Thread: Considering going vegan in non-food areas of my life

septie

Cool Considering going vegan in non-food areas of my life

So, I've been following a Vegan diet for about a month now - I thought it would be difficult, but I'm loving it! I started for dietary reasons, but it's brought me awareness of the animal rights side of it etc, and now I'm considering going Vegan in other areas of my life (clothes, cosmetics, toiletries, etc).

I have no idea how/where to start, though. Any help or advice, please?

Default Re: Advice from 'full' Vegans please? :)

Heya Septie, welcome to the forum and congrats on starting your vegan journey!

I know it may seem a bit overwhelming but just take it one bit at a time. I think most of the people here on the forum will tell you that the best and least wasteful thing to do is use up the non-vegan things you have and then replace them with vegan alternatives.

I see you're living in England, if you're looking for really good-value vegan toiletries Superdrug's own-brand stuff is cheap and what's vegan is clearly labelled. Also health food shops tend to have toiletries, and will usually order stuff in for you if they don't have a good range in the shop.
    Cosmetics isn't really my area of expertise but there are loads of options online, and alot of Barry M and Urban Decay stuff, which you can get in a chemist or department store, is vegan.
    Clothes, just wear out what you have and replace any leather/silk/wool/suede with animal-friendly equivalents. For shoes there are loads of good websites in the UK. I know there's an online shopping thread around the forum somewhere which should give you some good links.
    Houmous atá ann!

Oh, I forgot Lush, over 70% of their stuff is vegan, it's natural and everything smells so damned good!
    Houmous atá ann!

With regards to toiletries I there is also "Original Source" (the fluorescent coloured shower gels/shampoos that you get in Superdrug, boots, Homebargains Etc) . most of their products are Vegan (one or 2 have honey in but they do label the Vegan ones).
    Also there is a company called Treacle Moon who sell their products in Tesco (big bottles with weird names like "Lemonade days shower gel") they are all vegan.
    I also like Faith in nature and Aubrey organics which you find in health food shops.

Welcome to the forum by the way

And if you are in the UK then the Co-op label all their cleaning products as contains 'no animal ingredients' so you can get washing up liquid, cleaning stuff, washing machine liquid, fabric conditioner etc from them

that wasn't very clear - not all their cleaning products are suitable for vegans - but if they are they will be labelled 'no animal ingredients'

BlackBow

Default Re: Advice from vegans please? :)

Most normal clothes are made with man made products. When cloths check the tag and unless it says it has leather, suede, wool, silk, fur, angora, cashmere, mohair etc. it should be fine.
    I don't know your gender but for females Almay,Hard candy, Bon Belle, M.A.C. and others have awesome make up and don't test animals.Tom's of Maine is what I use for deodorant and Treseme for hair. However cosmetics sometimes have honey or silk/ silk protein or milk so read the labels for it.

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-an...s/default.aspx

That link is a GREAT page to find out companies that do and don't test on animals

Hi congrats on your first month as a liberated eater. It gets easier as you go on and are familiar with what products are available, but sadly you still need to keep checking labels since some people - like Co-op - tend to change ingredients and slip stuff like whey into products for no reason. For example Co-op make two kinds of hot cross buns, they look alike but one kind is not vegan.

A lot of Lush stuff is vegan and can be bought online, but like a lot of companies as they get bigger they seem to be less caring and more profit focused.

When I first became Vegan I found the 'Animal Free Shopper' really useful, I used to take it shopping with me. The Vegan Society sell copies and I'm sure other place like Animal Aid do to.

Beauty Without Cruelty is a good brand for cosmetics, if you want something cheaper though, Eyes Lips Face (E.L.F) is also pretty good. For toiletries I like Kiss My Face, especially their Liquid Rock Deodorant, Avalon Organics for Shampoo, Method brand for soaps. I have yet to find a vegan toothpaste I like, though, so I can't help you there. If you go to YouTube and search "Vegan Products" and/or "Vegan Review" you'll find quite a few people that review vegan items. Hope this helps! Oh, and MooShoes has some nice vegan shoes, although they are a bit pricey. I think most shoes at cheaper shoe stores are made out of man made materials, you just have to check the tags to make sure.

We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang