Thread: Natalie Portman 'ditches vegan diet'?

Default Natalie Portman 'ditches vegan diet'?

Read article here

She can afford to be vegan easily. She can afford to get as many cakes and cookies as she desires mailed to her! I know that's not the main gist, but I get ikey about stuff like that. Her body was craving eggs? Seriously? I've not yet been pregnant so can't comment, but I wouldn't have thought that? Apologies if I am majorly wrong.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Default Re: Natalie Portman 'ditches vegan diet'

Sounds like bolleaux to me! (Not that I have any experience of pregnancy either of course.)

cobweb

Whilst I agree it's annoying and disappointing, I have to fess up and say I had major cravings whilst pregnant, and even tried some meat once during that time because I felt 'desperate' to eat it (after many years without). It was gross, by the way.

Yes, I have no idea what I'll be like when I'm pregnant so I really can't pass toooo much judgement on that. But it is disappointing, as she would have been a perfect advocate for vegan pregnancy and parenthood. My hopes are now on Alicia

I know that she's having cravings and all but when I read the article her excuses (sorry reasons) just seem pathetic.
    If she wants cookies or cakes she can easily find them (has anyone offered her a bourbon or a ginger nut?), or she could lower herself to other peoples level and get her rolling pin out.

I will never be pregnant therefore I won't understand what cravings are like (so please excuse my ranting if I'm wrong) but if she this easily jumps back to being Vegetarian then she either wasn't really comitted to being Vegan or she was just looking for a reason and has now found one.

I know I'm ranting but I'm just disappointed

for cravings theres always alternatives and if she feels that her body needed dairy and eggs then she can't be a very good vegan as her morals would take over and she would think logically instead she seems to have given in at the first hurdle. I'd be more understanding if she said something like she was travelling and she had a big craving for someting and couldn't find a alternative (vegan) product and ate for instance a cake with egg in it but to totally go bk veggie just doesn't sit right with me. Sorry for the rant guys.
    Peace, Love and Coffee =)

I'm just reading the same article on the net that she's gone back to being vegetarian. So disappointing! Well, I'm pregnant at the moment and feel I can judge her freely on that aspect. I think it's just pathetic to go back to vegetarianism because of some stupid craving. I've had lots of cravings. I never get them for animal foods though, but it's nonsense that just because you have a craving you should give into that. There's a condition for pregnant women called 'pica' which means they crave strange foods like cigarette ashes, dirt, or something like that (something to do with deficiencies possibly, not sure), but I wouldn't advice those women to act on their cravings, like I would with her as well.

I wonder regularly about people going back to whatever diet they were on before after turning vegan for a while. Makes me wonder what their motivations were for becoming vegan. When I became vegan I KNEW, and I still KNOW that I will NEVER go back to eating non-vegan foods again. It really pisses me off when people go back. I do not have a lot of sympathy for that. And in her case I find it even more disappointing because I thought she's be a great advocate for veganism, I think she helped put a vegan shoes line on the market as well.

Oh well, lost cause, I better stop talking now, it really winds me up!

Quote khadagan View Post
    I'm just reading the same article on the net that she's gone back to being vegetarian. So disappointing! Well, I'm pregnant at the moment and feel I can judge her freely on that aspect. I think it's just pathetic to go back to vegetarianism because of some stupid craving. I've had lots of cravings. I never get them for animal foods though, but it's nonsense that just because you have a craving you should give into that. There's a condition for pregnant women called 'pica' which means they crave strange foods like cigarette ashes, dirt, or something like that (something to do with deficiencies possibly, not sure), but I wouldn't advice those women to act on their cravings, like I would with her as well.

I wonder regularly about people going back to whatever diet they were on before after turning vegan for a while. Makes me wonder what their motivations were for becoming vegan. When I became vegan I KNEW, and I still KNOW that I will NEVER go back to eating non-vegan foods again. It really pisses me off when people go back. I do not have a lot of sympathy for that. And in her case I find it even more disappointing because I thought she's be a great advocate for veganism, I think she helped put a vegan shoes line on the market as well.

Oh well, lost cause, I better stop talking now, it really winds me up!
    Congratulations on being pregnant, you obviously can stand by your principles in the knowledge your doing the best for you, your baby and animals, whilst Natalie has shown herself to be a limp excuse for a vegan without the courage to stand by her convictions.

When someone like Portman, who can be so influential to others, does something like this I find it extremely disappointing. I've never been pregnant and with a little luck never will be, BUT I get serious food cravings all the time. I either try to find a vegan alternative and if I can't buy it, I try to make it. Even if I can't find the exact thing I'm craving sometimes just getting "close" to it is enough. And again, Portman has endless resources at her disposal. She could hire her own personal vegan chef to whip up whatever cravings come her way. So IMO, tis lame.

Thing is, "craving" cakes and stuff like that doesn't sound to me like a sign of a nutritional deficiency but more like a desire for "comfort foods" - something I'm sure a lot of us are familiar with and manage to satisfy without eating non-vegan foods. I don't want to be too judgmental as we don't really know about her circs but to me the take-home message is that the use of celebs to promote veganism is a bit of a double-edged sword :/

Congratulations, khadagan! I'm glad to read from somone 'in the know' that Natalie is being just a right flaming idiot. It makes me so angry. Surely the thought of the whole background of the egg which she just picked up in the store would be enough for her to realise...

When I first saw the article I thought it was going to be about how she didn't feel being pregnant on a vegan diet was good for the baby or some other such tripe, so I was quite relieved to see it was only because she was craving other foods. I'm not going to judge her, I don't know how strong her cravings are, all I craved in pregnancy were freshly made soups and circular crisps
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

leedsveg

I wonder if Natalie Portman was ever a vegan but just confused the concept with that of being a total plant food eater?

lv

cobweb

Quote veganprin View Post
    When I first saw the article I thought it was going to be about how she didn't feel being pregnant on a vegan diet was good for the baby or some other such tripe, so I was quite relieved to see it was only because she was craving other foods. I'm not going to judge her, I don't know how strong her cravings are, all I craved in pregnancy were freshly made soups and circular crisps
    Exactly.
    Nobody else is in her shoes.

The comfort foods thing is a bit pathetic because we all know that veganism is no bar on eating them!. BUT - pregnancy can be a confusing time and first time mums are often snowed under with 'well meaning advice' (I know I was constantly being told that I 'needed' meat and dairy), so if she is craving something like eggs, she may then worry that she 'needs' them.

I wasn't actually vegan, just veggie, when I was pregnant, but the cravings I had for meat would wake me up at night, and I had never craved meat before that, so I do think people should *try* not to judge!.

Obviously the most unfortunate thing is that when 'celebs' go public with these things it gives other people a(nother) excuse to slate veganism .

Maybe she'll go back to it at some point though, sometimes people have to keep trying before they become fully committed.

I'm just finished being a pregnant vegan... my daughter was born 19 days ago.

I have 'cravings' for comfort food to, the answer is to bake yourself a vegan cake. I think she probably went vegan for unsustainable reasons, and this was a very easy 'get out clause'. She's going to feel more confident saying 'I'm eating an omelette because my unborn child needs it' rather than 'I'm eating an omelette because it's tasty and I'm not morally consistent.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

CONGRATULATIONS, Ms_Derious! That's fabulous news

Well done, Ms_Derious and daughter! How are you both feeling?

cobweb

I think I'd rather not attempt to discern why a person makes a very personal decision, instead I'll choose to be positive and hope that she goes back to veganism. It does seem a bit frustrating though, that someone with so many resources at her disposal felt unable to stick with it. Personally I've made loads of mistakes in my life, so feel fairly unable to be harsh about other people's decisions, on the whole. Good for everyone else here who does feel able to do so! .

Ms Derious that's lovely news, what's she called and how are you both? .

I suspect people are mainly p-d off because it's so public, and means that other people are liable to be confronted with "Well, Natalie Portman ate eggs when she was pregnant, so why can't you?" etc - particularly as she has made a bit of a production of being vegan in the past.

Otherwise - well, we all know people sometimes do funny things when they're pregnant

Noooo...that really is lame/pathetic. She could afford 10 chefs to make vegan cakes all day long and I'm sure her body needs a load of fat and cholesterol from eggs/dairy.

I kind of expected better of her! (not to self: don't put faith in humans least of all celebs)

Quote harpy View Post
    I suspect people are mainly p-d off because it's so public, and means that other people are liable to be confronted with "Well, Natalie Portman ate eggs when she was pregnant, so why can't you?" etc - particularly as she has made a bit of a production of being vegan in the past.

Otherwise - well, we all know people sometimes do funny things when they're pregnant
    That's the thing, it suggests eating dairy is required during pregnancy. All the healthcare professionals I saw throughout my pregnancy were fine with my veganism, it's the 'man on the street' who had issues. Seriously, I'm fairly confident I have a healthier diet then most omnis.

Still, if you are planning on using your child as an enabler, you might as well start early

Quote harpy View Post
    Well done, Ms_Derious and daughter! How are you both feeling?
    Quote pusskins View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS, Ms_Derious! That's fabulous news
    We are fine thanks... have been having a shocking time getting into the swing of breastfeeding, but feeling a lot happier now I have been told by 'the people' that this is because I don't drink milk, ergo can't produce any. Yes, because cows are well known for their love of white russians and rice pudding
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

RubyDuby

so... you have to drink the milk from another species to get your breasts to produce milk?? People are so silly. Do they think the cows milk goes directly to your breasts once you drink it, but only if you're pregnant? smh
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Yes.... there are little tubes next to your tonsils where the milk goes into your breasts, they open up during labour, which is one of the reasons some women find making 'Moo' noises helps them out. Didn't you cover this in Biology classes?

Not real name!

Vegan or not she's still pretty hot.

Aww c'mon. You were all thinking it. Just didn't wanna say it.

LOL at Ms_Derious and Ruby. Honestly, the things people come up with

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    have been having a shocking time getting into the swing of breastfeeding, but feeling a lot happier now I have been told by 'the people' that this is because I don't drink milk, ergo can't produce any. Yes, because cows are well known for their love of white russians and rice pudding
    OMG how silly!! People say the maddest things. My daughter is 3 years and 3 months and I am still bfeeding her and I have not drunk any milk - I wonder how on earth I have managed it then!
    Last edited by VeganZee; Apr 13th, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: mucked up quote!

Congratulations!!!

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I'm just finished being a pregnant vegan... my daughter was born 19 days ago.

I have 'cravings' for comfort food to, the answer is to bake yourself a vegan cake. I think she probably went vegan for unsustainable reasons, and this was a very easy 'get out clause'. She's going to feel more confident saying 'I'm eating an omelette because my unborn child needs it' rather than 'I'm eating an omelette because it's tasty and I'm not morally consistent.

cobweb

I've re-read the piece. Sorry if I was a bit annoying in my posts, I can see why this article/issue has irritated people. I think I just felt judged by someone (in 'real life') at the time when I posted my responses here and felt really turned off by the idea of judging others. I still don't (obviously) think that Natalie Portman is a 'bad person' but she has made herself look a bit flaky.

I for one didn't think you were being annoying cobweb, and I mostly agree about not judging people.

The main problem reallly is probably the ill-informed meeja coverage this sort of thing always generates. Still, no doubt if people mention it as evidence that the pregnant can't be vegan we should just take it as an opportunity to set the record straight

cobweb

Yes Harpy, we need to think of it as an opportunity, not a problem

You weren't annoying at all, cobweb. You were able to view the situation holistically, rather than someone like myself who immediately goes ARRRRGH!! and spouts forth! As harpy says, we are able to set the record straight for people who will bring this story up. Just don't let me be the one who encounters such people!

treehuggingmama

ddf
    Last edited by treehuggingmama; Mar 12th, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

I didn't know she was vegan but that's a real shame and pretty silly. Pica causes all sorts of weird pregnancy cravings but that doesn't mean your body needs chalk or whatever. I suppose I can't know how hard it is though. I hope at least she goes back to being vegan after she's had it though.

Surely she must have "had it" by now unless she had a gestation period as long as an elephant's Wikipedia says yes but doesn't divulge whether she's gone back to being vegan.

I have never been pregnant myself so cannot judge, but I think if I was pregnant and craving eggs my morals would be enough to stop me. It's called self control! What were her reasons behind veganism I wonder? If it was only health reasons, then I guess it is easier to understand. If it were ethical, then it really is a shame she couldn't keep it up.

Quote harpy View Post
    Surely she must have "had it" by now unless she had a gestation period as long as an elephant's
    LOL! I find it pretty disappointing that she abandoned ship considering how influential she is in Hollywood.

Oops I didn't check the dates before I posted.

Well if you're not doing it for the right reasons, you'll always find an excuse. Everybody else does.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Natalie Portman 'ditches vegan diet'?

Looks like she may have gone back to veganism, awesome as she is my celebrity crush .

But the highly documented torture of animals is unacceptable
    Plus it does look like she is in it for ethical reasons, which is good in my opinion.