Thread: Vegan foods available in the US but not UK/Ireland

Default Vegan foods available in the US but not UK/Ireland

I'm going to be spending some time in the US soon and I'm very interested to get suggestions for foods to try while there that I can't get here (Ireland). Suggestions??

Default Re: Vegan foods available in the US but not UK/Ireland

Oreos ? The American vegans seem to rave about them, or at least they show up in threads every so often, but the European Oreos aren't vegan. If for nothing else you should try them just so we can say "they aren't that good really"

Also try that Daiya vegan cheese... it gets good reviews and some say it's better than Redwoods Cheezly and it stretches... do report back on that!

I like your question, if I can think of anything else I'll come back to it.

Chipotle chillis in adobo sauce! I've been trying to get hold of them for days and it's impossible, I would have to mail-order them at great expense it seems! In fact, I suggest going through Appetite for Reduction and taking a look at the recipes in there. If there's anything you'd fancy making and can't think where you'd get the ingredients that's a good bet!

Oh, and vital wheat gluten, if you want to try your hand at making seitan, that's another one that's hard to find here, and I imagine might be difficult to find in Ireland too.

...and be sure to try at least a few of the many flavours of ice cream that we don't seem to get a sniff of!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    Oh, and vital wheat gluten, if you want to try your hand at making seitan, that's another one that's hard to find here, and I imagine might be difficult to find in Ireland too.

We can't get Vital Wheat Gluten here either (Belgium) so what I do is go to a flour mill and buy gluten flour from them in bulk. Flour mills use gluten flour to improve bread flour (making it "strong flour"). I think you should be able to find gluten flour at flour mills in the UK/Ireland as well.

Just in case anyone wants Oreos or Vital Wheat Gluten;

Last time I checked the Oreos in Costco were vegan and a check (made whilst posting this) found VWG being sold on eBay.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Vegan marshmallows. I know you can get them in the UK but I've never seen them in Ireland.
    Houmous atá ann!