Thread: world hunger

Default world hunger

I'm just thinking if there is some relation between veganism and those poor countries with famine problems.
    Maybe food problems is coused by all those conflicts, fighting and weapons trading?

I can't see the connection myself, medus. Veganism is very peripheral here, and even in the US and UK, but it doesn't cause famine in African countries. Famine has many causes, including climate, ecology, as well as poor government controls.

I believe the worst famine in modern times, was in the soviet union in the early 1920s, when there were 25 million people on the verge of starvation. At that time, the USA saved the day, with their president Woodrow Wilson persuading his govt to help.
    Eve

HERES a " Feed the World ", " Meat makes the rich ill and the poor hungry " article by Jeremy Rifkin " from the Viva website which is relevent to this thread.

The article is fascinating.

If only people could wake up to the truth...

Thank you for the url Gertvegan, and whilst we already know much of what appeared on the first page, the second page gives facts that, to an extent, I was unfamiliar with.
    Eve

Its bad when you think that the world leaders are more than happy to put millions into defense budgets and no money in solving the still ever growing and wasteful food mountains that made headlines in the lates 80s early 90s and still goes on.

It reminds me of the lyrics and the truth behine a part of the Citizen Fish song "Flesh & Blood" (the part in bold)

Flesh and Blood
    If animals are animals, and animals have brains, then we are no more than cannibals that refuse to see the pain. The meat you eat is wrapped up neat; you didn't see it bleed.

And what you kill does not fulfill your dietary needs. Take a look from this direction, save yourself the indigestion. Our guts are geared to vegetation, and its healthier as well. Open your eyes and face the facts. Meat costs a lot and gives your heart attacks, which kills you. Now, a lot of people think (quite wrongly) that vegetation lacks vitamin B12. If you really think that's going to make you ill, then get a bottle of vitamin pills!

You could be more healthy, maybe it doesn't really bother you, but can your conscience bear the strain of all the pain that makes your food?

You could feed a lot of needy people with the grain they feed to cows, but can you comprehend the end results or can you not allow yourself to break the old tradition, the false conception of nutrition? "Well they all eat meat on television", except those little starving children.

Would you ever eat the meat from another human being? Flesh and blood is animal, is you and me. Animal is suffering.

It kind of points to the fact that the meat industry spends billions on producing cheap factory farmed cows in order to keep the meat industry prices low - this in turn is done by using all the grain which could be used to feed the starving world, to feed cattle produced purely for meat consumption it is a very twisted circle of greed that could be solved if veganism was world wide....

Thumbs up to charities like Veganfam
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams