When is an animal not an animal? When you want to test products on it apparently.
Even the BUAV don't include all animals when they say "Not tested on animals". Nor do the leaping bunny org (see their website).
I've known about this for a couple of years, and theres a european law about animal testing which defines quite a restricted list. However, I wrote to the BUAV recently to get their current definition and they seem to have extended it a lot (which is good), but is still not ALL animals. Here's the reply which I thought you might all like to see:

Thank you for your enquiry. BUAV's definition of an animal is as follows:

An animal is defined as it is under the Great Britain Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986:1) Subject to the provisions of this section, "a protected animal" for the purposes of this Act means any living vertebrate other than man and any invertebrate of the species Octopus vulgaris from the stage of its development when it becomes capable of independent feeding. (2) Any such vertebrate in its foetal, larval or embryonic form is a protected animal only from the stage of its development when - (a) in the case of a mammal, bird or reptile, half the gestation or incubation period for the relevant species has elapsed; and (b) in any other case, it becomes capable of independent feeding. *Also included under this definition are cyclostomes (hagfish), cephalopods (octupi and squid) and decapod crustaceans (lobsters, crabs and prawns) as well as their foetal and larval forms, as recommended by AHAW (Panel on Animal Health and Welfare) on behalf of the EFSA (European Food Standards Agency) in their opinion on the animals that should also be included in the revision of the European Directive relating to laboratory animals (86/609/EEC). (The EFSA Journal (2005) 292, 1-46 - Opinion on the "Aspects of the biology and welfare of animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes").

Compared with the scientific view: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal