRTY SECRET OF DAIRY FARMS.
    Sometimes I wish God is going to send special disease to all farm animals who were born as food animals and let these animals to die instantly without any suffering to escape this sickening hell called factory farms and horror of slaughterhouses!!!
    People think mad cow disease is rare and there is no reason to fear but these people don't know about how other species of wild animals are getting different form of mad cow diseases.
    Human form of mad cow disease is not called mad cow disease and many people who might have human form of mad cow disease are misdiagnosed.

People if you want other people to boycott dairy products, please display www.notmilk.com on your bumpersticker.
    You will never guess how many people you can reach without much effort when every time you drive your car.

Question How to explain "no milk"?

I wonder at times how to explain to an omni or a lacto-vegetarian what's so bad about consuming dairy. I understand the health aspects, but I want to go beyond that - I want to engender an understanding of why it would be wrong even if cow's milk were the healthiest thing in the world for humans to consume.

I also know all the arguments regarding how they are treated in the factory farms, but then I always get the story of "when I was young, I lived on/near/within 1000 miles of a farm, and the cows were all well treated, their calves weren't taken away, and they would be in pain if they weren't milked" (the latter is, of course, a whole other discussion). So I am left wondering, if all dairy farming went back to the way it used to be, and in fact still is in the Swiss Alps, for example, what is wrong with it? I understand the intrinsic wrongness, I just seem to have difficulties explaining them to other (seemingly) reasonable people.

So here are the arguments I have (though they all seem quite ineffective when talking to your average dairy consumer):

• Cow's milk is for calves.
    • You are stealing that milk from the cow.
    • Keeping cows for their milk and taking it from them against their will is, technically, no different than slavery, and hence just as despicable.

The first two are not very likely to convince someone who's willing to kill both the cow and the calf anyway, and the last one normally just draws shocked expressions in a "how dare you compare the two!" kind of way.

Does anyone have any other arguments that might make sense to the prion-addled brain of an omni?
    No Gods, No Masters.

Default Re: How to explain "no milk"?

You could try grossing them out by telling them about the puss and blood that is in milk.
    - Matt

eh - that doesn't work for me. Despite their (obviously) limited mental capacities, I still like to treat them as adults.
    No Gods, No Masters.

I'm pretty useless here. All I know are health reasons why humans shouldn't drink milk.

Sorry.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Seaside

At some point in every mammal's life they've got to stop hanging onto the mother's teat and grow up. Maybe you should ask them if they know what it means to be WEANED!!! Familiarize yourself with the psychological problems that are associated with children who refuse to be weaned, and discuss this with them. There are no animals except us who cannot face being turned away from the breast and tossed out to fend for themselves. Ask them if they've heard of any adult animal besides us that goes straight from its mother's milk to that of another species when its mother has dried up. Just because someone else is doing all the work doesn't mean that people who drink animal milk aren't symbolically sucking the teats themselves. Just tell them its about time they grew up and got themselves weaned!

Well, if all farms returned to traditional methods of farming, tem cows would produce just the right amount of milk for their calf. This would make taking any of it letting a calf go hungry, unless you replaced it with milk replacers which are very unhealthy for them and this would make you be putting your own "needs" before their real ones. Also, (pretending that veal doesn't exist) talk about what would happen to the male cows that are born (since milk breeds are completely different from meat breeds) and the dairy cows after they produce milk. I also tend to find that a better way of putting that third point is to refer to it as blatant exploitation of a creature that cannot defend themself, and avoid using the term slavery. Another point is that dairy cows must be impregnated every year to give milk, which is more than normal and natural and is far worse for their health than letting them live their lives naturally, plus, since milk requires adding more life, that is just exponentially expanding the resources required for milk-yielding, thus making the environmental impact even greater thn just keeping the cows themselves.

And has anyone actually ever told you that BOTH the calves weren't taken away and that they would be in pain if not milked, because how would they not be milked if their calves were there?

Ask them if they would drink the milk of a rat? Or a horse? How bout a pig or a cat?

My sister was telling me about a story she heard on the news about how a litter of kittens had been mothered by a female dog, drinking her milk to survive and whatnot. My 8 year old neice piped up "Eeewwwww!!! That's so gross!" But how is that any different to what humans do? Really, it's not even a matter of survival for us!

I think on some level most people know it's utterly ridiculous. I recall thinking how strange it was when i was still omni or ovo-lacto. It's just habit really.

oops!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

[QUOTE=Imapeach]Ask them if they would drink the milk of a rat? Or a horse? How bout a pig or a cat?

I know what you mean. Everyone is so obsessed with milk.. calcium, etc. They forget it is from another species.That is so biologicallly incorrect, no wonder there are so many allergies. Calfes and cows have four stomachs, we have one. What the hell are we doing drinking it? Who thought of it.
    I used to work with a lady who brestfed her daughter till she was five. Everyone thought that was gross and wrong. I personally think drinking another species milk is distgusting, and told them and they were like oh yeah when you think of it like that. Do these people ever think?
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Seaside - that is an excellent suggestion!

Sniveling Child - You make some good points there. The problem is in discussing this with my mother (as the worst example), who used to go into the Swiss Alps in her childhood and hang around the milk farms. They let the cows go out into the fields, with their calves, and the farmer comes out and milks the cows of their "excess" milk. As anyone who has ever breastfed knows, you produce as much milk as is needed, so if you have to feed two babies you'll be producing more than if you only had to feed one, and as you wean your child(ren), you start to produce less. So, in fact, the cow can easily produce more than just one calf needs, meaning you are no longer stealing anything from the calf. Oh, and these calves in the Alps (for the most part) don't get taken away for veal, but get to grow up in their herd, until they're either the ones producing the milk, or mating with the milk producers to make new calves. In other words, if they were sentient and able to consent to the excess milk being taken (as some human mothers do to help feed babies whose own mother cannot produce any or enough milk), there would be nothing ethically wrong with it (though it would still be nutritionally inappropriate).

So that's the scenario where the only remaining argument is the exploitation. The problem there is that we as a society have become so used to people being exploited in the workplace that some small amount of exploiting animals seems negligible. (And you're right, describing it as "exploitation" rather than equating it to slavery would be easier to swallow).

Cows also don't have to be impregnated every year to continue giving milk - just like human mothers can breastfeed as long as the child needs it (as long as the hormones are right). In some places the grandmother of a baby will help breast-feed the baby, so even without having been pregnant, she can still produce the milk, simply through hormonal stimulation caused by being close to the breastfeeding mother and being needed.

As I mentioned before, the "cows being in pain if not milked" thing is a whole other discussion. That's a very true statement - of the dairy cows in modern-day factory farms. They are bred to produce truly excessive amounts of milk, and are given other chemicals to stimulate the milk production, so I have no difficulties at all believing that it must be agonising for them to carry around a lot more milk than nature ever intended for them to carry. The solution to that problem, however, is NOT milking them, but rather not breeding them that way and not pumping them full of chemicals. Then the problem would fix itself in a few generations, at most.
    No Gods, No Masters.

Astrocat

I still like to treat them as adults.
    If they are grown adults, I am sure that they don;t need to have information kept from them as if they are children. This would include telling them about the reality of milk, should you feel a need to.
    Disgust is as viable a reason as any other which you might have to find it 'bad' to consume milk.

The people who you mentioned appear to be rationalising the unethical in order to avoid facing, never mind accepting, the truth.
    There is usually little way in which you yourself can change the mind of someone who is actively in denial, in order to try and make them face the truth.
    That is just how self-delusion works - especially when it is reinforced by repetitive conditioning and widely held societal misconception or belief.

Your mother, i am sure, does surely realise that she no longer lives in the Alps, and does not get milk from singing smiley happy cows.

People who use a "best possible scenario" to try and justify or rationalise their own substantially more cruelly founded and unethical scenario and lifestyle have their mind closed to reality, or at least have their blinkers on in order to maintain their tunnel-vision.

I gave up trying to change these kinds of closed-minded peoples' minds long ago.
    Life is much better now.

Oh, you might want to point out to them though - that pasteurised milk, which is 99.9999999% likely to be the sort which they are buying, is very capable indeed of killing a healthy calf within 90 days or less, as this process is such a perversion from nature.

Use a health / animal welfare view.

The use of (Posimat Step 2) - (this is the product trade name) in UK Dairy cattle is used to increase milk yeild per cow this in turn causes severe health implacations to the cow herself causing
    her severe discomfort and pain this is combatted with more chemicals being injected into her and in turn overiding the health problems that can be caused by Posimat step 2 a milk yeilding and growth chemical, made of god knows what ?.

Their has been for some time now but still unreleased evidence that this can and has caused growths and tumours in cows and many people in the research industry question if this can cause cancer / growths / tumors in humans by being passed through the milk.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Astrocat

but Snaffler - they wouldnt be doing that out in the Alps when his mum was little, so she quite probably would simply totally dismiss the truth accordingly.

She'll probably do that with the point i added about pasteurisation, too.

It seems that you need a two-pronged argument. One prong addressing the reality of where our dairy comes from; and the other prong addressing this supposed cow utopia.

