Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures of good vegan food you've eaten! (2)

Default Re: Pictures of good vegan food you've eaten! (2)

Was using burger buns cheating?

They look rubbish. Ewww, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, mate. Way too much spinach for a normal person, too. I hope you get really fat from all the iron.

Haha, am loving the LouiseAbel/Lentils cook-off drama
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Haha, am loving the LouiseAbel/Lentils cook-off drama
    Cheers, he said mine looked fat.

Quote LouiseAbel

Cheers, he said mine looked fat.
    The cheek of him! hahaha
    Houmous atá ann!

Personally I prefer fat burgers

Yessss, 1-0! Thanks. I do too.

Smoky tempeh (Fakin Bacon), spinach, tomato, noyannaise, and alfalfa sprouts on Ezekial toast with sweet corn and sweet potato mash. This was epicly delicious!
    See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.

First attempt at (gluten-free and vegan) samosas:

Quinoa, spinach, mushroom, red pepper, onion and oat burger spiced with Bassar Masala and served with raw onions, cucumber, tomatoes and spinach

Bassar Masala is a very common Pakistani spice mix and is often the only spicing used in takeaway curry houses in the UK so if you're trying to emulate that same taste in your home cooking then I highly recommend it, you can get it very cheaply online or from south asian shops. The ingredients are: Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Mustard Oil, Fenugreek Leaves, Cumin Powder, Bay Leaves, Mustard Seeds, Cardamom Powder, Cinnamon Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Cloves, Fenugreek Powder and Nutmeg Powder.

God you think you're so clever.

That's really interesting, though. I always wonder why I can never get my curries to taste like proper ones; they always taste English!

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    God you think you're so clever.

That's really interesting, though. I always wonder why I can never get my curries to taste like proper ones; they always taste English!
    Mine were always bland and awful, until my Indian brother in laws mother taught me. The main thing I was getting wrong was not frying the spices for long enough and not rying the onions until they were brown. Now I make my own paste with onions, garlic, ginger and my favourite spices and fry a few dollops for quite a while before adding veg/tomatoes. There are some great Indian cookery books out there which have spice mixes for all the different curries.

Whole wheat bagel pizzas. With tomatoes, red bell peppers, vegan pepperoni, green chilis, daiya, and basil
    See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.

Have been away for a bit and come back to some utterly amazing noms! Congrats all. I'm not at all hungry but still salivating at these photos and would gobble the lot in a flash! Thanks for (yet again) showing how delicious, varied and inspiring vegan food can be.
    Am I the only one who thought Louise Abel and Lentils both produced fantastic-looking burgers? Win-win!
    Live and let live

I think those burgers look awesome! I have never had any luck with making vegan burgers. I have tried making wild rice burgers, lentil burgers, black bean oat burgers, and a few others and they always seem to fall apart or come out messy. I have had some success with falafel patties. And of course portobello burgers are hard to mess up.

Jerk tempeh with sweet potato mash, sweet corn, and stirfried heirloom squash, red bell peppers, portobella mushrooms, and green beans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    I think those burgers look awesome! I have never had any luck with making vegan burgers. I have tried making wild rice burgers, lentil burgers, black bean oat burgers, and a few others and they always seem to fall apart or come out messy. I have had some success with falafel patties. And of course portobello burgers are hard to mess up.
    Have you tried flax "eggs" as a binding agent for your burgers?

Have you tried flax "eggs" as a binding agent for your burgers?
    It's been a while since I have made any type of burger but if I remember I am pretty sure I used flax egg for the binder. Do you guys fry, bake, broil, or cook your burgers in some other way?

I find burgers can be problematic. I think it's a case of practice and finding what works or not for you. I think it requires a 'feel' for the mixture. I tweak as I go to make sure it's neither too wet or dry. I like to use a cheapo plastic burger press that my Mum gave to me years ago. It produces a uniform burger shape. (I usually make 'em fat!) I lightly flour the board, burger press and my hands as I go and take it slowly and patiently. Then I find it best to let them chill for as long as poss before cooking them which does help them to stay in one piece in the pan. I'd like to be healthy and say I bake them but I find this produces a dry burger, so I'll fry them in a little oil, flipping carefully and as little as possible. If they seem a bit fragile, I'll bake them. If I think they'll be too dry like this, I'll finish them off in a frying pan if it looks like they'll hold up.

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    It's been a while since I have made any type of burger but if I remember I am pretty sure I used flax egg for the binder. Do you guys fry, bake, broil, or cook your burgers in some other way?
    pretty much always stir fry in veg oil, love making my own burgers. one of the best ingredients I think, which you can add to most types and gives a good burger colour and taste is a little bit of carob powder xx

- - - Updated - - -

Quote redshoes View Post
    I find burgers can be problematic. I think it's a case of practice and finding what works or not for you. I think it requires a 'feel' for the mixture. I tweak as I go to make sure it's neither too wet or dry. I like to use a cheapo plastic burger press that my Mum gave to me years ago. It produces a uniform burger shape. (I usually make 'em fat!) I lightly flour the board, burger press and my hands as I go and take it slowly and patiently. Then I find it best to let them chill for as long as poss before cooking them which does help them to stay in one piece in the pan. I'd like to be healthy and say I bake them but I find this produces a dry burger, so I'll fry them in a little oil, flipping carefully and as little as possible. If they seem a bit fragile, I'll bake them. If I think they'll be too dry like this, I'll finish them off in a frying pan if it looks like they'll hold up.
    a burger press sounds like a good idea, never thought of using or buying one, but might do now! x

I'll have to look into the burger press idea! The carob powder sounds wonderful too as an addition. I have a whole jar full at home I still need to use up.

This was dinner tonight (this plate is actually my husbands; he gets bigger portions because he has lost too much weight and is trying to gain):

[IMG]
    Vegan Baked Beans, Corn Fritters, Steamed Broccoli, Fresh Tomato with parsley
    [/IMG]

That looks tasty Robin! How do you make the corn fritters?

Here is what I cooked up today. We had soooo much heirloom squash of about 6 or 7 varieties from our weekly box the last two weeks, so I chopped it all up and made a squash casserole.

Quiche made with Vegg, Cheshire Sheese, Teeze Cheddar, onion, mushroom, home made fake bacon bits in a potato pastry:

Mmm. That looks lovely!

Thanks, what did you use for the topping on the casserole? It looks tasty

Panko bread crumbs with pepper and walnuts.

Thanks I will try that ( I have been looking for something to top a savoury casserole for a while )

BTW Firestorm, how do you like Vegg?

Quote EpicLibrarian View Post
    BTW Firestorm, how do you like Vegg?
    At first the whole idea freaked me out a bit but I have found it really good, so far I have used it in scrambled tofu, quiche, Vegg & soldiers and toad in the hole. It actually tastes like egg yolk (which again made me feel very weird until I got used to it) and I have now bought 2 more packs!
    It certainly has its uses (would probably be good in omelets etc), but it didn't really make my quiche or toad in the hole any better than normal.

ETA: by the way, I love the new avatar

That quiche looks absolutely killer Firestorm.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

^^^ As above. That quiche looks LUSH!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Thanks - you've all made me blush

emmy25

That quiche looks amazing Firestorm!! And I love the look of the squash casserole EpicLibrarian.

Last night I had Indian takeaway - roti bread, tofu pakora, vegetable madras and saffron rice.

A few nights ago I cooked some chana masala and brown rice for dinner.

That looks tasty Robin! How do you make the corn fritters?
    I used a nonvegan recipe that called for an egg and milk and just replaced the egg with egg replacer and used unsweetened almond milk. It was very simple: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, pinch of salt, butter (vegan earth balance), and almond milk, just enough to make some rounds for two people. I didnt want to bake a whole cornbread cake or muffins but wanted a cornbread type of deal with the beans. I baked them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper (sprayed with oil first) and when they were just about done I brushed the tops with a little bit of the earth balance butter (melted first). A funny thing about this. I have been meaning to clean that oven and had it on my list to do today. It's been a long long time since I last cleaned my oven. Well yesterday when I was baking the fritters the aluminum foil lining the bottom of the oven caught fire for some reason. The only way to put it out was to pull out the aluminum foil, which took some time. So the fritters were actually cooked with a flame! They turned out perfect. Go figure! Needless to say I spent an hour scrubbing my oven today.

