Thread: Forum Runner support!

Default Forum Runner support!

If you have an iOs or Android based mobile device, you can now use Forum Runner to access our forum.

More here:

http://www.forumrunner.net/

Problems with ForumRunner? Please post in this thread.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Forum Runner support!

Some info pasted from forumrunner.net:

What is Forum Runner?

Forum Runner is an Android/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App that allows you to browse this forum using a native client. This means faster access for those users since it only downloads the actual forum information rather than all the extraneous images that slow down the mobile connection.

Forum Runner Feature List
    • Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
    • Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
    • PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
    • Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
    • View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
    • Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
    • Fully search-able forums!
    • View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
    • Supports portrait AND landscape mode
    • Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
    • Full support for private messages and private message folders
    • Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!
    Some screen shots of Forum Runner running on various devices:

iPhone: Home Screen with customizable icons and notifications:

Push notification updates while outside the app:

Fully searchable forums:

Full forum browsing:

How can I get the Forum Runner iPhone Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the App Store on your iPhone, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from App Store

Get Forum Runner Free Version from App Store

How can I get the Forum Runner Android Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the Google Market on your Android device, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from Google Market

Get Forum Runner Free Version from Google Market

Thanks Korn, just installed forum runner on my I phone 4 and it seems to be working well. I could not get Tap talk to work with VF though. Read only versions are free but to be able to post replies you need to cough up £1.19 for Forum runner or £1.79 for Tap Talk.

I could not get Tap talk to work with VF though.
    Hi Neil,
    which problems did you have with TapaTalk?

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi Neil,
    which problems did you have with TapaTalk?
    I only tried the free version of Tapa Talk but could not even log in to VF. Maybe the free version has a time limit enabled as I had downloaded TT free a while back.

Korn could you tell me briefly what is involved cost and time wise to enable a vBulletin site for smart phones as I am thinking of emailing a couple of other sites I use.

I tried the forum skin mobile style ( third try ) and thought it was worse than the ordinary web site view on the i phone although I have seen mobile skins that work well.

Hi Neil! Hope all is well in the sunny Potteries

I have the paid version of TT on iPhone 4, and I find it very good for browsing the site. I know it costs a couple of quid, but it is a lot easier than using Safari with the main skin and also the mobile skin. And you're not using your data usage as much by using the app instead of Safari.

I have paid for ForumRunner and TapaTalk, and although I have only spent today on them, I would say that TT is worth the money over FR. I would recommend.
    I like football. And potatoes.

RE. 'Mobile Style (third try'): right now, I'm investigating in some changes we've had to some skins today as a result of adding an apparently great modification which optimizes the forum. Maybe the Mobile Style has been affected by this as well - las time I tried it, it worked quite well (although with a limited feature set).

To implement support for TapaTalk and Forum Runner is quite simple, and well explained on their sites. Unless one is aiming for a customized/dedicated app (for each forum), it's also free - although I guess customer support, if needed, isn't free. The only drawback is that - in your case - one of the two apps don't work.

If the plan is to make a customized version of vBulletin's own mobile app, one needs a license ($99/year?) + some expenses for iOs/Android developer accounts.

Please retry the Mobile Style now... If you get an error message, go to the main URL (www.veganforum.com) and see if that helps.

Maybe your problems with TapaTalk, Neil, would be fixed by downloading a newer version?

Korn, Just tried the mobile skin again and it works quite good except for being a bit slow.

I have installed the paid version of Tapatalk and it works fine now and Seems to have the edge on Forum runner like Frosty said.