We can easily point out what is wrong with inseminating a cow against her will; stealing her baby; keeping her baby chained in a small, dark, enclosure, until killing the baby; keeping the cow hooked up to machines for a large portion of her life; keeping the cow inside a crowded buliding for most of her life; giving her hormones to make her overproduce milk; feeding her a diet which causes her to be in pain and subject to infections; giving her large doses of antibiotics to fight these infections; and then killing her after her productivity has peaked.

On the other hand, in this lovely Alpine village the cow will only mate with a bull if she chooses to do so. The male calves are allowed to either become studs or they are castrated humanely and made to work as oxen since none are ever killed to eat. Even though the cows have to spend the winter in a barn, they are allowed to go out into the valleys during the warm months. Of course, there is no dairy with a milking-machine nearby which could irritate an udder and all milking is done by hand. Despite the strain put on their bodies by the constant production of milk, their health is never negatively affected. Finally, the cows die of old age.

If I were stuck in a small mountain village I might have to accept this life.

As good as this hypothetical (and imaginary) situation may sound, one is still living as a parasite on these cows. Since we can get all of the nutrients present in millk from non-animal sources and these non-animal sources are available to us, why exploit cows?

You could also say:

"I'm a feminist, I respect females of all species."

This would work great for eggs too.

Quote Astrocat
    Oh, you might want to point out to them though - that pasteurised milk, which is 99.9999999% likely to be the sort which they are buying, is very capable indeed of killing a healthy calf within 90 days or less, as this process is such a perversion from nature.
    Now that I did not know. Very fascinating!
    No Gods, No Masters.

Quote John
    It seems that you need a two-pronged argument. One prong addressing the reality of where our dairy comes from; and the other prong addressing this supposed cow utopia.
    Yup - that's exactly what I'm looking for. And the reality is that in the Alpine villages where my mother used to go for vacation, and where some of her family still do go, the second scenario is really still true.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to get at here is the distinction between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare. If you show any rational person how cows are treated in a dairy factory farm, they'll be horrified and by strongly against it. So the Animal Welfare movement will now work strongly to improve the conditions for the cow. Then they say, "look, these are happy cows, they are treated well, allowed to live their lives, milked only of their excess milk," etc. You and I both know this is still unacceptable - the cow needs to be given its freedom. That's the Animal Rights aspect - animals should have the right to live their lives largely unimpacted by humans. But to persuade omnis of this you have to be able to argue why you think animals have these rights. So in this idyllic scenario for the cows, how do you argue?
    No Gods, No Masters.

Geoff

The 'idyllic' situation still involves cows bred to have extremely enlaged udders, which would never occur in nature (and must be uncomfortable, to say the least). You only have to look at a horse to see that. And what happens to the male calves? It may LOOK idyllic but what goes on behind the scenes?

My 2 cents - I tend to think drinking milk is worse than eating meat. - I think milk looks less horrible as there no blood and guts and it doesn’t seem so much like a piece of flesh, so people are able to keep eating it a lot more easily than eating meat.
    But I think drinking the cows milk causes more animal suffering than eating the cows flesh, A cow and MANY calves suffer to make milk. When you eat meat you are killing one animal, when you drink milk you are paying for heaps to be killed. The milk industry supplies the meat industry and the two are intertwined.

I also read that sometimes (and given populations that means thousands) dairy cows are pregnant when they are slaughtered. Most people gross out at this, to imagine baby calves suffocating in their mothers tummy when she is killed, or that a mother cow has to give birth in the slaugherhouse or to see their almost full grown fetuses in the slaughterhouse blood, Viva has some good pictures and articles about pregnant dairy cows being killed.

In my city, ages ago a dairy cow being taken to the slaughterhouse gave birth on the truck pretty much outside the building, on the motorway. The road outside it is a big steep hill and the calf rolled out of the truck and onto the road, the zoo took it and adopted it. At the time motorists were all freaking out because of this poor animal and it was in the paper.

Have you reminded your mom and others that the milk they buy from the supermarket does not come from the "Cow's Paradise" farm that she fondly remembers? I get this argument all the time. I just tell them, "well, the milk you get at Wal-Mart doesn't come from Uncle Jed's farm, it comes from a factory farm" and they usually shut up because they ALL shop at Wal-Mart *big snarl*. But, they still run over and buy the milk.

On a side note: I've noticed lately that I can buy a gallon of soymilk for the same price that my husband can buy a gallon of cow's milk. No more of the excuse that it's cheaper than soymilk these days.

Actually, I don't know what the dairy farming conditions are like in Germany. Definitely a lot less hormones used (as they're illegal over there, due to the undesirable side effect of growing breasts on young boys).
    Nonetheless, she does often go to farmer's markets where the small farmers go, who frequently do still have fairly idyllic farms.

