Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Easter eggs

Default Re: Easter eggs

For Australians:

I went on an Easter egg hunt last year. Here's what I came up with. None of these eggs said, "Contains traces of dairy".

Cadbury Old Gold single eggs (Your choice whether you want to buy from them). About 50% cocoa. Available from large supermarkets such as Woolworths.

Alpha has various boxed ones - quite delicious too. There are single eggs and some accompanied by plum or apricot chocolates.
    About 50% cocoa. Found them in IGA supermarkets, Myer and David Jones, Big W etc.

Alpha also makes mini-eggs but they're not as good - taste fatty. However, they're more widely available.

Constant Craving (from Australian online store vegano). Super indulgent - a few varieties.

Lindt 70% dark eggs in a box with mini-chocs (not sure about the traces of dairy with this brand). Saw this egg in Woolworths.

David Jones also has quite a few brands of dark eggs. Didn't try them all. The best one was a brand called 'Praline Chocolates' There was Irish Cream or Truffle which were vegan. They came in a gold tin consisting of a medium sized egg (and a very good quality and delicious one) and 6 truffles in foil. Not too expensive either.

Enjoy!

PS As mentioned, Sweet William have soy bunnies in many supermarkets. I personally didn't like them much.

Geoff

Thanks for that info mate. By the power vested in me by the mighty Korn I hereby appoint you official Australian vegan research officer. Congratulations.

And so say all of us!
    Thanks.

I haven't found one vegan easter egg yet in A2..and that really surprises me. Usually it's not this hard. Quess I better start ordering from on-line and soon.

Hi - there are some great Easter things approved by the Vegan Society on the Dietary Needs Direct website. The link is http://www.dietaryneedsdirect.co.uk and there is a link on the front page of the site to the Easter section. Most of the stuff is for little ones - eggs, bunnies, shapes etc, but they are not overly priced and the products look nice. Maybe you could add it to your list? It's UK based

tabitha

Vegan chocolate gives me a headache these days. I still want to eat it, but when I do I feel ill. Whats that all about then.

Quote tabitha
    Vegan chocolate gives me a headache these days. I still want to eat it, but when I do I feel ill. Whats that all about then.
    It gives me a headache also. I got my vegan chocolate (which i waited 3 months for) and it gave me a headache after one piece.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default Easter Egg

Apparently Tesco and Waitrose sell a vegan Bart Simpson Easter Egg. How cool is that!?!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Easter Egg

Cool. I was just wondering whether there was an Easter Egg thread.

The Thornton's dark chocolate ones seem to be vegan and there's a 4 for £10 offer on them.

dharma

Always double check the ingredients. I was told that there was an easter egg for sale at supermarkets (not sure if was an own brand or not) a year or two ago that was seemingly vegan but the sweets inside contained gelatine.

i've never seen as many vegan eggs as there are this year! We've seen tonnes on our travels through the shopping centres of england
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote RedWellies
    Apparently Tesco and Waitrose sell a vegan Bart Simpson Easter Egg. How cool is that!?!
    I have seen that egg, my son pointed it out to me because it had vegan writen in huge writing on the front.

I haven't seen any vegan easter eggs in the U.S.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Are there any 'milk' chocolte varieties?? I still crave it, desperately.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

I havent seen any Catmogg.
    Have you tried vegan store?

A milk or white chocolate easter egg...mm shows how commited I am to veganism etc when I don't eat something I want.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote RedWellies
    Hehe, there's one in Sainsbury's too. Gotta say it didn't look too tasty, but it does say 'vegan' on it at least
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

they were selling these last year too, as i pointed out at the time. the eggs are just boring plain chocolate though.

i'm not bothering with Easter eggs this year - i'd rather just buy a choc bar as you get more choc for your money and less packaging.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I don't know if anyone mentioned this site yet, but the picky palette has little praline filled choco easter eggs that look delish. the nice thing is they're 1/2 off, the sad thing is that they're 1/2 off becuase picky palette is closing up shop but here's the site for those interested:
    http://www.pickypalategifts.com/stor...roducts_id=120
    Peace Love Surf.

Default has anyone seen any carob easter eggs?!!

the title says it all really!! I'm supposed to be intolerant to cocoa so I'd love a bit of carob easter egg action... but I can't find them anywhere in my town and not a whole lot of luck online either.

If I don't have any luck, I will just pick a nice dairy free high quality chocolate egg, because I don't want to miss out!! But it will give me a stomach ache but it will taste OK I don't miss the taste strangely enough... and I used to be a total chocoholic!

Jamie, apparently Siesta do a carob egg, available from health food stores. Also, try Dietry Needs Direct...
    http://www.dietaryneedsdirect.co.uk/...dCategoryID=40
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Gorilla
    i'm not bothering with Easter eggs this year - i'd rather just buy a choc bar as you get more choc for your money and less packaging.
    but easter egg chocolate tastes better than normal chocolate - everyone agrees
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

FR

For those that crave a milk chocolate, I'd buy some bulk dark chocolate, soymilk (or plant milk of your choice), melt it down, mix in the milk, place it Easter egg molds (if you can find those), and then let it cool. There you have it, milk chocolate.

Quote FR
    For those that crave a milk chocolate, I'd buy some bulk dark chocolate, soymilk (or plant milk of your choice), melt it down, mix in the milk, place it Easter egg molds (if you can find those), and then let it cool. There you have it, milk chocolate.
    You might need to add a little [food grade] wax, I think...to make it workable? I remember my mom melting wax and chocolate to make peanut butter chocolate balls once.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

FR

The chocolate will probably already have cocoa butter in it, which will bind it. I've heard that food grade cocoa butter is hard to come by.

Thanks for the link RW! It just seems a little pricey really, but I should expect that I guess!! I will have a better look at the site later and then probably end up getting myself a bit of nice chocolate yum yum even if I do get a tummy ache later... hmmmm well I'll see!!!! We are probably going down to London this weekend to look in the wholefood shops so I'll keep an eye out for some carob goodies...!

ETA: OMG I found loads of the stuff I am after on that site - I think I'll order from there to save me trekking round London and do something more enjoyable with my weekend!!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH RW!

dharma

Quote Gorilla
    For the first time in years I though I'd treat myself to an easter egg. I thought I'd just get a couple of the cocoa tree mini eggs with the fondant centres from animal aid and ended up spending a fortune on various boxes of chocolate creams and half a dozen mini eggs. I must make sure I don't eat them all by easter Monday.

Quote Jamie
    ETA: OMG I found loads of the stuff I am after on that site - THANKS SO MUCH RW!
    You're welcome.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I saw the two green and blacks ones and the booja booja? one in the shop today. The booja booja one is v.posh looking no wonder if is 16 something £ lol.

Yeah, Witchy, I thought that was very expensive. Maybe someone will buy me one. Anyone???
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I'll buy you one if you buy me one. lol Sounds fair. I guess you can use the little egg thingie for something else.

i saw a green and blacks eater egg (with mini eggs!) on sale at tesco £4.99 or sommat

i don't think the G&B ones that come with mini eggs are vegan - i seem to recall the mini eggs are milk chocolate pralines.

Mr Flibble, Easter eggs taste just the same as any other chocolate! in fact some of them taste worse, as some manufacturers seem to think they can get away with using poorer quality chocolate because of the novelty of it being an Easter egg!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Oh, Gorilla, don't spoil his fun!!!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

i've dropped loads of hints to my boyfriend that i want a dairy free egg from animal aid or something..but most of all i wanna try the vegan cream eggs, cos i havent had a cream egg in 3 & 1/2 years!

I saw a lovely easter egg in the proper chocolate shop in Alfriston, East Sussex. The guy in there sells loads of vegan chocolate items including drinking chocolate etc - shame i'm not a big fan of chocolate but I sometimes get stuff in there for my son who likes it.
    They had a top quality solid dark chocolate vegan egg with great big chunks of crystallised ginger throughout, even I was impressed.
    Unfortunately it was £15
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Gorilla
    Mr Flibble, Easter eggs taste just the same as any other chocolate! in fact some of them taste worse, as some manufacturers seem to think they can get away with using poorer quality chocolate because of the novelty of it being an Easter egg!
    I disagree - I think there is something about the thinness of chocolate. The thinner it is the better it tastes. Maybe it's a reaction to the air or something as that would explain why people like Aero.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Has anyone mentioned the Divine Darkly Easter Egg? I think it's 70% chocolate, and it includes chocolate covered Brazil Nuts. But I haven't checked the ingredients personally, so don't know if they're ok or not.

I got my carob easter stuff from DND... looks nice but my god, the price!! I guess because carob buyers are only a small market and easter is only the once a year.... but it is a bit of a shock!!

I'm glad to have something to open on the day though. Although I don't even know what day it is....! Easter Sunday?? We are away for the long weekend so I'll just eat it whenever!

Exclamation I Won Chocolate Easter Eggs!!!

I entered this competition and won 1st prize!
    http://www.worldveganday.org/webpages/archive/comp2.php
    They were delivered on Thursday. I even got a phone call from the company to check I had received them! Apparently only 62 people entered, which is bizarre!
    We now have chocolate easter eggs for the first time since we were bairns!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Re: I Won Chocolate Easter Eggs!!!

Congratulations! Enjoy!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yay! I wish vegan Easter chocolates were readily available in grocery stores here...well, maybe not because I'll eat it all in one sitting.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

veganja

Congrats you lucky bunny!

feral

Congratulations.. make sure you eat them all at once now!

I wish I had some chocolate, bah humbug!
    "Life is beautiful. Let future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full." Leon Trotsky

Quote boxinghefner
    I wish I had some chocolate, bah humbug!
    I have loads here but you cant have any because its all mine

Now, puffin, didn't anyone ever teach you that it's nice to share?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote DancingWillow
    Now, puffin, didn't anyone ever teach you that it's nice to share?
    Nope Oh ok then, if you would like some boxing i am more than willing to share with you.

My family got me some Cadbury Easter Eggs, and I was like "uhhh I can't eat these".

It was a bit annoying because they bought deserts and treats for everyone and they didn't take the time to find me anything, and to top that off when it came time for dinner, they had put butter on almost all the vegetables.
    ▼Laurin▼

Quote puffin
    Nope Oh ok then, if you would like some boxing i am more than willing to share with you.
    Much better!
    ~John Wooden