Thread: (Rant) "Vegans eat plants so I can eat animals"

BlackBow

Default (Rant) "Vegans eat plants so I can eat animals"

I hate rants, trust me I do. This is the first rant I have ever done. I never
    thought I would but someone REALLY made me mad and I need a release!

Okay, heres the story...

There was a thread (on a spiritual forum) and the thread was titled:
    "How is being a vegetarian different from eating the meat of an animal?"

I got in a debate with some meat eaters. One was saying " A plant is a life too, and the whole " it deosnt feel pain so its ok to eat it" is a very ignorant way to think of life"
    I tried to explain how harmful meat eating is to plants too and I even provided
    proof of what I'm saying with 4 different sources , but no. He won't listen.

And another one said
    "We do not need claws, because our main weapon is intelligence. We can use that to make tools and hunt. And we are deadly good at that. You should look at some documentaries about native hunters and come back saying we don't have the instincts.

I'm not going through that whole list as it's based on the assumption that there exist only herbivores and carnivores. How ridiculous!
    Our eyes, teeth, and hunting skill and mind is all the proof that is needed.

Please skip no more biology lessons!"

And that last part of his comment was basically a nicer way of saying I'm unintelligent.

I showed logic, reason, multiple sources of what I'm saying etc. But they didn't
    use reason and just used the same dull,weak argument over and over and over....

It was so aggravating! Then one of them started a thread
    talking about vegans and how wrong they were and he "just happened"
    to post this around the same time of our little debate. Seriously?!
    You can't just leave our debate in the thread we argued in? You just
    had to share you anti vegan opinions with the whole forums?!
    I know that the thread was basically about and against me.

I bet he would get angry if I made a thread saying how stupid and
    wrong meat eaters are. (I'm not saying I think that meat eaters are dumb.)
    I'm just saying he would be mad if I did, so why make one against vegans
    especially knowing I'm probably gonna see it?

"I agree with Crysatoes, i cant agree with any strict vegan diet. IT really isn't natural ( if it once was it isn't anymore, we aren't the same animals we were even 500 000 years ago). Just as the Inuit don't eat a strictly meat diet, no human in nature weould eat a strict 100% vege diet. Look at tribes in the amazon.. Most of their diet is what the land provides ( fruits nuts, berries etc), but they alway include meat... Humans in that situation don't eat as much meat due to the energy and time it takes to hunt. If they go out to hunt and cant get anything, theres nothing left to eat but plants....."

*facepalm*
    Also know he never provided even 1 link to a page proving his points.
    I have no reason to believe this since there is no source.

And I know, I'm to blame too! I should have just walked away because
    as the saying goes "You can lead a man to water, but you can't make him think!"
    I learned how true that is.

This quote is from a different thread:

"that's the game of survival. And frankly given the chance animal WILL eat humans, baby or otherwise. On the other side of that, they run up against the fact that we humans are the undisputed masters of the game of survival (for the time being anyway) and that would never happen. Do you think cattle go willingly to the slaughter? It is forced, and there is no animal capable of forcing us into that. We win, pure and simple....and a lot of people feel guilty about that, but that's the game. Kill or be killed. We put a pretty face on it and call it civilization but the game remains unchanged."

Seriously? Where is the logic in that. If we stop killing cows,pigs, chickens, fish etc.
    they won't take over the world and eat us! I mean really?! *rolls eyes*

UGH!!!!

Thanks for reading this rant!
    I just can't believe the stupid things people can say.

Default Re: (Rant) "Vegans eat plants so I can eat animals"

Id say, just don't try to argue logic with ignorant people. They hate logic, and fail to be able to look at something from a point of view other than their own. No matter what you say, they will have something to come back with. Most of the debate about meat eaters vs vegans are opinion based. If someone is only looking at facts that support their own opinions, there is no point in debating it. It will just piss you off in the end. They made a couple of good points, and you do too.

Unlike Dumile, I'm not sure I can see any any good points that were made on the anti-vegan side of the argument Just looks like rhetoric to me.

I think it's good you posted a vegan point of view, BlackBow, because some people will see it and think about it, even if they don't comment immediately. But as you have already identified, there's probably no point in trying to pursue a debate with people who just want a soapbox.

Good points from them that I saw were about us not needing claws and crazy sharp teeth because we are minds are more developed than animals. So I agree that if a person in times of hunting wanted to eat meat, that person probably had to make a weapon to hunt an animal or they wouldn't be able able to eat them without them killing us in the process or waiting around for another animal to kill it first. Thing is we are capable of doing exactly what we need to eat meat and hunt. Like if a tiger could get up and make a gun to shoot food with it wouldn't need to be as viscious. If it were able to think like we do and had what we had to make and use forks, it wouldn't need claws and super sharp teeth.

So I think we were given what we need to be able to feed ourselves as far as being human. I think that is a really good point from their side that I hadn't considered. We always say it might not be natural for us to eat meat anyway because of things like the shape of our teeth. But if were given the ability to create things, we actually wouldn't need them to begin with. I just think it's a good argument to combat ours. Buy he presented in a bad way IMO.

Yes, I agree that humans are particularly well equipped to obtain and eat a variety of foods, and that those abilities have probably allowed us to survive in the past when other species wouldn't have been able to adapt to changing conditions (or different geographies).

However, I don't think that point has any bearing on what we (in the affluent west) ought to be eating now. In the past humans may have needed to eat meat to survive, but now we don't.

Remember, I didn't say there couldn't be a good come back from our side. I just thought it was one of few points made by them that actually had some substance and worthy of noticing. There usually is, and that'd why it's a hard subject to argue about. A meat eater would just say why he thinks he needs meat now to survive and a vegan would try to show why they wouldn't. So much back and forth arguing and for no reason to argue about it to begin with.

I think I just would never argue that everyone is supposed to be vegan, even though I wish they were. Mostly because of how hard it is to prove true or false. I find it better to just list pros and cons of each and let people decide rather than argue one is supposed to be.

Yes, I usually just explain why I'm vegan, but as the arguments apply to everyone else as well they can draw their own conclusions

I think it's pretty hard for anyone to argue that they "need" meat nowadays seeing there are so many long-term vegetarians and vegans around who are in the pink.

In my experience the hunting/evolution arguments are usually used when people are trying to argue that meat-eating is "natural". We have threads about this and people have different opinions, but personally I would concede that it is "natural" (a very woolly term) in some senses, but as we all know "natural" doesn't mean "necessary" or "right" anyway.

i.e. if someone uses the argument "(a) meat-eating is natural and (b) what is natural is right. Therefore (c) meat-eating is right" I would attack (b) which means I don't have to bother with (a)

Quote BlackBow View Post
    And I know, I'm to blame too! I should have just walked away because
    as the saying goes "You can lead a man to water, but you can't make him think!"
    I learned how true that is.
    'Lo Blackbow

You can always make people think. There is a very simple argument that, dependant on the ability of its advocate to think clearly, never fails. It goes along the lines of this;

There are only two reasons NOT be vegan and those are ignorance and selfishness.

(Ignorance being lack of knowledge which can be either 'innocence' as in simply not being aware of the facts and can mutate into fully intentional 'ignorance' which happens when people are made aware of facts but go into a deliberate state of denial as the facts leads to conclusions that are totaly unnacceptable to their own selfish desires, btw).

The argument depends on any necessity in meat eating being ruled out which is ever so easy to do. Once 'need' is ruled out then only 'want' remains. Once only want remains then any harm caused by eating meat is pretty easy to establish as being due to the selfishness ('wants') of those who eat meat alone.

Unfortunately there is no nice way of conducting that argument to its ultimate logical conclusions. The selfish and intentionaly ignorant are just going to get mightily pissed at having their selfishness and intentional ignorance exposed and they will attack you and get any topics in which that argument begins to gain ground shut down as quickly as they can.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote BlackBow View Post
    There was a thread (on a spiritual forum) and the thread was titled:
    "How is being a vegetarian different from eating the meat of an animal?"
    Actualy, how about a link to that topic?

I, for one, wouldn't mind having a wee peek to see what went on there ...

His view may be consistent: "We exploit others because we can, so we do." It follows that if another species evolves that dominates humanity then he will be totally cool with that and accept his place as a slave of our new masters.
    Presumably exploiting other humans is ok too as long as you can do it.

I go more by the view that "I wouldn't like this done to me so I wont do it to others".

I agree with Cupid Stunt, I find the main reason that people dont want to accept Veganism is that by doing so they would have to admit things about themselves that they dont want to (I.E that they are responsible for the cruel torture and unnecessary murder of innocent creatures).

Vegans have recognised this and have changed accordingly, some people are either too stupid or to selfish to want to do this so they adamantly stick to ludicrous arguments (such as humans needing meat).

Keep your chin up BlackBow, not everyone is as misguided as they are

BlackBow

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...t=12087&page=5

Here's the start of the debate. I may have made it sound worse than it was. Not on purpose though. I tend to
    get too butthurt sometimes And I can be quite sensitive.

Btw, I ask no one defends me on that forum. I don't want people to defend me and I'm about done with that debate
    and I don't want anyone else to fuel it up again.

And I don't want them to think I'm sending people to fight them or anything lol

I'm the user "Lovely" btw...

RubyDuby

I started to get all warm in the face reading that.
    It's hard to not get worked up.

I think it's funny when people call a source "biased" if it's for something like veganism. What are we getting out of being vegan? It's definitly the harder road that we follow because we believe it to be the right thing to do. What does a meat eater get out of eating meat? Ease in doing things the way everyone else is doing it. What are we fighting for? What are they fighting for? Why would we want the world to be this way?? What's wrong with being biased toward better health, or not wanting to support animal abuse?? Is anyone here getting paid for being vegan or getting anything good out of it besides maybe better health and knowing we're doing the right thing? I'm sure not. What's so wrong with being biased towards those things??

Anyway, just try to remember you're arguing with 1 or 2 people sitting behind a desk and there are way more than that reading both sides (like harpy said).
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

BlackBow

Well, I'm glad it got you upset too. I thought I was over reacting lol.

I'm not even going to look at the moment, as I don't want to be warm in the face

So I looked inside, and I also got very hot.

However, as this 'Time' person seems to be a diehard Christian zealot that turns around every word that you write, I guess reasoning might not make much sense (other than get you worked up even more).

Hell, if you can 'explain' and 'rationalize' Christianity and believe in it yourself, then you will not have any issues with 'explaining' and 'rationalizing' eating meat :-(

Best regards,
    Andy

There is absolutely no proven research that high cholesterol causes heart attacks. Trust me I've had this checked out thoroughly before i stopped taking statins. My son-in-law is a natural diet therapist and has done large amounts of research into this for his practice. It's been researched by the best and not one has a proven argument to link heart attack with ch. Its all to do with LDL/HDL's. But anyway, its starting to move away from the topic.
    WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT!!!!!

Moral (YMMV): Don't read (or write on) Spiritual Forums...

BlackBow

Guys, thanks so much for the support I felt so hated on for being vegan and it hurt me
    I really need to try to stay away from anti vegans on the internet!
    I hate conflict, especially when I feel cornered against.

Again, I love the support. It means a lot to me! I feel like I'm the only vegan in the world sometimes lol.
    It can feel quite lonely but this forum helps

Quote BlackBow View Post
    Guys, thanks so much for the support I felt so hated on for being vegan and it hurt me
    I really need to try to stay away from anti vegans on the internet!
    I hate conflict, especially when I feel cornered against.

Again, I love the support. It means a lot to me! I feel like I'm the only vegan in the world sometimes lol.
    It can feel quite lonely but this forum helps
    'Lo again Black bow and glad to read you as being a bit happier about that nonsense on t'other forum now

Veganism can be lonely though, aye ...

Personally I am a virtual recluse now as I don't find I have anything common with people who's basis of morality/ethics/spirituality/whatever has been perverted at such a fundamentaly early stage as how they feed themselves.

(I don't know if other people feel the same but I have become sensitive to the fact that when personal morality has been perverted at such a preliminary level that it has a knock on effect, sometimes subtle, sometimes extreme, for how they apply morality to all other aspects of life?).

Of some small comfort, possibly: It is not neccesarily so that vegans sometimes detach from the herd 'cos they tire of the herd constantly kicking seven bells out of them. It is entirely possible that some vegans have simply become bored with how easy it is to constantly be kicking seven bells out of the herd.

We can choose to be kicked or kicker but I think, unfortunately, there are no genuine choices that lay inbetween those two extremes.

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    We can choose to be kicked or kicker but I think, unfortunately, there are no genuine choices that lay inbetween those two extremes.
    That's simply not true, and is delving unhealthily into a "them and us" mentality. It's perfectly possible to coexist with non-vegans. And it's possible that treating them with respect will actually reduce the amount of animal products they consume.

Equally unhealthy is holding the idea that omnivores are somehow automatically less moral in the other areas of their lives.

Besides, it's physically impossible to live without causing suffering. Once you accept that, you realise that veganism is only a particular point on a continuum - not an end.

It obviously causes less suffering than meat-eating, all else being equal. But your average vegan will be at least partially responsible for causing animal suffering. Think: agricultural practices including removing natural wildflife habitats; environmental damage from transporting food from farm to shop to plate; cooking food uses fossil fuels. The list goes on.

Veganism isn't some magic barometer that determines whether you're an ethical/worthwhile/moral person.

Who should you have more respect for?
    - an omnivore who dedicates themselves to help the starving in the third world and saves lives
    - a vegan who lives their life in an otherwise selfish way

Personally, it'd be the omnivore. No question.

Quote BlackBow View Post
    http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...t=12087&page=5

Here's the start of the debate. I may have made it sound worse than it was. Not on purpose though. I tend to
    get too butthurt sometimes And I can be quite sensitive.

Btw, I ask no one defends me on that forum. I don't want people to defend me and I'm about done with that debate
    and I don't want anyone else to fuel it up again.

And I don't want them to think I'm sending people to fight them or anything lol

I'm the user "Lovely" btw...
    I started reading this spiritual thread but had to stop, this was for several reasons:

1) "Time" has extremely bad spelling and punctuation (Mine is bad, but this guys just stinks). It was a bit like reading a post from a 4 year old who is just learning to read and wright (this may explain a lot about this person actually).

2) The second reason was that although I do like fiction I can't see his/hers reason to include so much of it in an online forum. I have to assume that everything written by this person was completley fabricated because very little of it was true:

- "Your body actualy needs a certain about of saturated fat", this is potentially untrue, the body needs very little saturated fat and some sources say none is needed as your body produces it from other fat. It certainly needs other fats (Mono and poly unsaturated), has this person ever heard of coconuts?, nuts?, seeds?

- "50 - 80 grams of protien is what..... 10% of your daily reccomended amount?" - I'm not even going to start on this stupidity.

- "What about the 40% of your daily salt intake thats in vegaterian meals per serving?" - This is only if you buy processed crap and it's about the same salt as in an Omnivore processed meal.

- "Or the loads of processed preservatives and fillers in your veggie dog?" - As opposed to the Ears, Eyes, Noses, processed preservatives and fillers you find it real hotdogs.

- "Im sorry, i cant believe that. Theya re obviously biased, and are not looking at the right numbers. They probably accociated every death" - This person cant believe these things because he/she does not want to, as for the probably why does he/she look up the research and find out instead of spouting silly opinions.

3) The third reason that I stopped is that as you can probably tell, reading it did not improve my mood much. I did become sorely tempted to sign up and have a go myself - Maybe we could gang up on them instead - even though I don't believe in bullying I would make an exception for this dipstick.

What I would like to say Blackbow is that whereas "Time" spouted unsourced nonsense, you replied calmly with proven research and accurate facts/figures. Well done for keeping you cool with them, I wouldn't have been so restrained.

And remember this person is "probably" some lazy 47 year old layabout who lives in his parent's cellar and hasn't left the house since 1976.

RubyDuby

Quote pete_m View Post
    That's simply not true, and is delving unhealthily into a "them and us" mentality. It's perfectly possible to coexist with non-vegans. And it's possible that treating them with respect will actually reduce the amount of animal products they consume.

Equally unhealthy is holding the idea that omnivores are somehow automatically less moral in the other areas of their lives.

Besides, it's physically impossible to live without causing suffering. Once you accept that, you realise that veganism is only a particular point on a continuum - not an end.

It obviously causes less suffering than meat-eating, all else being equal. But your average vegan will be at least partially responsible for causing animal suffering. Think: agricultural practices including removing natural wildflife habitats; environmental damage from transporting food from farm to shop to plate; cooking food uses fossil fuels. The list goes on.

Veganism isn't some magic barometer that determines whether you're an ethical/worthwhile/moral person.
    good points!

Quote pete_m View Post
    Who should you have more respect for?
    - an omnivore who dedicates themselves to help the starving in the third world and saves lives
    - a vegan who lives their life in an otherwise selfish way
    Can you please define the "selfish way". We are all selfish but I choose to avoid being selfish in ways that harms others.

I suspect the only reason anyone does anything 'good' is to massage their own egos. I'd so love to believe otherwise though.

Edit: prolly a bit of a silly point/question, sorry I was in 'work mood'.

Zero

The logic is simple really, non human animals have nervous systems, complex brains, thoughts and feelings much like ourselves. They are self aware, sentient and have a desire to live without pain and avoid pain at every opportunity.

Plants do not have this level of complexity, they are not self aware, they do not posses the ability to feel pain and are certainly not sentient like animals. Many plant's bare fruit for other creatures to eat and this spreads their seeds.
    In conclusion: By eating plants we are doing the least harm to other life possible. Just because we have to destroy one form of life in order to live we should not consider this a "free pass" to just destroy or use other, more complex forms of life for our own purposes.

Can you please define the "selfish way". We are all selfish but I choose to avoid being selfish in ways that harms others.
    I guess he means it as, by example having two (imagined) persons:

- A non-vegan Mother Theresa feeding the hungry in Kalkutta and
    - a vegan a$$hole (maybe a lawyer or stockbroker?) living in New York, only caring about himself and the money he makes

Granted, in that specific (but possibly unlikely) comparison, my empathy might be going out to the first person as well.

But, as I mentioned, I consider it a bit unlikely. Of course, there most certainly *are* vegan assholes and non-vegan saints, but I would consider those the possible exceptions.

I guess what he meant to say is that veganism or non-veganism should not be the only thing by which you judge other people (to which I would tend to agree, but as a standpoint I would consider otherwise trivial).

Best regards,
    Andy

Zero

Quote Andy_T View Post
    I guess what he meant to say is that veganism or non-veganism should not be the only thing by which you judge other people (to which I would tend to agree, but as a standpoint I would consider otherwise trivial).

Agreed, I can easily imagine a society where there is an oppressive fascist dictatorship yet veganism is prevalent. Veganism is often considered the moral cornerstone of how we handle our relationships with other forms of life, but it is not the foundation or formula for a perfect society

I read this and didn't like the part where he said all vegans are on protein pills.. does he know all the vegans in the world?? this person clearly did not do their research at all first before replying to you. I think you did a great job in replying and made really good points!

I have been running into this a lot lately myself, it seems like people have all these arguments against veganism but they haven't done any reading or research about the subject whereas vegans have often done a lot of research on it and have studies and articles they can show to others to back up what we are saying.

I got into it with someone myself this week, and the topic was people who raise their animals for food and slaughter them themselves, rather than buying meat in a store, and the person said that this was very humane, and that the people doing it really care about animals and it's okay because it makes them very happy. And I said, okay, so if I did the same thing to you that is done to these animals, and it made me very happy, is that okay? Would you consider it humane? And the person was not happy about what I had said. The same person also told me that hunters hunt because they really care about animals.

RubyDuby

what's a protein pill? LOL

LOL, i know, i had to google it when i read it.. it looks like it's the same thing as a protein shake only in a pill, i guess people could use it for bodybuilding? I wasn't aware that protein pills existed until i read the thread!!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    what's a protein pill? LOL
    Something you take before you put your hemet on, apparently ..

Ground control to major Tom
    Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
    (Ten) Ground control (Nine) to major Tom (Eight)
    (Seven, six) Commencing countdown (Five), engines on (Four)
    (Three, two) Check ignition (One) and may gods (Blastoff) love be with you

Quote pete_m View Post
    Cupid Stunt
    That's simply not true,
    The majority will agree with that common sense opinion.

I don't agree due to my dabblings in forms of sense that are virtualy nonsense as they have nowt at all to with any kind of sense that is common.

I do agree with this what you said though ..

However anyone who hasnt reached the conclusion that veganism (or higher) is the correct way has a fundamental flaw in their basic moral mathematics that makes any calculations as to what is more or less moral highly likely to be flawed also.

Johnstuff named the flaw earlier in this topic.

No, vegans are not immune to that flaw but it is a flaw that is absolutely 100% guaranteed to be found in ALL omnis.

BlackBow

Quote Firestorm View Post
    What I would like to say Blackbow is that whereas "Time" spouted unsourced nonsense, you replied calmly with proven research and accurate facts/figures. Well done for keeping you cool with them, I wouldn't have been so restrained.
    lol, you have no idea. It took a lot of deep breaths and trying to calm myself. And I tried so hard to keep my cool.
    Then some lady on there called me "ridiculous" and said that the omnivores on there where "bending over" trying to be
    polite and kind. And she said that because I politely said they were being a little hurtful to me. I'm done with that forum for
    a while.

And these people where being nice compared to the other fight I got in on there. It actually made me cry ( the other fight not this one)
    Plus I was a new vegan at the time and didn't have much info to give to them. I wasn't as "restrained" on that one lol.

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Something you take before you put your hemet on, apparently ..

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
    (Ten) Ground control (Nine) to major Tom (Eight)
    (Seven, six) Commencing countdown (Five), engines on (Four)
    (Three, two) Check ignition (One) and may gods (Blastoff) love be with you

LOL! it does sound like that doesn't it!

Quote snowflower View Post
    LOL! it does sound like that doesn't it!
    Aye, it's either that or beans the numptie in question was thinking of ..

Beans are like little protein pills

leedsveg

At least you tried BlackBow but you can't argue with idiots.

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    At least you tried BlackBow but you can't argue with idiots.

lv
    Aye.

As the saying goes:
    Never argue with idiots, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I dunno who said it where but it seems to ring true.

Quote vorpal View Post
    Aye.

As the saying goes:
    Never argue with idiots, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I dunno who said it where but it seems to ring true.
    Aye it rings true and is mostly true ..

Another true thing is that with a little ... err ... 'intelligent questioning' of an idiot you can easily just become the facilitator in an argument between the idiot and himself. lol

T'is quite nice that when happens. The idiot often emerges a little wiser AND is even quite likely to see you as less of an enemy and more of a freind.