I don't want to keep making the "it can be this bad" argument, when I know perfectly well that's spurious. We all know how terrible the dairy factory farms are. But would you drink the milk of a happy alpine cow, bred by choice, raised by its mother, on cow's milk, milked by hand, etc.? I certainly wouldn't anymore, so obviously the horrible treatment cows get in the factory farm isn't the only factor leading to my choice. And I still eat all kinds of junk food (e.g. Golden Oreos), so the healther thing certainly isn't it for me. So how do I explain to others that it shouldn't be a personal choice, that the decision to drink milk is no more defensible than buying cotton from a slave plantation?
    No Gods, No Masters.

Quote Michelle
    On a side note: I've noticed lately that I can buy a gallon of soymilk for the same price that my husband can buy a gallon of cow's milk. No more of the excuse that it's cheaper than soymilk these days.
    Yes, that is good!
    My wife gets organic cow milk for herself and the kids, and my in-laws kinda freaked out this weekend - they wanted "normal" milk. What a bunch of morons!

On another aside, my son has a school friend whose mother grew up on a dairy farm. She used to have to inject the crap into the cows. She won't touch cow's milk with a barge pole.
    No Gods, No Masters.

Well, in the ideal situation, the heart of animal right, I think, comes down to just that, rights. It is easier to see the wrong if we, in the past in the U.S., if black slaves we're not beaten or hurt, but their excess breast milk was taken away without their say in the matter. It depends on choice. It is their milk, and they should have a right to choose to keep it, and since they cannot be asked, it should not be taken.

If a woman whose newborn has died, but they are still capable of producing milk, they might choose to donate it for women who can't. But, imagine it being taken away against their will for people who don't NEED it. Most people would think that unacceptable, and I think the major point in animal rights is that all animals deserve the same basic rights as we do, thus making milk taking unethical.

This is what makes eating bugs or other supposed "unfeeling" beings, taking eggs, and taking milk unethical. Unless it is a choice you feel you must make for the good of the animal or of all animals (such as spaying and neutering or food choices of a companion animal), I think this applies.

This afternoon outside the complex where I live, one of my male neighbours was talking with an electrician who came to fix the outside lights. The 'sparky' was saying to my neighbour that cows milk is all wrong for humans, etc, and my neighbour argued that he buys heaps of milk to drink because it has calcium. Anyway, I butted in to say that Vitasoy calci+ has plenty of calcium, and so do leafy green vegetables etc. The 'sparky' had a broad grin on his face, and asked me if I'd tried almond milk as well. Afterwards, my neighbour wanted to know more, and we had a nice chat. Hopefully some small changes will come about.
    Eve

Astrocat

cool !

So how do I explain to others that it shouldn't be a personal choice, that the decision to drink milk is no more defensible than buying cotton from a slave plantation?
    It seems to me that the issue being discussed here is a similar one to the one that was aired out in the "vegan view on eggs" topic, ie why is captivity in order to use others (ie their bodies or bodily fluids) for one's own benefits in itself a form of exploitation ?

Here there are no factory farms for a long way in any direction, so pretty much every farm is "idyllic" - the cows are still treated horribly, of course, but they look nice standing out in the fields with their swollen udders and chronic foot ulcers and digestional parasites etc.... thus the "idyllic" facade seems to be gobbled up by many consumers.

Even when there is no exploitation involved a great many people usually wouldn;t go sucking the titties of a human (ie their next-door-neighbour) to get milk - and give lame reasoning like "ewwww but that's GROSS" if asked why not (similar to the cat-milk debate) , so it seems thoroughly bizarre that it should be expected that people should have to justify not second-handedly sucking the titties of a cow, goat or sheep just because people en masse are conditioned not to find this gross or unnatural.

Eve - you are an awesome advocate!

snivelingchild - you write what's in my head.

Astrocat - I love the way you described that - the "second-handed sucking [of] titties of a cow" made me laugh!
    No Gods, No Masters.

The only time you'll see calves in the field with their mothers is if they are being raised for beef, ie slaughter. In this country at least.

Dairy cattle have their calves stolen from them when they're born and raised for veal (slaughter again) or as replacement dairy cattle.

In the weekend paper, there's a quote from Archives of Internal Medicine 2005, which states that men who eat lots of dairy foods may lower their risk of developing type 2 diabetes as well as their risk of prostate cancer! Where do they get these "facts" ?
    Eve

Quote vegancrusaders
    I think that if one has a house, some land and a cow, and is and looking after that cow with love and protection (until that cow dies of a natural death) and the owner of the cow decides that he or she wants milk and is willing to look after the calf as well as the cow threw sickness and health then one should take some milk for his endeavor. The cows should not be treated like machines and killed at the age of 4. If you want milk then treat the cow like your mother and protect her tell she dies naturally. Don't take the cheap way out and buy dairy from the store. Produce milk from your own protected cow.
    Contrary to popular belief, cows do not "produce" milk forever once they've had one calf. Just like any other mammal, a cow would need to give birth to a calf year after year in order to keep the milk production up. Also, I'm sure that you know that calves don't just materialise; the cow will have to be impregnated first, which is another chapter of another industry altogether.
    Basically, cows don't need to be "kept" and I don't know why anyone should be rewarded for their "endeavour" to keep a cow enslaved. And as for "treating the cow like your mother", if you were to treat your mother like the cow, I'm sure you'd be at least rapped for indecent behaviour!
    "Producing milk form your cow": just the sentence before you're saying that cows should not be treated like machines. Well you "produce" things from machines. The cow produces the milk herself, and it's not for humans to drink. Whoever started the rumour that animals produce nourishment for humans must've been insane!

Quote vegancrusaders
    This is not a vegan diet , but a good start for vegetarians . Note to all vegetarians consider going conditional vegan (wich means to only have milk from protected cows. Because if one just gets dairy from the store then one is associated with the killing of that cow, as 100% of dairy cows are killed for beef). Im just saying that not all people are going to give up all milk and dairy products. A good step for all those who have gone vegetarian would be to only take milk from protected cows this is a great start. Other wise one should question why one is vegetarian.
    "Conditional vegan"?? When did that term come about? It's like a "pescatarian"; someone who doesn't eat meat from birds or mammals, but continues to eat fish and wants themselves to stand out from the meat eaters anyway (for their "endeavour" of not eating certain animals?). Please let's keep things simple! If you eat any kind of meat from any kind of animal you're a meateater, if you don't eat meat but use other animal products you're veggie, and only when you DON'T use ANY animal products at all you can call yourself a vegan. Let's not go into this mollycuddling of people who want to be made to feel special because they show a fraction more of compassion than the average, ignorant meat eater.

Dairy cows, by the way, are not turned into beef as such. They might be turned into cheap mince or pet food. McDeath, for instance, uses beef cattle, which have been blown up to monstrous proportions so as to get as much meat as possible off one animal.
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

heard on the radio today that after 30yrs of there being a downsurge in milk sales, the new figures show milk sales soaring due to the huge popularity in all the coffee shops opening up in our high streets eg, costa coffee, starbucks etc.

apparently 'we' are all consuming lattes, mochas, chocomocho-dodahs by the gallon full and the demand for milk has upturned.

the mmb [milk market board] also said how they are trying to get more milk back into schools " as we need to get as much calcium into young kids as possible. after the age of 20 the depletion of calcium begins and the first stages for osteoporosis set in"

- er nothing to do with £££ then?

FR

Stupid F%$#%@$% dairy industry. Looks they want kids to develop osteoperosis because that is the effect cow milk consumption has on human beings.

Quote cedarblue
    heard on the radio today that after 30yrs of there being a downsurge in milk sales, the new figures show milk sales soaring due to the huge popularity in all the coffee shops opening up in our high streets eg, costa coffee, starbucks etc.

apparently 'we' are all consuming lattes, mochas, chocomocho-dodahs by the gallon full and the demand for milk has upturned.

the mmb [milk market board] also said how they are trying to get more milk back into schools " as we need to get as much calcium into young kids as possible. after the age of 20 the depletion of calcium begins and the first stages for osteoporosis set in"

- er nothing to do with £££ then?

interesting - still listening to the radio - had a few calls talking about giving school kids milk anddairy/milk intolerance and also some "milk is for the calves" calls too!

Unhappy Milk on the News

Apparently, milk sales have gone up for the first time in 30 years. Although they have been suffering from a severe slump for a long time. I hope this isn't the start of everybody drinkin milk and eating dairy more.

Default Re: Milk on the News

i saw this too and was quite disappointed to hear it. apparently it's people's love of cappuccinos that has caused the rise in milk consumption. haven't they ever tried a soyaccino?

i was surprised that the average person drinks about 3.7 pints of milk a week too - that seems a heck of a lot!!! i doubt i drink that much soya milk a week...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yeah that suprised me two. I mean, I didn't drink anywhere near that when I wasn't vegan. I probably drink 2-3 pints soya/rice/oat milk a week now.

Give it 18 months "Milk Is Bad For You" as a nation we are all consuming to much this leading to well we all know.

Liberate the cows dam filthy farmers
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams