Thread: Herbal Medicine, complementary therapies, and healthcare Contacts

Arrow UK Healthcare Contacts

I found this on the VEGGIES website. UK Healthcare Contacts . Hth.

And from the Vegan Society, a Health Care Professionals List HERE.

Default Faith or Spiritual Healers in The South West

Faith or Spiritual Healers in The South West - do any of you know of any good ones are any of you good ones ? please PM ASAP.

Thank you

Jays
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Re: Faith or Spiritual Healers in The South West

Contact the local spiritualist church or even try Reiki

Reiki federation

sionthebard

Default Herbal Medicine and complementary therapies

Hi everyone.

At the grand old age of 40 - half way thro' my wonderful life, I am at a major crossroads. I am fed up of doing crappy office jobs for someone else to make a buck off my back and I'm not really into that kind of thing now anyway. I'm seriously considering studying Herbal Medicine (at Preston - University of Central Lancaster) for 3 years which will be a really tough time because I've already done a degree in Botany so I'll have to pay a lot of funding myself out of my house sale.

I'ld love to make it work out and be my own boss, but wonder if I'll have enough clients to make it all come together afterwards. I am just wondering if any of you wonderful people out there use complementary therapists on a regular basis, and to be more to the point if any of you actually consult a herbalist or would like to (as opposed to a homeopath who might want to prescribe animal products in their remedies). As I'm likely to be staying in the northern half of England afterwards to be near my daughter is there anyone up that way who would like to have the services of a herbalst but doesn't have easy access to one now? (I'ld be looking for case studies in my 2nd/3rd year with big discounts of course).

Reason I'm asking is as if I don't get much response here then I figure I won't get much at all from the general public anyway, so may as well go with the Halifax call centre jobs... (oh no!)

Thanks, Sion

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Herbal Medicine and complementary therapies

As someone who is an Herbalist and works with natural therapies of all sorts, I have to say that in the USA, the only way I can make a living is to wear *many* hats as possible. I am sure you'll find it a bit different there but here, I have to rely on my skills as a Chef, Massage Therapist, Yoga Instructor and so on to be able to earn enough to support my family! It's really all related as far as I am concerned...massage, nutrition, body/mind/Spirit therapies and herbal remedies

Best of luck to you! As a Botanist, you have specialized skills and knowledge that make you a very favorable candidate to be an Herbalist as well! I would consult with you for sure and if I lived nearby, I'd pay you a visit as well!

tails4wagging

Go for it Sion!!. But agree with CC you need to have many fingers in many pies to be able to support yourself financially.

I would be interested in helping you. Never got into herbalism, but seems interesting.

tails4wagging

Ps, You are still a spring chicken!!.

Have you got your houseboat yet?.

I believe it's a growing trade, and provided to publicise yourself enough through the internet and by local means, I think you'd get a really good thing going. People are becoming more and more aware of the benefits of natural plant extracts as healing remedies rather than conventional pharmaceutical drugs which cause nasty side effects and usually leave you dependent upon them. I think personally, I'd like to have a kind of premises where there'd be a healthfood/natural supplement shop (a bit like a Holland and Barrett but without the chain-store ickyness) in half of it, and then do consultations in a separate area of the premises... that way, there'd always be something to fall back on. Believe it or not, that's my semi-plan for the future (I don't have real "plans" as such), although I'm half way through a 4-year degree in Environmental Science and German, during my year in Germany I plan on getting a certificate in Herbal Medicine and using that as my main route for earning when I graduate.

P.S. I think the houseboat thing is a great idea too... you're stealing all my dreams

I used to work as a self employed Aromatherapist/Crystal Therapist when I lived in Norfolk. My husband used to joke, when he did our tax returns, that the taxman should be paying me! Thant's how much money I used to make unfortunately. I decided, when we moved to Essex that I would work for someone who would pay me 'real' money and although I would rather be working as a therapist there is no way we could put our kids through University without both our salaries.

Good luck though, I hope you are one of the few that does make it and maybe I can go back to it eventually.

Sionthebard, go for it. I opted out of my office job at 41 and moved to the country and am doing a degree....get out quick, office jobs like that sap your will to live. We've never been happier!!!
    I don't know where you live but up the road from us in a cute little village called Alfriston is a little herbalist shop run by a lovely lady who makes all the products by hand. I get my marigold face cream from her (vegan) and she makes herbal analgesia, cough medicine, menopause products etc etc. She is in the shop three days a week and runs courses the rest of the time and makes a good living out of it. Her shop is a vegan paradise!
    If you ever want her details I can send them to you, she is a very friendly lady and I'm sure would be happy to advise you.

Quote Hemlock
    Sionthebard, go for it. I opted out of my office job at 41 and moved to the country and am doing a degree....get out quick, office jobs like that sap your will to live. We've never been happier!!!
    I don't know where you live but up the road from us in a cute little village called Alfriston is a little herbalist shop run by a lovely lady who makes all the products by hand. I get my marigold face cream from her (vegan) and she makes herbal analgesia, cough medicine, menopause products etc etc. She is in the shop three days a week and runs courses the rest of the time and makes a good living out of it. Her shop is a vegan paradise!
    If you ever want her details I can send them to you, she is a very friendly lady and I'm sure would be happy to advise you.
    Wow! That place sounds like heaven!!! I am trying to ease myself into natural healing, cosmetic and toiletry products. I have found a couple of places where I can purchase natural products - but that place near you sounds gorgeous

Default Alfriston herbalist

I have to let you know about this great place I go to. I hope it's not against the forum rules to name the place but I went up there today and asked the owner and she said it was fine!
    It's basically a little herbalist shop, she makes all her own stuff out the back, herbal remedies, oils, medication, face creams, candles etc. Some of the products have beeswax in but the vast majority are 100% vegan.
    She also does consultations and has consulting rooms in Eastbourne, Brighton and Alfriston village.
    I go there to buy all my face creams, soaps, deodorant (crystal) and medicinal stuff, cough medicines and so on.
    She has no web site and it's a good idea to ring before visiting the shop as she can occasionally be out.
    She is Hera Jonas and her number is 01323-871555.
    Bat's Wing Apothecary, High street, Alfriston, East Sussex.
    I am not any part of the business myself, just a happy customer.

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Alfriston herbalist

How nice and what a great name! I make all organic, 100 percent vegan body care and herbal medicine products as well, as "The Kitchen Witch"