Thread: The Vegan Boulangerie

Post The Vegan Boulangerie

I've just ordered this as my 32/33rd Vegan cookbook, has anyone got it already, what are your thoughts? I'm looking to start cooking more food from scratch and French food sounds really good, I've already got A Vegan taste of France but I dont find it very inspiring.

Default Re: The Vegan Boulangerie

I haven't got it, but it's on my Amazon wishlist, I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I haven't got it, but it's on my Amazon wishlist, I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it!
    It should come this week, its got a couple of good reviews on Amazon but I will give a full report one it has been delivered.

It arrived this afternoon (the postman came at 3:30? what happened to the days of post arriving in the morning?) anyway its brilliant.
    Some of the recipes sound fantastic and there are loads of things that I have never heard of but cant wait to try.

There is a section on bread, the second section details how to make different types of pastry, and a lot of the recipes in the following sections reference the pastry recipes (I.E for this recipe you will need 500grams of shortcrust pastry from page 36 etc), but there are some independent recipes as well such as Macaroons and Madeleines.

The only downside to some of the recipes is that you need specific tools like Madeleine moulds (although you could wing it) and that a lot of the titles are in French so I just spent 30 minutes googling them.

I am going to love working through this book.

I've been thinking of getting this book for a while, have you made anything from it? Will you let us know how it turns out?!

Of course, I made profiteroles, which were actually quite good. I watched a TV show years ago that said when you make choux (non vegan) you had to scoop out gloop from the middle once the baking was finished and then fill it with cream etc. A lot of recipes dont need you to that anymore but for some reason these had gloop inside that needed scraping out. Apart from that they were good. I filled them with custard & covered in dark chocolate. There is a picture posted here.
    Other than that I have not made anything else yet - but will be making lunettes next. It also has some good bread recipes and sandwich ideas as well

Yeah traditional choux/eclairs doesn't need scooping out stuff after baking, they puff in the oven and end up hollow by themselfs. These are one of the things I would like to see veganized.

It might have been that I didn't cook them for long enough, I remember an old TV cookery show presenter (think it was Franny Craddock) lecturing about not getting gloopy choux, I will try baking for longer next time.

hope it goes well! looks fantastic!

I have it and I think it's really good, even though it's lacking in pictures. The Quiche Lorraine on p. 88 is absolutely fantastic. Also it's written by people living in the UK, so the ingredients are all gettable.

it does sound very tempting! Most certainly one of my future purchases I think!

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

I've just started a blog for vegans and vegetarians on their way to veganism. I live in Italy and am posting lots of Italian dishes. If you have a few favorite recipes from the french or another of your 33 books, I'd appreciate it if you'd add the recipe to the blog. www.thyoga.blogspot.com

I'll see what I can come up with. One of my fave's at the moment is Chickpea Romesco from Veganomicon.

I got this a while back but haven't had time to make anything from it yet.

I know it'll sound pretty dumb, but I was put off by the uninspiring layout.

I'm glad to see positive responses in here though. I REALLY want vegan croissants.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.