Thread: 4000 years without fish

Default 4000 years without fish

Some people have a tendency to claim that humans 'always' have been eating this or that - like eg. fish and meat. They probably don't know much about cultures that has been (and is) living on a meat/fish free diet in other parts of the world for thousands of years.

Like many others, that may have been thinking of Europeans only, and assumed that we 'always' have been eating fish.

According to professor Michael Richards from the Max Planck Institute in Leipzig, there was a long period (starting ca. 4000 BC) where people from Great Britain and many other Europeans didn't eat fish at all. The period lasted for circa 4000 years, and in some areas, like the Orkney Islands, it was only when the Norwegian Vikings arrived that they started to eat fish again.

More (in Norwegian) here.

Default Re: 4000 years without fish

Nobody likes to think of the fact that fish actually already serve as mobile water filters, picking up toxins from the sea and dumping into whoever eats them. Some even insist that this a non-issue and made up by fanatical veg*n activists. These people may be interested in these news, which should confirm that toxic metals in fish actually is something to have in mind for fish eaters:

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...re-safe-to-eat

Not needed or relevant for vegans or vegetarians, of course - but humans have actually developed a chip which determines if the fish considered as potential food is safe in terms of mercury and other toxic metals - instead of just avoiding eating it.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Korn View Post
    Nobody likes to think of the fact that fish actually already serve as mobile water filters, picking up toxins from the sea and dumping into whoever eats them. Some even insist that this a non-issue and made up by fanatical veg*n activists.
    This was something I learned from an OU (Open University) broadcast sometime in the 70's. (Still in my "How do I like my steak? Just pull off it's horns and wipe its ass, waiter, please!!" phase then. I was.)

The bearded gentleman presenting, resplendent in open toe sandals, purple cordorouy flairs, paisley shirt and stripey tank top (all OU people dress by covering themselves in glue and then running naked through their local charity shop. It's an OU 'law', I think) used a food chain diagram to illustrate his point.

Vegans didnt' exist then because not eating meat daily caused instant death in those days. Except in the unlikely instance of a Zombie apocalypse being in full swing vegan plots could therefore be safely ruled out.

I do remember this though; There was no concept of not eating contiminated fish whatsoever in my head at the time. The only possible concept I could grasp was one by which people needed to stop dumping mercury in the sea and messing up my 'food'.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    The bearded gentleman presenting, resplendent in open toe sandals, purple cordorouy flairs, paisley shirt and stripey tank top (all OU people dress by covering themselves in glue and then running naked through their local charity shop. It's an OU 'law', I think)
    Haha, that image made me laugh! Although I have purple cords (not flairs though), hmmm...
    Houmous atá ann!

Nuts and lower levels of Vitamin D increased our cranial size.

Let me know if you want scientific evidence and can handle the truth.