BTW everyones dishes look so fantastic!

Here is the recipe I used, but here is how I changed it:

I used only stone ground corn meal, so 2 c cornmeal and no flour, and I used a few squeezes of agave rather than sugar. I am used to unsweetened cornbread, so I didn't want it too sweet. I was also out of soy milk so used almond milk instead, but I think it would be great either way!
    I forgot to say thanks for this recipe EpicLibrarian, I used it last week (the original recipe without your adaptations) and it was great (first time I've made corn bread) but I completely agree about the sweetness - I found it very cake like because of the sugar (so much so that I have been filling it with jam and eating as cake). I will be trying the adapted version next as I think it sounds even better.

Glad you enjoyed it! The cakey reason is also why I use only corn meal rather than a mixture of corn meal and wheat flour. It keeps the texture denser, which is how I like my cornbread.

Robin, glad you got that fire out! I thought that those fritters had to be fried. I will have to try them out soon. Thanks!

Beetballs, wholewheat spaghetti and salad:

Lunch: Guacmole seeded wrap with fruit wedges and nuts

PS - these massive portions aren't mine - my wife seems to be a bottomless pit, and never puts on any weight!
    Last edited by peanutbutter; Jun 5th, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

Those beetballs look yum!

They were! First time the wife hasn't felt the need put fake cheese on her pasta...win!

I am frightened of Beetballs! We got so many beets in our box last winter that anything with beets terrifies me.

Are they too earthy or sweet? They look amazing! Maybe I will have to try something like this next winter instead of sacrificing half my beets to the forest gods. LOL.

RubyDuby

my hubby will be so excited to see the vegg quiche! He's been stalking it on fb.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Lunch:

Dessert (microwave pudding):

Honestly, they are fantastic!

Pizza

with Cheezy Pasta

followed bu Buns for desert
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Carrot and cashew chilli-hummous wrap with bulgar wheat roasted veg salad and fruit

Baked potato w/baked beans and Scheese

Cheesy pasta bake, fried Clearspring sea cake tofu, chopped cucumber, various roasted vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes w/houmous & brown sauce
    Houmous atá ann!

My husband made me this delicious vegan chili! He is really great at seasoning.

Vegan tacos that could convert any omni!

emmy25

My husband made me this delicious vegan chili! He is really great at seasoning.

Vegan tacos that could convert any omni!
    What do you put in the tacos? They look amazing!!

what wonderful foodie pics - i really shouldn't look at this thread on an empty stomach!

Quote emmy25 View Post
    What do you put in the tacos? They look amazing!!
    These tacos are one of my quick go-to meals. They take about 10 minutes to make start to finish.
    I simply take some Boca mince and put it in a saucepan with about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water and put the lid on and let it cook til it is all thawed, then I add taco seasoning (I make my own with various dried spices, but you can use a package too) and canned pinto beans. On the tacos is just salsa, avocado, cilantro, and vegan sour cream. Easiest thing in the world to make!

Here are the spices I put together for the seasoning: chili powder, granulated garlic, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, and black pepper. You can add salt if you need to, but I rarely do because the boca has some salt in it already. You can sub real onions/garlic if you have the time!

Quote peanutbutter View Post

Carrot and cashew chilli-hummous wrap with bulgar wheat roasted veg salad and fruit
    This looks amazing!!

- - - Updated - - -

Omelette from Vegan Brunch filled with garlic mushrooms and spinach, with mini roast potatoes and baked beans.

Amazing cucumber salad from Jamie's 30 Minute Meals - seriously yum!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com