Thread: Want to go vegan, but in recovery from anorexia.

Question Want to go vegan, but in recovery from anorexia.

Hello

I have thought about going vegan, on and off, for some years. I feel that now, as I try to make positive changes in my life, is a good time to start eating with a way I feel comfortable with (regarding animals).

I'm recovering from anorexia. My BMI is still quite underweight - I need to gain another stone yet before I'm a healthy weight. Mentally I'm still not 'normal' but I have gained weight without much relapse.

I want to go vegan, mainly for ethical reasons, but also the health benefits. I think taking control of my eating in a positive way might help my recovery? I have some concerns, which are that my boyfriend / therapist / family will see this as a negative thing. Another concern is that I still need to gain weight, and at present, most of my gain has come from (unhealthy) milkshakes. Most of the milkshakes I have come in at about 500 calories per glass - can I replicate this in a vegan diet? I also need to prove to everyone that I can be healthy and happy on a vegan diet - I'm worried they won't take me seriously, and see it as me relapsing into my eating disorder.

Sorry if this comes off as offensive or anything like that. Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Want to go vegan, but in recovery from anorexia.

Welcome

I'm not sure about the eating disorder aspect (we have other members on here who are also recovering, so I expect they'll be able to help) but you can definitely replicate the milkshake, there are lots of choices of plant-based milks such as almond, soya, oat, rice and hemp, all with different nutritional profiles to choose from. Do you make them from milk and fruit, or is it a powder?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hi

I'm not sure about the eating disorder aspect either, but as long as you are eating enough calories, protein, good fats, etc. every day I'd think it would be okay?

I think it would be a great idea to read up on vegan nutrition, there is a great book called Becoming Vegan, that goes into all the nutrients that vegans need, the fats, iron, etc and which foods you can eat to get them.. Very easy reading and a good book. I'm wondering if learning more about all the different healthy foods and the nutrition that they have and what our bodies need, etc. would help in a positive way?

Hello,
    Firstly welcome to the forum

Secondly, I think it would be easy to replicate your milkshakes on a vegan diet, there are ready made ones that your can buy from health food shops/supermarkets or you can make your own using any plant milk you like (rice dream hazelnut almond contains more calories than full fat cows milk, but far less sat fat) and you can add calorie laden things such as peanut butter in as well.
    Their is a milk shake retailer called shakeaway, who make fantastic inventive milkshakes (some vegan), you could try their website for some inspiration Shakeaway.

Thirdly, what you might find is that sometimes Vegan foods can contain more calories than the non-vegan counterparts, E.G Tesco value chunky chicken is 120 cals per 100 grams, whereas Redwoods Vegi Deli chicken style pieces are 322 cals per 100 grams, so if you choose which products you go for carefully, you can get those calories in easily. A few weeks ago I was celebrating a special day and managed to pack in 4500 cals!!
    Obviously some foods are lower in calories as well, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

Take care

Hi laces! It's good to hear you're working on recovery. Can you talk to your dietitian about creating a vegan meal plan for you?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

leedsveg

Hi laces and welcome to the forum. Every good wish from me on improving your health and 'veganising' your diet.

Leedsveg

Thanks for all your welcomes and helpful replies! I'll be sure to check that book out, and talk to my dietitian. Thanks for the advice about milk, it's a nutritional drink that I have so I mix it up at home, but I checked the ingredients and it said it contains cows milk powder, pretty annoying! The rice dream hazelnut almond milk sounds like a really good idea though. I've heard of hemp milk, which is supposedly really good for you but haven't been able to find some yet. I did see some chocolate oat milk in the health food shop that looked interesting though! At the moment I am using soya milk which I don't really like that much.

Thanks again for all your advice. ^_^

Hi all the best with your recovery.

I have seen people gain weight on a vegan diet, some would envy anyone who sets out to gain weight, enjoy it.

I hope your dietitian's meal plan helps. I hope to work in the field soon.

I found replacing ensure w/ vegan smoothies (soy/ rice milk combo, a banana, and some berries) twice a day helped me. I also added hempseeds and a soy yogurt to my breakfast oatmeal. And cut back on coffee!!

Bailey

hi laces
    I'm in the same situation as you. I don't know if it is Ensure you're using but most of the milkshake type mixes do contain powdered milk (and maltodextrin and glucose syrup and all sorts of other goop) which really puts me off but having said that, they are very effective for weight gain.
    I've tried smoothies and they are a great idea but I found them much harder - practically (need to put them together, whizz 'em up, wash up all the stuff etc - doesn't sound that hard but when you're exhausted and have no time it's much easier to grab an ensure) and physically (I get a stomach ache on soy milk and I just don't like bananas) but I hope they work for you - experiment and see how it goes.

It's true that a lot of 'fake meats' have more calories than the real thing, but I personally don't like the idea of fake meat - I mean what's it made of? vegetable fats? Maybe there are some very healthy ones but I think I would prefer to trust an avocado or some nuts and edemame beans or something to get my fats and proteins.

I think you definitely CAN gain weight on a vegan diet. In fact I don't see veganism and anorexia going very well together at all. As an anorexic, I would tend to have teeny meals and then fill up on tea or coffee with milk. I can't do that without milk (I hate black tea/coffee) and I would have teeny dinners but fill up on low fat yoghurt. Or low-fat instant hot chocolate with sweeteners. All not possible on a vegan diet! Good vegan sources of protein include nuts which a lot of anorexics are terrified of.

Just be true to yourself and make sure your worst enemy is not behind this. If it's truly an ethical concern for animal welfare, you'll be equally worried about what you spend your money on as well as what you eat (IMO)

I have accused myself of just swapping one form of restriction (AN) for another (veganism) and I really don't think that's true, but even if it is, it's much healthier to be vegan than anorexic, so hooray!

I have to admit I am still really struggling to give up milk. The best substitute I've found is almond milk but it's very expensive and a bit too sweet (you can get unsweetened ones but not near me)

The other thing that bugs me is that to get protein a vegan relies a lot on legumes - beans, lentils etc - and that you do need a decent amount of them to get the equivalent protein as you would from a bit of chicken or fish. And because legumes also contain carbs, they can get rather filling. I think that what a lot of non-anorexics don't understand is that it's difficult - physically and psychologically - to eat larger volumes of food, especially if these types of food can make you feel quite full quite quickly.

Good luck, and I hope too your dietician can help. Let me know if you have any solutions - I'm a bit stuck with this one!

xXxXx

Hi Bailey. I know it's a bit expensive but seitan has a comparable amount of protein to fish or chicken.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hey there!

I've never struggled with an eating disorder, but I highly recommend you hop over to www.choosingraw.com - Gena is awesome, and she's a vegan who's a former anorexic. And since the topic is near and dear to her heart, she's written quite a few posts on it and has guests chime in with their stories too. Here are a couple specific posts that you might enjoy...

http://www.choosingraw.com/green-rec...rdered-eating/
    http://www.choosingraw.com/is-it-veg...-based-eating/

Good luck!!!
    www.happy-vegan.com

Bailley, I understand what you're saying. I've dealt with an ED for 13 years. And since I'm sick and on my phone, I'll leave a short message now and just say this... Although eating filling/ different/ more foods is hard both physically and psychologically, you have to do as well as you can physically to recover. The psychological issues take so much longer to heal. I am still conflicted. It's a life long battle. But if I eat (which, by no means is easy, but IS achievable), I can prevent further physical damage and focus on healing the emotional issues causing the ED. Does that make sense?

Bailey

hi guys
    I hope I haven't hijacked somebody's post....thank you so much for your suggestions. I haven't seen seitan for sale anywhere and I'm not sure I want to go on a mission to find it (I sort of like the idea of no-meat fitting easily into my lifestyle to prove it's not that difficult!) - the other thing I haven't tried yet is tempeh, that could be an ED thing since it looks quite, er, dense.... is it nice?
    Elleminnowpea, are you vegan? Have you managed to get better from ED on vegan diet?

I think there's another thread about this topic somewhere but you have to be a vegan to be able to read it.

Thanks and I hope laces is still reading and finding it helpful.
    B x

I'm on my phone once again, still flu-ish, so here goes:

I guess you could say I'm weight restored, mostly physically recovered, but mentally struggling a lot. Sometimes I have an easier time than others. It depends on my stress levels, triggers, etc just like on any "diet" (vegan or omni). For me, the idea of veg*nism came about right around the time my ED started (11). I became vegetarian. I wouldnt say that helped or made worse my ED. I would have struggled either way. I processed a lot of stuff at 15 and realized that vegetarianism was extremely important to me and wasn't part of my ED. I went vegan at 19 and I found it a lot easier to eat bc the food was healthier and I didn't have any (more) reasons to feel guilty about eating. I was actually successful at gaining weight on a vegan diet over he past 5 years. It took me about 2 years to put the weight on. I think I'll be in recovery forever, rather than recovered. But it's worth every psychological hardship I've had. Because I wouldn't be alive today. Honestly.

Quote Bailey View Post
    hi guys
    I hope I haven't hijacked somebody's post....thank you so much for your suggestions. I haven't seen seitan for sale anywhere and I'm not sure I want to go on a mission to find it (I sort of like the idea of no-meat fitting easily into my lifestyle to prove it's not that difficult!) - the other thing I haven't tried yet is tempeh, that could be an ED thing since it looks quite, er, dense.... is it nice?
    Elleminnowpea, are you vegan? Have you managed to get better from ED on vegan diet?

I think there's another thread about this topic somewhere but you have to be a vegan to be able to read it.

Thanks and I hope laces is still reading and finding it helpful.
    B x
    Hi Bailey
    With regards to Setian & Tempeh you can get them both from here but they are out of seitan at the mo. You can also buy them from this site.
    Seitan is also available in Holland and Barrett in tins called "Mock Duck" and you can usually get Tempeh from health food shops & goodness direct.
    Tempeh can be quite dense, its a lot more "meaty" than Tofu and tastes completely different - it can be an acquired taste but once you get used to it, its very nice - far nicer than tofo IMO.

My personal opinion (not professional one), is a switch to veganism could probably help and/or hurt ED recovery...depending on how you approach it and why you want to do it. If veganism appeals to your moral side and your compassion for living beings, I think it can lead you to be more thoughtful about what you eat and why. Adopting a sort of reverence, if you will...rather than treating food as something you use, abuse, or look upon as entertainment or emotional fulfillment. While I know it's really difficult, putting your own body and health in the category of beings needing compassion can help you nourish yourself kindly and mindfully. I imagine it will take practice and vigilance so as to not become obsessive about every little morsal of food, and to not punish yourself if you mistakenly eat the wrong things. In other words, be careful not to replace caloric obsession with ingredient obsession. Give yourself time and let go of the perfectionism that could take the pleasure out of doing a wonderful and ethical thing for yourself and the planet. Good luck! I think it's a good thing you're doing.

From a personal note I went vegetarian as a means to try and help myself with issues with food. It wasn't an ethical choice to start off with. The more I learnt about animal welfare and food and the food industry, I then became vegan. It was at this point I fell in love with food.

Becoming vegan for me was more about ethical reasons, but looking back on it now it aided my recovery in a huge way. I'm currently heavier than I have ever been, and although I still have bad days with body image etc, I am generally pretty happy with how I am at the moment.

When turning vegan I had something else to concentrate on with regards to my diet, and something I enjoyed doing: cooking. Like a lot of people that have had issues with food, I have always enjoyed the preparation and making of food, but not really enjoyed eating it. That's changed now. I see veganism as a sort of celebration of food; I enjoy cooking, eating, sharing my love of food with those around me. Christ, that sounded cheesy!! Haha.

With regards to your weight gain with the shakes, do you mean you drink protein shakes? If so, there are some on the market these days that are soya based you could try. I used to have strawberry soya isolate when I worked out a lot. You could drink that with soya milk and it would help gain a few lbs. But don't use that as your only intake of calories, protein etc. Look through this site, go to vegweb (search frosty in the recipe section ), scour the web and book stores for recipes. There's tons of great food out there.

I hope veganism works for you, and you manage to put on some weight and start feeling healthy in body and mind.
    I like football. And potatoes.

my mother-in-law had to have those awful shakes while trying to regain enough weight to survive surgery. Post-op she found a patient support group that was very holistic and she transitioned to avocado shakes and also a cashew one: soak raw nuts overnight and wizz up with enough water til creamy.
    I actually like the cashews with cooked pumpkin as soup. pumpkin seeds and frozen raspberries are great too. Avocado sweetened 'milk' and a bit of vanilla icy cold is great
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Laces, have you seen anyone from your treatment team? Because you are still quite underweight, it might be wise to get a blood test for electrolyte levels and BUN/ creatinine levels to make sure it's medically safe to change your diet. Weight gain shakes like ensure are used to stabilize severely ill patients... I wouldn't want to endanger you. (I have a heart problem, so I get worried about that stuff). If you're medically stable, you can talk to a dietitian about a vegan meal plan for weight gain. It may take a little longer to gain the weight, but it's definitely possible.

I just have one word for you: FRUIT, FRUIT, and more FRUIT.
    you may want to check this site www.30bananasaday.com
    Fruit is the healthiest food for us so it'd help you recover a good healthy approach to food and
    it doesn't require cooking
    Also, it's very nutritious (but you gotta slowly learn to eat moreand more of it)
    so it'll help you with calories.
    All the best.