Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Easter eggs

Default Re: Easter eggs

what's Jack Fulton's? don't think we have them down here
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

oooh..it may be a northern thing??

it's like a freezer shop..quite tacky..tends to have 'bad' food in it..like shonky quality meat ready meals..lamb grills and weird pop but often there are 'gems' in there that you totally wouldn't expect..like vegan easter eggs and innocent smoothies for like 59p cos they're about a week to go before going out of date..that kind of thing
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Is the saving adequate danger money?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

i don't entirely understand what you mean mr flibble. as far as i can see, regarding the simpsons/bang on the door eggs, they are eggsactly the same as the £1.99 ones in sainsbury's. in my ideal world i wouldn't buy either..but there you go..i have. and faced with those choices i'd go for the one at 69p.

i'm not altogether gormless, wouldn't buy a load of cheapo stuff just cos it's about to go rancid..i just gets what i needs.

Sorry, i wasn't being eggspecially clear. What I was trying to eggspress is whether the eggstra saving gained is adequate compensation for going into a shop like Jack Fultons. Of course, it is in reality, but it was a joke.

aha!

you're familiar with jack fulton's then?

in hindsight the humour is eggceedingly clear

eggscelent

I'm not familiar with Jack personally, but with the concept of eggstremely cheap (uneggspensive) northern freezer food shops. I tend to avoid them, eggscept pound shops, which can have some eggstremely, even eggstroidinarily, eggscitingily good bargins once in a while. I can't think of eggsamples at the moment though...maybe I'm just eggsagreating? This posting malarky is very eggshausting, I'm going to mark a sharp eggsit now

This post was bought to you by the egg marketting board of Great Britain

eggsemplary and eggstensive overuse of eggy words. phew!

have a lie down before your head eggsplodes??

Omg!! Stop!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Bought the Green&Blacks Organic Maya Gold one today in Brighton.
    Was very tempted by the other ones that Infinity foods had, but reasoned that they were a little dear.

~xx

I keep being tempted everytime I go into town to get an easter egg but havent yet. My friends coming up over the weekend and she went vegan last easter, so I might buy her one. Of course I'll have to help her eat it....
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

Quote RedWellies View Post
    Omg!! Stop!!

My dad called me at work today to let me know he was at my house and leaving easter eggs for the girls on my table before he went away camping. When we got home we found four big Kinnerton luxury dark chocolate eggs with a big chocolate bar on! As I only have two children, my daughters have agreed that we will give two of the eggs as part of our donation when we visit Ferne animal sanctuary tomorrow.
    Why my dad thought that they needed this much chocolate I don't know!?

My grandma gave me money rather than by me an egg...I'd rather just buy a bar of chocolate I think...or a book. lol As I shouldn't really have chocolate. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I'm having to ration my egg. I keep wanting to eat it but if I do, low and behold the stupid high blood sugars and headaches :/
    Ooooh well, at least it'll last longer..!

I asked my boyfriend when the Easter Bunny was coming but he wouldn't tell me.

Well the Easter Bunny is coming to him tonight lol. A bit early - I know, but maybe that will hurry the bunny up with delivering my stuff!

Quote cookey View Post
    My dad called me at work today to let me know he was at my house and leaving easter eggs for the girls on my table before he went away camping. When we got home we found four big Kinnerton luxury dark chocolate eggs with a big chocolate bar on! As I only have two children, my daughters have agreed that we will give two of the eggs as part of our donation when we visit Ferne animal sanctuary tomorrow.
    Why my dad thought that they needed this much chocolate I don't know!?
    Maybe he thought that not as many people would make an effort to find vegan eggs for your daughters, since the staggering majority of eggs are milk chocolate.

That's very self-sacrificing of your daughters to agree to donate them, especially when chocolate keeps so well.

I'm resisting the temptation to buy 2 Divine dark eggs with chocolate covered brazil nuts, as the local fair trade shop is doing a buy one get one free promo. I may have to resort to it if the eggs I'm making don't turn out very well.

I think I've started to go off chocolate, so I won't be buying any Easter eggs this year. I ate a small bar of chocolate earlier in the week and it was just too rich. I still love other sweet things though.

Quote Roxy View Post

Well the Easter Bunny is coming to him tonight lol.
    I think this post should be moved to the E zone!!!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

lol Red.

that's sweet of your kids to give the other Easter eggs away, cookey.

how are your home-made eggs looking, twinkle?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

They're looking good, but as I said in the "what did you make today" thread, the texture of the ones using couverture and white as well as dark choc have gone a bit funny. They taste alright, but kind of brown sugary.

hmm yeah, not sure why that would be, unless there's a weird ingredient in the Organica chocolate that prevents it from melting properly? the dark chocolate went ok didn't it?

Kevster

The Booja booja large champagne truffle Easter Egg:

'Overall these were the most popular, even though they are vegan'

Again the Shite-ian excels itself.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...048486,00.html

One of the eggs totally melted in the car on the way! But the other was donated.
    I made the girls an egg with that white choc mixed with plamil "milk" choc. And put Co-op jelly sweets in it. I know what you mean about the texture - but we forced it down!

Harvest in Bath have a two-for-one offer: buy a Divine egg, get a Maya Gold free. It seemed rude not to.

They're sitting in the bottom drawer in the kitchen now - if I listen, I can hear them calling to me "eat me... eat me... eeeeat meee".

My Gran gave me a kinnerton bang on the door egg today, and a box of julian graves hazelnut and pistachio turkish delight mmmmmmmmm! It's soooo good! My first (and possibly my only knowing my family!) easter egg/treats
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I bought an Elizabeth Shaw mint crisp easter egg today, the ingredients list doesn't mention honey, but it says on the front the egg contains 'honeycomb' crisp pieces. Does anyone know if it is real honeycomb as it doesn't mention honey in the ingredients or is it just sugar? Or is honeycomb always made from honey?

I'm not sure, Sandra, but I know vegan store sells "honeynotcomb" so it is possible to make it without honey. Best to contact Elizabeth Shaw directly I guess.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks RedWellies, I have just emailed them to ask, but they probably won't get back to me until after Easter. I'll just have to leave it until I hear from them. It's going to drive me mad having to look at it and not touch!

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Divine egg,
    I went to ASDA today and these were the only one's left, probably because they were £5...whilst the evil cadbury etc ones are only a £1.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote sandra View Post
    I bought an Elizabeth Shaw mint crisp easter egg today, the ingredients list doesn't mention honey, but it says on the front the egg contains 'honeycomb' crisp pieces. Does anyone know if it is real honeycomb as it doesn't mention honey in the ingredients or is it just sugar? Or is honeycomb always made from honey?

No honeycomb of the sweetie variety I've seen for sale has ever had real honey in, the name comes from the airy texture.

The Elizabeth Shaw crisp things used to be accidentally vegan, then they started saying that they contain traces of milk, but I imagine that's just because it's shared equipment, I'm pretty sure there's no honey in there though, especially if it's not listed in the ingredients.

Hope so, Twinkle...........I thought it strange not mentioning honey in the ingredients. I think I'll wait to hear back from my email just to be sure. It's sheer torture having to look at it and not eat it, I think I'll put it away in a cupboard so I can't see it!

Kevster

I wouldn't have thought this jelly egg was vegan, well it definitely isn't... But if i had an allergy to dairy i wouldn't trust a supermarket! (I don't have an allergy and i wouldn't shop there, the meat supplying b*stards)

'Store takes jelly eggs off sale

Waitrose took the eggs off its shelves as a precaution
    A batch of jelly Easter eggs have been taken off the shelves at Waitrose supermarkets after a teenager nearly died after an allergic reaction to one.

Joshua Parvin, 19, of Stevenage, Herts, who is allergic to milk, ate a Waitrose Jelly Mini Egg, which the ingredients said should not contain milk chocolate. [...]'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/6534961.stm

I got two Green and Black eggs, one Mayan Gold, the other 70% cocoa

I got a dark chocolate raspberry Easter egg from Sainsbury's .

that sounds amazing enchantress! was it dark choc with raspberry flavouring stuff in it?

I saw one in sainsburys that i wanted, was a dark green and blacks one and came with a large bar of their cherry one and a large bar of their maya gold! Cost a tenner though.
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

It was dark chocolate with little chunks of dried raspberry in it. 'Twas very nice. *Licks lips*.

sounds lovely! you lucky thing hehe

*sniff sniff* I didn't get an egg this year, although I've been dropping hints for like a month as I saw they had the maya gold ones in a local woolies, but my partner couldn't get one- they kept selling out!! but he did buy me a bar of chocolate and we tried making it into an egg by melting it down and covering his egg plastic in it, did not quite work- but it was fun and I still get chocolate!!
    To you it's food; To them it's life

eta: phew, that's better, a smaller image

These were the mini eggs I made with Organica "white bar" and Divine dark chocolate.

I ended up making a lot of different kinds - about 8 large hollow eggs, the white and dark mini eggs, Organica couverture and dark mini eggs, mini eggs where I made a shell of dark chocolate then filled them with vanilla truffle mix, and some with coarse hazelnut gianduja filling. I think the truffle filled ones were probably the most successful.

they look cool! very creative

Waitrose have the Kinnerton big eggs reduced today £2.49 for an egg and choc bar - totally vegan ive had 2 of the smaller Kinnerton eggs bang on the door and simpsons so resisted temptation! They also had divine and dutchy and another organinc one half price but did not look at the ingredients...

Did buy one for my gran - id promised her an easter egg and her fave is dark choc - kinnerton are nut free so nice smooth choc as she is mainly on a soft diet but seems to manage small crumbs of choc still if not i know the staff at her nursing home will try to melt it and put it on top of ice cream or sponge pud for her!

Wow, Twinkle! Wishing I was over there to help you test those out They look yummy!!

I got a Celtic dark chocolate egg with mint choccies from H&B today - reduced to 2.99 I've already been stuffing my face with vegan white chocolate and booja boojas over easter, but I just couldn't resist a little more...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

They look great Twinkle
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

OMG, Twinkle! I'm spending next Easter with you!!!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

yea they do look pretty good! how did you get the swirly patterns? I was going to make my own but didnt.Maybe next year.I didn't buy or receive a single easter egg either! Must go and buy discounted easter eggs....

I had an icing kit I used to pipe chocolate into the moulds, then carefully splodged the next layer over

Thanks for the compliments

If you're in the area in the near future I've still got a TON of chocolate left, Orange-powered!

I'm in the area hehe. I have given up chocolate though in an attempt to loose this pesky stone i've gained!

I might need to make a special trip over to yours then twinkle! actually you could probably save it all and make some more eggs at some point?

I wanted to get those small moulds, so I could attmept to make vegan cream eggs, as I saw a recipe somewhere.

I try to stay away from chocolate usually too, because even though I love it, I have no self control....but I think I earned some because I'm sure the whole country must have gorged this past weekend and I had none!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    there's a guy just started a new vegan chocolate business and is selling them through only a couple of local (Brighton) shops. he's doing eggs with truffles inside including peanut butter flavour, vanilla, orange and mint. the eggs themselves are plain, ginger or blueberry.
    I bought a 'basket' with peanut butter truffles (£10) but must report that the truffles were a huge disappointment. Not sweet enough or peanuty enough or soft centred enough.
    I had tried two other truffle flavours (rosemary and mint) which were for sale individually in May's General Store in Lewes which were lovely so had high hopes for these.